• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phu

Banned
characters went from looking like this

Mammago.jpg

To this...see the problem. This osn't just tech imporvements. This is a huge sway into the typical stylings we see in games these days...

147562227719.png

It's honestly kinda sad that they need to pander to that sort of audience to get any sort of attention. Apparently hyper real dark and gritty with swearing is what the IP has to be in order to be greenlit. Frankly i wish it stayed dead.

The art style in the new trailer is more or less the style they showed us a decade ago. It doesn't have anything to do with 'these days'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Who said anything about typical. I just want consistency. Something faithful to the original. This is about as far from it as you can get.
It looks to me like the exact same concept, just through two different eras of gaming.

It's still a game set on a foreign planet with cities inspired by traditional architecture, hover cars, and anthropomorphic animals.

The look of the game and the way characters and scenes act more like a movie seems more 2017, that's all.

Ran rp

Mammago.jpg

To this...see the problem. This osn't just tech imporvements. This is a huge sway into the typical stylings we see in games these days...

147562227719.png

It's honestly kinda sad that they need to pander to that sort of audience to get any sort of attention. Apparently hyper real dark and gritty with swearing is what the IP has to be in order to be greenlit. Frankly i wish it stayed dead.

DEM COLORS

DAT VIBRANCY

peyj-beyond-good-and-evil-2-21779-1920x1080.jpg

I am in the camp that BGE was just a sorta average game during the PS2 days, and never really saw what made it stand out.......but holy fucking shit this looks incredible
Theme of motherhood, character development, one of the best female protagonists in this medium without needing to be "strong", variety of encounters, an exciting and unique world, emotional investment, great pacing, phenomenal soundtrack, and the best text entry system for consoles ever.

Yarbskoo

PSY・S;240371865 said:
DEM COLORS

DAT VIBRANCY

peyj-beyond-good-and-evil-2-21779-1920x1080.jpg

I thought that looked pretty ugly too, but at least it had recognizable characters.

I don't really think the CG trailer we got looked all that bad though. Just doesn't seem like what people were hoping for in second BG&E game.

Mammago.jpg

147562227719.png

Who's to say Ancel didn't want the original game look like what we have today? Did you not see the monkey and other characters showing a wide range of expressions in the CG trailer? Did you not see the unique clothing they were wearing? Did you want some half-assed cel shading to make it look like some saturday morning cartoon? Ancel is directing this. He isn't being pulled to go in this style or the other. If this style is what he believes will show off the world of BG&E in a cool and unique way then I want to see it.

gforguava

Cool trailer but, yeah, everything points to this not being what I want out of a second BG&E.

"Seamless online playground" is about the biggest red flag you could put up for me.

KORNdoggy

It looks to me like the exact same concept, just through two different eras of gaming.

It's still a game set on a foreign planet with cities inspired by traditional architecture, hover cars, and anthropomorphic animals.

The look of the game and the way characters and scenes act more like a movie seems more 2017, that's all.

So you think jade in the first game was stylistically proportioned and shaped because of tech limitations of the time, despite there being examples of realistically styled humans in other games from that time? i don't buy it. The game had style, the same way clone wars does in comparison to the live action movies. Humans shouldn't look like photo realistic humans in this world, and the animals should be way more stylised. Not look like some michael bay bebop/rocksteady rejects from his TMNT movies.

sn00zer

It had a charming world and story, and some pretty fun gameplay, plus it had a comfy vibe.
The art style, I thought,was always little too bland and safe.
This is a significant step up though, I agree.

I don't disagree with the first sentence but there were a TON of very similar games around the same time that didn't get the latched onto, Haven, Vex, Sphinx, Kya, Tak, Pitfall, Ty...still not sure what this one stand out......

But at the end of the day it was clearly a passion project which I love seeing and these are some damn good fruits of labor.

Snaku

Banned
I'm really torn.

On the one hand: no Jade, no Pey'j, no Double H, no Secundo, no orphanage, no Hillys, and no fucking closure to that goddamn cliffhanger.

On the other hand: it's finally fucking happening.

I'm also really kinda hating how much Ancel seems to want to ape No Man's Sky. I don't want No Man's Sky 2. I want Beyond Good & Evil 2. I guess me and my avatar will continue to wait for the real deal.

Adults in real life swear. Some swear a lot. It's not that big of a deal

To me it's the same reason people criticised Shadow the Hedgehog, Jak II, and DmC for being edgy due to
damn
swearing. It just feels out of place for a prequel/sequel to a game that wasn't like that.

It's not the fact they're swearing, it's the fact that it's such a different direction than the original. As an opposite example, imagine if GTAVI released, and there was no swearing in it whatsoever; that would just feel off.

The trailer was freaking great. I haven't been this excited in a while BUT..no release date....THis may vanish again for another decade. Either way, I don't want this high to ever end. Anyone willing to make me an avatar of the girl with the Afro? :D

I can't wait. I walked into GameStop right after the original came out and bought it without knowing anything about it just because Jade was holding a camera on the cover. It hasn't held up well, but it was awesome back then.

Trailer was pretty awesome. Little disappointed it's a prequel and the online talk is a little worrisome, but hey it's way too early to judge and I'm excited to see more.

Although it's too bad this feels like a 2019 - 2020 release.

If the monkey pulled out a shotgun and started killing everyone in that place and then pissed on the pig's corpse then I would be able to see eye to eye with the whole gritty or grimdark discussion.

Cake Boss

Banned
I have been slowly gaming less and less each year, this is the first gaming trailer and world that has interested me in almost a decade.

Lijik

Rabbids start saying "fukin wot m8te" and shit then that would be an argument. This feels like they tried to ride the line of grim dark and whimsy and just came up with something puzzling.

The only puzzling here is the weird equation of cursing to being grimdark

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If the monkey pulled out a shotgun and started killing everyone in that place and then pissed on the pig's corpse then I would be able to see eye to eye with the whole gritty or grimdark discussion.

THEY SAID FUCK THO.

I do not see what people are complaining about...

Cuburt

The game looks great!

Cool character designs. Fun and diverse cast. Interesting universe with a blend of familiar and new.

Hopefully the game plays as good as it looks.

edit: People are complaining that this is too grim-dark?? Did I see a different trailer? The game looks like fun just with a sprinkle of grit.

Aters

What's so 2017 about it? The swearing? Pretty sure Pulp Fiction came out in 1995.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So you think jade in the first game was stylistically proportioned and shaped because of tech limitations of the time, despite there being examples of realistically styled humans in other games from that time? i don't buy it. The game had style, the same way clone wars does in comparison to the live action movies. Humans shouldn't look like photo realistic humans in this world, and the animals should be way more stylised. Not look like some michael bay bebop/rocksteady rejects from his TMNT movies.

You're saying this is stylistically proportioned:

6a00e3982444028833010536ef5107970b.jpg

And this isn't?

gnsttybfgfkrwxe7myiy.jpg

They both look really close in position on the cartoon/realism slide to me.

Kinvara

I've waited so long for this.

I just want it to be good.

I'm interested in the captain character briefly teased at the end. I want to play as her.

Top Bottom