• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware ends SP patches and content for ME Andromeda, multiplayer will continue

Maybe Sony or MS could buy the IP? I really hope EA doesn't bury the franchise indefinitely, i know they have Star Wars and have invested a lot of cash with that IP but Mass Effect doesn't deserve this surely.
IP (even tarnished IP) is pretty much the last thing a publisher will part with.

I'm still amazed Square let go of Hitman.

Stygr

Banned
Maybe Sony or MS could buy the IP? I really hope EA doesn't bury the franchise indefinitely, i know they have Star Wars and have invested a lot of cash with that IP but Mass Effect doesn't deserve this surely.

Dont think so, EA will never sell the ME IP, they dont need money, they could have sell Ultima, C&C, Syndicate or other classic big names but they are still on their portfolio, maybe one day, we will see another Mass Effect.

K' Dash

It took the last hour of a game and a shitty sequel to end what was one of the best new IPs in gaming.

EA should be proud.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And people told me to give bioware a chance after ME3 and DA2.

To be fair, despite some flaws, there is a lot to appreciate in DAI, particularly its DLC(which is some of the studios best post-release work).

Maledict

How's the multiplayer mode? No one I follow or game with have ever mentioned anything about it. At all.

It didn't have the stickiness of mass effect 3 for multiple reasons:

1) the grind was far worse, especially considering it was the start of the games lifespan. Multiple ultra rare characters from the get go, needing character cards just to max out characters, extra ranks on characters, duplicates not being replaced by other cards like in the original - it created a very steep hill to climb from the get go.

2) enemy design just doesn't compare. None of the new factions holds a candle to the original three, and the mercenaries in particular are a forced hodgepodge of random troops. The Ascendant was also complete bullshit.

3) map design really lacked compared to the original game. None of the new maps had the immediate visual impact or clear design layout of the starter Me3 maps.

4) because there aren't limits on spawns in the same way me3 had, maps would be harder for players at the start even on bronze, and some of the original mulitplayer tactics for spawning control points just don't work.

5) the z axis stuff didn't integrate well into the game, and linked to 4 you could often have enemies spawn right above you and instantly start shooting.

6) class choices isn't as varied or fun as me3 multiplayer became. I know it's unfair to compare me3 with multiple dlcs to me:a without, but that's the options I have in front of me when I want to play.

I do also think it suffered in that I've done this insane grind before, and it was fun but I don't want spend another 200+ hours chasing mods / character cards / guns again in what is a prettier but inferior version of the game.

OBias

Some fans are not giving up:

x6bue9V.jpg

Taker34

Banned
Good. I said it from the very beginning but the departure from the original cast was a mistake, just like not having Edmonton develop it.

They could do this with an MMO but they basically took away everything which made Mass Effect great in the first place. If I could present EA the only viable options to go forward with the franchise: Garrus Citadel officer prequel spin-off or ME4.

No patch could've fixed the worst part of that game: the writing.

There was one particular Alex memory scene, I won't go into details, that I suppose was there to stir up some emotion for the player. It was dreadfully written. I'm no expert in the writing stakes but I honestly couldn't believe how poor the dialogue was, so flat.

Brannon

Amateur team went way too big for their first major title; should've kept it small, like a whole game on the Citadel. Ah well. Dreams.

joe2187

Banned
To be fair, despite some flaws, there is a lot to appreciate in DAI, particularly its DLC(which is some of the studios best post-release work).

Im willing to give most companies a chance to make up, but ME3 was released as a finished product with a placard for the ending touting for me to be excited for post release DLC and expecting me to pay more to wait for them to fix their absolute and utter mishandling.

DA2 was a complete and utter trashfire, they turned everything good about Awakenings and Origins into terrible edgy fanfiction tropes, the same dog shit that tainted ME2 and ME3.

Van Bur3n

Oh no! I didn't see that one coming!

As I've always said, it's for the best. You fucked up. As a result, you also put the ME franchise back into the dirt. Now let it stay dead.

Some franchises, no matter how loved and popular as they were, don't need to come back.

Schlorgan

Man, how dare Bioware move their best people and most of their time to a new IP, amirite?

That would normally be something to celebrate.

Crazy how a game like DA2 can end up getting DLC and yet Andromeda can't even get a single piece of single player story DLC. Goes to show how badly EA/BioWare are just washing their hands of Mass Effect at this point, which is a sad end for the franchise.

Is this the first modern BioWare game to NOT have any single player DLC? Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 did. Dragon Age: Origins, 2 and Inquisition all did. Really, with how quickly EA/BioWare are pulling the plug on this combined with how MMO-ish Anthem looks, has me worried about the single player prospects of whatever Dragon Age game they're doing next.

Stiler

Why is EA being so stupid with this IP?

They had three well received (well minus the 3rd one's ending) and well selling games from the series.

Then they hand off the franchise to a completely NEW studio that isn't Bioware edmonton , they release a game that is average and gets decent but not super-high reviews/sales like the previous ones and EA is like "fuck it, shut down the studio, shelf the franchise!"

Baffles my damn mind, seems like such a knee jerk reaction.

Why not let the real Bioware, Bioware Edmonton, return to the universe after they finish Anthem and let us have a good proper one?

Hell they go the original writer back at Bioware now too.

They had three well received (well minus the 3rd one's ending) and well selling games from the series.

Then they hand off the franchise to a completely NEW studio that isn't Bioware edmonton , they release a game that is average and gets decent but not super-high reviews/sales like the previous ones and EA is like "fuck it, shut down the studio, shelf the franchise!"

Why not let the real Bioware, Bioware Edmonton, return to the universe after they finish Anthem and let us have a good proper one?

What if no one from Edmonton Bio-ware wants to work on mass effect anymore?
Are they really to be expected to work on the the series forever?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

EA has Star Wars now, they don't give a fuck any more.

Taker34

Banned

Maybe this will happen, though it'll still take years until we'd see the next game. We don't even know if the studio wants to do Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Like Bethesda is tired of the Fallout / TES cycle. Who knows but my guess is EA being greedy and not wanting to wait until Edmonton finished two games before getting back to ME eventually.

I wonder if fans will make some pc mods that improve things some what, not looked into it.
Here's a whole damn list of mods that do wonders for the game:
If you're playing on PC, here's a list of mods I highly recommend:
Free Remnant Decryption Keys (1000x)
Road Rage (increased Nomad collision damage to enemies)
Materials for Sale (all crafting materials can be bought on the Tempest for free)
General Augs Rebalanced (full disclosure: I made this mod - sets a wide variety of augments to give 10% bonuses to weapons/gear)
Weight Cooldown Bonus (brings back ME3's less weight = faster cooldowns mechanic)
Hyper Mobility (better sprint speed, better jump height & distance, might get you stuck on invisible geometry)
Squadmates Damage (buff to squadmate stats so they're less useless)
No Profile Switching Cooldown (switching profiles doesn't cause all abilities to cooldown)
Shut Up SAM (Reduces SAM chatter about environmental hazards)
Cheap Research (Reduces research costs by 75-80%}
Research No Level Requirements (Actually build the highest tier stuff without going into New Game Plus or tons of grinding)
Shorter Landing and Departure Cinematics (Cuts most of these cutscenes down to sub-10 seconds)
Increased Weapon Range
Faster Kadara Doors
Nomad Top Speed Increase (Now it peaks at 200 km/h)
Ultimate Camera FOV mod
DS4 Buttons

Tools you should have:
MEA Recovery Tool (let's you revert changes if modding causes problems)
Frosty Mod Manager (lets you run mods in a nice UI, remember to double click the mods on the list to the left)
MEAExplorer Ansel DLLs (download them & stick them in the MEA game folder so the mods will actually work)

Edit: You don't need the DLLs with Frosty Mod Manager.

Maledict

Because Edmonton are tired of the setting and don't want to make another Mass Effect. They see it as done and dusted, same with the writers. EA obviously wanted more hit games, they invested in the new studio, new studio fucked it up, and here we are.

The fact the game isn't getting single player DLC should tell you how it did and what their focus group / user testing was showing afterwards.

Everyone kinda knew this was coming. I think it is safe to say the Mass Effect franchise is dead. I honestly cannot envision a scenario where EA would want to bring Mass Effect back to life again. Such a horrible way for a fantastic franchise to die.

As for Bioware man I hope Anthem is a success for them cos if it isn't then EA is gonna take em out back and put them out of their misery.

So with Mass Effect being officially dead now, let's see where I am with Bioware at the moment.

• I don't give a shit about Destiny and its clones, so there goes Anthem.
  • I'm not crazy about Star Wars and actually find the movies to be average. So there is that.
  • And I don't see Bioware making a new original SP focused RPG anytime soon.
So that leaves the next Dragon Age. When they fuck that one up (and one look at their few recent RPGs tell me that they will) I'll be officially done with them. I liked Bioware because of their big SP focused RPGs, because of the worlds that they had created within them and the ability that they would give to the players to go through those worlds and their stories the way they wanted to.

When I think of Bioware I don't think of multiplayer shooters or licensed Star Wars games, and if that's what they are gonna be after screwing up Dragon Age, then I'll just have to part ways with them.

It's not the same and it's not really any consolation to me as a ME fan, but at least CDPR is around for my future big-SP-focused-RPG fix. So, at least there is that.

sangreal

This is really frustrating for those of us who actually played through this mess of a game and enjoyed it despite its flaws

DR2K

Banned
Everyone kinda knew this was coming. I think it is safe to say the Mass Effect franchise is dead. I honestly cannot envision a scenario where EA would want to bring Mass Effect back to life again. Such a horrible way for a fantastic franchise to die.

As for Bioware man I hope Anthem is a success for them cos if it isn't then EA is gonna take em out back and put them out of their misery.

Dragon Age did well.

Not really any surprise given there's no studio to work on it anymore. I hope the next DA won't disappoint, considering it'll likely be the only Bioware sp title for god knows how long. What a shame.

Mass Effect Andromeda could have been something truly special. The idea of exploring a brand new uncharted galaxy that no one had ever seen before is a ripe opportunity for something truly unique and interesting. What amazing planets would be there to explore? What new races would we have to find and would we even be able to communicate with them? Would they become allies or enemies, or would we get to play a major role in deciding that? What new kinds of enemies would we face, what kinds of wildlife would we find? How would the colonists feel about leaving behind their homes for good and what would this new galaxy ultimately mean to them? These were ultimately many of the questions I had going into this game and I was super excited to see what we would ultimately find but unfortunately all we did see was more of the same. The new races are just like what we already had in the Milky Way, they are humanoid (seriously why?), they fight with guns, they have similar technology, ect. The planets were pretty standard video game levels, tropical planet, desert planet, ice planet, ect. many of which we saw in previous mass effect games and there was no interacting with any interesting wildlife either. Stuff was meant to be scanned or you'd shoot it, mostly both. It just didn't feel at all like it was even attempting to capitalize on the unique opportunity the game had, to give us worlds we didn't expect to see and places we'd never thought to existing but everything was pretty much the same as before, it didn't seem like it actually mattered if this game took place in a new galaxy or not.

That was I think the thing that ME:A failed upon the most, to really breathe life into this series that had a pretty rocky ending last time around. I think EA not even planning a Season Pass ahead of time speaks volumes for the support they were going to deliver for this game in the first place. They knew this game wasn't going to perform long before it was ever finished and them saying now that they are done with the game only shows how long they ultimately waited to make that decision public, Kotaku leaked this very thing months ago. Mass Effect Andromeda never stood a chance, not with EA at the helm, not with the normal Bioware absent. I don't mean to speak ill of the developers of this game, I doubt we'll ever know what really went on behind the scenes but this game was such wasted potential and I'm just sorry it ended up this way.

Top Bottom