• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best snow music in games

Durden77

These are the perfect "darker" snow themes and more accurate when your stuck inside your house with no electricity.

Donkey Kong Country- Northern Hemisphere

Always adored this one. After shooting out of that barrel in the first snow stage and the snow really picks up, it was always timed perfectly with 1:13 for me. The best.

Other than that, Phendrana Drifts and Freezeezy Peak.

While it never really "snowed" in World of Warcraft, this music that played in the dwarven snowy areas is so damn nostalgic for me. Circa 2004.

EDIT: Now that someone mentioned it, definitely Noveria from Mass Effect.

For me it'll always be this:

ob_39009c_dezori.jpg

Phantasy Star (SMS) - Dezoris

I see "Diamond Dust" has been posted, and yet "Diamond Dust" hasn't been. I mean, I love the Genesis "Diamond Dust", don't get me wrong, but when I want something that's more of a warm, fuzzy, Christmasy angle, Saturn "Diamond Dust" is better.

And as long as I'm talking Saturn music, Episode 5 of Panzer Dragoon Zwei has some pretty decent stuff, as well as Astal's "Glacial Rift" and "Crystal Palace".

And for something a little more downbeat-sounding for the weather (and related to my avatar), "Battle Glacier 2" from Freedom Planet has a really nice piano.

batfax

Daggerfall's got some good snow themes. Helps that the game starts in the dead of winter, so you'll be seeing a lot of the stuff until things warm up (or you head over to Hammerfell.)

Snowing
Over Snow

I was really disappointed when I heard that this stuff wasn't in ESO.

NyinCanada

Neo Member
Don't know how many people played it but my vote goes to Scott pilgrim vs the world: the game's first level theme.

Another Winter by Anamanaguchi

A really catchy and appropriate song to start with on the snowy streets of Toronto.
Also the game is a really good beat 'em up, worth checking out if you haven't.

All these DKC series and In a Snow Bound Land mentions yet I think we're still missing my fave.
Frosty Fruits from Tropical Freeze.

And because creating Viva Pinata OST awareness is my current thing, Snowy Blankets wooooo!

A lot of good ones have already been mentioned. I'd like to add Harvest moon: Friends of Mineral Town's winter theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToyPGuMtUEg

It's kind of somber but sort of fits the mood of the game.
Most of the music from FoMT was adapted from PS1's Back to Nature so there's also this version of the same winter theme.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Blackmoor Mountains

Not only an amazing snow song, but just a beautiful, dynamic, and captivating track all together.
I feel comforatble saying this is the best piece of music is Dust's soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger music always felt like it was made to be listened to on the dawn after a harsh blizzard.

Yearnings of the Wind
At the End of Time
Singing Mountain

Even though I feel this is cheating some Orchestrated versions emit a more snowy/winter vibe than the originals.
Epoch - Wings of Time Orchestrated Version
Yearnings of the Wind Orchestrated Version
Singing Mountain Orchestrated Version
Funny you should mention a snowy version of Yearnings of the Wind/Wind Scene, Square did actually tackle that themselves.

Also those links to Blake Robertson's stuff reminded me that his version of the Twinklies theme from Banjo-Kazooie was great,alas I can't find it on youtube so the original theme will do.

It sounds nice (though it shares too many similarities with the other themes in the game for my tastes).

That's on purpose. They tried to make it so that any different terrain background theme is able to blend in with the main theme. If you pay attention while playing the game you might notice how the main grasslands theme gets cut out and replaced by the theme of the respective terrain if you start getting into it.

Genesis "Diamond Dust" was done by Tatsuyuki Maeda, actually. As was both "Rusty Ruin"s, both "Volcano Valley"s, both "Gene Gadget"s, "Panic Puppet 2" and "Boss 1", while we're at it. He also collaborated on Skies of Arcadia, Astal and Dragon Force. I rather like his work.

Anyway, other than "Final Fight" (which was by Masaru Setsumaru), Jun Senoue did the rest.

That's on purpose. They tried to make it so that any different terrain background theme is able to blend in with the main theme. If you pay attention while playing the game you might notice how the main grasslands theme gets cut out and replaced by the theme of the respective terrain if you start getting into it.

I know, but personally I still like the more varied terrain themes of HoMM 2 better, especially (but not only) when listening to them outside the game.

Due to how much time I managed to spend lost out in the wilds until I finally passed out and managed to progress FF7 - Buried in the Snow will always be the first that comes to mind for me. If the soundtrack wasn't so relaxed I'd have lost my mind stuck in that place. Though Ice Cap Zone would get the win in my vote.

Top Bottom