• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM supporter breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.
Because "shoot to incapacitate" isn't really a thing. I wish it was, but trying to shoot someone not center mass just means you are more likely to miss.

SaviourMK2

giphy.gif

j0hnnix

So much death in 2016... When will all this get better for everyone. It's getting ridiculous from all sides.

wildfire

Banned
It sickens me that they knew each other through a church group. My opinion on the cops actions hinges heavily on whether or not his family knew the attacker was bipolar.

Volimar

Bi-polar disorder doesn't necessarily make you commit crimes.

But it can vastly alter your personality. My sister deals with what's called rapid cycling. Manic in the morning and borderline suicidal in the evening. She had to switch medications and ended up in the hospital from watching a movie and deciding she should probably kill herself. Now there's someone with her 24/7 for the next couple of weeks while we hope for the new medication to work. It's pretty rough.

Matt

It sickens me that they knew each other through a church group. My opinion on the cops actions hinges heavily on whether or not his family knew the attacker was bipolar.
...Why? Obviously it's tragic that this happened, and that seemingly this man did not receive the proper care for his condition, but whether or not the cop know he was bipolar doesn't change the immediate threat he seemed to represent to the cop's family.

The Beard

I can see a trend, any black person caught up in some shit they will comb through his history and try to link them to BLM. Kind of how they look for pics of black dudes throwing gang signs. Just another why to try to discredit the movement.

News outlets intentionally do this shit all the time. They do it because it puts more eyeballs on their articles/websites. People really need to stop falling for it.

Imagine if they didn't mention BLM at all. No one would give a shit about this story. At best it would've been on the local 10pm newscast, and quickly forgotten hours later. But they look for ways to position it as an "us vs. them / them vs. us" story, because it gets people riled up.

Sax1031

Banned

mental illness doesn't give you cover to not only make threats to someone but come to their house and violently invade it.

very sad situation though.

Mental illness doesn't belong in the article headline just like BLM doesn't belong in it. This was a simple, tragic incident that doesn't need to be politicized.

Exposing people to how serious and deadly bipolar disorder can be if left untreated is worth mentioning it.

Shame a man died, but the officer did everything he needed to in that situation. Glad he did not lose his life as well.

With strong mental health support, it may not have come to this.

That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.

Not obligated too

Anyone who forcefully enters a private property with intent to confront, intimidate or harm gets whatever they deserve

Why should this man take any chances, shoot to kill, protect your loved ones

glow

Banned
Exposing people to how serious and deadly bipolar disorder can be if left untreated is worth mentioning it.

I know this firsthand unfortunately, I suffer from bipolar. I hate the stigma and news like this thread doesnt help.

You are right though, awareness and treatment are important.

Dr.Acula

Banned

It's the law. Some lady went to jail for firing a warning shot. If you fire warning shots, or shoot someone in an extremity, you're admitting you didn't feel as if you were in mortal danger because you were able to take a non-lethal action. And you aren't allowed to defend yourself with a gun unless you're in mortal danger. It's because a gun is always a lethal weapon, because a bullet will fragment when it hits bone and pieces can ricochet inside your body, travel up arteries into the heart, sever arteries and bleed you out, etc.

Basically, wounding someone can end up as murder and murder can end up as self-defense.

Good god what is happening in the U.S.

Breaking into a police officers house was going to end in a disaster.

edit:

He was mentally ill? That's doubly sad.

geez.

RIP

Dr.Acula

Banned
Shame a man died, but the officer did everything he needed to in that situation. Glad he did not lose his life as well.

With strong mental health support, it may not have come to this.

The most shocking thing is that it was a cop -the kind of people we should expect to have training on dealing with people in crisis.

Whether it's a mentally ill man braking into a house, a concealed carrier attempting to identify himself, or a shooter barricaded in a garage, the answer always seems to be "I feared for my safety -that dude had to go." There doesn't seem to be any willingness to not just kill people as the most convenient solution to a problem.

Matt

The most shocking thing is that it was a cop -the kind of people we should expect to have training on dealing with people in crisis.

Whether it's a mentally ill man braking into a house, a concealed carrier attempting to identify himself, or a shooter barricaded in a garage, the answer always seems to be "I feared for my safety -that dude had to go." There doesn't seem to be any willingness to not just kill people as the most convenient solution to a problem.
Nothing about this situation indicates the cop acted rashly. If anything it SEEMS like he used a lot of restraint. What else was he supposed to do in this situation?

Guevara

There's a point at which, whatever you're arguing about just isn't that important and you need to let it go. Agree to disagree, change the subject, whatever.

karasu

But it can vastly alter your personality. My sister deals with what's called rapid cycling. Manic in the morning and borderline suicidal in the evening. She had to switch medications and ended up in the hospital from watching a movie and deciding she should probably kill herself. Now there's someone with her 24/7 for the next couple of weeks while we hope for the new medication to work. It's pretty rough.

Yeah I deal with it myself. But constantly mentioning it like its the reason he committed the crime only deepens the stigma against mental illness. Being bipolar doesn't turn you into a criminal.

The Beard

I don't care who you are, or what kind of training you have, if a grown man breaks into your home with intent to do harm to you or your family, shooting him is 100% acceptable in that situation.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nothing about this situation indicates the cop acted rashly. If anything it SEEMS like he used a lot of restraint. What else was he supposed to do in this situation?

That's exactly my point.

A man was shot to death and the first reaction is "well, what could be done?"

It's always the first recourse in the US today.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
THis guy and the shooter had mental disorders...mental health really is an issue that we are not addressing period

Matt

That's exactly my point.

A man was shot to death and the first reaction is "well, what could be done?"

It's always the first recourse in the US today.
The man was actively threatening the cop and his family. He had violently broken into their home. He was, based on every indicator this officer had, an imminent threat. And the cop did try to talk the man down, did shelter his family inside one room in the house to keep them safe. His fist recourse was NOT, in fact, to shoot this man.

This situation doesn't seem to have anything in common with the others you mentioned.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sounds like the shooting unfortunately was justified in the sense that lives may have been in serious danger one way or another. Throwing a concrete block through the window is nuts. This is unfortunate, but honestly I expect this from both sides with how tense everything has gotten. This IMO lies entirely on the shoulders of the guys up top in the department's who continue to defend or protect their own even when it's clear they were wrong. Also the systematic racism and psychological profiling to hire aggressive over the top, trigger happy individuals.

glow

Banned
Ah okay. I've never been very good at reading bipolar severity.

It manifests differently from person to person, episode to episode and external factors play into behavior. Manic episodes don't necessarily mean you're visibly wilding out. It's a difficult illness to comprehend, sometimes even if you have it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The man was actively threatening the cop and his family. He had violently broken into their home. He was, based on every indicator this officer had, an imminent threat. And the cop did try to talk the man down, did shelter his family inside one room in the house to keep them safe. His fist recourse was NOT, in fact, to shoot this man.

This situation doesn't seem to have anything in common with the others you mentioned.

Yes, the verbal account of the police officer which is not being disputed by the police certainly paints a picture that killing the suspect was the only singular outcome to this problem. Case closed, self-defense, justifiable homicide. There is a systemic unwillingness to even entertain the idea of a preventable shooting. Someone's always mentally ill, an imminent threat, reaching, disobeying commands, it goes on and on. In the USA, killing someone is seen as a solution more often than as a problem.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yes, the verbal account of the police officer which is not being disputed by the police certainly paints a picture that killing the suspect was the only singular outcome to this problem. Case closed, self-defense, justifiable homicide. There is a systemic unwillingness to even entertain the idea of a preventable shooting. Someone's always mentally ill, an imminent threat, reaching, disobeying commands, it goes on and on. In the USA, killing someone is seen as a solution more often than as a problem.

I mean, he made threats on Facebook right in plain view. I understand the skepticism, but let's not pretend their isn't confirmation bias on both sides.

Matt

Once again, this man broke into the cop's house, after making threats against him. You are acting as if this situation is comparable others when it is not.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I mean, he made threats on Facebook right in plain view. I understand the skepticism, but let's not pretend their isn't confirmation bias on both sides.

There is a notion of "perfect victimhood" where victims are torn apart in public opinion or in court for inconsistent behavior or some perceived character flaw. There isn't this culture when it comes to justifiable homicide. Even in the most disgusting outlier cases like the shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, as long as the shooter is acting in self-defense, it's okay (this one failed in the court of public opinion, and it still passed in the court of law). No one in the USA even blinks when someone who is acting "crazy" or "violent" is shot.

Once again, this man broke into the cop's house, after making threats against him. You are acting as if this situation is comparable others when it is not.

Every situation is justifiable it seems like.

Brakke

Banned
So in other words it could easily read St. Louis Blues fan breaks in house and the headline would be as relevant.

This was a fight between two people. Could have been about anything

But it wasn't about St Louis Blues. Dude had an argument about Black Lives Matter with the guy he attacked shortly before attacking him.

Matt

There is a notion of "perfect victimhood" where victims are torn apart in public opinion or in court for inconsistent behavior or some perceived character flaw. There isn't this culture when it comes to justifiable homicide. Even in the most disgusting outlier cases like the shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, as long as the shooter is acting in self-defense, it's okay (this one failed in the court of public opinion, and it still passed in the court of law). No one in the USA even blinks when someone who is acting "crazy" or "violent" is shot.

This is not the situation to make this argument. This man was violent, this man did make threats, this man broke into a house with children in it. Saying "that's what they always say" is completely irrelevant.

Unless you are suggesting that this entire event was staged (which you have no evidence for), I don't know what else there is to say. There are lots of unjustified shooting that cops are involved with, but this does not seem like one of them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Again you're doing the same thing here in reverse. When people as you say "reach" to justify something, it could be that you're reaching to paint every single officer as a racist psychopath.

The guy didn't need his name tarnished in the court of public opinion, he did that himself by making written threats on facebook, then showing up at that persons house to back those threats up, including breaking into the persons house in a seemingly psychotic break. Bad things happen, this man needed mental help and it appears he was tending to it, but apparently not keeping up with his meds, which is DEVASTATING to an individual with bi-polar.

There is an inherent difference here between those situations. I'm not guaranteeing everything said is truthful yet, but there's quite a bit here that backs up the story, and when you go to a persons house looking for a fight and then forcing your way in, you're asking for serious trouble. Not to mention his support of the shootings in dallas is actually Detrimental to the movement he claimed to support so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom