• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM supporter breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
A photograph of a candle in memory of fallen police officers and other images of racial solidarity appeared on the Facebook page of a Missouri man on Saturday afternoon.

Hours later, the man was dead, after a Facebook exchange between the man and a police officer over the Black Lives Matter movement turned into a fatal face-to-face encounter, a relative said.

The St. Louis County Police Department said that on Saturday, just before 6 p.m., the man, Tyler Gebhard, 20, broke into the house of a relative of one of its officers, who shot him. Mr. Gebhard had “made a series of threats” before going to the house, the police said. “These threats were from the suspect to the family as well as uninvolved members of the community.”

The police did not give details about the threats. But Mr. Gebhard’s uncle, Patrick Brogan, said that the two were friends on Facebook and that they had clashed recently online over Mr. Gebhard’s support of Black Lives Matter, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

“He walked over there and into a gunfight,” Mr. Brogan was quoted as saying, drawing on accounts offered by friends of his nephew.

The police said in a statement over the weekend that the two men knew each other from a church group. When Mr. Gebhard showed up at the house of the officer’s relative in Lakeshire, St. Louis County, he repeatedly rang the doorbell, banged on windows and doors and demanded to enter.

He then went to the backyard, picked up a large, concrete planter and threw it through a rear door, shattering it, the statement said. He went inside, where the officer’s wife, mother-in-law and two children had barricaded themselves in a room.

The off-duty officer was also inside, and gave a series of verbal commands to Mr. Gebhard, which he ignored, the police said.

“Fearing for his life and the lives of the others in the home, the off-duty officer shot the suspect,” the police said. The newspaper quoted the police as saying that the officer said “get down, get down, get down” before firing.

It's also important to note though that the attacker had bi-polar disorder, according to his uncle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...-is-shot-dead-by-officer-during-break-in.html

Not like this, people.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What the hell man? That's not how to intact change.

If he suffered from bipolar disorder, I can see how it could escalate. I have family and friends that suffer from bipolar disorder. Just terrible.

BibiMaghoo

That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.

Azzanadra

Talk about undermining your own movement.

Yet, the same old people will generalize a whole group for this and likewise, the rise of the far right will only continue, for nuance and individualism is lost upon the masses these days.

Tragic, but unacceptable. It's a hot time for everybody right now, and breaking and entering is never a good ideas.

If you want change, we need unity, not stupid shit like this.

Getting real tired of seeing this word in every thread as if somehow the people who have been victimized over police violence and injustice somehow need to be doing something different to get their oppressors to sympathize with them.

It takes two sides to unify, and you can't force the other side to do it. Stop saying this. It's empty phrasing.

Fake edit:

Oh, so he was bi-polar as well. This is like, every single thing that could have gone wrong going wrong at once.

SilentRob

I have an honest question - I do not live in the US, so please excuse my ignorance.

What does "BLM supporter" exactly mean? Black Lives Matter is a civil rights movement fighting for equality as far as I understand. Isn't...everyone who is not a racist supporter of inequality a Black Lives Matter supporter? Is that not a thing? I heard of some crazy people trying to attack BLM with this "All Lives Matter" bullshit but I always figured that was just the racist drivel of a few people you always hear of...and here we have a cop arguing with someone about the validity of BLM? Isn't that on itself kinda bad news?

But also, wow dude, way to prove some asshole's point by doing this. What the fuck. EDIT: Oh, he was mentally ill? Everything about this is terrible.

That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.

It's not that easy to even hit a moving target at close range. It almost sounds like he shot through the door they were barricaded behind but the story isn't clear.

HeySeuss

I have a honest question - I do not live in the US, so please excuse my ignorance.

What does "BLM supporter" exactly mean? Black Lives Matter is a civil rights movement fighting for equality as far as I understand. Isn't...everyone who is not a racist supporter of inequality a Black Lives Matter supporter? Is that not a thing? I heard of some crazy people trying to attack BLM with this "All Lives Matter" bullshit but I always figured that was just the racist drivel of a few people you always hear of...and here we have a cop arguing with someone about the validity of BLM? Isn't that on itself kinda bad news?

But also, wow dude, way to prove some asshole's point by doing this. What the fuck.

In my experience it means any black person that even remotely questions that police could do anything better than what they do now.

That's what it seems to mean more often than not. Hell pretty much any black person that dares stand up for themselves really.

Slayven

I can see a trend, any black person caught up in some shit they will comb through his history and try to link them to BLM. Kind of how they look for pics of black dudes throwing gang signs. Just another why to try to discredit the movement.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
You can kinda tell by going on his Facebook. This is a sad situation. Some posts are supporting cops, some are showing white people and black people hold hands, and some are:

"We winning this race war bitches cause the playing fields have been leveled"

I don't know if this is appropriate or not to post, if not please delete this. I didn't link to his facebook or take screens because I thought it might be a bit much.

Poor dude. Poor cop as well. To have to do that, he pretty much had his hand forced.

In my experience it means any black person that even remotely questions that police could do anything better than what they do now.

That's what it seems to mean more often than not. Hell pretty much any black person that dares stand up for themselves really.

The argument over the movement is what started the incident in the first place. Omit that fact and you're wondering why he broke into a random police officers home and confronted them.

Slayven

The argument over the movement is what started the incident in the first place. Omit that fact and you're wondering why he broke into a random police officers home and confronted them.

Random?

But Mr. Gebhard’s uncle, Patrick Brogan, said that the two were friends on Facebook and that they had clashed recently online over Mr. Gebhard’s support of Black Lives Matte

The police said in a statement over the weekend that the two men knew each other from a church group.

Article isn't that long, it was in the first 3 paragraphs

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the BLM stuff was the least of the issue

Yeah, but a title like "Bipolar man breaks into cop's house after BLM argument; gets shot dead" wouldn't get as many clicks. Gotta make sure to keep the bipolar bit out of the headline, would go against the narrative.

Even the article is guilty of this.

Missouri Man Is Shot Dead by Officer During Break-In After Black Lives Matter Dispute

Kuroyume

Banned
I can see a trend, any black person caught up in some shit they will comb through his history and try to link them to BLM. Kind of how they look for pics of black dudes throwing gang signs. Just another why to try to discredit the movement.

That tends to happen any time anyone commits a crime. Do they have a criminal record? If they committed a hate crime, is their a history of them saying racist things on social media, etc.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
This guy had bipolar disorder but that's most likely going to be ignored because painting BLM in a negative light is more important. Nevermind the fact it says the guy threatened other members of BLM as well.

Gattsu25

Banned
OP, why did you change the article title so much?

"NYT: MO Man Is Shot Dead by Officer During Break-In After Black Lives Matter Dispute" fits into the thread title and is much closer to the original than what you have in there.

An alternate thread title that seems more appropriate to the OP's framing is "(((BLM supporter))) breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead" which also fits.
This guy had bipolar disorder but that's most likely going to be ignored because painting BLM in a negative light is more important. Nevermind the fact it says the guy threatened other members of BLM as well.

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

This is a very ignorant stance to take. would you call someone who reposts news stories about trump, or argues on Facebook for trump a "trump supporter"?

The term is very general but its appropriate for the story - a disagreement online sparked the face to face confrontation, unfortunately. That the subject of the disagreement was BLM is merely a fact of the story being reported. Unless you think that this should be omitted for some reason. What reason?

Protein

Banned
Apparently, every black man that argues in favor of BLM, posts a status about BLM on Twitter/Facebook, or even mentions BLM... is now a full-fledged BLM supporter.

Right-wing news: SEE. THEYRE ALL A BUNCHA CRIMINALS AND THUGS!

Nephtis

I feel bad for the cop that had to do that. His hand was forced.

What kind of pisses me off is that Gebhard's illness isn't mentioned until at least halfway through the article.

Slayven

This is a very ignorant stance to take. would you call someone who reposts news stories about trump, or argues on Facebook for trump a "trump supporter"?

The term is very general but its appropriate for the story - a disagreement online sparked the face to face confrontation, unfortunately. That the subject of the disagreement was BLM is merely a fact of the story being reported. Unless you think that this should be omitted for some reason. What reason?

NYT: MO Man Is Shot Dead by Officer During Break-In After Black Lives Matter Dispute

is a better title, not much better, but better

: BLM supporter breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead Reply to Thread
Is a breitbart tag line

"NYT: MO Man Is Shot Dead by Officer During Break-In After Black Lives Matter Dispute" fits into the thread title and is much closer to the original than what you have in there.

An alternate thread title that seems more appropriate to the OP's framing is "(((BLM supporter))) breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead" which also fits.

I feel bad for the cop that had to do that. His hand was forced.

What kind of pisses me off is that Gebhard's illness isn't mentioned until at least halfway through the article.

It should be a bigger focus of the article and in the headline for sure. It seems like an attempt to capitalize on the recent events, not a good look for the times on this story..

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Random?

Article isn't that long, it was in the first 3 paragraphs

I think that's just semantics. The motive was anger about an argument over BLM, and without that argument there's no motive. AKA randomly busting into a cops house.

It'll be brought up, there's nothing we can do about that. It's just unfortunate that that will be very much exploited by right wing media.

Syder

giphy.gif

Nephtis

It's something like 75% of the way through.

It should be a bigger focus of the article and in the headline for sure. It seems like an attempt to capitalize on the recent events, not a good look for the times on this story..

Yeah. In my opinion, the whole thing had less to do with the guy supporting BLM and more to do with his bi-polar illness. It should have been right there on the first sentence of the article. Something like,

"Gebhard, a BLM supported who suffered from bi-polar disorder, was shot and killed by off duty police officer after breaking in"

I mean, it's not that hard, and you get it out of the way that the dude was both and not have to wait until way down to see that "oh by the way, he was bipolar" after you've already gotten all kinds of pissed off. Seriously, that article is shitty and the author should be ashamed.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yeah, but a title like "Bipolar man breaks into cop's house after BLM argument; gets shot dead" wouldn't get as many clicks. Gotta make sure to keep the bipolar bit out of the headline, would go against the narrative.

Even the article is guilty of this.

I didn't mean to come off as sensationalist but either way, this was a grave mistake on my part because I at the moment I made this thread, I was more concerned on putting this news up before carefully considering framing for a very heavy issue in terms of a thread title such as this one so both of you still have a point.

Therefore, I sincerely apologize for this and if the mods out there feel it needs to be changed then please do.

KyleCross

This is something easier said than done, sadly. Pinpoint shooting someone in the shoulder or the leg all the while you're going through an emotional rollercoaster with someone moving in on you isn't really practical. Plus, people are trained to shoot to kill. If you have to discharge your weapon you're suppose to with the full intent on killing, that's why gunfire is a last resort (or at least... suppose to be).

glow

Banned
Mental illness doesn't belong in the article headline just like BLM doesn't belong in it. This was a simple, tragic incident that doesn't need to be politicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom