• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

MrMC works alright, I just have media on a USB drive which is plugged into my router and then I share it with MrMC. The one thing that pains me...scratch that, I have a few issues with ATV4.

1. No 24hz support
  2. The typing interface is horrible, who designed that and why hasn't it been fixed yet
  3. The remote, looks nice but all too often I pick it up and activate something because I have touched the touchpad, apart from smooth one end and rough the other it's hard to work out which end is which in the dark.
  4. Netflix app (yeah more of a Netflix issue) at times gets stuck in an infinite loop and the only way to fix it is reinstall it.

I do kind of think they should have made the remote backlit. And though it annoys me in other ways I do think tne changes Apple made to how the trackpad works helps a little.

It is a shame that apps cannot support 24hz though if I'm honest much of the time I don't notice it anymore.

I more notice apples lack of support of modern surround sound formats. Though apps have found work arounds by just outputing the audio as pcm.

senahorse

Ah yes the audio is another issue, at least at first. Is there any other remote you can use with it? I think they blocked (well just not supported) using the app to control it?

edit: I should say, even though it may sound like it, I don't hate the device. It generally works pretty well, HDMI-CEC works great with it, I turn it on via the remote (TV and receiver come on) and vice versa when turning off, I appreciate the nice screen saver and the fact it has an appstore (thanks to TVOS) is a definite plus. It (imo) is the best of an average bunch of media extenders, I am still waiting for the perfect one :)

Dryk

IN A WORLD-FIRST conservation effort, 80 African rhinos will be flown to Australia over the next four years to establish an insurance population for the threatened mammals.

It is an ambitious mission – costing $70,000 per rhino and requiring each animal to spend several months in quarantine under the watchful eyes of the South African and Australian Departments of Agriculture.

The Australian Rhino Project was founded in 2013 by South African-born Australian Ray Dearlove, with the aim to establish a breeding herd of black and white rhinos in Australia that will be able to be reintroduced to Africa once the threat of poaching decreases.

For once we're introducing a species for a good reason, and they'll be easy to hunt in the unlikely even they get out of control.

http://www.australiangeographic.com...ed-for-australia-in-bold-move-to-save-species

dity

dunno, I mainly use if for watching stuff I've bought off itunes and Netflix. I have the apps for BBC iplayer and Now TV (which is sorta like HBO Go for Sky TV- which is a no contract and HD legal option for watching GoT. Foxtel needs to take a look at this, stat.

in other news, my cat, Brando, arrived safely from Australia today so I drove down to Heathrow to pick him up. Because cats love travel and new places to live.

I figured out I can refresh the app either by force quitting it or even just changing the tab within the YouTube app and changing bacl - just like on the XB1.

Well thats a bit shit.

Should get a Wii U

Edit: ditys talking about the 360 app.

Also now I know what ATV stands for. I did think it odd a quad bike would have an app.

I wasn't talking about the 360 app u silly lol

Is that that the ATV4? They have been jailbroken (to a point) which is great to hear. Not sure how versatile they are (can they play MKVs yet?) but if they're better to use than an ATV2 (I think that's the one my fiancee has) I might considered it.

Yup. With the fancy app store and stuff.

As far as I know it still can't natively support MKV, but I basically have Plex transcode all my media anyway. However if you buy an app like Infuse it can play MKV and even ISO files natively. It's about $10, but it does have its own custom video player. For those that can do it, you can even sideload Kodi using a USB-C cable and OSX.

For once we're introducing a species for a good reason, and they'll be easy to hunt in the unlikely even they get out of control.

http://www.australiangeographic.com...ed-for-australia-in-bold-move-to-save-species

tumblr_msci7hbFby1qg0rnuo1_540.png

Darren870

Hot diggity. My blu-ray drive arrived today. Time to rip them blu discs to my hard disks.

I did this last year. Depending on how many Discs you have and how you intend to rip, you're gonna need a lot of hard drive space.

I did this last year and filled about 18 TB of HDDs (and that was after I stopped ripping the entire disc and just the main movie). Then the converting time (I used Handbrake to make ATV 3 compatible MP4s) is pretty horrendous depending on the settings you use.

That said, I was able to bring my entire library on 4 portable HDDs when I moved.

Jintor

in my fascist police state world it is a crime to like sword art online. perpetrators are punished by being made to watch sword art online

i haven't really thought this through to be honest with you

dity

I did this last year. Depending on how many Discs you have and how you intend to rip, you're gonna need a lot of hard drive space.

I did this last year and filled about 18 TB of HDDs (and that was after I stopped ripping the entire disc and just the main movie). Then the converting time (I used Handbrake to make ATV 3 compatible MP4s) is pretty horrendous depending on the settings you use.

That said, I was able to bring my entire library on 4 portable HDDs when I moved.

Since I stream with Plex and it and Handbrake supports it, I'm going to try H.265 encodes, due to the much smaller file sizes than H.264. Hopefully that should avoid me needing to buy an absolutely massive amount of storage to house my media.

I just started encoding Summer Wars (about 20GB uncompressed) and it looks like I'll have a 2.5 hour wait ahead of me. Hopefully the file size is worth it.

I reckon what will kill my drive space is DBZ. I have the whole series on Blu-Ray. All 200-something episodes. Gonna be quite the trek. D:

Since I stream with Plex and it and Handbrake supports it, I'm going to try H.265 encodes, due to the much smaller file sizes than H.264. Hopefully that should avoid me needing to buy an absolutely massive amount of storage to house my media.

I just started encoding Summer Wars (about 20GB uncompressed) and it looks like I'll have a 2.5 hour wait ahead of me. Hopefully the file size is worth it.

I reckon what will kill my drive space is DBZ. I have the whole series on Blu-Ray. All 200-something episodes. Gonna be quite the trek. D:

Here's my experience. Using Make MKV's trial I'd rip the main feature and any features (I on'y ripped them from a few movies, the rest I just took the feature. With Make MKV, there's a trial and a pretty expensive to buy option, but it seemed to restart the trial if you upgraded your OS (like going from OS X maverick to el capitan).
With Handbrake, I found the Apple TV 3 setting gave the best results but also took a lot longer and if the film had a lot of grain, it would be almost the same size as the original Bluray. From memory the worst offenders were Saving Private Ryan, The Godfather, Scarface and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. For some of these and some other films where the quality was less critical, I used the Apple TV 2 setting, which kept the file size down (though you might notice squarer grain on a larger screen).

Modern films like MCU compress nicer since they have less grain and end up roughly the same size as HD iTunes versions though Man of Steel still ended up 12 GB.

just take your time.

Must be a nice change ;)

well. I didn't want to say.

dity

Here's my experience. Using Make MKV's trial I'd rip the main feature and any features (I on'y ripped them from a few movies, the rest I just took the feature. With Make MKV, there's a trial and a pretty expensive to buy option, but it seemed to restart the trial if you upgraded your OS (like going from OS X maverick to el capitan).
With Handbrake, I found the Apple TV 3 setting gave the best results but also took a lot longer and if the film had a lot of grain, it would be almost the same size as the original Bluray. From memory the worst offenders were Saving Private Ryan, The Godfather, Scarface and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. For some of these and some other films where the quality was less critical, I used the Apple TV 2 setting, which kept the file size down (though you might notice squarer grain on a larger screen).

Modern films like MCU compress nicer since they have less grain and end up roughly the same size as HD iTunes versions though Man of Steel still ended up 12 GB.

just take your time.

well. I didn't want to say.

Well, I ended up with a 2GB movie down from 22GB and it basically is exactly the same quality wise (as far as I can tell). Great result.

Just mainlined Sword Art Online over the last few days on Netflix. Very good.
I liked it well enough, until
they won the game halfway into the first season
. Then it turned so dumb I only watched an episode or two after that.

Watching Attack on Titan at the moment. Why can't every anime just be One Punch Man?

Jintor

sao is one of those things where i simply can't fathom people liking it in any capacity. one of my weird blind spots i guess

well, that's not entirely true. i suppose there's bits of it that taken on their own i could be like 'this is okay'. asuna and kirito just mucking around being a couple was enjoyable enough (if you forget how they got there and the situation they were in entirely). its just as a whole the thing is blearrghhghghasghlhasdhh

also, people occasionally praise the action cinematography which frankly i don't get at all

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
it turns a bit soggy when the weird sibling love stuff comes in a bit.

sure theyr'e not realy siblings but that just makes it still weird.

Quasar

Hot diggity. My blu-ray drive arrived today. Time to rip them blu discs to my hard disks.

That just reminds me of how annoyed I am about AnyDVD HD and the Slysoft/Redfox transition. Pretty bitter given I bought a lifetime license less than a year ago.

Rizzi

So I plugged my wii u in to my monitor, and was going to plug my headphones in to the 3.5mm jack on the back of the monitor. Then I remembered how short the 3.5 mm cable is on these headphones.
Fuuuuuck.

So I plugged my wii u in to my monitor, and was going to plug my headphones in to the 3.5mm jack on the back of the monitor. Then I remembered how short the 3.5 mm cable is on these headphones.

Fuuuuuck.

have you tried the headphone plug on the wii u gamepad?

Jintor

it turns a bit soggy when the weird sibling love stuff comes in a bit.

sure theyr'e not realy siblings but that just makes it still weird.

It's soaking wet right from the get go imho, it just occasionally gets way worse before returning to a baseline of meh

Sorry, I don't know why I get so worked up about this damn show

dity

That just reminds me of how annoyed I am about AnyDVD HD and the Slysoft/Redfox transition. Pretty bitter given I bought a lifetime license less than a year ago.
Shit, what happened? I haven't touched that software for a long time.

Quasar

Shit, what happened? I haven't touched that software for a long time.

A few months back, apparently due to Hollywood pressure, Slysoft shut down though some of the same people are continuing it under the company Redfox. This change has them apparently changing the business model to a subscription one and slysoft licenses will not continue to be valid with the new company. At least for AnyDVD. I think its different for other former slysoft products.

dity

A few months back, apparently due to Hollywood pressure, Slysoft shut down though some of the same people are continuing it under the company Redfox. This change has them apparently changing the business model to a subscription one and slysoft licenses will not continue to be valid with the new company. At least for AnyDVD. I think its different for other former slysoft products.

And you couldn't even get a refund? I'd be pretty bummed if that happened to me.

A few years ago I ripped most of mine. The best ones non-compressed and the rest reduced down to 2-8ish gigs depending on the movie. The original Total Recall was still huge because of the film grain. Of course that HDD failed and I haven't bothered starting the process all over again!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Who lives in Sydney and wouldn't mind me sleeping on their couch between 28th of July and 1st of August? Once in a lifetime opportunity. I will sign autographs.

UltraJay

Does anyone play Heart of the Storm here? Because I thought I needed to play on the Americas server but I constantly get connection issues even though it is supposed to connect me to AUS servers when doing so.

Wait... could it be because I'm using Getflix DNS?

dity

I wish there was a way I could get a HDHomerun Connect for less than $260. Sucks that I can't import one due to needing an Aussie-specific one.

Quasar

And you couldn't even get a refund? I'd be pretty bummed if that happened to me.

As far as I know, no (after all its a different company). To placate folks with lifetime licenses they are talking about some deal. I suspect all it will be is a sub discount for some period.

Personally I'm pretty unwilling to pony up unless they support UHD disc ripping. Of course who knows if drives that support those discs will even get released for computers.

you're on my shitlist
I snorted.
I liked it well enough, until
they won the game halfway into the first season
. Then it turned so dumb I only watched an episode or two after that.

Watching Attack on Titan at the moment. Why can't every anime just be One Punch Man?
Yeah, I thought it was okay until
around episode 14 when they started doing couple stuff and adopted a kid?
and it started getting too haremy for my liking.

Animelab has a bunch of good new anime like erased, noragami and death parade. I recommend those instead. If you're looking for one punch man ish jojo's bizarre adventure might be up your alley.
I always wondered why they didn't set up a mini africa animal park in the middle of Australia. I know its not good to introduce animals to a place they aren't native, but the landscape has to be close.

Who knows, the world is fucked.
Theres that open range zoo in Melbourne, I remember it being p cool.

hamchan

SAO broke conventions by actually having a good couple from the start of the series and then somehow still turning into a harem series. This is only having read the light novels.

Like, c'mon other girls this guy is taken, married even. Why are you all still going for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom