• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kssio_Aug

What the hell does "edgy" even mean anymore? There's swearing and violence in the trailer, but it's incredibly lighthearted overall, and I don't think you could accuse Ancel of being anything close to nihilistic.

Edgy nowadays is basically a term for "I don't like it".

UrbanRats

no idea, but Guillemot kept repeating that this was something really important for Ancel
I'm assuming it'll be based around various alphas and early access type stuff.

Kind of odd, I'm not sure I love design by committee, even if fans are the ones in it.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Its funny that the official press release says its a "spiritual successor" to Beyond Good and Evil. Its obviously a complete reboot of the series. Its hard to judge without seeing gameplay, but the first was decent, so it has potential.

Lime

Every suggestion for the first several months probably will be (and actually should be maybe), get Jade and Pey'j in this damn game even if it means changing the time period unless there's really going to be some deep story with her mom and dad despite the potential multiplayer.

Especially since even if this were to do well it'll be another 30 years before there's anymore BG&E even if this game comes out before they get bought by Vivendi.

I don't mind new characters, but I can understand why people would want closure after the cliffhanger ending of BGE1. Perhaps provide closure via a new perspective from new characters?

Maybe there'll be time travel or something with this game. But the characters on the website and in the video were really cool and I'd rather have new stuff than the same characters who already had their arcs (somewhat) finished last game.

This looks more like R-rated Guardians of the Galaxy than BG&E2 but who am I to say what the franchise becomes? Ancel is involved so I'll put my faith in him.

boingball

While it is an awesome trailer it has nothing to do with the game (since no game play).

And I am not sure what to make of that online seamless world. This is not an IP to challenge Destiny. It will sell at best 2 million copies, probably much less.

I just want a good single player experience with a good story.

Some info from Guillemot on the Youtube show:

• Collaborative with fans and people who can have an impact (something very important for Ancel)
  • It's not funding by fans, it's creative collaboration with fans and reiterate based on feedback and suggestions

Following Megaman Legends 3 model...that went well.

hrab

Started from being excited, to being puzzled, than excited again, but eventually disappointed. Seems like they are not sure what they actually want to do, hence all this space monkey program.

And the monkey swearing is just not acceptable, does not fit the charm of BGE at all, and it saddens me the most. Remembering the old trailers with Jade and Pay'J makes it even harder to bear :( Quo vadis, Michel ?

While it is an awesome trailer it has nothing to do with the game (since no game play).

And I am not sure what to make of that online seamless world. This is not an IP to challenge Destiny. It will sell at best 2 million copies, probably much less.

I just want a good single player experience with a good story.

Dark Souls is an online seamless world, AND a single player game. It's not like BGE2 is gonna be some deathmatch shooter, lol.

KORNdoggy

Honestly hated it.

Yet another CGI trailer for BG&E2 a decade after the last one...i wonder if anything is actual going to come of it this time? At least the first cgi trailer on PS3 has a style that was actually faithful to the first game. This is like some hyper real, grim dark version of the IP with swearing for the sake of swearing.

Nice cgi
Horrible style
Obnoxious chimp character

And even if i did like it, it's what? 3 years away at least? The team isnt exactly big is it? And he has to balance his time between this and WILD. Lol. I wouldnt be surprised if this is just a re-run of last time and in 10 years we still have no sequel.

My only hope at this point is that the cgi trailer isn't even remotely indicative of the game we may or may not end up getting. Also, get pey'j and jade back. They're kind of integral to the whole thong.

Gravy100

It's not that the swearing offends me, it's more that there's an art to it and this was a hamfisted (pun intended) implementation of it. Looking forward to seeing more of the game though, tonnes of potential.

NimbusD

I'm very confused about how other than story this is a bit game, but I guess I'll be excited for now.

Also lay off the fuck every other word. It really takes away from the atmosphere.

UrbanRats

Comment Created Content
Yeah, I'm skeptical, but Ancel is one of the best game designers alive in my opinion, I trust him to do good.
I also don't think BGE1 was perfect or even a masterpiece, so I'm ok with even significant changes.
As I said the new art style has a much stronger personality in my opinion.

butman

Very happy for this!
But i don't like the artstyle at all, to Far Cry-ish for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The first one is a masterpiece.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Adults in real life swear. Some swear a lot. It's not that big of a deal

Eh. It felt odd, especially when there was zero swearing in the first game.

The fact there's a lot of negativity surrounding this one aspect goes to show something was clearly off about it. Probably didn't help the only word was fuck. Not even any variety to the swearing.

House of the Dead Overkill didn't get the same flak and that was awarded the prize of most F-Bombs of the year. People can accept swearing in games, but that doesn't mean they'll happily accept it in all games.

I don't mind new characters, but I can understand why people would want closure after the cliffhanger ending of BGE1. Perhaps provide closure via a new perspective from new characters?

Maybe there'll be time travel or something with this game. But the characters on the website and in the video were really cool and I'd rather have new stuff than the same characters who already had their arcs (somewhat) finished last game.

Yeah, I really liked the new stuff that they showed in the CG trailer and new characters, combining the two would have been perfect. The shots of presumably Jade's mom for example were real good too. The trailer and world was fantastic.

I do trust Ancel since he's still leading this personally. Just that one bit hampering my full hype (along with the mysteries about online versus single-player narrative focus support). That's actually not a bad thought, a part of the game having them later in the game wouldn't be bad. That would not be a bad middle point to meet the long-time fans.

gamerMan

It's nice to know it is alive, but why not show some gameplay? Hopefully, we will get some gameplay footage at the Playstation show later today.

sn00zer

I am in the camp that BGE was just a sorta average game during the PS2 days, and never really saw what made it stand out.......but holy fucking shit this looks incredible

Blue Lou

The trailer was incredible.
DCJqWa1XcAAxKNi.jpg:orig

DCJqY_EWsAASMcD.jpg:orig

DCJqZ6dXUAgmpyY.jpg:orig

DCJqarjXcAEsE5Q.jpg:orig
Sourced from Liam Wong.

UrbanRats

I am in the camp that BGE was just a sorta average game during the PS2 days, and never really saw what made it stand out.......but holy fucking shit this looks incredible
It had a charming world and story, and some pretty fun gameplay, plus it had a comfy vibe.
The art style, I thought,was always little too bland and safe.
This is a significant step up though, I agree.

Phu

Banned

Honestly, with how the first game ended, a prequel would be able to answer a lot of questions. Where a chronological sequel would likely have Jade uncover new info on old events, a prequel can just show the events that will inevitably affect her.

It doesn't imply anything. Most prequels have a sequel number attached to them.

See also

Metal Gear Solid 3
Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
Fear Effect 2
Lufia 2
Ace Attorney 2

I stand corrected! Is this more common with games than with movies then? I legit can't think of any (and obviously I've never played any of those games or I woulda know this already) besides Paranormal Activity 2, which is technically both a prequel and a sequel since it takes place before, during, and after the events of PA1.

Top Bottom