• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Conquest PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test

Kinan

I think you're confusing with Titanfall 2 on the Xbox one.

I can only cite it once more:

Pixel counts indicate that conquest mode in Battlefield 1 on PS4 uses a dynamic resolution. The lowest and highest pixel counts found during regular gameplay were approximately 1100x620 and 1807x1014 respectively. There also appears to be a rare bug that causes the resolution to drop to an extremely low pixel count for a short period of time as can be seen here http://imgur.com/a/jHoB2. The lowest pixel count found during this drop is about 160x90.

We must have played different games

"Already close to 1080p"? At points PS4 went SUB HD. Sub 720p!

Most of the time it was in between 900p and 1080p on the lower side.

The FPS of the PS4 game on conquest was according to DF around 49 FPS with XB1 around 51 FPS. PS4 Pro is recorded at being 57 FPS, that's no small feat.

I think people are expecting a bit too much from the CPU.

It was never close to 60FPS, not in conquest multiplayer anyway.
And it was also not close to 1080P, it topped out at 1000P, but had dynamic res meaning it dropped below more often than not due to the fact that it constantly suffered performance issues.

Well, I'm playing on 65" 4k TV and I don't really see much improvement on the resolution front.
I'm mostly playing smaller game modes so maybe thats why I haven't noticed much of a smoother framerate.
Anyway, I expect it to go way beyond 1080p on the Pro.

Trust me guys. Its night and day difference. Dice can further optimize in patches. Did they improve BF4 from launch? Canf remember.

wiggleb0t

Banned
at 2:35-2:40 it seems like 15-20fps although it's only a dip to 50fps.

Is that panning around just how it goes when using a controller? I'm not a fps console person and video of a fps using a controller always looks odd to me.

Cool option for ps4 pro users or potential pro customers.

On Xbox it works that way, but not on PS4. Digital Foundry tested it with Project Cars and saw no improvement on the Pro. Games do need a patch to take any advantage of the extra hardware.

The games should still run in base mode, I believe they have to have Pro support added for them to take advantage of the PS4 Pro's additional power.

Good to know. Hopefully games that are currently being supported get something. I'd love to see Rainbow Six get some love. I know that games after launch have to support it

Xater

Good to know. Hopefully games that are currently being supported get something. I'd love to see Rainbow Six get some love. I know that games after launch have to support it

Yeah Rainbow would be good considering it's still very active. I'd also like to see Blizzard do something for Overwatch.

Xyber

PS4 runs @ 1,6GHz and PS4 Pro runs @ 2,13GHz, so the increase in clockspeed is more than 33%.

And I also doubt that the framerate in CQ64 was only limited by CPU-power.

Not all the time, but on St Quentin and Amiens (and probably in some areas on Empire's Edge) it is definitely a CPU bottleneck going by how it performs on PC.

If my 5820K@4.6GHz limits my 1080 on those maps, then those slow Jaguar cores can definitely hold the game back on consoles.

The high playercount is really CPU intensive and it's why the game runs much better in the modes with less players. Add in that some areas of some maps are more CPU demanding than others for some reason and you get those drops to a constant 40FPS.

cakely

Very nice improvements!

This should finally put to bed the mistaken idea that people keep bringing up that PS4P framerate improvements aren't allowed in multiplayer.

Theorry

Very nice improvements!

This should finally put to bed the mistaken idea that people keep bringing up that PS4P framerate improvements aren't allowed in multiplayer.

Its isnt allowed if a game is 30fps like for example Destiny and then make it 60fps on the Pro.

Very nice improvements!

Is that not what Sony said? BF1 MP ran at 60fps so of course it's gonna run at 60fps on PS4P. What they can't do is make it go over 60

cakely

Its isnt allowed if a game is 30fps like for example Destiny and then make it 60fps on the Pro.

Is that not what Sony said? BF1 MP ran at 60fps so of course it's gonna run at 60fps on PS4P. What they can't do is make it go over 60

Yep, I know this, it's obvious.

We've had people here claiming that no framerate performance would be possible in PS4P multiplayer, and here's one of our first examples.

McHuj

I'm glad I bit on the pro then (despite cancelling the pre-order and then getting it yetsterday anyways)

It looks so much better. This plus the VR improvements sells me on the system easily. I showed the video to my wife, but I am not sure it convinced her that I should blow $400 on a slightly upgraded version of a console I already own. In fact, her exact reaction to it was "ok". Maybe I should link her to it again?

AmyS

Fantastic to hear this. Sounds like a very large improvement all things considered, and it's still early days with PS4 Pro.

Elios83

So the game is native 1080p and with much better frame rate on the Pro?
Not sure why the OP sounds almost a bit negative.
Clearly the best console to play Battlefield1 at the moment.

low-G

Sooo.. people with Pro's are going to have advantage over OG models?

Yep, and even those MP games that don't have framerate differences will give Pro players better distant clarity in the form of resolution.

Console & PC on even footing as far as MP fairness now...

nashman

Played my first match on my PRO. Was in the zeppelin normally I can't barely make out what's going on the ground up there but this match the combo of higher res and better framerate I was getting a bunch of kills. The improved wifi prolly helped too. Sorry to say but yeah bit of a 2 tier experience now OG vs Pro.

A sniper away from battle also has a higher fps than the players in the middle of explosions. Isnt that advantage on the original ps4?

Xyber

A sniper away from battle also has a higher fps than the players in the middle of explosions. Isnt that advantage on the original ps4?

Yeah, it's a silly argument when everyone's FPS are not linked. You who are in the middle of and explosion will have a bigger FPS drop than the guy who caused it who is standing 20 meters away even on the original PS4. Is that an unfair advantage too?

The one with higher FPS will have slightly better responsiveness in his controls, but in the grand scheme of things it really won't make a huge difference. In some other fight you will be the one with the higher FPS.

And if a steady 60FPS is that important to someone (especially in a game like Battlefield), it's perhaps time to start thinking about playing shooters on PC instead.

anothertech

Lots of downplaying for such an incredible feat.

Increased res AND frame rate, and fairly stable 60 is incredible for this game. Expensive pc's have trouble doing the same.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Increased res AND frame rate, and fairly stable 60 is incredible for this game. Expensive pc's have trouble doing the same.
You can get that kind of performance on a pretty modest mid range rig. You still get drops to the 40s on the Pro when things get hairy.

Piggus

Not sure I would call it incredible until we actually see if there were any visual enhancements to closer match the PC version. Based on the comparison video, it doesn't look like it. The Pro has a GPU similar in power to the Radeon RX470, which can max out BF1 at 1080p. Why no screenspace reflections, for example? It makes a really big difference on rainy maps or maps with a lot of puddles.

majik13

Pretty underwhelming.
I expected a nice resolution bump and stable 60FPS, give that it was already close to 1080p and close to 60FPS before

with online games I think its Sony guidelines that they cant up the resolution or framerate compared to the OG PS4. All they can do is give better performance in the base res and frame rate. So we cant expect any MP game to give any significant boost in those departments over their targeted specs.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Lol @ people who really try to downplay these huge improvements. Damn.

People discussing the technical performance of a game on new hardware on a gaming site in a thread titled "Frame rate test" is "lol really trying to downplay huge improvements"?

It's a huge improvement many gamers would be happy with based on the previous dynamic resolution and framerates achieved on the PS4/XBO.
Although, hardware releasing at the end of 2016 makes 1080p and 60fps in mp seem like a fair expectation and it met that with some dips.

Scar is the only map I get drops on PC as well, so it's understandable that would carry over to the console version.

Edit: That's maxed out at 4K60, hits the low 50's on only that map.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Someone from Dice mentioned a 4k update so I wonder if there will be any further optimizations to the 1080p mode.

cooldawn

I quickly read the Digital Foundry piece and...there's no downsampling at all?

Performance gains are nice but why provide better resolutions without downsampling?

Top Bottom