• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda registers Fallout trademark for ongoing TV show

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I hope this isn't what the whole three dog thing was about, I want a damn Fallout 4, I will however be alright if they are some how related in some way as a lead up to eventual game release, lol.

Pooya

I think GoT helped Skyrim sales quite a bit, I imagine they want a similar thing for Fallout, if it's in competent hands and with decent budget Fallout can be pretty interesting as a TV series.

These guys pls

1401309-fallout_new_vegas_wallpaper_1.jpg

duckroll

Could be cool if the first season takes place entirely in a vault and the finale ends with the door opening.

Nah, it's going to be set on an island discovered by a group of survivors. The first season involves them finding a locked Vault, and the finale ends with the Vault door opening.

Mononoke

Banned
NBC's Revolution is more like Fallout than The Walking Dead (i know, lol I just used Revolution as a comparison).

But...both take place in a post-apocalyptic world, where the world is taken over by militia's and various factions (the Brotherhood, Caesars Legion). With rebel resistance. Both stories revolve around there being some sort of "fix" for the problem (Fallout - the contaminated water, Revolution - electricity). And both have some bad guy/faction that wants to stop that (for whatever reason). Both have a protagonist with a father that is a scientist, that was apart of the problem/solution (or has an answer to the solution).

I could go on and on, such as the makeshift weapons, and using older weapons like swords (since high tech stuff has been scavenged and taken over by the militias).

But yeah, Revolution is ass. Just saying, Walking Dead has nothing in common. And if anything, Revolution jacked Fallout's swag.

"This week on Storage Wars DC, one of Dave's YUUUUUUPs gets overheard by a nearby gang of Raiders, leaving the entire group fleeing for their lives."

Nah, it's going to be set on an island discovered by a group of survivors. The first season involves them finding a locked Vault, and the finale ends with the Vault door opening.

And then the next season, they'll discover that there was a dude hanging out in the Vault the whole time, and he's gone a little batty.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Why... Just let the franchise die Bethesda.

Well good for Bethesda fans.

I know some of the old fans hate F3, but this is kinda unfair,the thing is Bethesda saved and resurrected the IP and made it more popular than ever, and they didn't say "fuck you" to the old fans they actually know that they fucked up with the old fans and mythos in Fallout 3 so they hired Obsidian to do the IP its justice with New Vegas.

Hindle

Banned
Fallout is the only video game IP that could make a tv series IMO. The setting is so unique and all the different factions as well. It depends who handles it though, let's be honest it's likely to be shit.

Sargerus

Banned
Fallout is the only video game IP that could make a tv series IMO. The setting is so unique and all the different factions as well. It depends who handles it though, let's be honest it's likely to be shit.

I still think an Elder Scrolls tv series made by HBO would be way more viable

I'd make it flashback heavy, like Lost

Main narrative takes place with 8 or so main characters in the wilderness as they adapt to post-Vault life, one older character

Flashbacks to Vault-life and revealing the mystery of why they left. Old character's flashbacks pertain to his knowledge of the nuclear war, which occured in his childhood

Mononoke

Banned
I still think an Elder Scrolls tv series made by HBO would be way more viable

I actually think something like GOT is a bit of a miracle on TV. The writing is so good, that it works. But honestly, that kind of genre is often heady (in plot) and weighty (in production costs) - that I don't see many shows in the same vein as GOT working.

Again, if it wasn't for the writing being so great, and a company like HBO with it's backing, I feel like this kind of show would never work.

Whereas for some reason, people are able to get into Post-Apocalyptic stuff a lot easier. Plot is more simplistic too.

RPGCrazied

I wish. But something like this would need a pretty big budget, in order for it to not look cheesy. Can't look like the Walking Dead, that show doesn't look apocalyptic enough, I love the show though.

JDSN

Banned
I wonder if Bethesda should have any creative control of the show, F3 was a failure in that matter, but it did a great job with world building, meanwhile in hands of some shitty show runner like Lindelof it could take 3 seasons just to know what happened on the Great War, when that isnt even the point of the series.

I know some of the old fans hate F3, but this is kinda unfair,the thing is Bethesda saved and resurrected the IP and made it more popular than ever, and they didn't say "fuck you" to the old fans they actually know that they fucked up with the old fans and mythos in Fallout 3 so they hired Obsidian to do the IP its justice with New Vegas.

And they fucked Obsidian in the ass, and Obsidian essentially ended that relationship, New Vegas was considerably better than F3 in terms of storyline and script, and we are gonna to go back to the mediocrity that is Bethesda writing for F4.

Seems to lend itself nicely to a series. Traveling around from one major area to another, each with its own little story arc.

And the lore is fairly flexible enough they could kind of set it anywhere at any time and make it work.

Proxy

They released Fallout 3, that's a pretty big "fuck you" to old Fallout fans. At any rate I'm just venting my frustration at the further dilution of a beloved franchise. I recognize that, barring them running it into the ground, the IP is too popular now for it to be abandon.

Top Bottom