• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

BizzyBum

Finished with the good ending at 9 hours. Thoroughly enjoyed it although it was pretty easy overall. Still fun to explore and collect everything and feel like I definitely got my money's worth.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still chipping away at this and enjoying it. Saved at the start of Area 6 last time.

dimmer

Finished it with all weapon and health upgrades and still got the bad ending.what did i miss? A map perhaps? Is it required too?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anybody out there pick up the 3DS version?

I'm struggling with whether I want to get it on 3DS or Switch.

3DS seems like the better choice due to the bottom screen usage and portability, but I want it on Switch just to feel the HD Rumble stuff, which I haven't been able to experience yet.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Anybody out there pick up the 3DS version?

I'm struggling with whether I want to get it on 3DS or Switch.

3DS seems like the better choice due to the bottom screen usage and portability, but I want it on Switch just to feel the HD Rumble stuff, which I haven't been able to experience yet.

The 3DS version runs at 30 frames, like GunVolt. I personally can't abide 2D games at sub-60, so Switch it had to be.

Eusis

The 3DS version runs at 30 frames, like GunVolt. I personally can't abide 2D games at sub-60, so Switch it had to be.
Yeah, heard about that. Slight pixel issues >>> 30 FPS for a game like this. Wouldn't feel much like a (good) NES game otherwise.

dock

New hard difficulty mode and FREE* ex-mode character DLC! (*for a 2 week period, then it becomes paid for at $1.99 per character)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyxmTv281pg

edit - Demo is coming for Switch too

Ha, that trailer video is 720p, so it looks better than the Switch visuals.

Let's see whether the image quality is still a huge mess on the Switch after the update. I still didn't play past the first stage because of the scaling problems.

duckroll

Cool. I'm still playing through this slowly. It's a pretty average game and there's no challenge whatsoever once you get the spark attack weapon, but eh, it's entertaining enough when I'm on a bus.

Regarding the ending...
I did not expect to feel like shit. Wow, that came out of nowhere, and really hit me in the face. Her blowing herself up was not what I expected at all, in the slightest.

You need to go back to each world, clear each boss, get every life upgrade, then challenge the end boss again.

If you picked up a map for each world you should see everything you need to do there.
I could have sworn I'd done this, but there are a few missing pieces of my map in one area. This is the game that keeps on giving.

Oh shit, the demo is just what I needed. I've been on the fence since the game launched.

Really, really looking forward to it.

EDIT: Hold on, is the demo also going to be available in Europe today? I'd rather not make regional accounts since I haven't needed it thus far.

Am I going crazy or does Blaster Master Zero need some visual tweaking? I play nearly exclusively in Switch portable mode and all the pixels art looks incorrectly stretched out and blurry on the Switch screen. What resolution does this game run on?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished this up. Powered through Areas 7-9 this evening and got the good ending. I'd taken my time, so thankfully I didn't have to backtrack as I hadn't missed anything.

Solid 8/10 game for me. Don't think I care to replay with DLC characters etc. as it bordered on overstatyng it's welcome (final save is at 10 hours 40 minutes, though I have some idle time) and I was happy to get it done. Liked that it was mostly easy as I would never have finished it if it was hard. I suck at retro games so I still died enough to not just blaze through every dungeon.

mrk8885

Banned
Beat it with true ending today. Didn't know there was a true ending until I came here a few minutes ago but that's what I got. Just played it thoroughly.

Loved this game though it was a bit easy

duckroll

This game is longer than I expected. Got to... I think Area 8 now. It's really easy on Normal, but I'm dig that it attempts to have more creative design for levels and bosses towards the end here.

dock

Am I going crazy or does Blaster Master Zero need some visual tweaking? I play nearly exclusively in Switch portable mode and all the pixels art looks incorrectly stretched out and blurry on the Switch screen. What resolution does this game run on?
Correct. The scaling makes the art blurry and pixels irregular. I've complained lots about it in this thread.

@MUWANdo

Banned

It's a mix of software and hardware scaling... yes, it's gross, no, I can't explain why they've made no attempts to change it.

RM8

The demo convinced me to buy it on 3DS to be honest. I'll miss 60fps but the pixels are perfect on the 3DS screen and I just can't imagine playing what I've played without a d-pad.

Played the demo today and holy shit, It's amazing. I fell in love instantly. Will buy as soon as I'm home later today.

Hopefully they'll get on Gunvolt for Switch after the DLC for this one is out. I need it so badly.

jonno394

Played the demo today and holy shit, It's amazing. I fell in love instantly. Will buy as soon as I'm home later today.

Hopefully they'll get on Gunvolt for Switch after the DLC for this one is out. I need it so badly.

Yeah that's what i'm hoping for too, the 3DS games look great! Inti Creates will be announcing two new games at Bit Summit may 20/21/

derFeef

Demo was a lot of fun, I still can't decide if I should get this or Wonder Boy. It's silly considering the price I know, but my Switch time is limited.

zigg

Demo was a lot of fun, I still can't decide if I should get this or Wonder Boy. It's silly considering the price I know, but my Switch time is limited.
Nah, that's pretty reasonable.

Stick it on your wish list and come back to it when you have a lull, that's what I'm doing.

(also I guess you can buy the DLC without buying the game so do that too while it's free)

dock

We should contact Inti Creates while they're still working on the game. Going to tweet and email them ASAP.
I did this, but they ignored me. I guess they won't address it for some unknown reason, probably that too few people care about the problem, as witnessed by some people on this thread.

I did this, but they ignored me. I guess they won't address it for some unknown reason, probably that too few people care about the problem, as witnessed by some people on this thread.

I'm withholding my purchase until it is hopefully fixed. Non integer scaling is too funky for me. I check here every now and again to see if it's been patched. I am glad that so many people are enjoying it though. The original one is great

MouldyK

(also I guess you can buy the DLC without buying the game so do that too while it's free)

That is something I just found out you can do. Pretty neat really!

Means I can hold off on getting the game for now, but I will get to it eventually.

Kyuur

Finished the game at 7.5 hours!

It really picked up in the last 2 areas, tons of fun. If the entire game had played more like those areas I'd be willing to say it was a great game. Overall, it was sort of average: not bad but not fantastic. Too easy, especially most bosses (most killed in a few seconds on first attempt). The couple secrets that are there are cool but far and few between. Jason's fall damage is ridiculously high compared to how high he jumps to begin with. On a platform less than half his height off the ground? Better not jump off it. Using the analog stick had me missing ladders, repeatedly accidentally entering/exiting areas and diagonal shooting in the top-down areas was a crap shoot.

The switching between Sophia and Jason was definitely a neat mechanic though, the story was serviceable and the pixel art beautiful. HD Rumble felt good and most of the upgrades and weapons had their uses throughout the game. There were a couple of good boss fights too:
Glacier-area bosses actually encouraged you to use something other than the final wave-beam esque weapon, the two-part Area 8 "final boss" and the last fight against Sophia that felt kind of like fighting the Black Knight in Shovel Knight!

The hard mode goes way too fucking overboard. I don't think the upgrade weapons do ANYTHING to enemies in top down.
I tried the hard mode for a bit and I agree with this. It's ironic because I thought the normal mode was too easy. I guess they were having trouble finding a balance. Still, I did a 100% run on normal mode and it was fun.

In the top down sections in hard mode, I find myself running out of special weapons too quickly, and then I can't upgrade my gun because I'm constantly taking damage from the enemies that I can't destroy because I run out of specials.

Lyrian

The hard mode goes way too fucking overboard. I don't think the upgrade weapons do ANYTHING to enemies in top down.

I tried the hard mode for a bit and I agree with this. It's ironic because I thought the normal mode was too easy. I guess they were having trouble finding a balance. Still, I did a 100% run on normal mode and it was fun.

In the top down sections in hard mode, I find myself running out of special weapons too quickly, and then I can't upgrade my gun because I'm constantly taking damage from the enemies that I can't destroy because I run out of specials.

There is hard, there is Dark Souls hard, and there is masochist hard.

Destroyer mode falls squarely into masochist, or "I Want to Be the Guy" territory.

Mandatory defeating stage bosses with only the level 0 gun is not fun at all.

selo

Just finished this 100% in about 8 hrs as well. It was pretty enjoyable, but a little too easy if you had your gun all leveled up.

Well worth the 10 bucks, not sure I'll replay it anytime soon, but it was fun while it lasted.

I struggled a bit with a few items

The room in level 3 above the area boss, I had to crouch but it never occurred to me until after I got the bad end . "oooh I forgot to try this!" And yeah, went back and that worked

Top Bottom