• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin about to hit $4,000 per. Anyone in on this?

I think the design that enforces a small finite amount to ever be mined that is unrelated to anything but a maths equation may be a drawback as it means all attention is on potential appreciation from holding, and not use.

Maybe I'll buy $5k worth of eth and consider it a complete loss. 5k maximun downside, but potentially millions of upside

In order for a $5000 investment in ETH to turn into even just $1,000,000 (much less "millions"), ETH would have to increase from its current $304.50 to $60,900 - over 15x BTC's current value.
In other words: Not a chance in the world.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Maybe I'll buy $5k worth of eth and consider it a complete loss. 5k maximun downside, but potentially millions of upside

Yeah if you want to hit it big, you need to look at the cheap currencies. There's no shortage of them. Currencies like eth, btc, etc are already too expensive if that's your goal. You can still make a nice profit but no millions.

RS4-

I wish I got into the whole btc thing, even for a bit back then.

Instead I've just got some ETH and SIA sitting here.

TyrantII

People say it will crash, but the question is why?

Because it isn't being democratized. The majority holders are in few hands.

Most of the speculation is probably for them to pump and dump. All you need is new people buying in on the craze and the numbers going up.

I was and pulled out around $3000. But I was only ever in with play around money for day trading experiences, was profitable but not as profitable as buying/selling things for me so it tied up capital I could use for that.

As of right now, I'm still mining ETH, but Bitcoin is being manipulated so heavily that I feel extremely uncomfortable with it. This is not a market being driven by usage of implementation, but from large holder minipulatiom, just be careful and have your fingers on the trigger at all times. The big winners are the ones with big money, usually at the expense of the smaller investors.

Usobuko

Banned
How does this bruteforce to become a normalized currency for the average joe?

I don't put money into things I don't understand mostly.

Dougald

I don't think it'll ever be used for anything other than speculation, buying weed on tor, or the odd obsessive BTC fan buying a few things online. At least not when most of the talk still centres around its value in USD

Digital0Reality

Neo Member

Distributed applications can allow for cheaper services through the block chain. It would follow that people would use block chain services for efficiency/cost purposes.

idlewild_

I knew this guy in grad school who taught in Japan for a couple years. He converted a bunch of USD to JPY when going over, but decided he didn't want to eat the exchange costs when coming back and also was interested in bitcoin. So over the course of a few weeks/months before coming back to the US he bought something like $20-30k in bitcoin sometime in like 2012. He was still holding most of it when I last saw him in 2014, not sure if he still is but it could be worth quite a bit now days.

kabel

This obviously does not bode well for those wanting to make a new PC.

Yeah, usually when BTC increases most altcoins do too.

So when ETH goes to $400....500...600+, you can say good bye to all graphics cards on the market for months.

$500 GTX1060/RX580 inc.

So what's the currency to buy into for a pay out of millions in 10 years?

http://www.fucktoken.io/

Actually don't...crypto coins could be worth $0 tomorrow......or $1bn, in which case, actually do it.

low-G

I think the design that enforces a small finite amount to ever be mined that is unrelated to anything but a maths equation may be a drawback as it means all attention is on potential appreciation from holding, and not use.

This is an extremely astute point too. Similarly I don't like how the founders of any cryptocurrency can effectively declare themselves billionaires should their currency succeed.

(By mining the first x coins themsevles)

Damn, can you buy me a Porsche?

;)

Porsche-Hot-Wheels-Porsch-959.jpg

NEO/ANS is the one that's really shocked me and been consistent through all swings and continued to grow. Although that is likely due to massive amounts of chinese backing. So it all seems like these coins are very strongly tied to large level government or investor manipulation. Which is technically illegal, but there's not really any rules in place. Which is why it's so damn risky, but there's a lot of reward there too. Just as always, gotta have money to make money.

Distributed applications can allow for cheaper services through the block chain. It would follow that people would use block chain services for efficiency/cost purposes.

As it stands right now due to cost of usage, the currency really has no practical value. A massive change in the way the system works or how they eat costs would have to occur to change that. The problem is those costs would be passed on to the miners, who likely wouldn't stick around if the profit margins shrunk by too much. Without that, the costs go up even further. Crypto effectively has to become a regular currency with everything that comes with(Stability through regulation etc.) to really ever gain real value or purpose outside niche, and often shady reasons.

This inflation is still being driven by a metaphorical gold rush and then heavy manipulation on top, so much so that you can actually just look and see it (The jumps in cost of sold coins you can watch go up considerably more than makes sense during small but consistent climbs). When it eventually comes down to implementation and usage, it's really up in the air.

I'd venture the usage outside of the markets only makes up a fractional percentage of the total usage.

kyser73

I would never make a substantial investment into it. It has been demonstrated that it's possible to completely disable the currency and thus make it worthless for a few hundred thousand US dollars a day. That has to make it the most risky common investment in the world.

All of its value is based on semi-arbitrary things, and completely dependent on a stable world society, economy, etc. There isn't substantial real value backing, and when there is backing it's based on normal currencies. The very people who believe the most in bitcoin are those that believe the least in the things that they need for bitcoin to survive at all (strong world governments and regulation). If disaster happens, gold will be worth something, very very likely the US dollar will be worth something, and bitcoin will be valueless with the slightest societal disruptions.

They say you should invest optimistically, but bitcoin is the most optimistic thing of all.

You know what fiat currency is, right? Since the end of the gold standard no currency is bound by 'substantial' assets, money is a creation of the banking sector.

Bitcoin is only different in that it isn't a sovereign currency that can call on a central bank to prop its value up.

low-G

You know what fiat currency is, right? Since the end of the gold standard no currency is bound by 'substantial' assets, money is a creation of the banking sector.

Bitcoin is only different in that it isn't a sovereign currency that can call on a central bank to prop its value up.

The US dollar is exponentially more backed than bitcoin, which would crumble if lots of people tried to cash out at once. There's a hell of a lot of other differences too, as I noted.

If Elon Musk ever creates or backs a cryptocurrency, that's the one you want to invest in because you know it's going to be the official currency of the first moon colonies.

Cocaloch

You make that seem like a small thing instead of the basis of the economy.....

Anyone have any experience using bitcoin to buy and sell?

Are there any legit websites out there right now which you have used this currency to purchase goods/services?

Sulik2

If you can get in on cheap coins with good growth potential is what to do. I'm killing mself for only buying 200 bucks of eth last year, I've gotten a 20x return on it in 14 months.

BraXzy

I have known about Bitcoin since maybe 2012 but only really started paying attention to cryptos last year. I saw BTC dip to $900 from its all time highs of about $1500 at the time. I was seriously considering picking up at least one but would've been stretched for cash. Oh how I regret it. FOMO is real now.

What's the quickest way to get funds into Bittrex starting from USD? It looks like they only accept deposits of other cryptocurrencies, so I need to use another exchange to buy something else first and then send it to Bittrex. USDT looks like it has a 1:1 exchange rate with USD, so I found tether.to but it wants me to upload a bank statement, and download and sign some paper documents, and yea I'm not fucking around with that. GDAX and Bittrex both just had me upload scans of my driver's license and I was ready to go.

GDAX works but when you make a purchase it takes like a week before you receive the deposit in your wallet.

Instro

What's the quickest way to get funds into Bittrex starting from USD? It looks like they only accept deposits of other cryptocurrencies, so I need to use another exchange to buy something else first and then send it to Bittrex. USDT looks like it has a 1:1 exchange rate with USD, so I found tether.to but it wants me to upload a bank statement, and download and sign some paper documents, and yea I'm not fucking around with that. GDAX and Bittrex both just had me upload scans of my driver's license and I was ready to go.

GDAX works but when you make a purchase it takes like a week before you receive the deposit in your wallet.

I believe you are stuck waiting a week with GDAX/Coinbase. I'm not sure if there is a quicker way without providing more information than you probably want to(I wouldn't either). But yeah after that you can send the Bitcoin or Ethereum over to Bittrex for trading.

I believe you are stuck waiting a week with GDAX/Coinbase. I'm not sure if there is a quicker way without providing more information than you probably want to(I wouldn't either). But yeah after that you can send the Bitcoin or Ethereum over to Bittrex for trading.

Given how fast the prices move and how volatile the market is, that's pretty unfortunate :-/

I've got a Bitcoin somewhere that I mined, in some wallet that I lost and don't have any information of it at all. Me being dumb trying to learn how all that crypto business worked many many years ago. What a dummy I was/am.

Top Bottom