• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

giapel

Ok, so gameplay wise, it's nothing like the first game then. When did we, in the first game, ever said: "I could use some help here"???

Off-screen gameplay gif
beyond_good_and_evil_2_gameplay_gif_by_digi_matrix-dbco391.gif

FelipeMGM

It only gives you the option to choose game systems that are linked with your uplay account, have Ubisoft released any games for Switch yet?

It definitely doesn't seem to be a Switch exclusive though, which is good.

nah, I only have PS4 linked and was able to choose other systems

and yes, Ubi has released a game on Switch (Just Dance)

Grisby

Summing this up:

• A different planet than the original BGE. You will discover the pillars of this world
  • Hybrids: half human, half animals, created by humans to colonize planets that are too toxic.
  • We want to explain to the player what the world is about, how all of this is connected and the trailer is a part of that
  • Everything is connected to the first game, you will recognize the races in BGE1, Ancel likes the first sentence: Where is your master, I don't deal with domesticated.
  • There is a religion thing with the Pey statue.
  • We try to work very deeply with the world before anything else. Where is it and why? What is the history behind all of this?
  • We've never made such a big game, so for them as the team, it's a big challenge.
  • We worked for 3 years to have the proper technology to execute on our big dreams for this game
  • It allows us to travel across planets, planets with a lot of detail like cities, gravity, moons, etc.
  • The Chinese restaurant sequence to the city to jumping into space is based on the game design - going from small scale to large scale. It's like GTA in space.
  • When you take a picture, you are creating a moment. We want to have meta information on the pictures players take. And then you can show the photo to a NPC that the NPC reacts to.
  • The technology has two components: 1 is the scale, 2 is the online. The game allows for both solo play and you can call a friend to help you with completing a mission. We want players to share the adventure together. It's an adventure you can play alone or with friends. Like BGE1 using the help of your companions, so too can you use other players to overcome the challenges of the game.
  • Closed-doors internal demo this E3, but you will hear a lot from the team in 2017 about the game.
Oh thank god that reads like they've got some stuff up and running (besides that little bit in the back when Ancel was talking).

That's good news if they spent that long the engine. Sounds have they could have the kinks out of it and such.

UrbanRats

Off-screen gameplay gif
beyond_good_and_evil_2_gameplay_gif_by_digi_matrix-dbco391.gif

The curvature of the planet in the background, + Ancel's words, i assume this engine has some of that Infinity Battlescape, or Star Citizen type of seamless interplanetary travel.

That itself should dictated severe compromises for what you can do in terms of detail, especially if it has to run on a ps4 and Xbone.
The city shot from the behind closed doors looked fairly detailer though, so i'm kind of puzzled.

I wonder if they're using some kind of procedural generation or something.

Wild also has a map, allegedly, as big as Europe, so maybe they're even sharing knowledge between the teams (though i doubt Ubisoft and Sony would be cool to just pay for tools Ancel gets to keep).

mabec

Its the hardware limitations that sets the genre. We should be glad its not a Nintendo game, hence the swearings and middle fingers going on so much. Or maybe its just a wink to Vivendi...

UrbanRats

Wow.
I know this is all talk and ideas and promises, but Ancel not being Molyneux, makes me really excited.

Honestly i'm happy they're going for something this ambitious that could change the industry in more significant ways, rather than restricting themselves to a regular, by the number sequel to the first game.
I feel like their talent would be wasted.

I don't care that BGE ended on a cliff hanger personally, but i can see how others can find that frustrating, on that note though, there's a chance you'll still get hits in this game.
Be it a time jump, explanations about the Lore or other trickery.

berzeli

Banned
He pressed some keys on the keyboard of the PC running the demo and changed the time of day. The sun set. Not an impressive feat, really, until he explained what was happening.

“I’m changing the time,” Ancel said as he then zoomed out so that the camera pulled back from the atmosphere into outer space. Many games have day/night cycles, but in this demo, “Changing the time” meant actually making the planet rotate on its axis as it moved around a star, causing the light from the star to hit the surface differently. “There is a universal simulation,” he said. “There are galaxies. It’s not just changing the color of the sun. Everything is rotating.”
I love Ancel so much.

Ran rp

Well that doesn't sound promising...

This isn't going to be the focused, handcrafted single player adventure a lot of us wanted, even if we can play it it solo.

It's been so long, I can't even remember the story of the first game.

I started the game up after watching the trailer, I forgot how short the game actually was but this is the basis of the story:
Jade takes on a photography job to keep power supply going at the orphanage which protects them from kidnappings by DomZ that regularly invade. She is employed to take pictures of a certain creature but is really a way for IRIS Network to recruit her to their cause, it turns out that Alpha Sections who control Hillys are implicit in the abductions and is tasked with finding evidence of this, in doing so Pey'j is kidnapped and you follow where he is taken towhilst gathering evidence to help overthrow alpha section. You eventually go to the moon where you find out you are the vessel that contains the power that DomZ ruler needs to live and were hidden away in hopes to kill it but has been feeding off humans in the meantime, it is also the power that helps you defeat the DomZ ruler, revive everyone that was captured and bring them back.

If I was a betting person I'd put my money on BG&E2 being about when the group that Pey'j comes from taking the power away from DomZ.

SMG

I thought B&E was like an action-adventure platfoemer? This is going to be a huge galactic-scale sci-fi Mount n Blade-esque game?

More of a stealth, puzzler. With an expanding hub world.

I started the game up after watching the trailer, I forgot how short the game actually was but this is the basis of the story:
Jade takes on a photography job to keep power supply going at the orphanage which protects them from kidnappings by DomZ that regularly invade. She is employed to take pictures of a certain creature but is really a way for IRIS Network to recruit her to their cause, it turns out that Alpha Sections who control Hillys are implicit in the abductions and is tasked with finding evidence of this, in doing so Pey'j is kidnapped and you follow where he is taken towhilst gathering evidence to help overthrow alpha section. You eventually go to the moon where you find out you are the vessel that contains the power that DomZ ruler needs to live and were hidden away in hopes to kill it but has been feeding off humans in the meantime, it is also the power that helps you defeat the DomZ ruler, revive everyone that was captured and bring them back.

If I was a betting person I'd put my money on BG&E2 being about when the group that Pey'j comes from taking the power away from DomZ.

Just to add that the game has a very clear stinger that sets up a follow up. It wasn't all wrapped up.

Ramenman

Wow.
I know this is all talk and ideas and promises, but Ancel not being Molyneux, makes me really excited.

It's funny because he's promising some wild stuff in all those interviews, and i was thinking actually we don't know about that : P

The guy hasn't been attached to anything remotely "ambitious" since probably BG&E1, which was 15 years ago (and announced even further out), and the way games marketing and previews and communication worked was very different then.

There was no live conferences, very few gameplay videos, social media was inexistant etc, print media was much more important, etc.

If you look at Molyneux, he really started getting called out more strongly about the stuff he said during the whole 360 gen with Fable 2 and 3, and then with kickstarter and Godus and stuff. Yeah there was some amount of wild claims about Black & White etc, but it was a different time and so received differently imo.

So actually, it's not that Ancel has been known to deliver on promises before, it's more that he hasn't been in a position where he had to make any for the past 15 years.

(Rayman Origins/Legends are awesome but there isn't much you could bullshit about for 2D Rayman games even if you wanted to : P)

UrbanRats

The thing is, Molyneux jumped from bullshit to bullshit.
Milo, that Cube thing, Godus... he basically delivered on nothing.
I don't fault his ambition too much, beside all the bullshit, i still appreciate, on some level, that will to wanting do something new.

As for Ancel, i'm not saying he'll be able to deliver for sure, but any project of his big or small, has been quite excellent (of those i played).
Even his King Kong game was pretty well received, despite having to be a movie tie in.

But yeah, it wasn't meant to be a direct comparison, just pointing out that not every big ambition has to end up like Project Ego.

Ubisoft better give this game the attention it deserves when the time comes. Their disregard and lack if marketing for the first game is the reason why BG&E didn't do well.

I signed up for the beta a few days ago but never got the option to select platform. Now whenever I try to resubmit my application it says I am signed up for the PC beta waiting list :/

Hope I can change that somehow.

Byvar

Another very interesting video interview revealing things like "multiple playable characters"

Gamereactor
Lol - "characters that could be related to the first characters from BG&E1, like the space captain you saw at the end of the trailer". I guess that confirms she's related to Jade - probably her mother.

I like that this game involves you recruiting characters with your base/ship evolving over time. Kind of reminds me of Suikoden.

Snaku

Banned
Ubisoft better give this game the attention it deserves when the time comes. Their disregard and lack if marketing for the first game is the reason why BG&E didn't do well.

That still infuriates me. Releasing it at the same time as PoP, pouring all their advertising into that game, and expecting BGE to sell off of good reviews and word of mouth alone. Idiocy.

Chev

The thing is, Molyneux jumped from bullshit to bullshit.
Milo, that Cube thing, Godus... he basically delivered on nothing.
It's easy to forget that up until Dungeon Keeper and maybe even Black & White, Molyneux was a game design legend with an extremely impressive track record (and that despite overpromising on every single game he worked on).

M4kk0

Neo Member
Gamereactor has just published an interview with Michel Ancel about Beyond Good & Evil 2, and he says Jade may appear at some moment of the game:

"The very important thing is we don't say we'll not see her again [Jade]. It's a story across generations, it's a prequel. We wanted to make the main characters of Beyond Good & Evil 1 key characters of the new story, of Beyond Good & Evil 2."

Source (02:50): https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/410573/Ancel+sobre+Jade+en+BGE2+No+hemos+dicho+que+no+este/

Snaku

Banned
Gamereactor has just published an interview with Michel Ancel about Beyond Good & Evil 2, and he says Jade may appear at some moment of the game:

"The very important thing is we don't say we'll not see her again [Jade]. It's a story across generations, it's a prequel. We wanted to make the main characters of Beyond Good & Evil 1 key characters of the new story, of Beyond Good & Evil 2."

Source (02:50): https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/410573/Ancel+sobre+Jade+en+BGE2+No+hemos+dicho+que+no+este/

Yeah, sure, she'll appear in the last five minutes. Probably as a child.

As someone who didn't play the earlier game, this all sounds amazing. Insanely high scope and i've been burned on these things before, but if they pull it off? whew

nekomix

If this game delivers it's one thing... If it really comes to Switch so the same game but just scaled down, that's wizardry right here.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So due to the the trailer for Beyond Good & Evil 2, I decided it's time for me to play the first game. Got the HD one on my XBox and boy the control scheme will take time to get used to, eh?

mabec

From what I remember the controlls are pretty solid on PC. But then again I could stand Shenmues

Oh, also: In engine gameplay will be shared later this week. Looking forward to that

Wadiwasi

Banned
He pressed some keys on the keyboard of the PC running the demo and changed the time of day. The sun set. Not an impressive feat, really, until he explained what was happening.

“I’m changing the time,” Ancel said as he then zoomed out so that the camera pulled back from the atmosphere into outer space. Many games have day/night cycles, but in this demo, “Changing the time” meant actually making the planet rotate on its axis as it moved around a star, causing the light from the star to hit the surface differently. “There is a universal simulation,” he said. “There are galaxies. It’s not just changing the color of the sun. Everything is rotating.”

This to me is absolutely amazing. One of the things that keeps coming to me is that if, over time, some of these studios put things in place...(like solar system based time/night/day cycles and developing a whole fleshed out planet), they would be able to reuse those assets for future generations of massive games. No small feat by any measure, but they did say that they had to get a bunch of stuff designed and developed to even make their vision of the game work and this seems to be one of those ideas.

IC5

Eh, not really. It was a weird time. There were a few games released then, which flopped for no reason.
XIII wasn't too great, but it had a ton of magazine coverage and ads.

Prince of Persia was very hyped, had an impressive demo, and reviewed quite well. They literally gave it away with Splinter Cell, after 2 months of poor sales. (it was actually buy PoP and get SC. But I mean the idea is people actually wanted Splinter Cell and PoP would get a tag a long sale).

BG&E was in that mix and was dropped to half price, after maybe two weeks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Lol - "characters that could be related to the first characters from BG&E1, like the space captain you saw at the end of the trailer". I guess that confirms she's related to Jade - probably her mother.

I like that this game involves you recruiting characters with your base/ship evolving over time. Kind of reminds me of Suikoden.

As said, it's her mother.
At least, now it is. Game so far out, who knows haha

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
From what I remember the controlls are pretty solid on PC. But then again I could stand Shenmues

Oh, also: In engine gameplay will be shared later this week. Looking forward to that
Did you play using controller setup before?

Lime

So due to the the trailer for Beyond Good & Evil 2, I decided it's time for me to play the first game. Got the HD one on my XBox and boy the control scheme will take time to get used to, eh?

The control scheme for the HD ports for PS3 and 360 should be fine.

The PC version were very subpar at the time and it doesn't have controller support at all if you buy the original Steam and GOG versions.

However, for some strange reasons, the Uplay version of BGE1 has controller support, although it's a bit iffy and it doesn't have any proper button UI.

mabec

This have been confirmed as false

The control scheme for the HD ports for PS3 and 360 should be fine.

The PC version were very subpar at the time and it doesn't have controller support at all if you buy the original Steam and GOG versions.

However, for some strange reasons, the Uplay version of BGE1 has controller support, although it's a bit iffy and it doesn't have any proper button UI.

Urge you to try it again on Steam, I tried it briefly a few days ago and it now have support for 1440p and above. Not sure of the Uplay version

Top Bottom