• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Actually there was a bit. See:

Yeah, that was very brief though, but you can already see that the world will be massive in heights and size and that they're offering different methods for traversal.

On another note, has anyone been able to register to the Space Monkey Program yet? I have an infinite loading webpage currently.

Bit confused with the people taking about the graphics looking realistic now and not cartoony.

Where were you for the last trailer we got? It's exactly the same style.

Is this game many years out? Was there any ballpark given for release? I've been burned with a BGAE CG teaser before, and I don't want to get my hopes up if the game is still very early in development.

I haven't kept up with this thread, so I'm sorry if the answer to my question was posted earlier.

Is this game many years out? Was there any ballpark given for release? I've been burned with a BGAE CG teaser before, and I don't want to get my hopes up if the game is still very early in development.

I haven't kept up with this thread, so I'm sorry if the answer to my question was posted earlier.

Going by that bit of gameplay we saw in the conference, I'm going to guess this is still really early in development.

Edit: watched that bit again, he mentioned they've been working on it for 3 years already? Gameplay still looks like it has quite a ways to go.

Bishop89

re-watched the trailer.

It looks like so much fun.
Great character designs.

And yeah i can see the fifth element similarities hahaha.

The concept arts are gorgeous
bge2_ren_dakini_e3_17cfsqz.jpg

UrbanRats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R6EN-soJ0

That's a BG&E sequel I'd be really overexcited for. Not some adolescent nonsense with gratuitous swearing and jiggling breast physics (remember when the original was acclaimed for its female lead being realistically proportioned and nonsexualised? This trailer doesn't!). I see little to no relation between what was shown in the trailer and the affably silly charms of the original. It's like they just slapped the BG&E title on some game they already had in development to give it a bit of a platform. Not great, Bob.

So much nonsense crammed into one post, good going.

First of all, let's not pretend that BG&E wasn't aimed at children and adolescents in the first place (surface level political themes included).

Secondly, the swearing could very well be in character (and seems to be) so i don't see how it's gratuitous.
Jiggle physics aren't an absolute taboo, if you're animating breasts in a scene meant to show a character as sleazy, even in relation by who surrounds him.

Thirdly, Jade was a cartoon with with feet as big as her head, and a head as big as her torso, she wasn't "realistically proportioned".

The black girl on the bike (the only human in the trailer approaching any main character status) isn't really sexualized (no more than Jade) and doesn't have "unrealistic proportions", infact, it's way more realistic than anything in BGE, which i thought was the problem in the first place, for some of you.

Finally, it being an open world with an online component, it'll likely feature character creation of some kind, so you probably haven't even seen the character you'll play as.

-
No doubt the tone is different, and i understand some may have preferred the old one, no accounting for taste, but don't try to pass the shift as some big ethical degradation, please.

If anything, it seems to play (and it's early to tell) with non euro cultures in a more interesting way than the cartoony stereotypes you had in BGE, but we'll see about that.

Going by that bit of gameplay we saw in the conference, I'm going to guess this is still really early in development.

Edit: watched that bit again, he mentioned they've been working on it for 3 years already? Gameplay still looks like it has quite a ways to go.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll allow myself to be cautiously optimistic lol

Lime

Not some adolescent nonsense with gratuitous swearing and jiggling breast physics (remember when the original was acclaimed for its female lead being realistically proportioned and nonsexualised? This trailer doesn't!).

I'm sorry, but you need to take a seat, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

plushyp

All hype gone in an instant after finding out the MP/online direction they are taking. Not to mention going the prequel route after that cliffhanger ending of the first game.

In tone it reminded me of a Gorillaz video.

I never played BG&E and love the Fifth Element, so I'm down for whatever Ancel's got cooked up for us.

Kadayi

Banned
A lot of the people complaining about the swearing should watch this

If there was some counterpoint to the criticism of it being tonally different than the original I didn't hear it. All I heard was Sterling doing his usual shitlord thing.

ghostjoke

Banned
I really hope they follow up this quickly with something substantial featuring gameplay. The more I read and think about it, the more I see that ugly new Ubisoft logo encroaching and this turning into another Ubisoft game.

Anyone else completely fine with this being a very different game? Honestly, I would have been dissappointed if this was a direct sequel. The story has been told.

I am 100% okay with it being a prequel. Jumping back into the past seems like the best way to resolve some of the cliffhangers from the original game. The woman we saw near the end looks like it could be Jade's mom, and Ancel's comments in the trailer breakdown seem to back that up. We also got concept art last year that looks like it could be Jade's dad and young Pey'j.

Tuck

any source on that?? All i heard during the press conf was online seamless and all articles about it so far are pretty vague about it ot completely guessing
Ancel seemed to imply that in the twitch interview. Friends can drop in and help you out if they're further along in the story.

km3k

Neo Member
Do we know who the player character is?

I want it to be the black girl but I imagine it's monkey man.

It hadn't even occurred to me that they might make the monkey the protagonist. I figured it would be Shani or Dakini. I guess I need to lower my expectations down another notch.

Maligna

Banned
It hadn't even occurred to me that they might make the monkey the protagonist. I figured it would be Shani or Dakini. I guess I need to lower my expectations down another notch.

Although with the online elements taken into account, perhaps we create our own character. That would suit me fine.

Lime

Do we know who the player character is?

I want it to be the black girl but I imagine it's monkey man.

In the gameplay segment that we see in the background while the narrative director and Ancel were talking the monkey is flying around in a jetpack. I could imagine they'll go with multiple characters, just like you had a brief sequence of playing the pig in BGE1.

Although I too would vastly prefer to play Shani, she seems super cool.

UrbanRats

In the gameplay segment that we see in the background while the narrative director and Ancel were talking the monkey is flying around in a jetpack. I could imagine they'll go with multiple characters, just like you had a brief sequence of playing the pig in BGE1.

Although I too would vastly prefer to play Shani, she seems super cool.

I'm just assuming character creation tbh (but i'm with you on Shani, in case there isn't).

Top Bottom