• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Games' Hiraoka: Business to Continue as Before

Eusis

Because Atlus has never done free to play and Pachinko games before. Nope. Definitely not a Persona 3 Pachinko. Nor have they done a Persona F2P game. :p

(Thank you conBLACK for the image. >.>)
The real problem is always when this crowds out their core content. Which is effectively what happened with SE (though it's probably more that much of their staff got swallowed up by FFXIV and FFXV) and we saw with Capcom deciding they can go bring back a NUMBERED BoF as a social F2P game. When it's stuff on the side while they still make the games we want it's just extra cash on the side, or spin-offs we can disregard.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The real problem is always when this crowds out their core content. Which is effectively what happened with SE (though it's probably more that much of their staff got swallowed up by FFXIV and FFXV) and we saw with Capcom deciding they can go bring back a NUMBERED BoF as a social F2P game. When it's stuff on the side while they still make the games we want it's just extra cash on the side, or spin-offs we can disregard.

Is it really that much of a concern with sega though?

pirata

Sega's going to find some way to fuck this up eventually. But in the meantime, Persona 5 is still probably going to release just as planned...someday. When my hair is gray.

Sophia

This isn't really a concern, and even if it was Atlus has put out some decently high quality spinoffs in the past. I aint worried. :p

IrishNinja

great news thus far, and again, given sega's treatment of its recent teams, to be expected

This is the Atlus USA CEO right? so they'll still be handling localisation for now?

you reassured a bit now, m'man? haha...i'm 100% with you in hoping the logical outcome is them utilizing the top-tier localization teams, another area they're clearly weak these days (as your posts reminded me).

I do agree with charlequin and all, but I do believe that Hiraoka was going to say something no matter what (especially with concerns to stockholders). It's how business works (heck, just look at how important investor confidence is in this world).

As yesterday went on, I thought that this could still be a beneficial move in the long term and it might be. However, like Mauricio_Magus, since Etrian Odyssey 5 is still in the infant stages (if it will get made at all) I'll believe it when I see it and if it's going to be exactly like EO4 then it isn't going to matter one bit in the end.

Omikaru

The only thing that really worries me at this point is EU distribution. I expect timely releases from now on, but I'll probably have to wind up importing all their games anyway, because Sega Europe doesn't release physical games over here unless someone else handles it.

Coxy

great news thus far, and again, given sega's treatment of its recent teams, to be expected

you reassured a bit now, m'man? haha...i'm 100% with you in hoping the logical outcome is them utilizing the top-tier localization teams, another area they're clearly weak these days (as your posts reminded me).

we're halfway towards "crazy optimistic outcome" so yeah, hopefully we get that too.

Have been wincing a little at the awesomeness of the Yakuza Ishin TGS trailers though. I need that Majima musical in my life

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only thing that really worries me at this point is EU distribution. I expect timely releases from now on, but I'll probably have to wind up importing all their games anyway, because Sega Europe doesn't release physical games over here unless someone else handles it.

At least sega isn't dumb enough to regionlock their PS3 games.

amardilo

To summarise; everything will carry on as normal, except now we have a european distribution arm!

That would do nicely for me.

On a related note I wonder what is going to happen to all of the other businesses owned by Index.

I'm guessing the businesses in which Index does not own 100% will continue as is and sort of be managed/monitored like Sega Sammy do with Sanrio (makers of Hello Kitty stuff). But do Index fully own an other businesses other than Atlus?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Here's the full statement from Hiraoka.

Dear fans and customers,

I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for your support of Atlus products.

As announced Tuesday through various news channels, we are going to continue with our business operations as part of Sega Sammy Holdings effective November 1, 2013.

As you may already know, Index Corporation filed for Civil Rehabilitation Proceedings in Japan on June 27 and since then, has been searching for a solution which would allow us to continue our business of making great games.

Atlus has consistently received support and praise from our faithful and our respected customers, and made great progress in recent years. So the recent incident must have surprised and worried all of you dearly. For that, I would like to express my deepest apologies.

We have nurtured a great relationship with Sega Inc. for a long time, especially concerning our consumer games business in Japan. I believe the collaboration between the two companies at this time will be mutually beneficial for the following reasons:

• Sega understands our drive to achieve quality and to expand awareness of the Atlus brand.
  • Our respective strengths in game development complement each other well.
  • We are extremely happy to be able to continue with our business, and be able to report this good news to our fans and customers. Again, we would like to express our gratitude to everyone who has supported us.
  • Currently, we at the Consumer Software Division in Japan are focusing on developing future titles, and are willing to take on new challenges to further achieve growth and success.

Please stay tuned for future updates.

Naoto Hiraoka

President and CEO

Top Bottom