• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

The idea of having enough self control to "hold off" on buying this game for a few weeks for potential patches is under the "never gonna happen" category.

I'm buying this game day one and not sleeping that night.

No way that's happening (holding off). The feeling of playing a game like Bloodborne as everyone is discovering everything and no one quite knows the right or best way is just down right amazing.

No way that's happening (holding off). The feeling of playing a game like Bloodborne as everyone is discovering everything and no one quite knows the right or best way is just down right amazing.

That's definitely part of the allure. I think that group discovery in a souls game is its own incredible meta-game. There is a group bond as we all tackle it together and then start exploring the pvp and lore.

Aces&Eights

That's definitely part of the allure. I think that group discovery in a souls game is its own incredible meta-game. There is a group bond as we all tackle it together and then start exploring the pvp and lore.

CNPRkNl.gif

The idea of having enough self control to "hold off" on buying this game for a few weeks for potential patches is under the "never gonna happen" category.

I'm buying this game day one and not sleeping that night.

I'm looking forward to leaping into the game day 1 and complaining with everyone else about what needs to be patched!

I got DKS day 1, but it took me weeks to get anywhere by which time fun stuff like stacking curses had been done away with. I kind of wish I got to experience that and the super aggressive dinosaur things in lava-zone myself.

Yeah... day 1 and I'm taking a day off work to play!

Afrodium

Banned
Be honest with me those of you who have been following Bloodbourne and get what kind of game it is:

I like action games.

But I did not enjoy Demons Souls or either Dark Souls games. They're not my cup of tea, as I didn't enjoy getting my ass handed to me over and over again, and the action was too slow paced for me. I can appreciate them as critically acclaimed games.

I do understand Bloodbourne is a sort of spiritual successor to the Souls games, the same type of unforgiving action...

Does Bloodbourne-GAF feel that it will be worth playing if I do not enjoy the Souls games? Or will it be so similar to Souls it might as well be a sequel of sorts?

Cheers guys,

This game looks so great which is why I am asking lol - but I know I will not enjoy it if its like Souls series.

Nope, don't waste your money. Bloodborne is basically a Souls game with a different name. I think it being a highly hyped PS4 exclusive is making people who didn't like the Souls series feel obligated to play it, but if you've already tried Demon's and Dark and don't enjoy them then I don't think you'll find much to like in Bloodborne.

Laconic

Banned
Have we gotten any articles yet that discuss the length of the load times?

They have stated that preview footage has had them edited out.

This is the kind of thing that previewers really ought to discuss with us.

It's part of actual play, and a pressing issue, given how god awful the loads were in the PS3 version of DS2.

Their length is what is going to determine whether or not I buy the game - pure fact.

Aces&Eights

Nope, don't waste your money. Bloodborne is basically a Souls game with a different name. I think it being a highly hyped PS4 exclusive is making people who didn't like the Souls series feel obligated to play it, but if you've already tried Demon's and Dark and don't enjoy them then I don't think you'll find much to like in Bloodborne.

Exactly.

Bloodborne: We Took Your Shield But Are Giving You This Awesome Shotgun Sword Transformer Thing Instead

Lawd, time is just going Tic Toc...Tic....Toc....T....I....C............T.........O.............C

From the video I watched the load times looked impressively fast. Like second or two, fast.

Load times in Alpha were pretty slow unfortunately. Hopefully it has really improved. The video you saw probably edited the loads out the l out.

aly

They have stated that preview footage has had them edited out.

This is the kind of thing that previewers really ought to discuss with us.

It's part of actual play, and a pressing issue, given how god awful the loads were in the PS3 version of DS2.

Their length is what is going to determine whether or not I buy the game - pure fact.

That might be difficult for them to do if they are just looking at the alpha or an early but stable build of the game. They should mention that in a review though.

Teknoman

I kinda want the guide, but then again I bought the Dark Souls 1 guide and never used it.

Actually I dont think i've ever really used any guide, since I tend to accidentally spoil myself.

nordique

Bloodborne is faster paced and less defense-oriented. You could see it as being more like a character action game.

But you will still have to deal with trial and error. And if you didn't like any of the 3 previous Souls games, Bloodborne probably won't convert you.

Based on information and videos so far Bloodborne is a Souls game in everything but the name.

Ok, thank you guys. Appreciate it! I'll wait till the interviews and maybe there'll be a demo.

But yeah it does seem to be the kind of game that I won't click with. Thanks though !

Plenty of people are buying it. It's the ultimate item for the fan since it's an awesome (exclusive and quite rare) collector's item.

Yup. Will read through it after I beat most of the game. Also want that dynamic theme badly. Gonna digital download the game though since I rather play at midnight (hopefully) and I know I wont be trading this in.

nordique

Ah thank you. This is good advice. Thanks a lot!

Oh well, I think you're right it's the hype that's getting to me but Souls really wasn't my cup of tea and I wanted to check in with those who know the game better than I. Thanks!

zkorejo

I am also on the "Very much interested but scared I might not be able to finish the game" boat.

I havent played any of the Souls games but this looks too good to pass. Plus I need a long game to keep me busy until Witcher 3 is released. This looks like it is that game.

I dont think I will absolutely suck at this game and embarrass myself, but with EVERYONE talking about how hard these Souls games are, I am hesitant.

I wish there was a scale to measure if you an handle Souls/BB games or not.

Teknoman

Ah thank you. This is good advice. Thanks a lot!

Oh well, I think you're right it's the hype that's getting to me but Souls really wasn't my cup of tea and I wanted to check in with those who know the game better than I. Thanks!

You could also wait till the game hits, get someone to shareplay it with you, and see how you feel about the gameplay? Unless it'll be restricted.

I am also on the "Very much interested but scared I might not be able to finish the game" boat.

I havent played any of the Souls games but this looks too good to pass. Plus I need a long game to keep me busy until Witcher 3 is released. This looks like it is that game.

I dont think I will absolutely suck at this game and embarrass myself, but with EVERYONE talking about how hard these Souls games are, I am hesitant.

They arent hard, you just have to think about what you want to do very carefully. They offer...an old school challenge for lack of a better term.

I think I might have to go for the digital midnight release for this one heh. I dont really like getting digital all the time...but for a game I probably wont ever sell/one with an LE thats not all that, i'll bite.

Then some players will jump to the wikis because its hard to "explore" on your own.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is why photorealism is widely misunderstood in videogames.

Photorealistic does not mean it's more real-looking than a realistic game. Photorealism, means that something is simulating effects that are associated with mechanical photography.

Depth of field is not something we perceive particularly in reality. Neither is bokeh or motion blur (despite the human eye working similarly and displaying similar effects if we abstract our vision). So there are elements of Bloodborne that are definitely striving after photorealism. But the art style isn't particularly realistic.

It's my understanding that the product of a photo-realist approach is something which approximates a photo. This is necessarily true when we're talking about painting and illustration. I guess its trickier when it comes to games, but...

To me this implies that both the simulation of the mechanics of a camera as well as the overall look of a game are similarly relevant to the definition of photo-realism. You are privileging the mechanical aspect over the overall visual result in your definition of photo-realism as it pertains to video games but I'm not sure that's justified without further argument.

I think the games are hard in that they can be pretty unforgiving, but it's mostly about getting yourself into the right mindset of actually thinking about each encounter instead of mashing them buttons.

Basically I wouldn't let the difficulty scare you away if the game looks appealing. These are games that, with practice, most people will be able beat. It's not like you'll run into a brick wall of challenge if you don't have ninja reflexes.

Teknoman

How come the shipping cost is insane? Because of where seller or buyer is from? Also, is it available digitally, or will it be in future? Seems a little crazy.

Where the buyer is from. Shipping+Price = 28 bucks for me.

Yeah I just bought it since it's supposed to have some sort of art deal within along with a bestiary. That + normal price of the game is about the same as buying the North American LE.

jyx

43 days to go. I preordered on psn. Never done that before. Will it download automatically on release day?

Seanspeed

Banned
You find DOF desirable. You find CA undesirable. That's just you, however.

A ton of people are interested in recreating the imperfections of cameras. It's why instagram took off as well as it did.

That said, DOF is just one effect; CA is another.

Both can be used well or poorly. CA is newer in games so it generally looks as shitty as DOF did when it was new (IMO DOF *only* looks desirable with bokeh artifacts )...but it can be used to great effect.
I have yet to see an instance of CA where it improves anything. That is just my opinion, but it does not seem to be an uncommon one.

The worrying thing is that its being used more and more. It feels like its becoming harder and harder to avoid it and big budget developers just seemingly throw it in because its the cool trend to do, though its not cool at all and tends to ruin image clarity, fairly dramatically in many cases. I wish, at the very least, devs would start including the ability to turn it off.

nib95

Banned
I have yet to see an instance of CA where it improves anything. That is just my opinion, but it does not seem to be an uncommon one.

The worrying thing is that its being used more and more. It feels like its becoming harder and harder to avoid it and big budget developers just seemingly throw it in because its the cool trend to do, though its not cool at all and tends to ruin image clarity, fairly dramatically in many cases. I wish, at the very least, devs would start including the ability to turn it off.

Often it is used artistically to convey a particular change in situation. For example the effect of a particular visor or helmet, a special power being used, or the player being hit by a particular weapon or grenade and so on.

Seanspeed

Banned
Often it is used artistically to convey a particular change in situation. For example the effect of a particular visor or helmet, a special power being used, or the player being hit by a particular weapon or grenade and so on.
Ok, I'll give you that used in a temporary situation, as a fleeting effect, isn't so bad.

I'm speaking more of a permanent and fully encompassing effect layer on the image while playing.

This will be my 1st souls game. I love the dark art direction of the game. My body is red. Ordered the hardback guide from Amazon. I never buy the guide.

Auctopus

I really enjoy that aspect, it was great when the Souls community was relatively small at the release of Dark Souls. I fear this time around there's going to be a lot of noise in the Spoiler/Lore thread.

Especially seeing as now Youtubers like Vaati have encouraged the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' aspect of storytelling. Like, try and romanticise the placement of that bucket on the table so it tells a story of a king who fell to his subject's revolt. No, it's just a bucket and there is a right answer to 99% of the lore.

Afrodium

Banned
I really enjoy that aspect, it was great when the Souls community was relatively small at the release of Dark Souls. I fear this time around there's going to be a lot of noise in the Spoiler/Lore thread.

Especially seeing as now Youtubers like Vaati have encouraged the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' aspect of storytelling. Like, try and romanticise the placement of that bucket on the table so it tells a story of a king who fell to his subject's revolt. No, it's just a bucket and there is a right answer to 99% of the lore.

I wasn't there for when it happened with Dark Souls, but I certainly didn't feel a group discovery aspect when I was in the Dark Souls 2 OT during its first few weeks. Pretty much everyone was complaining about the Smelter Demon or whatever boss they happened to be stuck on at the time.

Auctopus

I wasn't there for when it happened with Dark Souls, but I certainly didn't feel a group discovery aspect when I was in the Dark Souls 2 OT during its first few weeks. Pretty much everyone was complaining about the Smelter Demon or whatever boss they happened to be stuck on at the time.

Well, the Dark Souls one for me happened on Reddit and for once I felt like that was the better forum to have it on. Every discovery in the game had it's isolated thread and more and more secrets and ideas were popping up daily. However, back then people backed up their theories with pure fact from the game and item descriptions. This was also the time that ENB rose to popularity. Sadly, when Dark Souls was released on PC and the game went from niche to mainstream, the idea somehow got out that it was 'make up your own story' which was far from the truth. This behaviour has since been encouraged by the community (Especially by Vaati) which has sort of ruined the secret finding as it's hard to decipher where the truth begins and people's romantic bullshit ends.

I don't think the OT is the place to do it. There'll have to be a lore/spoiler thread if Bloodborne's lore is anything close to Dark Souls. Which I'll assume it is as one of Miyazaki's staple influences for game design is the idea that players have to puzzle together backstory and information etc.

Edit: Not to mention DS2 had considerably weaker lore and a lot of it just ended up being callbacks to DS1 i.e. bad fan service.

Anarion07

Sooo apparently Yasuhiro Kitao said, that the graphics will improve from the latest shown build.
Didn't find the news anywhere, so thought this might be the right place.

Edit:
forget what i said, only found it on a banned site.
But news incoming on february 13th.

https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/563975891219275776

google translate:

The next Friday the 13th, from 22:00. I will introduce in detail with regard has just been published "Bloodborne" information! RTyosp: I # challenge Demon fun When you return to Japan.

From the commentary at about 6:00, it sounds like enemies taking your blood is something that CAN occur, but doesn't always. Probably a normal bloodstain otherwise.

EDIT: Beaten!

Sooo apparently Yasuhiro Kitao said, that the graphics will improve from the latest shown build.
Didn't find the news anywhere, so thought this might be the right place.

Edit:
forget what i said, only found it on a banned site.
But news incoming on february 13th.

https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/563975891219275776

google translate:

The next Friday the 13th, from 22:00. I will introduce in detail with regard has just been published "Bloodborne" information! RTyosp: I # challenge Demon fun When you return to Japan.
As long as its lock 30 FPS I will be happy :)

Auctopus

Today's dribble is the first 18 minutes video with producer commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sbmzXkE6TI

Probably going to update this with further revelation but firstly...

- The contract is sealed when you write your name in character creation! Along with the classes being backstories, I can already sense how far Miyazaki's going for immersion.
- "The ominous colour of the sky foreshadows the hardships that await you." hahaha
- "Prepare yourself for the worst. There are no humans left in Yharnam" is already my favourite quote of the generation.

The Bold Hunter's Mark item that you get from the NPC lets you keep your blood echoes after dying. So I guess like a consumable Ring of Sacrifice?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Bold Hunter's Mark item that you get from the NPC lets you keep your blood echoes after dying. So I guess like a consumable Ring of Sacrifice?

Ugh, I hope those aren't too plentiful then. You shouldn't be able to die without consequence half of the time, it should be an important decision to use such an item or save it for later.

This game is starting to sound a bit too "accessible" to me... Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing and everything will be nicely balanced, but this is far from the first thing that has made it sound like this game won't be as challenging as Souls.

Primeau31

Ugh, I hope those aren't too plentiful then. You shouldn't be able to die without consequence half of the time, it should be an important decision to use such an item or save it for later.

This game is starting to sound a bit too "accessible" to me... Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing and everything will be nicely balanced, but this is far from the first thing that has made it sound like this game won't be as challenging as Souls.

did you play the alpha? just curious BC its surprisingly difficult esp for an early area of the game.

Tactics18

It sounds like it is. The subtitles are a little ambiguous.
Kind of weird if it's so. Is it going to be timed or just very rare?

Yeah, hopefully as rare as Rings of Sacrifice, though to be fair you could buy inifinite RoS from Oswald in DS1, and you could infinitely repair the ring in DS2. Not to mention DeS had Second Chance, so... all the games have had relatively easy ways to cheat death.

2AdEPT

I'm really really glad that there's actual good Souls music in this game again. Dks 2 was so forgettable in this regard...

I dont get it!?!?!!? I am I the only one who thinks the boss fight music wasnt even half as good as the sentinels theme from DS2? ITs about melodies...I couldnt find one in the Cleric fight, yet the sentinels I can sing for you right now....LA. LA. LA lalalala LA. (repeat). YES, the style of this theme creates tension and such, but if they repeat the computer choral voices ad nauseum like they did with the sentinels theme and througout ds2 (same one used for smelter1, 2, and maybe even another one, Pursuer2,3, Velstadt??...cant recall because some themes like Pursuer 1/ sinner didnt really exist) then the musical score isnt going to be rated high I am afraid. THis enabled me as a noob composer to make my own music for many fights though so a peice of me hopes they get lazy again.

But just so people know, this cleric theme doesnt even touch Flamelurker (La la la la LA la LA.) O&S (la...LA..LA!!! lalalalala la ...LA...LA....LA!) or other themes from the series that had a melody and DIFFERENT voices carrying the melody! Lose the addiction to the SAME computerized choral! If you love choral so much at least get some REAL groups together and do different sections, baritones tenors sopransos etc. Also, I want to hear organ pipes, harpsichord et al for Victorian ENgland setting!!!!

As for sound effects, the clocktower bell is AWESOME, but that cant be the only signature sound effect for the whole setting can it???I really hope they get a peice near the water for a lazy foghorn as well!

aravuus

Haha, I kind of feel the opposite. Really liked the ring that made you keep souls on death in Dark Souls 2, made me confident enough to try all kinds of crazy shit I wouldn't have otherwise if I always lost my souls.

I hate this argument, but since the game won't be balanced around the item... Just don't use it? I see this "it's optional, why do you care, don't use it" argument thrown around a lot concerning stuff that actually has most likely affected the game's difficulty balance, but I hiiiiighly doubt they've balanced anything with this particular item in mind, leveling, after all, barely makes a difference in Souls games, so... Just don't use it?

takriel

I dont get it!?!?!!? I am I the only one who thinks the boss fight music wasnt even half as good as the sentinels theme from DS2? ITs about melodies...I couldnt find one in the Cleric fight, yet the sentinels I can sing for you right now....LA. LA. LA lalalala LA. (repeat). YES, the style of this theme creates tension and such, but if they repeat the computer choral voices ad nauseum like they did with the sentinels theme and througout ds2 (same one used for smelter1, 2, and maybe even another one, Pursuer2,3, Velstadt??...cant recall because some themes like Pursuer 1/ sinner didnt really exist) then the musical score isnt going to be rated high I am afraid. THis enabled me as a noob composer to make my own music for many fights though so a peice of me hopes they get lazy again.

But just so people know, this cleric theme doesnt even touch Flamelurker (La la la la LA la LA.) O&S (la...LA..LA!!! lalalalala la ...LA...LA....LA!) or other themes from the series that had a melody and DIFFERENT voices carrying the melody! Lose the addiction to the SAME computerized choral! If you love choral so much at least get some REAL groups together and do different sections, baritones tenors sopransos etc. Also, I want to hear organ pipes, harpsichord et al for Victorian ENgland setting!!!!

As for sound effects, the clocktower bell is AWESOME, but that cant be the only signature sound effect for the whole setting can it???I really hope they get a peice near the water for a lazy foghorn as well!

Ok?

Sentinel's Theme was one of the better music pieces of Dks 2, but the Cleric Beast theme already tops that in my regard.

Top Bottom