• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatars are Dead - REJOICE!!!!!!!!!

MDSLKTR

No more of those godawful model poses
nxe_business_casual.jpg

Are one of their legs longer than the other? Anyway good riddance.

Things I liked about avatars:

Were used in some games, especially indie titles which made them kind of fun.

Things I disliked about avatars:

Everything else.
They were only made because of the Wii's early success, to just drop them for the next system shows that.

Gadirok

I never spent money on avatars on PS3 but I would be slightly annoyed if Sony decided to remove them. Not because of the costs, but because some of them can be considered "collectibles" and one time only things that were only available once.

I have limited access to them on my Vita since it doesn't collect the entire premium collection of avatars on PS3 but it still maintains the free ones which is fine.

But with Xbox Avatars they remind me more of home avatars and I would be more annoyed if they decided to ditch that if I spent a reasonable amount of money on them and it seems generally more expensive.

On the other hand it seems more expensive to maintain, but given that they had it for so long loyal Xbox fans would have had something friendly to welcome them back to the new console.

El Sloth

Banned
Are we sure we're not misunderstanding what the press release said?

Like, what they could have meant, "no avatar items will transfer over to XBONE."

I always got the impression Microsoft was making a decent bit from digital cosmetic goods for your avatar. I don't see them just entirely throwing avatars away if that really is the case.

Li Kao

I'll never know what the bottom of that damn shoe looks like *sniff

Strongly disagree. The accessory stuff was cool but Avatars themselves had no soul.

Uh ? Didn't think about it when typing my post. I was speaking on a more general look basis.
Never thought about it that way, I can imagine that 360 avatars can be seen as soulless, yeah. But then the question of the wii ones 'soul' is debatable.

Gadirok

Are you implying that Miis have "soul"?

More soul than Xbox avatars since you didn't have to pay for every piece of cosmetic as far as I recall.

I had a gundam mii on my wii which was pretty cool.

I personally prefer generic PSN avatars since they are simple.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good. I hope they burn in hell.

EDIT - Maybe not. I would be surprised to see Microsauce drop them since they exist just to sell cheap microtransactions. They gotta be pretty profitable.

Milchjon

That would be pretty dumb. I like them, and weren't they kinda successful?

Can't see why they wouldn't carry them over.

I liked them to I guess we're going to be seeing portraits of people or they're coming up with something else - but they were fun to see other peoples avatars

I'm so glad that casual garbage is gone.

What part of having an online characterization is casual or garbage? Despite being a kneejerk reaction to Miis, I liked avatars, they were a neat bonus to the system, but ultimately weren't used very often.

EDIT: Oh! They're not dead. But I see this "natural identity" thing maybe being an issue. Blizzard tried it and the fans weren't down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like avatars, though. The upgrade / abandonment of Miis would be celebration worthy, but not this.

eznark

Banned
Wow. It's going to be interesting to see how many people are going to be willing to participate in these microtransaction schemes knowing that the things they bought have such a finite shelf life.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yep

all that money you spent this gen is down the drain in every way possible. No BC, no XBLA carryover, no avatar items

time to bend over again

Remember that 10 years of X-box live special outfits you got? Yeah... throwing them out like microsoft is throwing out it's sense...

ElRenoRaven

Well at least that's one good bit of news to come out of yesterday. I hate Mii's and Avatars and shit like that with a passion.

Top Bottom