• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlegrounds trailer(by the creator of Arma Battle Royale and H1Z1:King of the Kill)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wow the beta I'm playing now runs on UE4? I can be sure it'll get optimized for sure then.

Yeah, they did a client optimization to save some memory before this weekend, gave a good ~5fps alone for me.

How come preorders are sold out? I watched the JackFrags video and now I want to play it. :(

We had allocated a specific number of beta keys and premium items to our pre-order program as a way to manage the number of players during the final testing period. We exceeded our expectations and are very thankful to all of those who participated in the pre-order. Now we are looking forward to the Early Access launch on the 23rd.

Vipu

Banned
They extended BETA by 12 hours for those who missed it; 4AM UTC on Tuesday is when it's closing.

You playing it right now?

Yeah I am.
Its pretty solid, still needs obviously work etc but it might become amazing.
My 4,2ghz xeon + gtx970 runs it pretty badly and would like to have more fps somehow.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah I am.
Its pretty solid, still needs obviously work etc but it might become amazing.
My 4,2ghz xeon + gtx970 runs it pretty badly and would like to have more fps somehow.
You can set launch parameter -sm4 and it should give a boost but it will look worse.

Anyone taking bets on how long this will be in early access? PC gaming is being dominated by piss poor survival and battle royale games stuck in early access forever.

jediyoshi

Anyone taking bets on how long this will be in early access? PC gaming is being dominated by piss poor survival and battle royale games stuck in early access forever.

Do people care? It's a completely arbitrary label. People's expectations remain the same before and after as services that continually get updated forever.

Do people care? It's a completely arbitrary label. People's expectations remain the same before and after as services that continually get updated forever.

I care, as do others. ARKs devs have used the excuse of their game needing polish because "it's in early access", meanwhile releasing $30 DLC

jediyoshi

I care, as do others. ARKs devs have used the excuse of their game needing polish because "it's in early access", meanwhile releasing $30 DLC

Again, what's the distinction you're even drawing to begin with? You're acting as if the state of the game is mutually exclusive to further anti consumer decisions. It's an arbitrary label the developers are the ones setting. Did you think before "Early Access" was a thing on Steam, unfinished games never came out?

Again, what's the distinction you're even drawing to begin with? You're acting as if the state of the game is mutually exclusive to further anti consumer decisions. It's an arbitrary label the developers are the ones setting. Did you think before "Early Access" was a thing on Steam, unfinished games never came out?

I think it's a marketing label to further gives devs an excuse if an incomplete game is launched.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We don’t expect Early Access to last longer than six months.”

How is this game compared to h1z1? I see it consistently in top games on Twitch and it seems most of the big streamers who played h1z1 now play this? It _looks_ less janky than h1z1 but I haven't played it to say for sure. Also how come the creator of h1z1 ditched that in favor of this? I can see abandoning the arma mod because well its' just a mod.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How is this game compared to h1z1? I see it consistently in top games on Twitch and it seems most of the big streamers who played h1z1 now play this? It _looks_ less janky than h1z1 but I haven't played it to say for sure. Also how come the creator of h1z1 ditched that in favor of this? I can see abandoning the arma mod because well its' just a mod.

It's miles better and the reason he made this is because he got full control and backing from Bluehole. SOE wouldn't let him.

It's miles better and the reason he made this is because he got full control and backing from Bluehole. SOE wouldn't let him.

They have two advantages over H1Z1 a MUCH better engine and freedom. Daybreak's MMO engine just does'nt feel well suited for a shooter. I know planetside ran on there but I felt it played poorly as well. I honestly have no idea what's going on at daybreak but the dev cycle for that game is so odd. They can't even get spectating to work over a year after it was promised. Big names on the dev team have left been replaced and left again. them splitting the development team into two has hardly seen any benefit to either game either. I want this game to succeed but I feel if it does and overtakes H1Z1 in a big way daybreak as a studio could be done for.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Man I just went to go buy and it's sold out?!?! Wanted to get in on the beta
Sold out the current test pool yes. Open for purchase the 23rd on Steam for those who missed out.
They have two advantages over H1Z1 a MUCH better engine and freedom. Daybreak's MMO engine just does'nt feel well suited for a shooter. I know planetside ran on there but I felt it played poorly as well. I honestly have no idea what's going on at daybreak but the dev cycle for that game is so odd. They can't even get spectating to work over a year after it was promised. Big names on the dev team have left been replaced and left again. them splitting the development team into two has hardly seen any benefit to either game either. I want this game to succeed but I feel if it does and overtakes H1Z1 in a big way daybreak as a studio could be done for.

Its true, the alpha they had a custom engine too and it was shit but UE4 is much better and the performance, while not great, much better than it used to be. The issue seems to be when the game loads 1500 individual rooms with loot in big towns, so I bet there a lot for them to work on there.

I gave up on SOE after I felt ripped off by them with their constant high promise and nothing to show for it over a lot of time + people I liked always ended up leaving.

That said, I hope this game strikes gold, sure looks like it right now as those I know whos playing absolutely love it and cant wait for custom servers, mod support and all that which is coming.

Lirik and Shorty played some amazing games yesterday. They got really into it and coordinated really well. They ended up winning 4/5 games!

I recommend watching the VOD on Twitch to anyone who's interested/on the fence. Besides being entertaining to watch, it shows how tense and tactical this game can be and how important it is to coordinate attacks.
VOD link (second half is duo's with Shorty): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128422898

I was playing h1z1 day 1 before the game split into 2. Had TONS of fun with GAF grouping up and building up the GAF fortress. I remember back at launch it was hard af to get any kind of gun and/or a working vehicle. You were envied if you had a gun and a couple bullets lol. The game is a lot different now but it's still janky. Definitely gonna grab this game and give it a go. When did h1z1 get so big though. I just looked at stats and it's 101k peak today! Not even just a couple months ago it was usually right around ~40k peak at best. BTW, anyone gonna make an OT for early access next week?

Vipu

Banned
Yet again 1 great MMO killed in just 2 weeks after BETA launch by shitty cashshop. Revelation online.
Im so mad that every great game gets destroyed because of money.

Hoping all the best still for this game so I have something to play.

Yet again 1 great MMO killed in just 2 weeks after BETA launch by shitty cashshop. Revelation online.
Im so mad that every great game gets destroyed because of money.

Hoping all the best still for this game so I have something to play.

You think this game won't have cash shop or crates?

Nivert

You think this game won't have cash shop or crates?

I thought he meant some p2w stuff but I haven't paid attention to that game at all.

There's crates in Battlegrounds they're modelling them after CSGO. They hope the crates will keep them afloat to pay for servers and all future updates.

Vipu

Banned
I thought he meant some p2w stuff but I haven't paid attention to that game at all.

There's crates in Battlegrounds they're modelling them after CSGO. They hope the crates will keep them afloat to pay for servers and all future updates.

Yeah I forgot to add that its p2w stuff, HEAVY P2W.

Tovarisc

No, H1Z1 just has me spoiled with action, despite how broken it is. This game feels like Arma in terms of engaging people.

That is by the design. H1Z1 is more action packed and more arcady twitch shooter experience where BG is intentionally build to be slower and more tactical.

Top Bottom