• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Official Trailer

Ha--I've been thinking of that shot a lot. It reminded me of a post on Deakins old forum (that is no longer available). Someone asked him about the similar shot in Blade Runner and how he thinks they did it:

You could also crumple up Mylar or a CTO gel. The effect in 'Blade Runner' looks as if it were a light bouncing off a piece of crumpled gel that is being gently wafted but it could also be light bouncing of broken pieces of mirror in a shallow pool of water. The latter was a trick that was popular at the time 'Blade Runner' was made.

You can get a similar effect by crunching up a space blanket and projecting a fresnel lamp into it as it 'unwraps'.

Funny to look back on that, which was 4-5 years ago.

Also, fun note: Bradford Young (young DP whose style is reminiscent of Deakins; he shot Arrival) is a big Tarkovsky fan, specifically Nostalghia. He said the texture of the images in that movie were a big influence on him.

So I got this trailer during my showing of Wonder Woman and it got easily the most audible response from the crowd (this was a trailer lineup that included included Justice League and Spider-Man) and the reaction to Harrison Ford was rapturous.

It could easily have just been this crowd, but general audiences might be hotter to see this than many think.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So I got this trailer during my showing of Wonder Woman and it got easily the most audible response from the crowd (this was a trailer lineup that included included Justice League and Spider-Man) and the reaction to Harrison Ford was rapturous.

It could easily have just been this crowd, but general audiences might be hotter to see this than many think.
Saw this twice. No one cared for Ford.

So are this movie and the first still somehow set within the same universe as Alien?

Never.

Maybe you're thinking about Soldier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_(1998_American_film)

Soldier was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the script for Blade Runner. Peoples considers Soldier to be a "spin-off sidequel"-spiritual successor to Blade Runner, seeing both films as existing in a shared fictional universe.[4] The film obliquely refers to various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick (who wrote the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof. A Spinner from Blade Runner can be seen in the wreckage on a junk planet in the film.[5]

Top Bottom