• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

Mine works fine, only the L3 is a bit too clicky. I find myself crouching often in Zelda. Having L3 to crouch is a bad idea anyway.

Well that explains that. Sometimes I swear I'm pressing the correct axis and I'm switching shields for no reason. Not my imagination then. Considering how fucking shit Nintendo support is I'll probably take this up with amazon.

Is this Nintendo's worst launch for hardware QA? Geez, they used to be known for putting out solid hardware (that could often take a beating). The 3DS was bad too. What's happening at Nintendo? I can't wait to test this tomorrow and find out I suffer and finding a replacement will be near impossible. 😐

jrcbandit

I returned my Pro controller because it had a horrible D-pad, the down was super noisy and harder to press than any other direction. No replacement Pro Controllers were in stock and I'm nearly done with Zelda on the Joycons, so I'm not going to bother with the Pro Controller again ;p. Would be nice if a Joycon was relased with a real Dpad because I doubt I'll ever use the Switch in local 2 person multiplayer with single joycons.

komplanen

I sometimes encounter this issue as well, though it's not more than a couple of times per session. It's a clear issue to be concerned for because this has never before happened to me on any other console.

Baleoce

i dont even know why people need this pro controller. the joycons work great

I'm assuming you've never played a game that people traditionally prefer to play with a d-pad for accuracy, like street fighter. You don't want to be constantly doing motion inputs on what are essentially face buttons. Also quite a number of people take issue with the ergonomics of the right joy con, mainly in that the analogue stick and face buttons are vertically aligned. To some people this is awkward to use as your thumb hovers over the stick as not to accidentally hit it. If you think about it, regardless of stick placement, offset vertical alignment has been the standard for quite a few generations now, and with good reason. So yes, there are both practical and ergonomic reasons for choosing to purchase a pro controller. And people should feel well within their rights to speak up if parts of it aren't working as intended.

entremet

Not saying this is not an issue but social media really makes things sound worse and more widespread than they are.

I wonder how PS1 disc drive issues were around during this time lol.

No issues here and I've been using the pro controller almost exclusively.

If you have an issue, Nintendo will hook you up. The customer service is excellent.

Fuck when did Nintendo forget how to build a proper controller -_-

They didn't. This isn't some widespread issue, this is the first I've seen of it. I'm sure even the Wii U Pro Controller had some duds and that thing is amazing. This always happen at launch, for some reason people are really amping up the loud-speaker this time around. Like I said above, Nintendo will take care of you.

VariantX

Not saying this is not an issue but social media really makes things sound worse and more widespread than they are.

I wonder how PS1 disc drive issues were around during this time lol.

True. I really couldn't tell how widespread the hair dryer PS4 and, busted R2's, peeling DS4 analog issues were because its easy to find alot of people with said issues on social media. It's not like anyone with no problems will come and post up vids and tweet about properly working hardware.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
Just chiming in because we haven't had issues with our pro controllers. It's a shame that some people are having problems with a few things, but from what I've been reading, it looks like Nintendo will take care of any issues for faulty stuff.

Just call them up, explain the situation, and send it in. It's a shame yes, but this is what happens to us early adopters, some of us will get a gremlin here or there.

On a more positive note, how many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of us have not had any issues? I don't comment on the fact that our 2 Switch consoles and peripherals all have worked flawlessly, mainly because I'm too busy playing and having a great experience.

This has happened to me frequently in Zelda. Surprised to see so many here say it's never happened to them because I've seen people mention it in many other places so I just figured it happened to everyone. For me, if I press right but my finger is more on the top edge of the right direction rather than at the right edge, it will pretty much always register as up.

This has happened to me a couple of times on Zelda, but I thought I just pressed the wrong button. I can't say it has happened often, just those two or three times, but it did happen.

I expect better from a $70 controller.

Robin64

Is the Joy-Con split d-pad that bad? I had read recent impressions that it was pretty solid.

I played and completed Shovel Knight and Blaster Master 0 with it. I almost instantly forgot it wasn't a traditional d-pad when I started, the buttons are so small and close together that you just move your thumb the same as a normal d-pad.

DiGiKerot

Is the Joy-Con split d-pad that bad? I had read recent impressions that it was pretty solid.

It's not a split d-pad, it's four independant buttons. Even on the PlayStation 1/2/3 controllers, underneath the casing it was one solid disk. This isn't the case in the joy-con because it has to double-up as the main action buttons for multiplayer games, and it's a very different feeling as a result. It's probably not unusable, but at this point, it'd be undoing decades of muscle memory to adapt to.

Owensboro

Whoah, I had no idea this was happening. I'm glad my controller hasn't had any problems yet.

Nah, it's totally serviceable. I think people are just a little too stubborn to learn new inputs. It's been perfectly fine for Shovel Knight on-the-go for me. Took around 20 minutes to get used to it and I haven't had a missed input since. I'm really curious to try it out with SF2 as I know that's the one situation where it's probably going to be at it's worst. I'm curious if it's still ok for a casual player (I've never been a combo master at fighting games in the first place).

NimbusD

Yeah mine registers a right press as up pretty often. I guess I haven't been that annoyed by it cuz I've only been playing Zelda, but really now that I think about it this is going to make any game that uses the dpad as default unplayable. Really unacceptable for a fucking 70 dollar controller.

Oh man, how the hell do I initiate a return or exchange for Amazon Japan?

Mihos

Gold Member
My pro as been fine, which is good because I would rather use an intellivision controller than the joy-cons.

i dont even know why people need this pro controller. the joycons work great

Sticks are too loose and they are way too short, small buttons, awkward triggers,right analog stick located directly under buttons making it uncomfortable, no d pad. I can go on.

I don't think the joycons are bad, they are the best controls on a portable ever and theres not much I would change about it, but for playing on the big screen the extra £60 I invested was worth every penny. After just half an hour my hands would be aching from using the joycon, and I don't even have big hands so people with big hands are probably finding it even worse than me.

I've had a similar issue with my d pad too though (I think at least) while changing weapons on Zelda and it kept trying to swap shieka powers, only happened like twice in 60+ hours so I just put it down to me pressing the wrong button.

Overtech

Neo Member
Happened to me last night in Zelda. Was trying to stealth kill a sleeping moblin and I was creeping up. I wanted to change weapons, so I hit right, then all of a sudden I whistle for my horse, wake up the moblin, and had to fight him like normal. It was odd, but I shrugged it off. Guess it's a real thing.

Skyr

Hm i just ordered one to use it as an additional pc controller (got ds4 and elite already)
I hope it will be fine. Will certainly test the dpad now when it arrives and report back.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This has happened a few times on my Pro controller and I thought I was going crazy. I'd still choose the Pro controller over the Joycons for any gameplay other than handheld though.

PSFan

It's not a split d-pad, it's four independant buttons. Even on the PlayStation 1/2/3 controllers, underneath the casing it was one solid disk. This isn't the case in the joy-con because it has to double-up as the main action buttons for multiplayer games, and it's a very different feeling as a result. It's probably not unusable, but at this point, it'd be undoing decades of muscle memory to adapt to.

Wrong. All Dpads are basically four independant buttons underneath. Look at the board inside of the DS4:

ps4-dualshock-4-controller-ribbon-circuit-board-.jpg

It's four separate points just like the button layout on the right. An Atari 2600 joystick looks like that too when you open it up. The Dpad is nothing more than that joystick without the stick.

Most of the time, no. However, even though I have giant hands with big thumbs, I still struggle with diagonals on it. When playing Blaster Master Zero, any time I go into the overhead dungeon view, I use the analog stick if I'm playing in handheld mode. I won't want to play VC games with it if they need 8-way directional movement.

mindatlarge

I've owned two Pro controllers since launch, sharing time between the two during charges and I've experienced zero issues with the D-Pad.

Yeah I've definitely had issues with mine. Go to change weapon in Zelda (right) and the runes appear (up).

It's a minor thing now but it'll be a dealbreaker in a platformer.

DiGiKerot

Wrong. All Dpads are basically four independant buttons underneath. Look at the board inside of the DS4:

ps4-dualshock-4-controller-ribbon-circuit-board-.jpg

It's four separate points just like the button layout on the right. An Atari 2600 joystick looks like that too when you open it up. The Dpad is nothing more than that joystick without the stick.

Apologies if I wasn't being clear, but that's not what I meant. The thing actually sitting above the rubber above those contact points on most these controllers (one of those NeoGeo pads aside) is a solid piece of rocking plastic that presses down as you rock it, as opposed to four completely separate plastic buttons you push down on. I won't argue that the actual activation method is identical between the two of them, but the actual feel in use is very different.

I noticed this on my pro controller when I was playing Zelda a couple weeks ago. I went to change my bow and ended up changing my rune. Was really weird, but thought I just needed to break in the dpad more. Haven't had the issue since, so I wonder if its a matter of breaking down the pad, or there's varying degrees of the issue.

Arttemis

Well, this sounds like intermittent 360-tier d-pad issues. Since it's not universal, and Nintendo will replace them, the situation is already better.

Too bad stock is impossible to find, because I can't play Zelda with my joycons without leaning forward on my couch and sticking my arms out to get better signal. The left and right joycons stop working, otherwise.

DiGiKerot

What I actually want is a L Joy-con with the NeoGeo Pockets microswitched micro-stick. I'd even take it in place of the analogue stick as an optional controller.

That's probably super wishful thinking, though.

Decider

The Famicom recall 1) applied to no one outside of Japan, and 2) was taken care of rather quickly.

1 doesn't matter (name gave it away, huh?) and 2 just proves the point that even one of Nintendo's most successful consoles began with a hardware-related misstep.

phanphare

Banned
weird, I've had mine since launch and haven't had any issues

been using that dpad for blaster master zero and it's been great

komorebi

Oh man, how the hell do I initiate a return or exchange for Amazon Japan?

Mine does it too and I started by asking myself this exact question...

Edit: on further testing in the menu and button test screen I don't see anything amiss. When it presses 'up' it's due to me hitting it at wonky angle, which explains why I've only seen it in Zelda when trying to quickly switch arrows in the middle of a fight.

Top Bottom