• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barack Obama Speaks at The University of Chicago (Livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
fella's talking about how we all live in echo chambers, soaking up our own narratives and neglecting a common reality that we share with people who aren't like us, and how we need to move forward and try to find common ground.

glad he's putting the boot into right wingers like that.

fella's talking about how we all live in echo chambers, soaking up our own narratives and neglecting a common reality that we share with people who aren't like us, and how we need to move forward and try to find common ground.

It's also a wake up call to liberals and moderates. Everybody needs to wake up.

After a few months of political fuckery, it's good to just to hear this man talk again.

I have to read transcripts of Trump's speeches because A) It makes it way easier to fact check and B) I can't stand how he talks.

It is nice to hear a much better speaker talk about politics.

I mean, he's not really just talking to right wingers, though I'm sure that primarily who he has in the back of his mind. I mean, there is a liberal bubble and all, though I think it's not the same context, or nearly as bad, as what is happening with the right

Sarcastic post? Haven't listened to this yet but I would guess he's talking mostly to left-wingers. Obama generally talks to left-wingers in these kinds of speeches because they're the ones that are listening to him.

Ouroboros

Sarcastic post? Haven't listened to this yet but I would guess he's talking mostly to left-wingers. Obama generally talks to left-wingers in these kinds of speeches because they're the ones that are listening to him.

I took it as that as well. "He will never win" "He is crazy, no way he gets 20% of the vote". We (liberals / democrats) were delusional in November.

theWB27

So wouldn't that mean he's talking to right wingers also? If one side isn't listening you'd think that echo chamber was pretty big.

On the other side the echo chamber is amongst themselves and it's crazy.

el jacko

The white guy to Obama's right is (was?) a member of his university's college Republican club.

EDIT: You have a point in that people watching this video are few, and probably already know what Obama's getting at. I bet Obama hopes that people watching this speech/talkshow will be inspired to reach out into unfamiliar communities and bridge these artificial gaps created by the echo chamber.

studyguy

Was listening on my phone through CBS live stream and they literally just interrupted to cut to another story mid way through how we engage voters. ffs.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People say this so often about my posts that I'm starting to just tune it out.

Are all your political posts over-the-top hyperbole? If they are, that's likely the issue and you should probably look at yourself rather than ignoring everyone else pointing it out.

You said he has never given an interesting speech in his life. That's wrong . At least one of his speeches is already one of the most memorable and well known in politics, period.

The difference between Him and Trump is night and day when it comes to articulating his thoughts, and just how much more intelligent he seems than Trump. It's unfathomable we went from somebody like him to a moron like Trump. I have to remind myself every day that this is reality.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually say the echo chamber is true to some extent but right now I feel far more of the left and liberals are way more tuned into what the Right is talking about even if they have a serious distaste for what is being talked about and how. By the very nature of discussion going on in circles of the right many people kind of have to listen to them because the Right is in power and a lot of their ideas are incredibly restrictive and regressive to a ton of minority groups who can't afford not to listen. They have to pay attention because in a lot of cases their lives and livelihood is threatened. Not saying people on the right don't either but they seem far more willing to just eat up what places like Fox News are ready to shill instead of actually peaking into what the liberals themselves are saying.

Cocaloch

The white guy to Obama's right is (was?) a member of his university's college Republican club.

EDIT: You have a point in that people watching this video are few, and probably already know what Obama's getting at. I bet Obama hopes that people watching this speech/talkshow will be inspired to reach out into unfamiliar communities and bridge these artificial gaps created by the echo chamber.

Uchicago republicans are't quite Trump's base. Establishment republicans were in their own, perhaps even bigger, bubble as the primary showed.

The people who pretend they're non-partisan and call out the left/right ought to be the main targets.

It seems to me like Obama is trying his best to walk back the "basket of deplorables" rhetoric here regardless of how much gaf thinks we should be doubling down on it

I'd actually say the echo chamber is true to some extent but right now I feel far more of the left and liberals are way more tuned into what the Right is talking about even if they have a serious distaste for what is being talked about and how. By the very nature of discussion going on in circles of the right many people kind of have to listen to them because the Right is in power and a lot of their ideas are incredibly restrictive and regressive to a ton of minority groups who can't afford not to listen. They have to pay attention because in a lot of cases their lives and livelihood is threatened. Not saying people on the right don't either but they seem far more willing to just eat up what places like Fox News are ready to shill instead of actually peaking into what the liberals themselves are saying.

I think the 'bubble' is fundamentally different for the left than it is the right, which is a problem when people try to address it. The left's bubble, I think, is more of a sheltering to some of the uncomfortable truths of America, such as the middle class suffering, the stubborn racist and sexist attitudes that are still very much alive and well, and just the amount of anger, both warranted and unwarranted, that the left really doesn't see or get.

The bubble for the right is...like, almost an entirely separate reality. I wouldn't even call it a bubble, as much as I would almost call it an alternate world, that has been crafted by aggressive right-wing propaganda and politicians and nurtured by the failing education, and value of education, in the country.

Slayven

It seems to me like Obama is trying his best to walk back the "basket of deplorables" rhetoric here regardless of how much gaf thinks we should be doubling down on it

They shouldn't be pandered to at the expense of the democratic base, cause you will scarfice core values for people that never want to fuck with you anyway

Way to prove his point.

Well, it depends on what "we" we're talking about. Democratic politicians definitely should be, because hey, they have to win elections, and that shit is just a trigger for a lot of white people who aren't, and probably never will be, ready to accept it.

But if it's "we" as the general public, activists, and voters on the left, it would be a grave mistake to truly walk it back in light of what's happening now. That would just contribute to the bubble that sheltered the left to what was happening around the country that lead to Trump's rise. I don't know about doubling down, but going back to pretending the basket doesn't exist is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

the stream is TIME and CNN also has it

I wonder if the media just missed Obama as much as we do?

glad Obama is giving these young people a lot of time to speak

They shouldn't be pandered to at the expense of the democratic base, cause you will scarfice core values for people that never want to fuck with you anyway
Right but I think there is a gulf between pandering to them and not antoginizing/attacking political opposition's voter base. It just seems to me like everything he has said since the election ended was "you're never going to win over everyone by trying to reach across, but you can pull over enough to win", and that it was a mistake for the Clinton campaign to not go out or engage rural areas in the Midwest at all

Slayven

Probably thirsty for someone coherent
Right but I think there is a gulf between pandering to them and not antoginizing/attacking political opposition's voter base. It just seems to me like everything he has said since the election ended was "you're never going to win over everyone by trying to reach across, but you can pull over enough to win", and that it was a mistake for the Clinton campaign to not go out or engage rural areas in the Midwest at all
Politicians might have to walk a fine line, but they should never be afraid to call a spade a spade. And for anyone that isn't running for office they should tell the truth to shame the devil.

Wondering how many levels of sarcasm exist in this.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is already so SO much more coherent than anything Trump has done or said...
To be fair, this thread is way more coherent than anything Trump has done or said. Even the troll/bait/snark posts are more coherent.

There are times when fucking Twitch chat is more coherent than Trump's shit.

I'm sure they do. I mean, Trump has been great for ratings, but the downside is he's basically at war with the free press, is a frustrating candidate to cover on a lot of levels, and very well could end the world on a really bad day.

Beartruck

In retrospect, while it might be true, that comment was Hillary's version of Mitt Romney's "47%" comment. You get nowhere by insulting half of your largest voting block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom