• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, basically we've got Arkham Origins situation here - WB has no interest in fixing the game, they are more concerned about selling DLCs with the broken game almost 5 months after release. No only that, but as a compensation they are giving away games that you already own and don't really need cuz you probably already beat each of them (with the exception of shitty Blackgate) 10 times by now.

Well, okay then, from this day on I will no longer buy any WB games, period.

Kezen

Banned
So, basically we've got Arkham Origins situation here - WB has no interest in fixing the game, they are more concerned about selling DLCs with the broken game almost 5 months after release. No only that, but as a compensation they are giving away games that you already own and don't really need cuz you probably already beat each of them (with the exception of shitty Blackgate) 10 times by now.

Well, okay then, from this day on I will no longer buy any WB games, period.

I will only speak for myself but Arkham Origins is by no means broken, it was buggy at launch for sure but I had no complaints afterwards. Not stellar performance considering how dated it can look but in absolute terms it runs at 60fps, and no game breaking bugs or visual glitches.

Parsnip

This entirely anecdotal, but it seems like if you at any point used the tweaker utility for Batman AK before the interim patch, the changes the tweak made are not very compatible with the release as it is now.

Nuking your setting inis and letting the game recreate them might be worth a shot if you are still having huge issues.

That much was always obvious to me. I didn't expect any major improvements after the "interim patch".

My biggest issue was actually the asset streaming, and it seems like that has been fixed so I can actually play now.
This is how the game runs for me right now.

CPU usage is higher than I expected.

vg260

Alright so I did a fresh install of the game tonight and had a great experience, no sarcasm at all. I had to settle for 30 FPS but it feels great with a gamepad and looks fantastic, truly. Here are my settings:

Generally speaking that's not really the experience a lot of people are shooting for with the PC version. A PC port running fine at 30 fps doesn't really demonstrate the problems with the game for those running with more capable hardware.

CHC

Generally speaking that's not really the experience a lot of people are shooting for with the PC version. A PC port running fine at 30 fps doesn't really demonstrate the problems with the game for those running with more capable hardware.

Well going by this thread there seem to be a lot of people on "more capable hardware" who can't even play the game without massive issues, so I was just saying that a fresh install might help. As others have said, old ini tweaks, patches, and configurations may or may not work well with whatever they have done to the game since, and on a fresh install it's perfectly playable.

Haven't tried the game recently, but even when the hitching was minimal and only out in the city, it was unavoidable, and was actually seemingly worse when I capped the game to 30 fps. For a lot of people, they can't even run the game at console settings and avoid hitching, something that is way worse than lower framerate or post-processing, in my opinion.

Not saying that you're saying this or singling you out, but I've seen too many people saying the PC version is merely not up to PC port standards — for some people and in some instances, it's worse than the console versions.

vg260

Haven't tried the game recently, but even when the hitching was minimal and only out in the city, it was unavoidable, and was actually seemingly worse when I capped the game to 30 fps. For a lot of people, they can't even run the game at console settings and avoid hitching, something that is way worse than lower framerate or post-processing, in my opinion.

Not saying that you're saying this or singling you out, but I've seen too many people saying the PC version is merely not up to PC port standards — for some people and in some instances, it's worse than the console versions.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm 90% through the game, and it's still a mess with the hitching. I was meaning that having to drop to 30 is pretty unsatisfying if that's what it takes to minimize some of the issues. I'm irked they did nothing technically since the interim patch.

Is there any reason for CPU usage like this?

i5 4590 @ 3.3 GHz, 970, 8GB RAM

T7Wk04K.png
1uOrBy5.png

PC Gamer Arkham Knight benchmarking with newest patch...

http://www.pcgamer.com/did-they-fix-batman-arkham-knight/

sounds promising...the performance with this game is all over the place across a wide variety of hardware

It would be nice if some site eventually did a comprehensive check rather than amore anecdotal one. I bet they would find that it cannot hold 60 on every rig.

Like I have said before, however they stream in stuff just kills framrate stability.

JRW

So I played for about an hour with resource manager running in the background and the highest ram usage at one time was 6.2GB out of the 12GB I have, Not sure if that's normal or not since they recommend 12GB in Win 10.

The game runs pretty decent if I set it to all Normal settings and everything else enabled, minus the Nvidia gameworks stuff (all off), game set at 60fps / Vsync on.

i7 920 @ 3.4ghz
12GB DDR3 1600
R9 290X 4GB
Win 10

Game runs alright for me, but I don't have the most modest of systems. I lock the fps to 30 and I have no issues. Never stutters or drops below 30 with the game maxed @ 4K w/ Gameworks effects active.

JRW

How long does it take for the game to launch for people? Since release I have to wait a good two minutes after hitting "Play" on steam.

On a first start after reboot I timed it at 54 seconds after clicking Play but after exiting the game and re-launching it only took 17 seconds to show the full screen batman title.

Running the game from a 7200rpm Samsung 1TB F3 (separate from system drive).

Consoles are not running Directx 11 so here's that.
I think this more a case of UE3 not at all being designed for this type of usage.

Other games have lots of world object density and draw disatance on console and do not have this problem on PC: AC games, Dying light...

Maybe I'll give this game a shot tonight. I don't feel too burned about it running like shit since it was free with my GPU. Honestly, the performance with everything maxed, even at launch, was damn near a locked 60fps with my setup. The huge issue was CTDs every 5 minutes of playing. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Kezen

Banned
I think this more a case of UE3 not at all being designed for this type of usage.

Other games have lots of world object density and draw disatance on console and do not have this problem on PC: AC games, Dying light...

This is true also, however I don't think it's too surprising that AAA games of today have quite high CPU requirements. With so many stuff on screen and higher than consoles draw distances and the likes.

That being said AK is even more CPU bound than the average but multithreading is pretty good.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Batman_Arkham_Knight__GPU_v_2.0-test-intel.jpg

It really sucks that batgirl/red hood/harley don't get any of the SP upgrades.
It's almost pointless to use them because the other characters are so much better.
What a half assed way to implement character select, predator maps don't even have character select.

*sigh* rocksteady.

Bought the game to see how it runs. Pretty surprised/pleased with how it runs.

Everything maxed on 4K running between 45 and 60 frames per second. I tried gliding and grappling a bunch at the beginning of the game but didn't get any stuttering. Does it occur later? Perhaps after the Batmobile?

4790K @ 4.7GHz
Mushkin 16GB RAM
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
GTX Titan X Hybrid @1460MHz core

Vitor711

On a first start after reboot I timed it at 54 seconds after clicking Play but after exiting the game and re-launching it only took 17 seconds to show the full screen batman title.

Running the game from a 7200rpm Samsung 1TB F3 (separate from system drive).

All the Batman games have had horrendously long loads for the initial boot - this is nothing new.

4930k @ 4.1Ghz
GTX 980 SLI
SSD
ACER Predator X34 G-Sync monitor

This game is one of the worst performing games in my entire Steam Library. My Grandmother runs faster than this game does.

EDIT: my grandmother died ten years ago.

vocab

Bought the game to see how it runs. Pretty surprised/pleased with how it runs.

Everything maxed on 4K running between 45 and 60 frames per second. I tried gliding and grappling a bunch at the beginning of the game but didn't get any stuttering. Does it occur later? Perhaps after the Batmobile?

4790K @ 4.7GHz
Mushkin 16GB RAM
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
GTX Titan X Hybrid @1460MHz core

I mean, look at your specs. You are brute forcing through the issues, You are in the 1% of people who can play the game without issue.

Decided to give this a shot if they're not planning any more patches. Giving up on 60fps since it seems it's just not possible on my system, but a locked 30 seems ok. Getting some major drops though (down to single digits) and I'm not sure what's causing it, I know the Batmobile is supposed to impact performance but it's not just limited to it. Might try tweaking graphics settings to see if I can eliminate it.

Couple of questions:

1. Does the Anti-Aliasing still affect lighting? Should I turn it off completely?
2. Same question for texture filtering.
3. Is the game supposed to have noticeable audio for the rain/weather effects? I turned off the music and I can hear something but it still sounds completely dead.

1.....you can just check this yourself you know? It literally changes in real-time; answer is yes.
2. dunno
3. maybe, batgirl dlc has really strong sounding 5.1 rain.

Banned
Well I finally launched this game considering it's not going to get any better. Running everything maxed out, including gameworks, at 1440p. Average framerate is 55 with batmobile going down to 47. I have gsync so it doesn't bother me much. I'm actually really enjoying it and having fun.

But I also realize most people don't have beefy PC's to run this. My specs are:

Samsung Evo 850 SSD
GTX 980 Ti
12GB RAM
i7-3770k OC'd to 4.2Ghz
Acer XB270HU Gsync monitor

pretty sure the situation with the rain is now exactly as it was when the game first launched. can anyone else confirm this? starting a new game im unable to get proper rain.

Jelle

pretty sure the situation with the rain is now exactly as it was when the game first launched. can anyone else confirm this? starting a new game im unable to get proper rain.
Yes, the rain is still broken. Their patch notes say:
Fixed an issue with rain effects not working properly after re-loading a save. This fix was also made on PS4 & Xbox, as rain was always intended to diminish after the cinematics and players gained control of Batman.
Yeah right. So, the rain effects are now 'fixed' according to WB.

Shame we'll probably won't see this anymore:

98lwypo.gif

Instead, we have this:

VcdpQRr.gif

brau

I really wish they would do justice to the game on pc. right now its a complete mess. even after all the updates. really tempted to get that refund. but i want to believe they will fix it, add photomode, and let me enjoy a good looking game already.

I really wish they would do justice to the game on pc. right now its a complete mess. even after all the updates. really tempted to get that refund. but i want to believe they will fix it, add photomode, and let me enjoy a good looking game already.

Photo mode has been added I believe. And GAF user jim2point0 created a free-cam mod a while ago. It isn't as streamlined as photo mode, almost certainly, but it probably allows more freedom. It's how I took this:

brau

Photo mode has been added I believe. And GAF user jim2point0 created a free-cam mod a while ago. It isn't as streamlined as photo mode, almost certainly, but it probably allows more freedom. It's how I took this:

How do i enable photomode? i looked for it since some people been posting pics on the screen thread. They look pretty cool.

I'll look into reshades and what not. I just don't mess around until they are done patching i guess. Is it stable?

Top Bottom