• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention Original Xbox owners - Remove the Time Capacitor before it's too late!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know mine still works, as I have hooked it up recently, but what you're saying is that keeping it in the hot attic is probably a bad idea?

No. I was more saying that electrics in humid environments and areas will have moisture build up and the like. Same with dust. If you don't open the system up and clean it out, it'll break eventually.

This doesn't mean you can't put your systems in the attic and the like: You totally can. The system will be fine... but you should probably open it up if you're planning to use it again to knock dust out and check for water damage/etc. before turning it on.

As for capacitors: this will explain. The short gist is: These capacitors keep a small "charge" in them (in the case of the X-box, to keep the clock running) and these capacitors will "leak" acid like most electronic devices eventually if they're like the capacitors the X-box has.

What i'm really surprised by is that the hard drives in most/all original xboxes aren't dead by now. Mechanical hard drives lasting past 5 years is usually a gamble. we're at over 10 for many that were manufactured now.

Replacing the hard drive is a much bigger pain in the ass than this is because only certain drives work and they're getting very old as well.

scitek

What i'm really surprised by is that the hard drives in most/all original xboxes aren't dead by now. Mechanical hard drives lasting past 5 years is usually a gamble. we're at over 10 for many that were manufactured now.

Replacing the hard drive is a much bigger pain in the ass than this is because only certain drives work and they're getting very old as well.

I have a softmodded one with all of my games on the HDD. I'd assume it'd be harder to replace the HDD and re-softmod it now since my PC doesn't have any IDE ports. I haven't kept up.

I ripped it out of my 2001 launch xbox. I did see some corrosion around it but maybe not too bad. Oddly enough it doesn't ask me for date/time everytime i start the system

It does do this everytime i unplug the system. But it did that before. So maybe it was already busted before i removed it

Dizzy-4U

I have a softmodded one with all of my games on the HDD. I'd assume it'd be harder to replace the HDD and re-softmod it now since my PC doesn't have any IDE ports. I haven't kept up.
The pain in the ass comes from finding a compatible hdd since you need to "lock" it for it to run and you can't do that with all hdds. There are a lot of sata hdds that are compatible with the Xbox though and you can simply use one of these adapters:

img_4900344js40.jpg

Use this list to see if your hdd is compatible: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Replacing the Hdd is not that hard, there is a tool called Chimp that you run from the Xbox (if it's already softmodded of course). If you have both Hdds connected to the xbox, you can clone the master disk into the new one. After that, you "lock" the new drive with the same software and done.

Gotta check my launch xbox, my second xbox was bought in November 2004 gotta check the version number, launch xbox is modded and case customize so it shouldn't take more than 2mins to check it out..

Lurch666

Collecting retro computers and consoles has taught me that those type of capacitors ALL have the danger of leaking/deteriorating.

Even though that particular capacitor on the xbox is the most lightly to leak ANY electrolytic can eventually go that way.The same goes for the batterys other systems used to keep the time.It's just something that goes with old electronics-some components don't last forever.

Got an old gamegear? Screen dim and missing sound? Chances are that the tiny caps in it need replacing (the caps in a gamegear wont leak they just stop working properly).

Power supply smoking on a bbc micro or commodore PET? PSU smoothing capacitor blown.

televator

I cleaned out an xbox I got off craigslist and I noticed some mess around that very capacitor. Thanks to this info, I've gone back in and twisted it off. So that residue is acid? Okay, I gotta clean that off the board then.

eXistor

Ripped mine out of my launch Xbox a few hours ago. Seemed to look okay, no leakage but I suppose it was bound to happen someday anyway so it's good to have it out of there. Ended up playing some Conker for a few hours :)

stn

Crap. I'm too stupid with tech stuff to be able to do this, I'll probably break my console somehow. Guess I'll just live with the leaking and hope I haven't been affected yet.

Collecting retro computers and consoles has taught me that those type of capacitors ALL have the danger of leaking/deteriorating.

Even though that particular capacitor on the xbox is the most lightly to leak ANY electrolytic can eventually go that way.The same goes for the batterys other systems used to keep the time.It's just something that goes with old electronics-some components don't last forever.

Got an old gamegear? Screen dim and missing sound? Chances are that the tiny caps in it need replacing (the caps in a gamegear wont leak they just stop working properly).

Power supply smoking on a bbc micro or commodore PET? PSU smoothing capacitor blown.

I have a Dreamcast, PS1 and Ps2 , do you know if any of those have a time capacitor or something that need to be care of?

flux1

I did this to both of mine last year when I swapped out the hard drives in them. For anyone getting an IDE to SATA adapter, I recommend getting two if they are cheap. I bought two, same exact models, and one will work in in both xboxes and one in neither of them.

eXistor

Crap. I'm too stupid with tech stuff to be able to do this, I'll probably break my console somehow. Guess I'll just live with the leaking and hope I haven't been affected yet.

Did you see the video in the OP? I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to stuff like this and I was able to do it no problems, there's literally zero skill involved. I was lucky my dad had the right torque screwdrivers though, otherwise I wouldn't even get past step 1. You don't need a soldering iron or anything.

scitek

The pain in the ass comes from finding a compatible hdd since you need to "lock" it for it to run and you can't do that with all hdds. There are a lot of sata hdds that are compatible with the Xbox though and you can simply use one of these adapters:

img_4900344js40.jpg

Use this list to see if your hdd is compatible: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Replacing the Hdd is not that hard, there is a tool called Chimp that you run from the Xbox (if it's already softmodded of course). If you have both Hdds connected to the xbox, you can clone the master disk into the new one. After that, you "lock" the new drive with the same software and done.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the info. I'll dive into it all soon and change out the hard drive. I have two Xboxes, one was a launch model my family won from a Taco Bell giveaway. Still works fine, but its disc drive stopped working years ago.

system11

So many modern capacitors are low quality, this isn't really a surprise. I collect arcade stuff, I have loads of games with caps on them 30 years old, no problem. There are also newer games I have to totally recap as soon as they come through the door because leaks are 'when' not 'if'.

TheChaos0

TheChaos0 you've changed the future. you've created a time paradox.

I'll just have to go back to the future and fix it.

There was no way in hell this thread wasn't going to end up having Emmet Brown and Back to the Future references, was there? :p

Who knew, right? ;)

Phew, my crystal is 1.6 so no need to remove anything.

Apparently the capacitors are of better quality. Htye may eventually leak, the problem is that you can't remove it from 1.6 Xboxes, you would need to replace it.

It's very easy.You just need to unscrew the top and there are only 3 screws inside, disconnect the hard drive and the dvd reader, pull them up, locate the capacitor and remove it. Check out the video I have posted.

I've just disassembled my Xbox and watching the video posted in the OP at the same time. The layout looks different. I have a UK PAL machine from 2003. In the video it's advised to look for the capacitor Q7G1 which I've located but it doesn't seem like it's a capacitor. I don't know what it's called but it's secured onto the board in a horizontal position. There is a capacitor in the same location specified in the video but it doesn't have the same code designation.

What should I do?

Right. So I figured it out and although the numbering looked different it was the same capacitor nonetheless atleast according to another guide that had the same layout as mine.

http://dannygalaga.com/pictures/DSCN0959c.JPG

In this picture in the bottom left hand corner there are 3 capacitors. The one I removed is the capacitor to the right of the big one. I think it's still the same but the layout was slightly different.

Anyway, everything goes accordingly. I'm putting the Xbox back together, screwed everything in and ready to plug in. Well, as soon as I turn the power on, I hear electric noises from the back and the Xbox does actually power on green for a second or atleast the led of the modchip powers on briefly before turning off. I keep on pressing the on/off button but no dice. If I disconnect and wait for a few minutes and try again the same thing happens. Makes an electrical noise, lights up for 1 second and then turns off. I've tried 3 different power leads and the same thing. I don't think it would have had anything to do with the capacitor removal as it was a fairly simple process. The Xbox however hasn't been turned on in many years though. I don't know.

Any Ideas? Really hope it hasn't gone as I used it for retro gaming.

TheChaos0

Right. So I figured it out and although the numbering looked different it was the same capacitor nonetheless atleast according to another guide that had the same layout as mine.

http://dannygalaga.com/pictures/DSCN0959c.JPG

In this picture in the bottom left hand corner there are 3 capacitors. The one I removed is the capacitor to the right of the big one. I think it's still the same but the layout was slightly different.

Anyway, everything goes accordingly. I'm putting the Xbox back together, screwed everything in and ready to plug in. Well, as soon as I turn the power on, I hear electric noises from the back and the Xbox does actually power on green for a second or atleast the led of the modchip powers on briefly before turning off. I keep on pressing the on/off button but no dice. If I disconnect and wait for a few minutes and try again the same thing happens. Makes an electrical noise, lights up for 1 second and then turns off. I've tried 3 different power leads and the same thing. I don't think it would have had anything to do with the capacitor removal as it was a fairly simple process. The Xbox however hasn't been turned on in many years though. I don't know.

Any Ideas? Really hope it hasn't gone as I used it for retro gaming.

Would have been good, if you checked that it worked before the disassembly. Was there any leakage on the motherboard from the capacitor? Doesn't sound too good to me. Sounds like it fails some check and powers down.

Well that sucks because I am never going to go through all those steps to remove a tiny capacitor. I am not the kind of person who tinkers with this kind of stuff or has any of the tools to even attempt it.
Quoting myself because after 3 or 4 days of seeing this active thread, I finally said fuck it and gave this a shot.

And...mission accomplished. Never thought I'd be able to successfully do something like this, but I totally did. To be honest, the capacitor looked fine to me, no leakage that i could see, but I pulled it just the same.

Anyway, if I can do this, anyone can. Provided you have that weird screwdriver thing, which I was surprisingly able to find in a toolbox. Kind of proud of myself right now.

Yoday

I did this last night, and I'm glad I did because the capacitor was leaking pretty heavily. I'm glad I saw this and was able to preserve my Xbox.

Here's the problem with you guys hoping for a later model Xbox.

A lot of later model Xboxs won't output progressive scan on certain early Sega titles like Jet Set Radio Future.

For one thing, the JSRF on the Sega GT 2002 disc works fine on 1.6 boxes in 480p. That said, if your Xbox can run games off the HDD (softmodded, hardmodded, whatever) you can use a recently-released patched XBE to restore 480p for GunValkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah leaking capacitors - the bane of retro collectors.

No systems suffer from these types of problems more than NEC hardware. PC Engine, Duos, TurboGrafx, Turbo Express, etc. Lots of failing caps in those systems resulting in all sorts of problems.

n64coder

I have a v1.0 xbox and my cap was leaking slightly. What are people using to clean up the board of the residue? The video mentioned vinegar.

I modded it awhile ago. Replaced the GPU fan with a better noiseless heatsink. Also put in a new case fan. Nice and quiet.

Cheerilee

What are people using to clean up the board of the residue? The video mentioned vinegar.

If it's like a leaky battery, then you need lemon juice or vinegar to neutralize the acid.

If there's a lot of mess, wipe the majority of the mess off. Then dip a Q-tip in lemon juice or vinegar and dab the dirty spot. If it starts fizzing and hissing, then the two kinds of acid are killing each other. Don't breathe the fumes. Keep going until the lemon or vinegar wins, then wipe the remainder off.

Top Bottom