• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. Was hoping it was possible we'd get another sequel at some point (assuming we had Villeneuve attached), but looks like that's not going to happen now.

faridmon

Deserved. It was a bad movie tbh. I just cannot recommend a 2.5hrs movie like that to anybody but the biggest of cyberpunk fans.

I enjoyed it, but I feel awful for asking friends to come see it with me.

From the movie podcast I was listening to said the same thing. Great visuals but an overbloated mess. Was thinking of watching it, but now I am thinking otherwise.

I mean, It's a sequel to a cult classic film that failed in the box office 35 years ago yet they gave 185 million to. A nearly 3 hour film at that. What exactly were we expecting? I'm glad it was made, but this was never going to end well.

Nokterian

I would have loved to go see it but i don't go to theaters anymore ever basically

I also go less and less..sometimes i do go when i really want like Dunkirk such an amazing experience to see it on the big screen. But overall i don't feel like going to cinema these days and i have not seen many movies this year at home.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes, it isn't a movie for everybody. It is a movie I should have gone watch alone. There isn't much of an audience for this nowadays.

So, how does it make it a bad film that deserved to bomb? Are movies only "good" and worthy of success if they're made for general audiences?

vulva

Yes, it isn't a movie for everybody. It is a movie I should have gone watch alone. There isn't much of an audience for this nowadays.

Are you insinuating my friends don't have anything better to do with their time than browsing Facebook? Did you type that while wearing your fedora?
Lmao no movie is for everybody. That's the most nothing statement imaginable.

Such a shame. Movie was great.

Nowadays, it seems like blockbuster movies are unlikely to succeed if the climax doesn't contain gc skyscrapers crumbling to the ground and entire cities literally being destroyed

I fully believe WB made this movie not expecting to make the money back theatrically but milking the shit out of it’s inevitable cult following over the next 30 years.

GREAT film by the way.

MilkBeard

Damn. Thought it would be big. Well, I will go see it, and enjoy it for what it's worth. Hopefully it will hold up a cult following (if it's as good as they say) and will make money back in time.

Sometimes you gotta just force the general public to learn to have higher standards and better taste.
Keep thrusting these movies in their face

You know...I kind of agree; today we are overloaded with too many samey comic book movies that make gangbusters. We need more movies with depth and quirkiness.

From the movie podcast I was listening to said the same thing. Great visuals but an overbloated mess. Was thinking of watching it, but now I am thinking otherwise.
If you enjoy thoughtful sci-fi, cyberpunk, and/or liked the original, it’s worth a watch.

Really disappointing, it's one of the best films of the year.

To be fair, I didn't see as much marketing for it as I would have anticipated.

Mortemis

Banned
150 mill for a sequel to a movie that only the nerdiest of the nerds watched and uphold.

What could go wrong?

I'm glad execs didn't think like this.

It sucks that it bombed sure but I'd rather we get an amazing movie that bombs than not get it at all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Up there as one of the best sequels in movie history. Maybe it will get a bit of Oscar buzz and get a second wind. Such a shame.

televator

hot take. should have been faster paced with a bit more whizbang maybe. :/

dZKkR.gif

jelly

It may have legs, reviews are great, people maybe aren't familiar with the original. Give it another few weeks and see if it turns around.

I'm glad it exists.

Are you insinuating my friends don't have anything better to do with their time than browsing Facebook? Did you type that while wearing your fedora?

It's a beret, actually. And yes, I am.

Now, if you said you felt awful for asking your friends to sit through through The Emoji Movie, Baywatch, or whatever the fuck the latest Transformers movie was called, then I would understand.

robotrock

Banned
WB must have known this was going to happen. I will spend the rest of my year sending letters to them of appreciation.

Surfinn

I think the biggest surprise is that this film was approved for 150M. No matter how good the movie was going to be, nothing would have saved it IMO. And I thought it was good.

Sad to see shit go down like this.

Though I really wanna see the totals for the weekend

MIMIC

Banned
I may go see this today (depending on if I get my laundry done, lol). Never seen the first one, but I am bored out of my mind and need to get out of the house.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So, how does it make it a bad film that deserved to bomb? Are movies only "good" and worthy of success if they're made for general audiences?

Movies can only succeed relative to the audience they are made for. I enjoyed it, but this type of movie just doesn't cut it nowadays. To be successful, while adhering to its ideals, it had to be flawless, and that it was not.

It's a beret, actually. And yes, I am.

Now, if you said you felt awful for asking your friends to sit through through The Emoji Movie, Baywatch, or whatever the fuck the latest Transformers movie was called, then I would understand.

Add Pacific Rim 2, Power Rangers, and the B-Tier superhero films to that list. We avoided all of those.

I went to see it yesterday and was pretty blown away. It was utterly flawless. I legitimately think it was visually the best movie I have ever seen. It will be a bit of a shame if it does badly at the box office, but I’m just pretty glad it exists.

God I hate people who can only take things to extremes. If this is a disaster then what was Valerian which had a bigger budget and only had a $17 million weekend total?

It's like the complete opposite of an "overbloated mess".

Yep, that's such a bad opinion I barely know how to respond to it. The plot is actually very simple, comprehensible, and relatively small given the scope of the world. It's just that it takes its time. Can't believe anyone would call 2049 bloated when we have movies like BvS that are a convoluted mess that make a billion dollars.

Blade Runner is one of those classics a lot of people think is overrated.

Cant say I am shocked a sequel maybe didnt hit the ground running. I dont think anyone expected it to be good until hearing word of mouth.

Arkeband

Banned
I can understand people being bored because they want some action shooter bang bang but that's not what Blade Runner 1 was.

It's an old-style sci-fi that takes extra time to linger on beautiful, artistic shots and makes every attempt to create a believable environment. At very few points do you ever feel like these people are acting against a green screen. I think maybe one or two scenes could have been cut, but almost everything served a purpose. The plot was very careful and logical, like the best of noir.

Ultimately it's a movie that shouldn't need big box office numbers to be seen as the art that it is. The first movie also bombed at the box office.

It's up there as one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. Also, bonus points for A+ boobs.

I think the biggest surprise is that this film was approved for 150M. No matter how good the movie was going to be, nothing would have saved it IMO. And I thought it was good.

Sad to see shit go down like this.

Though I really wanna see the totals for the weekend

$31.5 million. I seriously doubt a 3 hr sci-fi film will have legs. Like, it ain't making $100 million domestically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom