• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

2AdEPT

This looks pretty cool. Never played Dark Souls 1 or 2 and would like to give one of them a whirl before this is released. Which should I play?

I posted a lengthy reply to this type of query on the previous page. I would try Demons' Souls if you think you dont require help ( I am not sure how much traffic there is for multiplayer nowadays.) It was the first and in many ways best souls game and will provide you with the basic skill set of what will help you with the rest including bloodborne. The Twer of Latria level was the level which inspired the setting for Bllodborne and many consider the best art directed level in the series. There will be several easter eggs from Demons' in bloodborne, but not from DS1 and 2 because it is a different publisher. You really cant go wrong with any of the games however, but a final thought it is that Demon's is free on PS+, Dark is cheap and best on steam with beautiful graphics and 60FPS, and ds2 is more expensive, but will stil have lots of trafic for multiplayer in all areas. You will still get some traffic in all games, but likley more in ds2.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ring of Dark is in DS1 is called the Darksign in the English version of the game. Just in case anyone is getting confused.

According to a video released yesterday by IGN, Bold Hunter's Marks are like consumable rings of sacrifice.

I guess they do have a homeward bone like effect if you suicide yourself though.

Ah yes, Darksign. Thanks for the correction!

Thanks too for the heads-up about the video. I skimmed past it thinking it was the same initial 18 mins of gameplay (which it is, but with commentary from the SCEJ producer).

If anyone missed it, check it out here.

The Hunter's Mask is an infinite-use item, acting like the Dark Ring in DS. You forfeit currently held Blood Echoes and return to the Dream Refuge (or last lamp you lit, can't remember).

Early game Doll spoiler:
She wakes up and provides access to levelling once you've encountered Cleric Beast (first boss).

As mentioned above, you do lose your Blood Echoes.

The doll bit is cool to hear. Was wondering how that would be handled. Also corrected the eye bit. Not sure where I got the red from (Blood transfusion?).

And this is Yamagiwa's words:

She gave me a Bold Hunter's Mark as a token of gift.

This handy item allows you to reawaken at a lamp after dying, without losing your Blood Echoes.

Not the mask :p

Teknoman

I posted a lengthy reply to this type of query on the previous page. I would try Demons' Souls if you think you dont require help ( I am not sure how much traffic there is for multiplayer nowadays.) It was the first and in many ways best souls game and will provide you with the basic skill set of what will help you with the rest including bloodborne. The Twer of Latria level was the level which inspired the setting for Bllodborne and many consider the best art directed level in the series. There will be several easter eggs from Demons' in bloodborne, but not from DS1 and 2 because it is a different publisher. You really cant go wrong with any of the games however, but a final thought it is that Demon's is free on PS+, Dark is cheap and best on steam with beautiful graphics and 60FPS, and ds2 is more expensive, but will stil have lots of trafic for multiplayer in all areas. You will still get some traffic in all games, but likley more in ds2.

What, Demon's is still free on PS+?

The Hunter's Mask is an infinite-use item, acting like the Dark Ring in DS. You forfeit currently held Blood Echoes and return to the Dream Refuge (or last lamp you lit, can't remember).

They were talking about the hunter's mark, not mask. The hunter's mark acts like a ring of sacrifice and is not an infinite use item. You do not lose your blood echoes after death. At least that is what was stated in the developer video.

*edit* Sorry...didn't read all the way before posting.

Will the game offer an Easy mode so that poor video game players like myself will be able to complete the game? I am really worried about paying CDN$70 plus for a game that I do not have the ability to finish.

Cheers

jayu26

Will the game offer an Easy mode so that poor video game players like myself will be able to complete the game? I am really worried about paying CDN$70 plus for a game that I do not have the ability to finish.

Cheers
No.

Cheers.
No seriously dude, you should try previous games, which you can get for cheap, so that you know if you like these games.

Mogwai

Cheers
You'll get easy mode if you summon the right people. That's how Souls games work.

That said, if you keep playing the Souls games, you'll realize that once you're over the initial learning curve, things get a lot easier.

Cheers

Have you actually played any Souls games? Maybe you're worrying over nothing and an easy mode isn't necessary. The difficulty of these games gets constantly overblown.

I would go with the suggestion and grab either Dark Souls or Demon's Souls (I personally recommend Dark Souls) and try it out before juming on Bloodborne.

Cheers

Just follow the guides.

Any bosses too hard you can just summon assist.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This game is gonna be great.

The worst thing that could happen is points being docked off scores simply due to the fact that there were other souls games before this one.

Sayad

Cheers
Those games are RPGish, you can always level up to make things easier, in the first play-through at least.

Mogwai

You'll get easy mode if you summon people, period. As long as they're there to deal damage while you keep dodging a bosses attacks, any fight is easy peasy.
I've had plenty of crappy summons that helped next to nothing. All they do is rush in, die in 30 seconds, and leave me with a boss with boosted health.

I'll stand by my point that a good summon makes things easier, and vice versa :)

2AdEPT

I've had plenty of crappy summons that helped next to nothing. All they do is rush in, die in 30 seconds, and leave me with a boss with boosted health.

I'll stand by my point that a good summon makes things easier, and vice versa :)

yup. I have avoided summoning at times simply owing to that damage nerf. I wanted to complete the Lucatile and Bernhardt quests and learned that poor NPC summoning wasnt all it was cracked up to be...at least they had ridiculous health themselves though....like you said, certain "helpers" getting one shot is even worse.

What, Demon's is still free on PS+?

Sorry, TBH I dont have PS+ but just repeated what someone else posted, but it appears they must have got it a while ago and it is no longer available for free....my guess is that it is not very expensive though? I recall gifting a steam edition of dark souls to my brother, son, and wife when it was on for $7.99. I simply couldnt fathon that the best game ever made, and with enhanced graphics decreased load times etc. was so cheap...only my brother played it. ;)

neoism

No.

Cheers.
No seriously dude, you should try previous games, which you can get for cheap, so that you know if you like these games.

You know I haven't really watched any videos and don't really want to but I'm wondering everyone is spitting out Demon Souls 2 and with all 3 games demS is my least favorite. dS2 is my fav... does anyone know if warping is in the game from the start I realllllllly hated that in DS and you didn't unlock it until basically the end. I just worried in a way seeing how the director of this game didn't really touch my favorite game in the series.

Is there going to be a demo at least....?
I know most of gaf didn't like DS2 but it's my GOTY 2014 it just felt move streamlined and made for a wider audience lot of why gaf loved the other ones more....
I mean I want to like this game but I have yet to like one of this directors games.:/

You know I haven't really watched any videos and don't really want to but I'm wondering everyone is spitting out Demon Souls 2 and with all 3 games demS is my least favorite. dS2 is my fav... does anyone know if warping is in the game from the start I realllllllly hated that in DS and you didn't unlock it until basically the end. I just worried in a way seeing how the director of this game didn't really touch my favorite game in the series.

There is warping in the video.

zma1013

Have they said anything about what the multiplayer is going to be like in this game? Is it the same as the other Souls games?

Mandelbo

Imru’ al-Qays;151625036 said:
So is IGN done with their Bloodborne feature already?

Well, they still have part 2 of the "making of" documentary to do, so I'm guessing it's not finished quite yet. Probably getting the most interesting stuff out in the first week of coverage rather than spreading it out across the month.

cheesekao

Some new info from a JP livestream. Translation's from a banned site so I can't link it.

Milquetoast
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 300
Vitality – 11
Endurance – 10
Strength – 12
Skill – 10
Bloodtinge – 9
Arcane – 8

Lone Survivor
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 420
Vitality – 14
Endurance – 11
Strength – 11
Skill – 10
Bloodtinge – 7
Arcane – 7

Troubled Childhood
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 360
Vitality – 9
Endurance – 14
Strength – 9
Skill – 13
Bloodtinge – 6
Arcane – 9

Waste of Skin
Level – 4
Blood Echoes – 10
Vitality – 10
Endurance – 9
Strength – 10
Skill – 9
Bloodtinge – 7
Arcane – 9

It seems that all of the origins have the same total stat points outside of the waste of skin which is 6 levels lower but has 54 stat points.

Flyinmunky

I think im going to pick this up. Im not a Demon/dark Souls player. Briefly played DS2, found the game good fun. Was frustrated not by the difficulty or dying but whole when you die your stats go down/ hollow system...

When you die in this do your stats go down or do you just lose all Blood Echoes?

Spineker

Banned
I think im going to pick this up. Im not a Demon/dark Souls player. Briefly played DS2, found the game good fun. Was frustrated not by the difficulty or dying but whole when you die your stats go down/ hollow system...

When you die in this do your stats go down or do you just lose all Blood Echoes?

I think you just lose your souls, or blood echoes in this game ala Dark Souls

Also I just watched the developers commentary in HD.....Hoo lord have mercy at this art design.

2AdEPT

DS2 allows you to keep your humanity and souls when you die if you wear the ring of life protection, there are like4-5 in the game several with protect agianst specific things like petrification in addition. DS1 had ring of sacrifice but it cost 5000 souls. THe ROLPs were 3000, and almost broke the game.

Bloodborne will have an item/effect similar to this as well as it was seen in recent alpha/tease releases. I jsut dont remember the details.

Demons' SOuls forced you to press the PS3 button in order not to lose progess, it risked hurting your drive, but was possible all the same. When people obviously complained the developers lightened up a little with the rings, but may have gone too far in Ds2. That said, no one is forced to use them if they would rather not get the benefits.

And dat music, still soooooo gooooood <3 (especially from ~1m30 onwards)

agreed...I can actually hear and recal the melody in this one...the other boss themes that were leaked were intense but had no recognizable melody, which, despite that we were perhaps spoiled on Flamelurker, O and S and even sentinels, etc. is how I judge the music. A part of me hopes that they do replicate the boss themes like they did in Ds2. I will replace them in a hurry with my own compositions in that case. The bell ringing for the ship appraoch in no man's warf was awesome but it needed a fog horn....hope they fix that and have some coastal areas in BB.

Some new info from a JP livestream. Translation's from a banned site so I can't link it.

Milquetoast
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 300
Vitality – 11
Endurance – 10
Strength – 12
Skill – 10
Bloodtinge – 9
Arcane – 8

Lone Survivor
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 420
Vitality – 14
Endurance – 11
Strength – 11
Skill – 10
Bloodtinge – 7
Arcane – 7

Troubled Childhood
Level – 10
Blood Echoes – 360
Vitality – 9
Endurance – 14
Strength – 9
Skill – 13
Bloodtinge – 6
Arcane – 9

Waste of Skin
Level – 4
Blood Echoes – 10
Vitality – 10
Endurance – 9
Strength – 10
Skill – 9
Bloodtinge – 7
Arcane – 9

It seems that all of the origins have the same total stat points outside of the waste of skin which is 6 levels lower but has 54 stat points.

Let the min/maxing begin

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, Waste of Skin isn't level 1? :/ There goes lvl 1 runs... that sucks

2AdEPT

Really? In what way?

Some people argued that they felt compelled to use them and it made the game too easy (why even have the mechanic of losing stuff if it can be neutralized and since it was so cheap, most people wold use them and it essentially was argued that the only effect was taking away a ring slot)...Kay of Kay Plays was one who promoted this thoery. Admittedly, I used them a lot as I HATE grinding for humanity if not souls, but ultimately I disagree; if you dont like them dont use them....the game was relatively well balanced IMO as there were more cheap deaths than usual where wearing this ring was important, i.e.they likely had a reason for lowering their price and making more than one copy, all of which could be replenished over and over. In ds1 I forgot to mention they broke forever and although more common, only one character sold them. Most poeple felt that was a better standard for these rings, and agian I ahve mixed feelings on that owing to the sheer size, wide scope, and depth of trying to balance these huge and deep games.

so hsit been discssed much what the arcane stat does? SOunds a lot like magic??!?!

tcrunch

Wait, Waste of Skin isn't level 1? :/ There goes lvl 1 runs... that sucks

Maybe L1 is Cruel Fate or something.

e: complete list of origins for reference

Milquetoast (L10)
Lone Survivor (L10)
Troubled Childhood (L10)
Violent Past
Professional
Military Veteran
Noble Scion
Cruel Fate
Waste of Skin (L4)

aravuus

Some people argued that they felt compelled to use them and it made the game too easy (why even have the mechanic of losing stuff if it can be neutralized and since it was so cheap, most people wold use them and it essentially was argued that the only effect was taking away a ring slot)...Kay of Kay Plays was one who promoted this thoery. Admittedly, I used them a lot as I HATE grinding for humanity if not souls, but ultimately I disagree; if you dont like them dont use them....the game was relatively well balanced IMO as there were more cheap deaths than usual where wearing this ring was important, i.e.they likely had a reason for lowering their price and making more than one copy, all of which could be replenished over and over. In ds1 I forgot to mention they broke forever and although more common, only one character sold them. Most poeple felt that was a better standard for these rings, and agian I ahve mixed feelings on that owing to the sheer size, wide scope, and depth of trying to balance these huge and deep games.

I don't think the ring was even close to breaking the game. Saying that keeping your souls on death makes the game easy is absolutely ridiculous - everyone knows leveling up barely really helps you in the Souls games. Hell, it's one of the first things series newcomers get told. Breaking the game, in my mind, implies that it takes away all difficulty which is so, so not true.

I liked the ring DS2 had. Like I posted earlier in this thread, it made me experiment more. I even tried a naked fist-fighting build thanks to it. It simply made the game more fun to me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So why do the starting classes start with a set number of blood echoes? That's so weird.

More Blood Echoes kind of signifies "wealth" or "good upbringing" in a way?
Means you'll potentially be able to buy a few more Blood Vials, etc. once you reach the Dream Refuge.

The difference between each doesn't seem to be that great, but think of it as the Explorer class in DS2 starting with items.

More Blood Echoes kind of signifies "wealth" or "good upbringing" in a way?
Means you'll potentially be able to buy a few more Blood Vials, etc. once you reach the Dream Refuge.

The difference between each doesn't seem to be that great, but think of it as the Explorer class in DS2 starting with items.

I could see Professional and Noble Scion starting with a good chunk of blood echoes.

Korten

Banned
So is there any chance Bloodborne takes place in the Demon's Souls universe? That priest boss in the alpha did say: "Umbasa."

Top Bottom