• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Meh, we'll see what that $5 note looks like in person.

I was hoping they would use it as an opportunity to ditch the Queen and replace her mug with a more contemporary Aussie icon, like Dick Smith or something.

Need a referendum for that.

Of course I'm still annoyed for the loss of Caroline Chisolm.

They don't give a shit about games, because it's such a small part of their sales.

They were probably more concerned with getting a billion copies of Star Wars TFA in ready for today.
I was thinking afterwards that since Thursday is the usual game release day, she thought I was trying to get them to break release date for Dark Souls 3.

10. I know a few kids here going through cancer treatment, their parents have talked about... wait you linked to the Geelong council thing lol. Umm it's hilarious and expected. I also think going to administration is a good idea rather than letting dumbfuck public vote in another bunch of corrupt fuckwits. Similar issue here in Warrnambool but without the corrupt part. Council here seriously made a new high paying job JUST to handle internal complaints against each other. Insane use of tax payer dollars.

But yeah, medical marijuana is a huge, huge deal IMO. Dude I went to Uni has a daughter who has a ton of seizures and is sick as fuck, really hoping this makes her quality of life better, already got teary reading his wife's Facebook post about the news.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I got attacked by a magpie for the first time just now. I'd have been scared but i didn't know he was attacking me. He was circling ahead going up and down making loud noises. I just thought i was walking under a tree.

I got attacked by a magpie for the first time just now. I'd have been scared but i didn't know he was attacking me. He was circling ahead going up and down making loud noises. I just thought i was walking under a tree.

Magpie attack in April? Da fuck? They're not meant to be doing that stuff until September odd.

I said on my Facebook that if you get all five denominations and stack them it should form a map

To where though? Is it Wollongong? Please make it Wollongong.

AUSPOL sneaking out slightly:

1460445997916.jpg

Shaneus

Nothing particularly amazing, annoying though because I was in Target this morning and there was nobody there looking at games and no sign of any discount either.
Bourke St in Melb had a few swarmers (and one very obvious OzBargainer who was literally clutching games and something Amiibo-ey), only picked up one of the 50ish copies of The Club for PS4 but I'm pretty happy with that.

I got a 3DS XL for $99 for my son (will force off the 3D), a couple of cheap 3DS games, and for some reason I also bought Devil's Third on Wii U.

Nice! I grabbed the Skylanders starter pack for 3DS for $10, a bunch of the $2 Skylander figures, $20 copy of Inazuma Eleven 3DS, $10 copy of LEGO something 3DS and Devil's Third :)

Dryk

I'll stop by the Target in the CBD on the way home and see if there's anything worth buying by then (there won't be)

Mr. Tone

Apologies for the blog post, but I'm in a bind and need to air my thoughts a bit. I've got until tomorrow morning to decide whether I want to move with my job to Sydney, having been made redundant in Adelaide. I am conflicted and I don't know what I want to do.

Pros
- not unemployment
- living somewhere different
- a substantial pay raise from what I was making in Adelaide (offered with great reluctance)
- can finally start making a dent in those student loans
- the Sydney staff are super desperate to have me, and seem like good people
- new responsibilities and some opportunities for professional development
- I'm familiar with the work, and can definitely be a lot of help

Cons
- no redundancy package
- living on the fringe of what could be called Sydney (Campbelltown)
- since I don't drive, massively increased travel times to get to work, to go to town, to do the shopping
- all of that extra money will be sucked up by housing costs and HELP payments (unless I go back to a share house, ugh)
- I'll be trying to pick up the pieces from the Adelaide shutdown, meaning stress and overwork at least in the short term
- not a career path I'm planning to stay with, have already started study in a different field
- upper management shut down the Adelaide site without any consideration of a transition plan, screwing over the staff in both Adelaide and Sydney. I have no guarantees about how long they would keep me around, or any other boneheaded decisions they might make.
- leaving my friends, family, and much of my lifestyle behind
- leaving my brother without a housemate, putting a financial and stress burden on him
- I hate moving house
- surrendering my radgaf membership

I only got this job because I needed some kind of work, and I only stuck with it because the work wasn't too hard, the people were good, and it was very convenient for me to get to. Now all the people I worked with have been laid off, the job is in another state, and the workload I'm faced with is massive. Adelaide isn't a good place to be unemployed right now, but with my savings and my package I'd be able to last at least a good year without work.

Anyone else been through something similar or have any words of wisdom? I feel like I'm torn between what I want to do (stay) and what I feel pressured to do (go).

Cons
- not a career path I'm planning to stay with, have already started study in a different field
- upper management shut down the Adelaide site without any consideration of a transition plan, screwing over the staff in both Adelaide and Sydney. I have no guarantees about how long they would keep me around, or any other boneheaded decisions they might make.

Adelaide isn't a good place to be unemployed right now, but with my savings and my package I'd be able to last at least a good year without work.

Biggest things that standout to me are above.

If you were super keen about a new start moving to Sydney could work out really well but it sounds like you don't want the job any way.

12 months to find the job you want locally is really tempting. Hell, if you take a casual job on the side you would obviously stretch that even further.

Sorry to hear about the job loss btw.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Apologies for the blog post, but I'm in a bind and need to air my thoughts a bit. I've got until tomorrow morning to decide whether I want to move with my job to Sydney, having been made redundant in Adelaide. I am conflicted and I don't know what I want to do.

Pros
- not unemployment
- a substantial pay raise from what I was making in Adelaide (offered with great reluctance)

Cons
- no redundancy package
- since I don't drive, massively increased travel times to get to work, to go to town, to do the shopping
- all of that extra money will be sucked up by housing costs and HELP payments (unless I go back to a share house, ugh)
- I'll be trying to pick up the pieces from the Adelaide shutdown, meaning stress and overwork at least in the short term
- leaving my brother without a housemate, putting a financial and stress burden on him
- I hate moving house

I only got this job because I needed some kind of work, and I only stuck with it because the work wasn't too hard, the people were good, and it was very convenient for me to get to. Now all the people I worked with have been laid off, the job is in another state, and the workload I'm faced with is massive. Adelaide isn't a good place to be unemployed right now, but with my savings and my package I'd be able to last at least a good year without work.

Anyone else been through something similar or have any words of wisdom? I feel like I'm torn between what I want to do (stay) and what I feel pressured to do (go).

You cant leave me

Edit: I personally wouldnt be moving interstate unless it was a sure thing. If they closed our local office who's to say they wont do it there.

Also you cant leave me.

Mr. Tone

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I guess I do know what I want to do. I also know that by doing that I'm making life difficult for a bunch of other people, who didn't ask to be put in this situation. And I'm struggling with having this opportunity which other people would love to have, but is not really appealing to me. Am I just being greedy and entitled?

dity

I'd personally try to find a new job, but leave your job on good terms with a reference, than go interstate. I can't afford interstate.

Jintor

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I guess I do know what I want to do. I also know that by doing that I'm making life difficult for a bunch of other people, who didn't ask to be put in this situation. And I'm struggling with having this opportunity which other people would love to have, but is not really appealing to me. Am I just being greedy and entitled?

Nah mate

Lucian Cat

Welp, that's good enough for me! Decision made. Thanks for listening to my rambles all. Now's the part of the evening where I drink myself to sleep and think about how I'm gonna spend all my upcoming free time. Videogames maybe?

Come to Eluveitie bruh. That's 1 night sorted

Pros
- not unemployment

Cons
- no redundancy package
- I hate moving house

I can see that you've subsequently made your decision, but as a Sydneysider I just thought I'd add a few things about Campbelltown:

• It really is on the fringe of Sydney, and that's saying a lot because Sydney is huge.
  • It's a tricky place to live without a car. Public transport isn't quite as good out there, and I suspect that cyclists might have a tougher time of it.
  • Because it's so far from the city, housing prices are much lower - by Sydney standards anyway. Because of that you get a lower socio-economic demographic. It's not the Wild West or anything, but it's not exactly Monte Carlo either. One of my best friends has spent most of his life in C-town, and he always has interesting stories to share...

[*]Because it's so far from the city, housing prices are much lower - by Sydney standards anyway. Because of that you get a lower socio-economic demographic. It's not the Wild West or anything, but it's not exactly Monte Carlo either. One of my best friends has spent most of his life in C-town, and he always has interesting stories to share...[/list]

Sounds like the kind of suburb Holy would feel comfortable in lol

Hope your current neighbours are okay Holy!

They're lovely :)

Married elder couple below me
Family across from me
and ghosts in the other apartment who i've never seen in 3 months

Now you can be the one everyone talks about!

"That damn kid, always up playing Pokémon at all hours of the night. He even came out the front with his phone making Pokémon noises!!!"

Stackboy

Sounds like you should stay where you are, with your family and friends, and take the opportunity to try something new.

I'm excited for you dude!

Lucian Cat

I'm all sorted on that front. Actually seeing Black Sabbath on Sunday with my middle-aged uncle. Should be fun.
Eyyy. I didn't even know they were playing. Dare I do 3 different concerts in a week...

Also I'll see you at Eluveitie! Trying to convince one of my friends to come. She's keen-ish haha.

Mr. Tone

Eyyy. I didn't even know they were playing. Dare I do 3 different concerts in a week...

Also I'll see you at Eluveitie! Trying to convince one of my friends to come. She's keen-ish haha.

It's never a hard sell to see a show at the Gov.

The cheap Sabbath tickets are in the seated area, so that'll be weird. They say it's their last tour, so I figured I might as well make the effort. What else have you got on this week?

Lucian Cat

It's never a hard sell to see a show at the Gov.

The cheap Sabbath tickets are in the seated area, so that'll be weird. They say it's their last tour, so I figured I might as well make the effort. What else have you got on this week?
Got Wednesday 13 in Melbourne tonight (sitting on a plane about to fly right now) and the hilltop hoods this Saturday.
Seated black Sabbath? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rizzi

Australia Post sucks the big one. It took them three weeks to get my new bank pin to me. Meanwhile I ordered a copy of Link Between Worlds from Ozgameshop and they manage to get it to me in six days from another fucking country.

radaxian

Australia Post sucks the big one. It took them three weeks to get my new bank pin to me. Meanwhile I ordered a copy of Link Between Worlds from Ozgameshop and they manage to get it to me in six days from another fucking country.

Yeah my ozgameshop stuff always seems to come within 5 working days, it's pretty quick.

Yeah my ozgameshop stuff always seems to come within 5 working days, it's pretty quick.

OGS was great when i was in Aus, and great when I was in the US, haven't tried them yet in the UK. I don't wanna go back to their UK site 365games just yet since I still have OGS points.

Gazunta

I hit my local Target last night to see what I could find... they had a heap of Amiibo for $10 but no Ryu, so I thankfully didn't buy any Amiibo.

Got Saints Row IV PS3, Wolfenstein New Order PS3, NBA 2K13 Wii and Shovel Knight 3DS for $36. Really happy finding a physical copy of Shovel Knight 3DS in particular and NBA was $1 lol I will never play it.

Also I was on TV this morning talking about Pokémon Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom