• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteSeer

saw it thursday night 11:30p preview and the theater only sold about a dozen seats. a group of four came 15min late into the movie. another guy said “that’s it?!” at the end quite loudly. transformers this movie is not.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
No worries, the rest of the world has better taste than the US anyways, we will make make sure that it at least breaks even! 👍🏼

Apharmd

yeah... I accidentally got double-charged for two tickets and was about to get a refund when I realized how empty my theater was. Like, I could count them with one hand. Had to let that shit go.

DonShula

I'm sorry what???

I literally cannot believe this. The buzz for this movie is insane! Isn't it?

Will it pick up with word of mouth? There have been plenty of films that open to $30 mil and end up grossing 200 mil or whatever.

Come on. Come onnnnnn.

I only watched the original and went to this one because this one got such good reviews. I’m surprised it’s performed so poorly.

Shoeless

My theater audience was full too, but I'm fairly certain most of the audience was well over 30 as well who were probably big fans of the first one. Didn't see much of my early/mid 20s demo.

Yeah, I noticed this in my theater as well. I was momentarily caught off guard by how much older the audience was. Basically no one in their 20s or below in the audience.

Sygma

For what its worth the movie is getting bashed in France by critics and viewers alike. Beaten by a french comedy at the box office, even

Take a look at the highest grossing movies of all time. They are hardly a representation of quality.

I just came back from Blade Runner 2049, and it a remarkably great film. Also, $30M in a weekend isn't bad. It could have actually tanked and done something like <$10M. Did Blade Runner need to make $100 opening in order to not be a 'disaster'?

duckroll

Take a look at the highest grossing movies of all time. They are hardly a representation of quality.

I just came back from Blade Runner 2049, and it a remarkably great film. Also, $30M in a weekend isn't bad. It could have actually tanked and done something like <$10M. Did Blade Runner need to make $100 opening in order to not be a 'disaster'?

The movie cost 180 million dollars.

Going to see it tonight, looking forward to it. The original is one of my favorites of all time, and I just rewatched it for the 20th time because my gf had never seen it. I'm not surprised at the lack of love, the original is a pure cult classic at best that found its audience on video. This is little better than dedicating a 100+ million budget to the new version of Tron. I don't know what these folks are thinking sometimes, but if it gives us a great film, that's fine by me.

Hot take: The movie made $13 million on a Friday. Friday the 13th is a day famous for the superstitious beliefs surrounding it, and headlines pointing out the coincidence of Blade Runner making exactly that much on that specific day of the week may provide some needed media coverage that could boost attendance through the rest of the month, turning this initial blunder into a blessing in disguise.

Amazing film. Glad to have seen it in theaters and will be buying the blu ray when it comes out.

I consider it and mad max fury road all time classics in the sci-fi genre. And regardless of box office earnings will be remembered very fondly as the years go by.

I’m glad the film exists

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Because it needed to be flawless, and that it wasn't. It has pacing problems, required you to watch a movie from 30 years ago in order to fully understand it, it doesn't develop key characters properly, it ends in a cliffhanger, it has silly plot details (they cloned Rachel, but somehow missed the eye color), etc.

So because it's not flawless (no movie is), it's bad and deserves to fail. Not sure I follow the logic.

Madness

and white-hot buzz in the film twitter bubble

That says it best, buzz in a twitter bubble. A bunch of film nerds were going crazy for it. But hardly it had the marketing or mindshare of even a Kingsman 2 or IT. I didn't see 2049 marketing the way I've seen other films. Maybe a few times I saw the trailer before other films but very rarely did I see television ads and therefore actually hear from friends and colleagues they wanted to see 2049.

I wouldn't call them awful, but Sony marketing seems to enjoy making their movies look as unappealing as possible.

sony is handling international distribution. I think this one's all on Alcon.

In fact I know a lot of hard-core science-fiction fans in my circle that have a lukewarm opinion of the original (aside from aesthetics which everyone agrees are fantastic) or have never seen it at all.

That said, this will probably find its audience in the future, much like the first did, and be revered as the classic and achievement it is.

I've said in the OT that I dont think it will. It's nothing more special than an oblivion or GITS visually. It all looks very good but it's not really doing anything that would make it a classic (imo)

Nevertheless. Going to be interesting if Villeneuve decides to roll with Sony or WB. I doubt it will affect him much as a director, he has got tons if options (-Dune).

Ninjimbo

I can't believe they tossed 150 million dollars to a Bladerunner sequel. But I'm glad. Seriously, this movie looks leagues beyond its competition that you kinda have to laugh.

Anyone see the trailer for Annihilation that came with Blade Runner? Shit looks hilariously cheap compared to BR.

Lord Fagan

Didn't matter in what way? It took 35 years for a sequel to come out.

You're right. A movie that bombed at the box office got a wildly expensive sequel decades later that sought to emulate the original's style and reach, budgets and returns be damned.

Sometimes, it's not about the money. This movie's quality is top tier for this year with some great performances and solid reviews among enough epic action sci-fi extravaganzas to count on both hands. Those flicks bring in the box office, that's why they're made the way they are.

Blade Runner ain't that kind of franchise.

kmax

The trailer was ass.

Some of the promos I'm seeing are just flat out weird.

I'm not entirely suprised at the end of the day. You need to be able to sell the film very well, and in that regard, I think they failed seeing as the movie itself was excellent. Also, that budget is insane.

Madao

i better get to see this during the week because this debut makes it look like it won't last long in cinemas.

Grenchel

Wow. Honestly, I was not expecting this to do so poorly. Audiences really don't seem to be interested in these kind of movies anymore ( or maybe they never were. Not aware of historical data)

I've said in the OT that I dont think it will. It's nothing more special than an oblivion or GITS visually. It all looks very good but it's not really doing anything that would make it a classic (imo)
What? lmao the cinematography is fantastic. Comparing it to those two is crazy.

tuxfool

Banned

Clearly whizbang would make it a classic. You're just rolling along with those garbage takes.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Jesus christ....

I'm sorry what???

I literally cannot believe this. The buzz for this movie is insane! Isn't it?

Will it pick up with word of mouth? There have been plenty of films that open to $30 mil and end up grossing 200 mil or whatever.

Come on. Come onnnnnn.
Casual movie fans went in expecting a sci-fi action movie. They got a slow noir movie and were bored. That's the word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom