• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayturtles' April O'Neil (Megan Fox) set pics. She's a TV reporter again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmnt-image-2.jpg

The Turtles' van.

This moving is paying homage to the 80's cartoon, through and through.

:-|

MIchael Bay'd

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They're not really saying that. They're just playing to an audience that will enjoy the nostalgia and an audience who will enjoy the funny.

Nostalgia-ing is crap though, especially when it's based on something that gave erroneous ideas.

Amalthea

Banned
Don't worry, we won't see much of the van other than driving trough explosions and close-ups of the car manufacturer's logo. And the pepsi cans on the tray.

CTLance

I have not followed this movie beyond the initial announcement...

I think I lost it for a minute or two at the Turtle suits. I mean, COME ON. Looks absofriggenlutely ridiculous. I feel like the two ping pong balls on top are there just for humiliation.

And then I noticed that they added a bunch of boxes to the suit. The one with the shell that could easily house all of the electronics the mocap guys could ever need. but no, they're much better outside where they hide the pattern. I also can't help but notice the missing pattern in the groin area.

By now I'm almost convinced this "movie" is just a very elaborate troll on those poor fuckers in the suits.

Actors really have a tough job. I'd be breaking down in hysterics every five minutes, never mind being unable to act worth a damn in these circumstances. It's just all so ridiculous.

I am sure I am gonna rag on this movie for quite a bit, but the turtle van ain't that bad.

You know it was designed to be a flashy toy for kids which I am sure will come with a bunch of bells and whistles. I am a bit surprised that a company logo isn't still plastered on the van.

Boss Doggie

And it still includes a ton of great homages while doing its own thing.

Homages not just limited to the 80's even, all while being a beast of its own.

Funny thing, TMNT2k3 has the van too but it looked less... turtle-y.

Honestly just watch the first TMNT film for the best Turtle goodness.

Shaneus

Homages not just limited to the 80's even, all while being a beast of its own.

Funny thing, TMNT2k3 has the van too but it looked less... turtle-y.

So much this. I watched it only recently and it does my head in just how well balanced it is (not to mention how well it's held up, even as a 32yo watching it). Cheesy but not OTT dialogue, slight nods but not overt references to the cartoon ("cowabunga" etc.), no shitty, out-of-place special effects and a script that doesn't treat it's audience like five-year-olds. That was one of the best things I took away from it (I think I was 12 at the time), was that it was a kids movie, but it didn't pander to a specific age group like it was. I have a feeling this movie will fail to do all those things.

Boss Doggie

So much this. I watched it only recently and it does my head in just how well balanced it is (not to mention how well it's held up, even as a 32yo watching it). Cheesy but not OTT dialogue, slight nods but not overt references to the cartoon ("cowabunga" etc.), no shitty, out-of-place special effects and a script that doesn't treat it's audience like five-year-olds. That was one of the best things I took away from it (I think I was 12 at the time), was that it was a kids movie, but it didn't pander to a specific age group like it was. I have a feeling this movie will fail to do all those things.

Yeah it mixes a lot of the cartoon and comic very well without being too pandering to a specific side. It also manages to tell its own story despite having homages.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

People keep saying they wanted a dark, gritty movie version of the comics... We already got it and its still one of the best comic to film adaptions ever made.

I'm all for an adaption of the less serious cartoon.

Boss Doggie

People keep saying they wanted a dark, gritty movie version of the comics... We already got it and its still one of the best comic to film adaptions ever made.

I'm all for an adaption of the less serious cartoon.

But it's not gritty. It's well balanced.

And even if you consider that "gritty", the rest of the movies pretty much match up the corniness and cartoonish feel of the 80's.

Shaneus

Yeah it mixes a lot of the cartoon and comic very well without being too pandering to a specific side. It also manages to tell its own story despite having homages.
About the only thing I struggled with as a kid was Raph considered as the leader but that was (and kinda still is) because I'd only ever known the specifics of the cartoon, whilst all I knew of the comics was that they were dark and gritty, not who played what role in the group.

And even if you consider that "gritty", the rest of the movies pretty much match up the corniness and cartoonish feel of the 80's.
That's why I never got into the sequels. I remember (even as a kid) being disappointed with SotO when it was in cinemas, it was just too goofy and cartoony. Never got around to seeing the third one.

Ruze789

Yes, this! I've watched it probably 6 times in the last 5 or 6 months, and I never tire of it. It's got some magic that I don't feel any Turtles iteration since has captured. This movie's also how my wife and I introduced our 3 year old daughter to the turtles, and it holds her attention more than any of the animated shows do.

ElRenoRaven

About the only thing I struggled with as a kid was Raph considered as the leader but that was (and kinda still is) because I'd only ever known the specifics of the cartoon, whilst all I knew of the comics was that they were dark and gritty, not who played what role in the group.

That's why I never got into the sequels. I remember (even as a kid) being disappointed with SotO when it was in cinemas, it was just too goofy and cartoony. Never got around to seeing the third one.

I actually really loved the 2nd. I think both the first and second did great jobs. Yes they were totally different in feel but the 2nd worked well with the story it had. The story was a lot goofier and I think it couldn't have pulled the serious tone the first had off with that story. The 3rd was actually ok. The worst part of it is that they changed the turtles and Splinter's animatronics and looks and they are beyond awful. They are so low quality. I'm talking old chuckie cheese or showbiz animatronic quality. I could have dealt with that too if they hadn't totally destroyed the looks of the turtles and splinter too.

Boss Doggie

Best turtle goodness is the new TV show, by far.

It's really good and trumps the 80's show, but personally it doesn't hold a candle to pre-season 5 2k3. And well the first movie.

I keep hearing good things about the new show. Time to watch it.

It is, barring some few episodes it's really enjoyable. And Splinter's weird look.

DMczaf

I think we have gotten to the point where the original 1990 TMNT movie is now underrated. Never gets a mention when "best comic book movies ever!" threads or lists pop up.

Platy

I think we have gotten to the point where the original 1990 TMNT movie is now underrated. Never gets a mention when "best comic book movies ever!" threads or lists pop up.

Because it enters the place that MiB has of nobody remembering it is based on a comic book =P

Boss Doggie

Well it was made during the time where TMNT wasn't known for it's cb origins.

I definitely agree. It doesn't typically even get considered a comic book movie, as the general public only know it the series from the cartoons. As a adaptation from the comic, ti does a great job (albeit changing some of the story telling). Some of the scenes in the movie are directly taken from panels in the comic. It's my favorite movie of all time, and I honestly can't imagine how they could possibly do a better turtles movie. I'm still amazed at how well the suits look in the movie and how well the actors move in them.

This Bay-Turtles sounds like it'll be somewhat better than we had predicted perhaps. That script that was leaked awhile back doesn't seem to be the route its heading. I still can't imagine that it will be good.

Chuckie

What is this? Is it from one of those super creepy Japanese comics (like the people holes or whatever)? And then the live action frame... is that a movie based off the same thing?

Yes, yes and yes.

Yes it's from a super freaky Japanese comic
Yes it's from Junji Ito, who also wrote that story about the holes (The Enigma Of Amigara)
Yes they made a movie of Spiral (Uzumaki)

Tizoc

Glad to see love for the 1st TMNT movie =)
The reference to the type of Bat Casey used was pretty interesting too.

Shaneus

Glad to see love for the 1st TMNT movie =)
The reference to the type of Bat Casey used was pretty interesting too.
A Jose Canseco bat? Tell me, you didn't pay money for this...
(I love the music in that scene, too. Really plays up the silliness of the whole exchange)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Because it enters the place that MiB has of nobody remembering it is based on a comic book =P

Well it was made during the time where TMNT wasn't known for it's cb origins.
If you go back and read Ebert's reviews of the Turtle flicks, he mentions over and over again that they are based on a videogame :p

Shaneus

My Big Fat Greek Wedding I believe topped it.
That sounds about right. A strangely long time for such a record to be kept, IMO. Possibly more surprising than the fact that it wasn't a film backed by a big studio.

If you go back and read Ebert's reviews of the Turtle flicks, he mentions over and over again that they are based on a videogame :p
Now, that's something I would've loved to see... perhaps an animated movie-length episode based on the original arcade game.

Man, the TMNT may have been milked for merchandising etc. but the earliest stuff was of surprising quality, now I think about it.

Since seeing the thread this morning, I haven't been able to get this out of my head.

On another note, it's my eldest nephew's fifth birthday today. How long until I can show him the first cartoon series and (more importantly) the first movie?

Raxus

Yeah let's just walk around with Sais in your boots next to the world's fattest Invisible Man. Sigh, I hate this movie.

Dude. It is TMNT. You gotta give it SOME slack.

I am sure Michael Bay will find some way to fuck this up but the screenshots aren't that bad so far.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
On another note, it's my eldest nephew's fifth birthday today. How long until I can show him the first cartoon series and (more importantly) the first movie?
Well, I saw the movie in theaters when I was about five or six :p Loved it then.... And everyone I knew saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom