• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatars are Dead - REJOICE!!!!!!!!!

2San

rip sweet prince. ;(

vlzOHkg.png

I was always pretty apathetic towards them. Seems like they were making money though, a lot of people on my friends list had some stuff that could only be bought.

Sylver

Banned
Wow surprised.
I didn't have xbox but I think these were better than sony's Home avatars.
M$ seems really doing rare things.

beril

Not that I care about them but this is just really stupid.

Why would they not have it carry over, even if they're less utilized in next gen games? Basically they're doing nothing to encourage their current users to stick with them the next generation.

I liked them and every last one of my friends used them as intended but the wife is right, it was like grown men playing dress up dolls.

Poona

It's interesting if it works out this way, because avatars also exist in Windows 8 and Windows Phone, so not sure how they're meant to totally rub them out.

All these fucks aren't going to give themselves.

I'm OK with this. I'd rather have a picture of me, or an image that I can control a little more.

Aguirre

this is actually pretty crappy. my sister loves avatars and dressing them up, she has spent money on them, and now they're rendered obsolete.

Wow, I actually didn't know until today that Rare was responsible for Avatars. Makes sense, though, one more thing on their resume that is a watered down exact copy of something Nintendo did.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Avatars out, Instagram selfies in.

I didn't mind the avatars.. Some folks are just too cool for school around here.

Mindwipe

Their reply to the follow up question makes it seem like they're not sure.

By "for what it's worth" I mean "I don't think Xbox Twitter support knows what the hell they're saying at this point" but who knows.

They have said much the same in different ways in other tweets though, it's just hard for me to navigate through so many overflow accounts and post links from my phone.

BibiMaghoo

Good. I fucking despised the Xbox avatars with a passion usually reserved for people that stand in my way at a supermarket.

Good riddance I say.

Roto13

Avatars are basically douchier Miis, but it's pretty weird that they're not going to carry them over. I was under the impression that they make a nice bit of money off of avatar accesories.

Unless they're just going to replace them with something similar but new.

Not sure why people should "rejoice" as they were optional and some people seemed to enjoy them.

They weren't optional, try making a live account right now without setting up an avatar. Also they are shoved in our faces on the dashboard and in almost all Xbox related media.

Top Bottom