• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

MouldyK

Got to Last Boss in 9hrs 40mins and beat it like 1 minute after.

Playing the game in Handheld Mode for over 50% of the time made me appreciate the Nintendo Switch more than Zelda, Fast RMX, Voez, King of Fighters '98, Metal Slug, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart COMBINED. Such an amazing experience for Bed, Bus and Lunch Room.

About the difficulty: While it was quite easy at parts and only harder in the later Areas and when you don't have the Wave Gun or at least the Lightning in Top-Down...I love Kirby Games so it didn't detract from my fun.

Destroyer Mode sounds too brutal to be fun, but I will probably hop in every now and again for a DLC Character Playthrough.

As others stated though, will probably take a break from it for a bit though. Got to try getting through Adventure Mode on PPT now.

EDIT: Wait...Gunvolt don't have fall damage?! That's gonna be a fun thing to look forward to later!

I've only got a little over an hour playtime so far. I just met up with
Eve
. This game is pretty rad so far! I'm digging the gameplay, and the look of it.

Dan-o

Yeah, even if you've explored the entire map, you still need to pick up the maps from each area. And it won't be "visible" on your map (by a marker, which only appear after you have the maps, I believe) so... it could be hard to figure out which one you're missing.
Also, I think you have to beat all bosses, even the lower-level ones.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just heard about this game today. Can't believe I missed the announcement. I may have to pick it up for my 3DS.

OmegaFax

I am digging the pink Sophia that you have with the Ekoro DLC.

I think I like Gunvolt better overall. Ekoro does have a few unique advantages in the top-down section like a a "wave beam" style charge shot. I haven't had a lot of time to play the game as her character since getting the DLC off of the Japanese eShop last night.

The pink Sophia is really cool.

Currently working my way thru this- in Area 3

Game is all types of wonderful other than the difficulty being a bit too on the casual side.... though, considering i'm also playing Nioh, I REALLY don't mind actually (^____^)

Def one of the best games on Switch next to Wonder Boy

zigg

I really liked playing through the regular game, but neither DLC character is working for me.

Between this and hard mode being impossible, I think my conclusion is that this game was a good package originally and really didn't need these updates.

Regiruler

Hard mode gets a little better once you're at the third area.

It really bothers me though that they changed where the powerups are. It messes up the theming of the powerups.

I bought this at launch but have now been getting into it. It's quite good, and hits that old-school but not super frustrating itch, kinda like Cave Story for me (which I may pick up again tomorrow too). I keep forgetting you can strafe though lol.

I'm playing with the joycon "d-pad." I played through Specter of Torment with that; it's really not that bad IMO.

Opa-Pa

Finally started this last night. I've never played the original (shame on me), but always wanted to and Inti Creates are great so I had to give it a shot.

I made it to the third stage and it's a lot of fun! Music is unbelievably good too, damn, especially in the overhead sections.

I do wish it was a bit harder though... Is hard mode unlockable? I'd rather have access to it from the get go.

And yes, Shantar and Shovel Knight definitely motivated me to start it too, haha.

So uh

I somehow wound up with a digital copy of Blaster Master Zero on my Switch

I never bought it on there (I did on 3DS) and it doesn't seem to be the demo

Help

Nah, I go into the eShop screen and it says I purchased it

But I know I didn't! I did buy Mighty Gunvolt Burst, maybe that had something to do with it? *shrugs*

Damnit, same here. Completely forgot about it.

Still jaded that I ended up getting the bad ending.

Just finished it this morning and yeah, I found out afterward that I got the bad ending :(

Guess you literally have to get EVERYTHING as well as explore the entire map, huh?

Interestingly, I ended up toggling between d-pad and stick. I found the stick was nicer for overhead areas.

Did the same thing. D-Pad for SOPHIA and Analog for Top-down segments :)

Th-the others have hidden abilities? To be honest, I haven't gotten very far as GV or Ekoro yet...

You should notice a missing slot on the character status screen. So far, every EX character has one obtainable ability and it's been located in the upper right of the starting area. You need the wall upgrade to reach that spot, so you won't have access to it until later in the game.

EDIT: Apparently, Shantae's is hidden in Area 5. They're switching things up.

You should notice a missing slot on the character status screen. So far, every EX character has one obtainable ability and it's been located in the upper right of the starting area. You need the wall upgrade to reach that spot, so you won't have access to it until later in the game.

Hmm. Remind me, where is Wall Cling, anyway?

NeonZ

I wish Shantae had some ability to attack upwards while in monkey form (to break ice). Her standard jump is too small. She has to go back to the Sophia in order to progress way too often, which kind of hurts the replay value since one of the best parts about the extra characters is attempting to go through the side-scrolling segments with minimal Sophia use.

Top Bottom