• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 reveal due "in about 90 days"

RiverBed

Banned
im-so-excited-juliehutton-com.jpg

Trojan X

Banned
Naturally I haven't seen anything from BF4 but personally I am worried about cannibalization. BF3 is a brilliant game with a superb engine! The game alone can continue for another few instalments post the launch of the AfterMath premium DLC by utilising tons of exciting content that doesn’t involve new multiplayer maps. Also, the community on BF3 is huge with many gamers playing the game actively; I haven’t seen the numbers but I believe the activity drop-off of gamers playing the game online is shallow compared to many games out there.

So considering this, I believe BF4 really shouldn't be called BF4 at all for the title name alone already runs risk of cannibalization along with its leaked "modern era" theme, which is the same theme as BF3. So really, I strongly believe that the next Battlefield should be the next instalment or sequel to Battlefield 2142. The setting and gameplay style of Battlefield 2142 is different from BF3 due to the features, use of vehicles, and the obvious futuristic settings that leads to stronger imagination as you are not confined to reality. If this is done the right way, like the next Battlestar Galactica or something, the game will provide enough differentiation to keep both BF audience happy for the audience won’t feel “ripped-off” with their long investment on BF3.

Battlefield_2142_box_art.jpg

This is what I believe. So yes, I am excited but I am really apprehensive due to the above.

Raide

Make it a launch title for next-gen and I am all for it. Cannot see any reason to produce another gimped version like Console BF3 was. That 64 player PC action would be a massive boost for next-gen consoles.

Sid

Make it a launch title for next-gen and I am all for it. Cannot see any reason to produce another gimped version like Console BF3 was. That 64 player PC action would be a massive boost for next-gen consoles.
This will be cross gen for sure due to the massive PS360 install base.

Raide

This will be cross gen for sure due to the massive PS360 install base.

I can see why they would not want to loose out on that install base but if it is not a great leap from BF3 (Graphically on consoles it won't be) then people could be put off by it. Anyway, as long as they actually have a 720/PS4 version, then all will be good. As a graphical showcase for next-gen, BF4 would be a great fit right?

olimpia84

If the rumors of this game being a PS4 launch title are true then I already have a must have PS4 title in my list! :)

Sid

I can see why they would not want to loose out on that install base but if it is not a great leap from BF3 (Graphically on consoles it won't be) then people could be put off by it. Anyway, as long as they actually have a 720/PS4 version, then all will be good. As a graphical showcase for next-gen, BF4 would be a great fit right?
Of course and the next gen versions running @60FPS is a huge advantage in itself,we'll see how far ahead they look than the current gen versions in a few months.

If the rumors of this game being a PS4 launch title are true then I already have a must have PS4 title in my list! :)
That's a given.

StuBurns

Banned
A must have XB3 title too, presumably.

It'll be very smart for EA to push this big with the new twins, seed a fanbase for this IP hard in the first year, because they'll probably be another four BFs on those platforms over the next ten years.

For me releasing BF4 so soon after 3 is going to cheapen the brand. A would have liked them to release BF4 only after they can get full benefit of next gen consoles. Having it on Xbox 360 and PS4 will result in too many compromises. Should have released Bad Company this year.

With MoH being put to stud, we can expect a BF game every year.

It wasn't that different before. 1942 came out in 2002 (2 expansion packs in 2003), Vietnam in 2004, BF2 in 2005, 2142 in 2006 (expansion in 2007), Bad Company in 2008, Heroes and 1943 in 2009, BC2 in 2010, BF3 in 2011 (expansion packs 2012) and now BF3 in 2013. Sure, not all those games were numbered games, but the idea that your enjoyment of the game would be soured by the name smacks of being a bit mental, tbh.

RoKKeR

So we're all waiting on Microsoft/Sony then, the new consoles will surely be announced by May. I think Battlefield 4 is in a really good spot to capture the next gen FPS market, especially if the leaked details are true.

Naturally I haven't seen anything from BF4 but personally I am worried about cannibalization. BF3 is a brilliant game with a superb engine! The game alone can continue for another few instalments post the launch of the AfterMath premium DLC by utilising tons of exciting content that doesn’t involve new multiplayer maps. Also, the community on BF3 is huge with many gamers playing the game actively; I haven’t seen the numbers but I believe the activity drop-off of gamers playing the game online is shallow compared to many games out there.

So considering this, I believe BF4 really shouldn't be called BF4 at all for the title name alone already runs risk of cannibalization along with its leaked "modern era" theme, which is the same theme as BF3. So really, I strongly believe that the next Battlefield should be the next instalment or sequel to Battlefield 2142. The setting and gameplay style of Battlefield 2142 is different from BF3 due to the features, use of vehicles, and the obvious futuristic settings that leads to stronger imagination as you are not confined to reality. If this is done the right way, like the next Battlestar Galactica or something, the game will provide enough differentiation to keep both BF audience happy for the audience won’t feel “ripped-off” with their long investment on BF3.

Battlefield_2142_box_art.jpg

This is what I believe. So yes, I am excited but I am really apprehensive due to the above.

Damn that would be awesome. This or a cyberpunk setting.

It wasn't that different before. 1942 came out in 2002 (2 expansion packs in 2003), Vietnam in 2004, BF2 in 2005, 2142 in 2006 (expansion in 2007), Bad Company in 2008, Heroes and 1943 in 2009, BC2 in 2010, BF3 in 2011 (expansion packs 2012) and now BF3 in 2013. Sure, not all those games were numbered games, but the idea that your enjoyment of the game would be soured by the name smacks of being a bit mental, tbh.

Yeah good point and me being mental should not be brought into this :) I have played most of these titles (and enjoyed them).

The point I was trying to make is having BF3 and 4 so close together. It was 8 years between BF2 and 3, I think the numbered sequels should be generational leaps. With so many map packs and other downloadable content, releases seem much more close together now. Revisiting WWII or 2142 would have served the series better (in my opinion) and then release BF4 in 2015/16.

I can not be the only person that loses interest in a series if the games become too similar, Assassins Creed and COD being a good examples.

I'm fine with the short time between Battlefield games, but what i am not happy with is what is basically a replacement for BF3 being released so soon. If it was something like Battlefield 2143 instead of Battlefield 4 i would be fine with it. The new one is going to be set in the modern day as well which means it is just making the previous game obsolete, which a different setting wouldn't of done.

A must have XB3 title too, presumably.

It'll be very smart for EA to push this big with the new twins, seed a fanbase for this IP hard in the first year, because they'll probably be another four BFs on those platforms over the next ten years.

Definitely. EA is playing their hand very well. Although I am surprised they haven't positioned Respawns game as this early new gen product in the same way that Activision is putting Destiny and Ubisoft with Watch_Dogs as their early products.

Biggzy

Definitely. EA is playing their hand very well. Although I am surprised they haven't positioned Respawns game as this early new gen product in the same way that Activision is putting Destiny and Ubisoft with Watch_Dogs as their early products.

Maybe Respawn's game is not ready yet.

Naturally I haven't seen anything from BF4 but personally I am worried about cannibalization.

The only way this thing makes sense to me is that it's because of the next gen consoles and them being able to better utilize Frostbite 2.

A clever and not money-hungry company would wait for the new gen of consoles to be announced, and gather their resources to create a multiplatform war game that would utilise new consoles and new PC graphics cards to their full extent.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe Respawns' game is not ready yet.
Yeah, I think it's just that really. Respawn's game has to be industry defining, and it needs to be on enough systems to make lots of cash, without being PS360. It would have been great to have it this year, and it would have helped put it firmly in the minds of all the core audience, but it's too much to ask for a launch window title.
A clever and not money-hungry company would wait for the new gen of consoles to be announced, and gather their resources to create a multiplatform war game that would utilise new consoles and new PC graphics cards to their full extent.
Those things don't exist.

I do agree with you, but you also said they should release BC3 this year instead; Which is basically the same game without jets.

As its quite clear DICE want to continue the modern shooter direction of the series. I would have preferred Bad Company if they were going modern again this year. BC games had a better single player campaign than BF3, with the humor and group dynamic making it feel a lot different from the main BF games.

Ideally though I would like them to move away from modern shooters for a few years. Some of the latest BF3 maps have felt too similar to COD.

I don't think Sony has any incentive to show the PS4 prior to TLOU (and probably Beyond) launching. MS doesn't want to show as to not hurt the 360 sales, but they have less of an incentive than Sony as they don't have any big 360 games scheduled. I still think they will only show it running on a PC with target platforms a la watch dogs and SW1313

dorkimoe

Gold Member
i really cant see them changing the setting. They are just going to take after call of duty and make it the same thing with 8 new maps (10 if you pre order!)

-Stranger-

I am so excited, clocked over 300 hours in BF3 multiplayer.
I will be buying the Durango day 1 along with Battlefield 4

Trojan X

Banned
I am so excited, clocked over 300 hours in BF3 multiplayer.
I will be buying the Durango day 1 along with Battlefield 4

If Battlefield 4 is exclusive to Durango then that alone would give Microsoft a massive head start in revenues...

... unless Sony counters by making Modern Warfare exclusive to the Orbis. Now that would be an interesting war.

JJD

It'll be interesting to know if they do a WII U version.

The WiiU is starving for games and a blockbuster like BF4 would be a welcome addition.

Dice could do some cool things with the commander mode on the controller/tablet, but for classic infantry playing the pro controller would be a much better fit.

Obviously the WiiU version would be a port of the PS3 and 360 versions with reduced player count and worse graphics compared to the Orbis and Durango versions.

I think it would be a good fit, but there are 2 problems: EA doesn't seem willing to invest in the WiiU and the differences between the WiiU version and the Orbis/Durango ones would put the WU console in a bad light that Nintendo might want to avoid.

It will probably never happen... =(

If Battlefield 4 is exclusive to Durango then that alone would give Microsoft a massive head start in revenues...

... unless Sony counters by making Modern Warfare exclusive to the Orbis. Now that would be an interesting war.

If something like that happened it would be much more probable that BF4 ended up being exclusive to Orbis and COD to Durango going by how things went this generation.

But EA thinks that BF is in a position to become the leading FPS in the industry so console exclusivity is absolutely out of the window. Maybe Sony or MS can come up with a timed exclusivity on DLC but that's it.

Trojan X

Banned
If something like that happened it would be much more probable that BF4 ended up being exclusive to Orbis and COD to Durango going by how things went this generation.

But EA thinks that BF is in a position to become the leading FPS in the industry so console exclusivity is absolutely out of the window. Maybe Sony or MS can come up with a timed exclusivity on DLC but that's it.

My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom