• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Desktop/Homescreen/Whatever Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengoku

Here's mine, pretty simple so far, its my first proper Hackintosh build :)

6U5Iz.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Laptop:

(Source.)

PC:

(Source.)

Edit: I just noticed the pinned taskbar icon arrangement is different in both, haha. I should fix that.

Threi

notag
Just a tip for people: Minus has thumbnail resizing just like imgur (right there as the "forum code" link when you upload the pic), so no extra effort required. Unlike imgur, minus doesn't re-compress images, so you won't get ugly, compressed images.

As incredibly easy as it is it would be nice if more people use it. The code generated automatically links the image to the fullsize anyways for people to see.

I updated all my desktop setups in the OP to reflect this, see for yourself.

Jasoco

Banned
I've never seen any evidence of Imgur compressing my images.

But I just tried out Minus and damn, they have an app for my menubar to upload images from my desktop without opening the site. Switching right now!

Except I just noticed for some reason it changed the sharpness of my sample image. But it seems it just does that for the thumbnails so that's good.

Thanks! This is kind of better than Imgur. Which wouldn't have been worse if it weren't for the lack of making sure you are logged in at all times. If this Minus app keeps me logged in, I am all for it.

Edit: And there's a Chrome extension with a contextual upload menu? SOLD!

Threi

notag
Jasoco said:

But I just tried out Minus and damn, they have an app for my menubar to upload images from my desktop without opening the site. Switching right now!

Except I just noticed for some reason it changed the sharpness of my sample image. But it seems it just does that for the thumbnails so that's good.

Thanks! This is kind of better than Imgur. Which wouldn't have been worse if it weren't for the lack of making sure you are logged in at all times. If this Minus app keeps me logged in, I am all for it.

Edit: And there's a Chrome extension with a contextual upload menu? SOLD!
Yup what's crazy about Minus is how rapidly its updating, and how active development is for it. It seems like every 2 weeks or so a huge update comes out.

Jasoco

Banned
Threi said:
Yup what's crazy about Minus is how rapidly its updating, and how active development is for it. It seems like every 2 weeks or so a huge update comes out.
I've never even heard of it!

I switched to Imgur from Tinypic. I assume Minus is another "don't worry about bandwidth" hosting site where I won't have to worry about golden yellow frog images appearing because I linked an image too much?

Threi

notag
Jasoco said:
I've never even heard of it!

I switched to Imgur from Tinypic. I assume Minus is another "don't worry about bandwidth" hosting site where I won't have to worry about golden yellow frog images appearing because I linked an image too much?
They get mad if you hotlink huge gifs (this was a while ago, all i did was change the links to link to the gallery instead and they came back within a day), but aside from that i don't recall them ever complaining about BW limits. Considering that they keep increasing upload limits (I think its at 100MB per gallery now), i don't think that's a problem for them anymore.

Just fyi minus supports uploads of all file formats, not just images. They have built-in readers for music and documents.

JaseC

Jasoco said:

In my experience their compression algorithm only kicks in if your images are above a certain size and the extent to which it compresses is punishing. PNGs look as though they were saved as JPGs using the WinXP version of Paint.

Jasoco

Banned
JaseC said:
In my experience their compression algorithm only kicks in if your images are above a certain size and the extent to which it compresses is punishing. PNGs look as though they were saved as JPGs using the WinXP version of Paint.
Not that I've seen. I ONLY upload PNG's because that's what OS X saves screenshots as and it has never compressed a single one. Even a full sized 1280x800 screenshot. What, does it have to be 2000 pixels before it compresses it?

JaseC

Jasoco said:
Not that I've seen. I ONLY upload PNG's because that's what OS X saves screenshots as and it has never compressed a single one. Even a full sized 1280x800 screenshot. What, does it have to be 2000 pixels before it compresses it?

Haha, I'm not sure. I've only had it happen to me a couple of times (I typically upload PNGs since it's the go-to format for Fireworks), but I can't remember how large the images were.

Jasoco

Banned
JaseC said:
Haha, I'm not sure. I've only had it happen to me a couple of times (I typically upload PNGs since it's the go-to format for Fireworks), but I can't remember how large the images were.
I just discovered last night for some reason if I use the Minus Chrome extension and right click on a GIF, it uploads it as a JPG? But the OS X menubar app uploads it fine.

Why would it convert an animated GIF to a JPG? What would make them think that is the correct procedure?

Threi

notag
probably a bug in the exstension? I don't use the chrome extension for minus at all (I don't like how it handles uploads) so i couldn't tell you.

Jasoco

Banned
I just thought it would be a great easier way to rehost a funny Animated GIF so I don't accidentally trigger a crazy nudie picture for hotlinking. I was surprised to see it converted to a JPG.

I'm going to do another test. Maybe it was a fluke.

If not, at least I can drag the image to the desktop and upload it via the menubar app.

Edit: Yep. PNG, not JPG. Still, it doesn't upload the actual picture. It converts it for some reason, and the preferences don't work for the extension, and I can't drag from the browser directly to the menubar app because it needs a file to drop, not an object from a webpage. So I need to save the file to my desktop first before uploading it. I hope this is a bug they can fix. Or an option I can disable.

screenshot20110811at124.jpg

source. i modified the dock to have a black transparency with blue leds (i prefer it over stock). my menu bar has the built in osx defaults, but i have menu meters showing my network, memory, cpu, and disk usage/totals, along with smartreporter, gfxcardstatus, adium (mushroom icon), and tweetie. if you guys want the dock, let me know. :)

yes, my ssd is called black wii. :) my machine is a 2011 15" macbook pro, 2.2ghz, 8GB, patriot wildfire 240GB ssd, radeon 6750m 1GB, 1680x1050 antiglare.

Gui_PT

Blue Ninja said:
It's from Skyrim, actually. I thought the dragons would've given that away. :lol

Hurr durr. Sorry about that. The mountains just look Reach-ish and didn't pay attention to the dragons =P

Thanks for clearing that up

Gui_PT said:
Hurr durr. Sorry about that. The mountains just look Reach-ish and didn't pay attention to the dragons =P

Thanks for clearing that up
Eh, I've had a lot of Reach backgrounds, too. The side-effect of making panorama's is that you get a lot of great wallpaper material. :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Source

I'd like to get another Rainmeter widget or two, maybe replace the two I have above the date. Thinking about a dock too.

noah111

Still Alive
Tokubetsu said:
http://i.imgur.com/OMZaQ.jpg[IMG]
Foobar: [url]https://tokubetsu.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d3ku5p9[/url]
Wall: [B][url]http://vhm-alex.deviantart.com/gallery/[/url][/B][/QUOTE]
*high five* I love everything from this guy, have basically all his art in rotation as my walls.

[QUOTE=Brettison]My Windows 7 desktop for August 2011 which I just changed up last night! The [I][B][URL="http://www.abload.de/img/wallpaper12064726cje.jpg"]Original Source[/URL][/B][/I] is 1920 x 1080, but the pic I posted is 1280 x 720 resized with [B][URL="http://www.getpaint.net/"]Paint.Net[/URL][/B] for easier image posting!

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/august2011win7desktop77d13.png
Love this wall so much, thanks for posting the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom