• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barack Obama to give 1st speech since leaving office in Chicago on Monday 11 a.m. CST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be televised/available to stream 11 a.m. CST. Will post link when available.

Chicago Tribune said:
Former President Barack Obama will return to Chicago on Monday to speak to young people at the University of Chicago, in what will be his first speech since leaving the White House.

Obama and young leaders will hold a conversation on civic engagement and discuss community organizing at the university's Logan Center for the Arts, his office announced Friday.

Hundreds of people are expected to attend, chosen from area universities that were given tickets for distribution, said Kevin Lewis, a spokesman for the former president. About six young people will appear on stage with him for the discussion, Lewis said.

The event will be a homecoming for Obama on multiple levels. He formerly taught constitutional law at the U. of C., his family has a home nearby in the Kenwood neighborhood. It also lets the former president, who came to Chicago to work as a young community organizer, fulfill a one of the commitments he's set out for his post-presidential years: to engage and work with the country's next generation of leaders, Lewis said.

"This event is part of President Obama's post-presidency goal to encourage and support the next generation of leaders driven by strengthening communities around the country and the world," an advisory said.

No tickets remain for distribution to the general public, but the event will be televised. Former first lady Michelle Obama is not expected to accompany her husband on the trip, Lewis said.

YEAH, I'M THINKING I'M BACK!

president-obama-buzzfeed-video-gifs_1423768013.jpg

But yes, as others have said, doubtful he'll hold Trump to the fire.

RPGCrazied

About time. I bet he doesn't even bring up Trump, but I don't see how that is possible. All the questions will be about him. He is going to have to answer them.

RinsFury

Whether he slays Trump or not, I will be watching. Miss hearing him speak. Obama has always been an amazing orater.

Meier

YEAH, I'M THINKING I'M BACK!
This quote will always be great. Especially since I can hear it in the Keanu voice.

I am sure Barack will be asked some questions where he could go to town, but he won't take the bait I suspect. Probably be largely diplomatic but add a little spice a few times.

studyguy

Minutes from speech:

-11AM: Obama walks out to podium
-11:01 to 1PM: Obama seen laughing.
-1:01PM: Obama shouts "You fucked up, huh?" as Michelle comes down in a helicopter and they fly off into the sunset.

On the real though, he said he was going to take on gerrymandering in a big way post presidency, with the SCOTUS set to hear some cases regarding it, we'll see what happens. It'd make a hell of a difference.

He's not going to bring up Trump, or criticize him in the near future. Former presidents don't run around popping off on the current president. I'm sure he'll have something to say about things during the election season though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People keep expecting him to lash out, but he knows better than to give the Republicans a reasons to galvanize around race as an issue.

Will be straight to the point about gerrymandering (or whatever his main focus really is).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, I miss him. It will be nice to be able to listen to a President that is easy to understand.

Effect

His blackness literally broke white America's minds.

This. He really did break a good number of people. Saying you're ready for a black President is one thing. Seeing it actually happen not once but twice had to drive a good part of white america mad. Then to potentially go from a black President to a female President that was on the same side was to much for some and they recoiled in a serious way. Policy or the economy had nothing to do with it because if it did trump would have been laughed right out the door.

No one is going to be able to sit there and say racism and sexism didn't play a significant role in this past election. It had a massive part in resulting in trump winning in the areas he did.

Yeah he's not going to lash out. Not in the way some people want. He will likely get his shots in of course be it will be in the Obama fashion. Now if he suddenly decides to just roast trump to the ground I won't complain but no way should anyone expect that. I hope the audience for this is massive and all the media will be focused on it. It will drive trump insane. Expect him to be tweeting during the entire thing and well into the night.

You spelled Gavin Newsom wrong.

Newsom has some baggage, afaik Garcetti has a spotless record. I'm not alone in my outlook for his future either - the party invited him to speak alongside other 2020 hopefuls. Bill Clinton said he might be President one day, I agree with him.

Ishan

This. He really did break a good number of people. Saying you're ready for a black President is one thing. Seeing it actually happen not once but twice had to drive a good part of white america mad. Then to potentially go from a black President to a female President that was on the same side was to much for some and they recoiled in a serious way. Policy or the economy had nothing to do with it because if it did trump would have been laughed right out the door.

No one is going to be able to sit there and say racism and sexism didn't play a significant role in this past election. It had a massive part in resulting in trump winning in the areas he did.

Yeah he's not going to lash out. Not in the way some people want. He will likely get his shots in of course be it will be in the Obama fashion. Now if he suddenly decides to just roast trump to the ground I won't complain but no way should anyone expect that. I hope the audience for this is massive and all the media will be focused on it. It will drive trump insane. Expect him to be tweeting during the entire thing and well into the night.

A very reductionist attitude IMO . Yes there was that influence but race and especially in 2016 gender were not the driving factors . Why can't we appreciate Obama for what he was a truly gifted politician and someone who can and still does inspire ppl worldwide

ezekial45

Banned
I'm not expecting him to talk shit about Trump and the current administration, because he'll just be easily labeled as the 'angry black man who's bitter about losing his legacy' by the conservative press and Trump's administration, but it'll be fucking great to hear him talk again.

We desperately need a leader like Obama again.

Beartruck

Can't get in because tickets are sold out, but I'm tempted to just stand outside the building with a sign that says "Don't it always seem to go / That you don't know what you've got til its gone".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom