• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Kezen

Banned
Very small update today (1.5kbits). All my settings have been reset, had to disable film grain and CA yet again.

Made another run, as usual, stress-testing : batmobile firing, crashing into everything to really demonstrate the stutter.
vX9oz5Z.png

Everything normal settings maxed + 2 Gameworks stuff (lighting and rain).

Still stuttery of course but plenty playable by my standards. The game really shines at 60fps.

JRW

Maybe it's your CPU causing bottlenecks by either being to old or too hot?

If my understanding of a CPU bottleneck is correct it would've shown higher CPU usage in the screenshot below?

My CPU is old (1st gen i7) but don't think it's slow enough to cause a bottleneck, at least it's overclocked & also running the DDR3 memory with faster timing (1T command rate).

FPS is pegged at 60 while GPU usage is bouncing up & down like that, maybe I shouldn't bother trying to figure it out lol.

aIS3o1x.png

Sober

Decided to download this again, see how it runs.

It basically runs exactly as it did on launch on my 2GB GTX770 - so I'm limited to low textures - which is mostly decent but obviously can't hold 60fps. Driving is about 35-60 depending on scenery complexity, gliding is usually 50s-60s unless I'm diving, at which case it goes into the 35-45 range.

I tried doing adaptive 60fps + RTSS 30 fps lock but I cannot for the life of me play any Arkham games at 30 fps really, though the only advantage is that it's pretty much rock solid 30 fps.

I'm either not sensitive to really really small microstutters or I don't get them. No big hitches or freezes, just sometimes fps plummets but even then it very very rarely dips below 30. For me it's fine, tolerable, my GPU isn't that great, etc. Personally don't mind low textures with LOD to high, shadows normal, no gameworks, all the post-stuff except AA is off (not a fan of a lot of postprocessing). Such a shame that people whose PCs clearly outclass mine are getting the shaft though.

I'm more disappointed about the DLC content though, especially the challenge stuff. Went through some of it. Definitely not worth it. Might just play it all though and then refund it still.

Very small update today (1.5kbits). All my settings have been reset, had to disable film grain and CA yet again.

Made another run, as usual, stress-testing : batmobile firing, crashing into everything to really demonstrate the stutter.
vX9oz5Z.png

Everything normal settings maxed + 2 Gameworks stuff (lighting and rain).

Still stuttery of course but plenty playable by my standards. The game really shines at 60fps.
It seems to reset my settings every few days, no idea why. Not an issue in other games.

Is it just me or is this game really quiet? In terms of ambient noise, I mean. The voices/music seem fine and when there's something happening (driving/fighting) it ok too, but when I'm flying about in the city it all seems to quiet. I'd at least expect the heavy rain to be making some noise.

Is it my game/setup or just another feature of this outstanding port?

Travolta

Neo Member
Is it just me or is this game really quiet? In terms of ambient noise, I mean. The voices/music seem fine and when there's something happening (driving/fighting) it ok too, but when I'm flying about in the city it all seems to quiet. I'd at least expect the heavy rain to be making some noise.

Is it my game/setup or just another feature of this outstanding port?

I thought the same thing, specially that there is no rain sound whatsoever.... I "modded" my game by playing one of these 10hour Youtube videos of raining sound on the background while playing the game LOL, Yeah I know, inelegant solution but it works :)

I thought the same thing, specially that there is no rain sound whatsoever.... I "modded" my game by playing one of these 10hour Youtube videos of raining sound on the background while playing the game LOL, Yeah I know, inelegant solution but it works :)

Now there's an idea. Thanks.

Shame that it's so quiet though.

JRW

YouTube uses a bit of GPU power tho might be better off making it into an MP3 first lol.

Season of infamy achievements have showed up on steamDB, kinda weird considering the Catwoman story would've been released first.

The Season of Infamy

Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Digging through the files shows that the villains are Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Black Mask, Mister Freeze, Ra’s Al Ghul, and Prometheus.

Jin

Well, it's official. There will be no SLI/Crossfire support.

We’ve been working with our development and graphics driver partners over the last few months to investigate utilizing multi-GPU support within Batman: Arkham Knight. The result was that even the best case estimates for performance improvements turned out to be relatively small given the high risk of creating new issues for all players. As a result we’ve had to make the difficult decision to stop work on further multi-GPU support. We are disappointed that this was not practical and apologize to those who have been waiting for this feature..

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/490125737477100172/

Tizoc

Been looking for this thread lol.

Game runs at best between 20-30 FPS for me and yet I have no problems with the combat. This is with the settings on Low or Normal with AA and Vsync on, along with AF being at x16
It's playable bizarrely enough but I could feel that it's not optimal. Gonna see if I can get a refund on the game or at least the season pass.

c0Zm1c

At this point it's just comical that they couldn't get SLI working satisfactorily on top of them struggling to sort out the game's now infamously poor state.

This game has been a complete disaster on PC.

Indeed!

I'm not surprised. Expecting this to be more and more common.

I don't think it can be seen as a sign of things to come, not with other recent games soaring in SLI (Mad Max, Star Wars: Battlefront) proving otherwise. People need to stop using Arkham Knight as an example for comparison, in any respect, given its exceptional circumstances.

komorebi

Such a same. This is a really great game that's been ruined on PC. I'd love to play at a solid 60fps with no stuttering and hitching...maybe they have some more patches for that coming.

I'm not surprised. Expecting this to be more and more common.

If Batman Arkham Knight PC, built on a heavily modified last gen engine, a port so exceptionally poor that it was removed from stores for months to only be re-released in a not quite so bad but still awful state, indicates anything about future PC ports, then you must expect a dark future.

Kezen

Banned
At this point it's just comical that they couldn't get SLI working satisfactorily on top of them struggling to sort out the game's now infamously poor state.

Indeed!

I don't think it can be seen as a sign of things to come, not with other recent games soaring in SLI (Mad Max, Star Wars: Battlefront) proving otherwise. People need to stop using Arkham Knight as an example for comparison, in any respect, given its exceptional circumstances.

If Batman Arkham Knight PC, built on a heavily modified last gen engine, a port so exceptionally poor that it was removed from stores for months to only be re-released in a not quite so bad but still awful state, indicates anything about future PC ports, then you must expect a dark future.

I was only alluding to SLI there, I don't expect many devs to bother with it at all. Maybe with DX12.

This is the worst joke in the History of Gaming.

Shame on Rocksteady. This is a tragedy for the gaming Industry.
ehhhh I can think of a lot worse. The game is playable at 30fps. Shitty but hardly the end of the world and not even the worst thing to happen in the industry in the past two years.

I was only alluding to SLI there, I don't expect many devs to bother with it at all. Maybe with DX12.

Why's that though? Again, using arguably the most dismal release in the history of PC gaming as your baseline for what to expect in the future seems like a kind of pessimistic way of looking at things.

MaLDo

SLI works fine in

Sonic Lost World
COD Black Ops 3
Mad Max
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Star Wars Battlefront
The Crew Wild Run
Dirt Rally
Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
NBA 2K16
Assault Android Cactus
LEGO Jurassic World
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
Rocket League
The Witcher 3 (brightness problem with x3 gpus)
Trine 3
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Life is Strange
GTA V
Valkyria Chronicles
Dying Light
Battlefield Hardline
Project CARS
Assetto Corsa
Dragonball Xenoverse

doesn't work in

F1 2015 (no news about SLI)
Batman Arkham Knight (devs give up)
Fallout 4 (patch incoming)
Mortal Kombat X (shitty port)
Wolfenstein The Old Blood (idtech5)

and surely will work in Just Cause 3.

It's not a perfect situation, but neither is a bad trend.

Shepard

Purchased the game recently and I have to say it runs way better than reports led me to believe. I have a pretty nice rig, so I think I'm bruteforcing my way, but the only performance dip came after 3 hours of consecutive play, and when I was riding the batmobile, framerate dip to single digits. Had to restart the game and then the same area ran at 60 fps. I have smoke and debris off, but the rest on max.

c0Zm1c

History, in my experience, suggests SLI has it's ups and downs. I don't think it's going to become a thing of the past. Prior to my current GTX690 I had a GTX295 (also a dual GPU card) and was very pleased with the support and performance I got out of that card. I was initally disappointed moving up to the 690 but support and the performance has improved again I think. I'll most likely be getting just a single GPU next time, because this time around I doubt I'll be able to afford the extra expense of a dual GPU set up, but that being the case I will sorely miss the extra raw performance and longevity a second GPU can provide. It's the reason I'm getting 60fps on an older card in Fallout 4 with the settings I'm using and that doesn't even have official SLI support.

This is the worst joke in the History of Gaming.

Shame on Rocksteady. This is a tragedy for the gaming Industry.

It only affected the PC version, and it was mainly Warner Bros. decision to remove it from the store that gave it the media attention it got (and deserved). If it wasn't for Steam offering refunds the game would never have left the store and it would be viewed as just another game that isn't good on PC.

Reallink

It only affected the PC version, and it was mainly Warner Bros. decision to remove it from the store that gave it the media attention it got (and deserved). If it wasn't for Steam offering refunds the game would never have left the store and it would be viewed as just another game that isn't good on PC.

I couldn't even get the ending on my game cause I did too many side quests before the final story mission. Think that effects every version, the game is broke in more ways than just a shit PC port.

KingV

The icing on the cake for this is how trash they have treated the Nvidia AK owners.

We didn't even get the owners pack of old arkham games.

Kezen

Banned
SLI works fine in

Sonic Lost World
COD Black Ops 3
Mad Max
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Star Wars Battlefront
The Crew Wild Run
Dirt Rally
Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
NBA 2K16
Assault Android Cactus
LEGO Jurassic World
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
Rocket League
The Witcher 3 (brightness problem with x3 gpus)
Trine 3
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Life is Strange
GTA V
Valkyria Chronicles
Dying Light
Battlefield Hardline
Project CARS
Assetto Corsa
Dragonball Xenoverse

doesn't work in

F1 2015 (no news about SLI)
Batman Arkham Knight (devs give up)
Fallout 4 (patch incoming)
Mortal Kombat X (shitty port)
Wolfenstein The Old Blood (idtech5)

and surely will work in Just Cause 3.

It's not a perfect situation, but neither is a bad trend.

Reading various PC gaming forums I got the impression that SLI was never working properly and was regularly broken by patches or drivers.
Glad to see it's not a nightmare for everyone though.

MaLDo

Reading various PC gaming forums I got the impression that SLI was never working properly and was regularly broken by patches or drivers.
Glad to see it's not a nightmare for everyone though.

Usually people talk about their problems. If that's the only input you have about it I can understand your point of view.

LOL figures.

The icing on the cake for this is how trash they have treated the Nvidia AK owners.

We didn't even get the owners pack of old arkham games.

Really, we're not getting that bone thrown to us either? I thought that was due in December?

NewEgg has treated us, or at least me better than WB or NVIDIA with getting MGSV and I ended up being a shameless whore and brought up the Ubisoft deal a few weeks ago while chatting with a CS about something else. Didn't expect them to actually do it but they gave me a key which I used for Assassin's Creed: Syndicate which also runs better than BAK so far. >_>

Kezen

Banned
Usually people talk about their problems. If that's the only input you have about it I can understand your point of view.

I understand that but it seems to me that when someone reports problems in various PC forums SLI is often the culprit.
I wish it was better supported but I suppose it is very hard to argue against economics. The SLI user base must be rather small.

If you bought it through Steam, file an official refund ticket through Steam Support at https://help.steampowered.com/

If you bought it through a third-party site like GreenManGaming or Gamersgate, contact their support staff.

If you bought it through a shady key reseller like G2A or cdkeys.com, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean CDkeys were selling it cheap enough that it's hardly worth returning imo. It's mostly playable now...

wazoo

Currently retrying AK with Gsync on a GTX 970.

Not sure if it will stays the same all the time but currently performance is great.

1080p max settings.

Vsync off (gsync requirement) and IPS locked at 90

I got more than 60 fps,

Kezen

Banned
Currently retrying AK with Gsync on a GTX 970.

Not sure if it will stays the same all the time but currently performance is great.

1080p max settings.

Vsync off (gsync requirement) and IPS locked at 90

I got more than 60 fps,

Does the game stutter too noticeably for you ? It does in my case but it's far from distracting.

Kezen

Banned
qLQnqGz.png

359 WHQL drivers. Running on my Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

As usual, no on foot segments, only Batmobile blasting through the streets of Gotham, firing, crashing into everything.
The point is to amplify stuttering.

This is the worst it can get, no stuttering on foot on indoors except when it saves strangely enough.

The graph is telling enough I believe, this is not a pristine, locked, immaculate 60fps but it runs very well and in play I quickly forget about those mild stutters. This is not a perfect 60fps but it sticks awful close to that target.

Max normal settings and two Gameworks settings engaged (lighting and rain), 1080p.

wazoo

Does the game stutter too noticeably for you ? It does in my case but it's far from distracting.

no stutter in fullscreen, I did not expected such performance. It seems AK has a terrible vsync behaviour.

In windowed, it is a bit worse, but it has to be related to the amount of VRAM, I am playing at the 4GB limit.

qLQnqGz.png

359 WHQL drivers. Running on my Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

As usual, no on foot segments, only Batmobile blasting through the streets of Gotham, firing, crashing into everything.
The point is to amplify stuttering.

This is the worst it can get, no stuttering on foot on indoors except when it saves strangely enough.

The graph is telling enough I believe, this is not a pristine, locked, immaculate 60fps but it runs very well and in play I quickly forget about those mild stutters. This is not a perfect 60fps but it sticks awful close to that target.

Max normal settings and two Gameworks settings engaged (lighting and rain), 1080p.

What's your GPU/CPU?

Kezen

Banned
no stutter in fullscreen, I did not expected such performance. It seems AK has a terrible vsync behaviour.
In windowed, it is a bit worse, but it has to be related to the amount of VRAM, I am playing at the 4GB limit.
I'm running fullscreen as well, I have not noted any strange behavior related to vsync. I tried capping the FPS at 60 with RTSS or via the driver panel, no improvements in either case.

What's your GPU/CPU?
I7 4770k stock
GTX 980
And very importantly : 16gb of ram. This game runs much "smoother" (read : more consistent frametimes) after my 16gb upgrade.

For those wondering how I made this graph : download Fraps viewer here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/
Run Fraps (not fraps viewer) and press F11 to start recording and again to stop.

Exit your game, run Fraps viewer and quickly you will be redirected to the folder in which Fraps saves its benchmarks (C->Fraps->benchmarks). Drag the frametimes file (clearly labeled) in the Fraps viewer window and upload it to imgur.

Top Bottom