• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past"

I have another problem: With my Wii U collection I find I go out of my way to avoid non exclusive titles as I fear poor network and DLC support. With so many games online with DLC I have to roll with PS3 versions if I can.

Not to mention the 32GB limit unless you upgrade with an external HD.

Bethesda is fishing. They want in on Nintendo but Nintendo doesn't really give a shit.

I hadn't considered this possibility, but it is fairly plausible. After all, Nintendo is in such a strong position currently where they clearly don't need third party support for the Wii U.

kinggroin

Banned
I hadn't considered this possibility, but it is fairly plausible. After all, Nintendo is in such a strong position currently where they clearly don't need third party support for the Wii U.

*pats back

It only took you, HOW long to realize this?

This will be my third ban based on another misunderstanding

I don't know if you noticed, but we just passed a generation where Nintendo made probably their greatest profits yet. And it somehow happened without Skyrim, with Bully instead of GTA, with all of EA's sports games and none of their gaming IP, with no Orange box, and somehow without Dead Island. Nintendo's success is always predicated on what they bring to their consoles, not what 3rd parties do.

Bethesda rubbing their forefinger and thumb together, offering to hold their nose and develop something for a platform they seem to hold in contempt isn't an appealing prospect for anyone. I've seen what Bethesda call finished projects - now imagine something half assed.

i dont know if you noticed..but in the long run this whole third party thing its gonna bite them in the ass very hard,actual wiiu situation its just the beginning

You joke, but would it be really so surprising to find that's what Nintendo actually believes? Hasn't Iwata made statements to the effect that the Wii U is right on the cusp of taking off and any publishers that don't get on board now are going to regret it in the future? It could just be marketing bluster, but I really wouldn't be surprised it's a sincerely-held belief within Nintendo that even now, publishers need them a lot more than they need publishers.

Darryl

Banned
That's a pretty warped view.

It isn't unheard of for people or companies who feel they have weight to throw that weight around while they have it. Bethesda is in a strong position right now. Even if they are completely honest and convinced the Wii U will not take off and there is no money there, making comments like this could put them in a great bargaining position for the future if they think there will be a market for them there one day. There's just really no reason not to be leveraging your current status for the long term. That way the next platform project Nintendo has coming along - be it some new handheld, console, or hybrid - Bethesda will be up on the list of people to cater to.

Believe it or not, people who do business think like this. They think in thoughts like this.

Exile20

Iwata seems to think that third parties will be convinced when (if???) WiiU sales pick up. But apparently he missed the memo that this didn't work during the Wii era. Unless of course he's referring to the other kind of third party support (casual, shovelware, niche) and not the "AAA" kind. Ultimately Nintendo just likes to play on their terms and Sony and MS are a lot more flexible with how they deal and approach third party relations. I think the strength of Nintendo's first party line is both a blessing and curse because it makes them insular.

Well the Wii was different, the difference between the Wii and PS3/X360 was huge with the resolution and power. The online was also so far behind and also the nunchuck and wii mote had less buttons and one analog stick.

The Wii U is a lot closer in power and features. Unless your game can not be done at all because of the power of the console(if we get games like Mario Kart and X like quality, I am happy), I see no reason not to put their game on it(maybe install base?).

It isn't unheard of for people or companies who feel they have weight to throw that weight around while they have it. Bethesda is in a strong position right now. Even if they are completely honest and convinced the Wii U will not take off and there is no money there, making comments like this could put them in a great bargaining position for the future if they think there will be a market for them there one day. There's just really no reason not to be leveraging your current status for the long term. That way the next platform project Nintendo has coming along - be it some new handheld, console, or hybrid - Bethesda will be up on the list of people to cater to.

Believe it or not, people who do business think like this. They think in thoughts like this.

Or -- and perhaps I just took my crazy pills this morning instead of the vitamin I intended to take -- they're just giving an honest answer to a question they were asked. The original post that started this statement suggested that Bethesda probably does in fact want to work with Nintendo, only that Nintendo is uninterested in their support or perhaps unwilling to meet their demands. This narrative disingenuously puts Nintendo into a position of strength, or at the very least paints them as a principled company that won't be bullied.

The reality of the situation can be explained far more simply. The Wii U isn't selling, and third party software isn't selling on it. There's no reason to assume that an honest answer in response to a question is part of some overarching power play.

Bethesda is so wrong on this one.

The time hasn't passed at all... rather... no one was ever going to be convinced to develop for it.

fabprems

The reality of the situation can be explained far more simply. The Wii U isn't selling, and third party software isn't selling on it. There's no reason to assume that an honest answer in response to a question is part of some overarching power play.

It's not only that, when the Wii was selling, there was no Bethesda game on it. They don't seems to be interested in the Nintendo market, but journalists can't help to ask them about Nintendo...

Are we seriously going to have to same thread with Bethesda every other week ??

Darryl

Banned
Or -- and perhaps I just took my crazy pills this morning instead of the vitamin I intended to take -- they're just giving an honest answer to a question they were asked. The original post that started this statement suggested that Bethesda probably does in fact want to work with Nintendo, only that Nintendo is uninterested in their support or perhaps unwilling to meet their demands. This narrative disingenuously puts Nintendo into a position of strength, or at the very least paints them as a principled company that won't be bullied.

I wasn't assuming that the answer they were giving was disingenuous at all. They said in the full response to the OP that they wanted what Sony and Microsoft was giving them. Getting involved in the design process. They want in early and they want assistance. This is because they're Bethesda and they make big games that people want. They feel in their position that they should be catered to, as they might be.

The response wasn't about the Wii U selling or even software sales.

Trike

Power PC is a bit of a brick wall though. IBM hasn't really bothered to keep it contemporized for the consumer markets. Making a system more powerful while on that architecture likely wouldn't fly.

Part of the reason behind the cost of the WiiU, aside from the pad, is the tech involved in the low wattage, small form factor. A bigger console could contain more power at the same cost.

Nobody asked for smaller and more energy efficient. It was something they were able to work into the Wii.

Not make a tiny console again?

See, this is an actual argument, not some incoherent ramblings of a saltlick.

I know with the Wii the small size was something they aimed for from the beginning or something like that. They said they wanted it to be the size of three or four dvd cases side by side. Not sure why. But the Wii U is actually pretty big. Maybe not in comparison to whatever size the ps4 or xbox one will be, but it is kinda long. So if they did expand the console size into something roughly the size of a PS4/XB1, how much more powerful could they really make it without driving up the cost signifcantly? I'm not sure if it would be enough to be comparable to the PS4/XB1, though I admit the cost of the hardware inside is not something I am familar with.

Dysun

This Holiday will be very interesting for 3rd party games on the Wii U. Ubisoft already said they are keeping a close eye on Splinter Cell and the Wii U version has already fell off the UK charts. Could be far worse next year

This Holiday will be very interesting for 3rd party games on the Wii U. Ubisoft already said they are keeping a close eye on Splinter Cell and the Wii U version has already fell off the UK charts. Could be far worse next year

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if CoD on the WiiU sells more than CoD on the Xbone this christmas.

Glass Rebel

Watch_Dogs will probably be the most important third-party Wii U game this holiday when it comes to future support.

jmls1121

Banned
i dont know if you noticed..but in the long run this whole third party thing its gonna bite them in the ass very hard,actual wiiu situation its just the beginning

Nintendo consoles and handhelds sink or swim based on exclusives and third-party games trailing in the first-party's wake (i.e. Zumba Fitness as a reaction to Wii Fit)

Look at sales for Madden on the Wii, for example. No one was buying that there.

The only western-published AAA game that sold well on the Wii was COD, and that's because nothing stops that train.

The only western-published AAA game that sold well on the Wii was COD, and that's because nothing stops that train.

And Guitar Hero. And Rock Band. and Just Dance. And Epic Mickey. And Red Steel. And Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Of course, most AAA titles last gen didn't even get a Wii release, which skews things.

Top Bottom