• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "Please Stand By" (aka obvious Fallout teaser) [maybe not crossgen]

Which platform will you play Fallout 4 on?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the title reveal will look like on the teaser? I thought that hoax reveal over a year ago was slick as shit.

thepropheteer-com.gif

If you inspect the elements on Chrome, go to Sources > Styles > 3d395ab9.main.css, you'll find all the platforms (Steam, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4). So no, it's not gone.

Isn't that the aggregate style sheet? I would trust how they structure the Google Tag Manager more than the style sheet. The GTM is set up so that Google correctly captures the website for XBO and PS4 searches.

You know when Kotaku first leaked the game was set in Boston and a few other details like 2 years ago I believe they said then it was cross gen from what they heard.

Have to give them props if it turns out true. Still cant believe this may happen in 2015. Good grief

Shredderi

Really fucking hope that it's not a crossgen effort. That would automatically shut down any hopes of the game having core features and designs that take advantage of the new hardware that would not be possible on last-gen consoles. A bummer of most epic proportions that would be. They already spoke about the advantages of next-gen etc. I get that they would try to pursue the big install base of last-gen but I'm not a company who needs to keep those things in mind. As a consumer I would hope to get games that really justify the purchase of my PS4.

Tagyhag

It's no surprise, but cross-gen would be a huge disappoint me if true.

It makes sense though, would suck to scrap 2 versions that you'd been working on for a while.

Nzyme32

Crossgen is expected, as I've mentioned before, I really don't care about how they do it. It is ultimately the game that matters, and I look forward to seeing it

d00d3n

Bethesda just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about serving RPG fans expecting innovation from the numbered sequels in their favourite video game series (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like in iOS app development where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you prioritise supporting outdated platforms like PS3/360 over giving RPG fans the innovation they require, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the RPG fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Fallout 4 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Bethesda has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bethesda, publicly apologize and cancel Fallout 4 for 360/PS3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

To be fair, if you were pouring millions into development and you COULD get your game up and running on the old systems and be guaranteed extra money, why wouldn't you?

It'll be incredibly ugly and have mid-wasteland loading screens. But it'll be fine.

Skii

Not interested if it is cross gen. Will be a mess technically on last gen and will be held back on current gen.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about serving RPG fans expecting innovation from the numbered sequels in their favourite video game series (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like in iOS app development where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you prioritise supporting outdated platforms like PS3/360 over giving RPG fans the innovation they require, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the RPG fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Fallout 4 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Bethesda has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bethesda, publicly apologize and cancel Fallout 4 for 360/PS3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

1080bkulj2rd06.gif

I sure hope this is meant to be satire.

Yes.

I sure hope this is meant to be satire.

I'm not going to drop anything new, it's just a lot of people are vastly over estimating the effects of cross-gen on development of a current gen title.

I'm curious as to how much of an impact you believe it would have. I think it's reasonable to assume major cutbacks must be made to be compatible with 10 year old hardware.

To be fair, if you were pouring millions into development and you COULD get your game up and running on the old systems and be guaranteed extra money, why wouldn't you?

It'll be incredibly ugly and have mid-wasteland loading screens. But it'll be fine.

Depends on how many sales they gain vs the potential sales that are lost due to such a decision. Most other publishers and devs are moving towards current gen only. Last gen sales are declining. I doubt those sales will pick up in the next year or so...

mrndkra

I love the amount of people that can't tell this is satire anytime it's posted.

Jonm1010

Banned

We are all also assuming Bethesda is doing a shadows of mordor and working backwards for last gen.

They may very well have initiated development in last gen and have built it around those limitations and just shifted everything to current gen. Leaving a last gen designed game with next gen window dressing. Gamebryo fuckery and all.

I think that is the primary fear here.

BFIB

The only way I could see cross gen working is if there is another studio handling the 360/PS3 with completely different assets.

Or if they've been building this for a while, like GTA V with cross-gen in mind from the start, just optimized beyond insane expectations for 360/PS3.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Crossgen would just kill the potensial of a true nextgen title. I don`t want a 900p/1080p PS3/Xbox360 upgrade on my nextgen consoles.

Euron

The crossgen haters always make me laugh.
Because we don't like how those types of games are being limited in terms of size, visuals, AI, amount of dialogue, unique locations, performance, and just overall gameplay?

With Bethesda's vision it makes zero sense for the game to be cross gen. Hell, it makes zero sense for them to release it on PS3. If I were Bethesda at the very least I'd find every excuse possible to not make the game for a platform the company is notoriously bad at developing for.

The only bright side is that cross gen should basically confirm at 2015 release.

I feel like we're stretching the limit of these now.

If its anything like destiny we'll get a lot of fancy load screens and a watered down game made to fit old, I mean really old hardware.

Fury451

Banned
Cross gen? They barely had 3/New Vegas working on last gen. I'm sure even with a current gen only version it will be bugged up the backside. No Bethesda. Please no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom