• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One Impressions + Bonus XB1 Controller Impressions & Vid

Tabular

Banned
Gif of the video.

animation1vdlfr.gif

Ah, the memories...For those who haven't seen it...

input_laghqxmv.gif

Lolll, that is some next gen latency ;).

I tried Heavenly sword again to check for lag and it is a bit laggy, but not as laggy as in that other gif. I think the gif was slowed down.

DVbwkmg.gif

nib95

Banned
I tried Heavenly sword again to check for lag and it is a bit laggy, but not as laggy as in that other gif. I think the gif was slowed down.

DVbwkmg.gif

I think both that earlier Heavenly Sword GIF and the BF4 gif are somewhat slowed down tbh.

Tabular

Banned
I think both that earlier Heavenly Sword GIF and the BF4 gif are somewhat slowed down tbh.

Your right. They both look slowed down. But I think that just accentuates the lag. The lag is still obviously there for both games. BF4 is a 60 frame per second first person shooter so the lag is more of a concern. One thing to consider though, is that the player is strafing, not looking around. Strafing often adds weight to the movement to simulate real life physics. So there may be less lag to the camera movement.

DR3AM

i played forza the other day at my campus, controller was great. i didnt feel the sticks rumble tho. maybe it was disabled.

ethomaz

Banned
Someone in Xbox One subreddit posted those Pics of BF4 (on Xbox one of course)

In the first pic, can someone tell me where did that big shadow in the ground come from?
Seems like your gun lol

Anyway I didn't played the PC or 360 Demo... so what these pics compare with others versions?

Sioen

From what i can see of those pictures, which isn't much the graphics don't look that much better.. At all.

nib95

Banned
From what i can see of those pictures, which isn't much the graphics don't look that much better.. At all.

I didn't want to give an opinion based on shoddy off screen photo's, but yea, the graphics look poor. As in, such that I'm not sure which will be better looking in MP, BF4 or COD Ghosts. I know that sounds like an extreme opinion, but the footage coming out of Eurogamer isn't so hot. We lambasted Ghosts for baked sun rays, but BF4 in the XO build at Eurogamer barely had shadows at all...

Joco

I really need to go hands on with both the X1 and PS4's controllers. Definitely one of my biggest areas of concern heading into next-gen.

Sioen

I didn't want to give an opinion based on shoddy off screen photo's, but yea, the graphics look poor. As in, such that I'm not sure which will be better looking in MP, BF4 or COD Ghosts. I know that sounds like an extreme opinion, but the footage coming out of Eurogamer isn't so hot. We lambasted Ghosts for baked sun rays, but BF4 in the XO build at Eurogamer barely had shadows at all...
To be honest, Ghost is looking to have better graphics than this.

Tabular

Banned
I can't imagine playing with that much delay. Especially coming from a DmC/NGBlack background.

Despite the lag though, there were a few great levels with unique gameplay. The lag spoiled the game a bit for me for sure. But the story was amazing so I still loved the game.

NGS has pretty awesome responsiveness imo.

ViIVC1v.gif

Same with Infamous 2.

CMysmqw.gif

nib95

Banned
To be honest, Ghost is looking to have better graphics than this.

I think I might agree, at least with regards to the MP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JKAFme2S2sM#t=26

Not sure if posted. Dem shadows (Silly, I know)

We have only ever seen Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One on what has to be the worst possible cameras ever.

Well, at least in that video there are shadows around the tanks and other titbits (I think).

Here's the other vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWESalJ5Nw

Madness

I'm calling Bullshit, somebody trolling with 360 pics.

They have the Kinect sensor in the image for the second pic.

It's not trolling, it's simply a launch game that was developed for current gen and ported to next gen.

Ground up development for next gen consoles like Ryse, Killzone, Infamous will show how great launch games can look.

We went from shit like Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark to like Gears of War within a year of 360 launch.

satam55

Banned
They have the Kinect sensor in the image for the second pic.

It's not trolling, it's simply a launch game that was developed for current gen and ported to next gen.

Ground up development for next gen consoles like Ryse, Killzone, Infamous will show how great launch games can look.

We went from shit like Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark to like Gears of War within a year of 360 launch.

ummm....."Ryse" is also Xbox360 Kinect game that got ported to Xbox1.

Radec

The year they were demonstrating Halo CE Anniversary (2011?), literally EVERY game at Fan Expo had brutal lag because they were using TV's with the 120hz motion smoothing crap turned on. So I'd take this gif with a grain of salt.

Also, I played Forza 5 at this year's Fan Expo and it was VERY responsive. I really doubt that there's something inherent in the console that would cause this.

Oh, and finally, the description of the controller just makes it sound like a hit piece. When I tried it, I thought it felt incredible and felt every one of the hundreds of millions of dollars they apparently spent on developing it in all the refinements. It definitely felt more responsive in terms of point of articulation on the accelerator and turning radius than the 360 controller was with previous Forza games.

Is anyone saying this ?

If there's an input lag, its either the game itself or the TV.

TheCloser

Banned
Someone in Xbox One subreddit posted those Pics of BF4 (on Xbox one of course)

In the first pic, can someone tell me where did that big shadow in the ground come from?

This makes Cod Ghost look like it has amazing next gen graphics. I guess the guy wasn't lying when he said it looked slightly better than the 360. Wow, that is rough.

Nizz

Christ, that input lag gif is giving me flashbacks of the PS3 version of BF3. Dice didn't take care of the input lag fully till about a year after the game released. I want to pull the trigger and preorder BF4 but if this kind of input lag is present in the PS4 version then I may just get Ghosts instead.

ZeroAlpha

Banned
This makes Cod Ghost look like it has amazing next gen graphics. I guess the guy wasn't lying when he said it looked slightly better than the 360. Wow, that is rough.

I thought you were quoting yourself at first.

I recall the BF3 beta looking like shit too when i played it. Ill reserve judgement when the final game is out.

Ce-Lin

either the streams I'm watching of the PC Beta played @ultra settings 1080p/60fps are spoiling me or the images posted are fake, no way BF4 can look that bad on next-gen consoles, right ?

Interesting thing about those 2 leaked pictures is they confirm the info in OP about Kinect in use for BF4. Didn't notice it before, perhaps the use of kinect introduced additional lag on the whole game thus the input lag on controllers? It's probably that that needs fixing because I never heard of Kinect "leaning" around corners and voice commands in BF4 before.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm also not sure I agree with him on the pad. I did not get a chance to try a shooter, so I can't speak to ease of aim, but the rest of the controller felt great to my hands. The d-pad is a huge improvement (played Killer Instinct with it), the form was great, the rumble triggers were really slick, and I had no issues with the bumpers. Whether it bests the 360 pad remains to be seen by my first impressions were really good.

As others have noted, let's not forget that the TV they are using could very well be somewhat responsible for the extra lag as well. With the processing options cranked up as they often seemed to be at trade shows you're definitely going to see extra input lag.

Orayn

I've heard some of his complaints about the pad in isolation, but I think this is the first instance of someone simultaneously disliking all those things.

That just tells me it's definitely a different animal from the 360 controller. Still interested in getting one for PC, but I'll definitely need to spend some quality time at an Xbox One demo kiosk to get a feel or it.

Hurf

Neo Member
For all the problems the Xbone has (Virtually everything about it) input lag from the controller is pretty unlikely. Xbox 360 controller lag isn't bad and given that the gifs in this thread display what would be utterly unplayable lag I can't see it being anything but shitty early game builds and/or poorly set up TVs. There's no way Microsoft would fuck up something as essential as controller interaction that badly.

Retarded asymmetrical stick layout aside I quite like the form of the 360 controller and while the Xbone controller looks terrible in comparison in photos/videos I very much doubt that Microsoft will launch a console with the level of input lag shown in these gifs. That is some seriously fundamental shit that even Microsoft wouldn't fuck up.

Str1ke4

I don't really have a problem with the graphics but you do have to remember The 360/ps3 version of siege of shanghai has 3 flags, 30fps(i think) and there are no: Transport or attack helis, IFV's, jet skis, and attack boats.

Somehow I doubt BF4's recent Xbox One showings are representative of the final product.

Shocking I know.

the console is 1.5 months away, games should be golden at least a month before release. it's not like they can do last minutes changes(maybe through a patch after launch).

OT: so the game is running at 720p and still dips below 60 FPS? i really don't know what to say, i would understand if the game retained the PC version visuals but it did not.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
the console is 1.5 months away, games should be golden at least a month before release. it's not like they can do last minutes changes(maybe through a patch after launch).

OT: so the game is running at 720p and still dips below 60 FPS? i really don't know what to say, i would understand if the game retained the PC version visuals but it did not.
The PC version runs like garbage right now too so it's too early to call.

BigDug13

The game is probably golden right now. But they're not going to devote important development resources to making yet another build to appease forum nit-pickers when they have an older build ready to show off.

What you see at Expos is not representative of the actual state of the game's development.

FeiRR

Banned
I made a short clip from BF4 beta on PS3 for comparison of the input lag. My TV is in automatic game mode. I don't feel there are any problems with responsiveness. There's a difference between playing a game and watching a clip like that. Your perception of lag is bigger when watching. I don't have a 360. If you do, make a clip too.

http://youtu.be/ZwYavXGLFfE

Top Bottom