• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

takriel

nah, i just remember all the cool weapons of past souls games. that was part of the fun experimenting with new weapons you find.. How can a fan of the souls series like that there are 6 weapons?
Not for me, in Dks 2 anyway. I for one am glad they chose to go with quality over quantity.

Got a PS4 for this. Concerned about weapon variety especially since there seems to be no magic and I tend to enjoy PVP. Glad to hear that the game will continue the challenge and judging by the boss fights I've seen it looks tougher than Dark Souls 2.

Hiko

Banned
nah, i just remember all the cool weapons of past souls games. that was part of the fun experimenting with new weapons you find.. How can a fan of the souls series like that there are 6 weapons?

Most of us are rational and realize that there will probably be way more than just the 6 weapons they've shown us. That's how.

Auctopus

As I mentioned in the parallel thread...This isn't a Souls game.

"How can a Fallout fan like that there are no guns in Skyrim?"

It's made by the same dev, it has similarities but this is a new IP. The sooner people leave their expectations and parallels at the door, the better experience you're gonna have.

Soriku

Uh, dude? The writer hasn't beaten the game. There's no indication that those are all the weapons (And they most likely aren't, considering how many secrets are in the average Souls game).

They also said they only found one vendor, so who knows how much they missed.

I don't get the backlash about the weapons. The weapons shown all seem to be much deeper than the weapons in Dark Souls, with transforming combos, seemingly diffrent movesets between transformations, ect. With that amount of apparent depth, of course there wouldn't be 50 weapons in the game. I'd rather for each weapon to be strong in it's own way and have meaningful depth than have 20 reskins of the same moveset.

Just another weird desire for quantity over quality that gamers seem to have...so many people want 50 hours of filler rather than 15 hours of solid campaign, or cookie cutter weapons stamped out instead of 8 completely unique ones.

Älg

I gotta say that I actually like that there are fewer weapons. One of my biggest gripes with previous games were that there were too many useless weapons, and not enough good ones. I spent a large part of all previous Souls games just waiting for that weapon that I really like and wanted to upgrade, but really I just ended up playing most of the games with really shitty weapons.

Fewer weapons hopefully means that there is more immediate variety, and that all weapons are feasible to some extent. Plus, you have the transformation aspect which means that there is essentially two weapons for each weapon anyways.

Of course it means less variety for multiple playthroughs, but if what they say about less replayability that won't be as much of an issue.

Alo0oy

Banned
Guys.

Guys.

I just read on twitter that there is a World Tendancy-like mechanic where the time of day changes based on the world tendancy, & that beating bosses or doing certain things makes the time of day go towards day, & vice-versa.

Can anybody with the magazine confirm that?

If true, Bloodborne is shaping up to be better than perfect.

BLOODBORNE ONLY HAS 1 MERCHANT CONFIRMED GUYS. I'LL START THE THREAD.

image.php

problem is past games i nthe series had both. so why settle for just one now?

Did you actually use every weapon in past Souls games? There were a lot of weapons that were practically worthless. Sounds like the weapons system is more similar to Demon's Souls anyway.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I don't get the backlash about the weapons. The weapons shown all seem to be much deeper than the weapons in Dark Souls, with transforming combos, seemingly diffrent movesets between transformations, ect. With that amount of apparent depth, of course there wouldn't be 50 weapons in the game. I'd rather for each weapon to be strong in it's own way and have meaningful depth than have 20 reskins of the same moveset.

Just another weird desire for quantity over quality that gamers seem to have...so many people want 50 hours of filler rather than 15 hours of solid campaign, or cookie cutter weapons stamped out instead of 8 completely unique ones.

More = better. ALWAYS.

No.

Probably because a true souls fan recognizes that many souls weapons were reskins of the same basic path. Also, people who have been following this game know the weapons are deeper than before and every one transforms, essentially doubling the moveset (and then some, adding in combos that account for transformations).

On top of that, there are also at least 6 guns, which brings the weapon count to 12-18 depending on if you take into account that each weapon functions as 2 different weapons.

Additionally, these are only the weapons that the reviewer found, which in no way means they are the only weapons in the game.

Finally, we haven't seen the depth of the upgrade system, which could potentially create a whole new realm of build diversity even when considering only one weapon.

Taking all of that into account, plus some of the recent posts you've made, I came to the conclusion that you are invested in a negative outcome for this game. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am, especially with that high level shitpost you decided this thread needed.

convo

Did they say how difficult it is? If it's anything like Souls, I'm not interested, but I am curious.

You mean a hard game? Of course it is,more so if you read what is in the op, but you have the means to overcome the obstacles presented to you. The argument that you have to be super human is false, literal human garbage like DSP can beat a souls game and if you even consider being a bit more observant one can play through them. If you don't have the time to play the game though then it's fine to postpone it.

Which past games in the series are you referring to cuz to my knowledge Bloodborne is a new ip with a different objective to that of the souls sereis.

people still compared Dark Souls to Demons even though they were separate. Bloodborne shares alot of similarities with souls and it's going to get compared to it. deal with it.

Jobbs

Banned
Few weapons is disappointing, I like choice

I'd be careful about reading too much into this. Souls games are vast, and full of secrets, just because under whatever conditions/restrictions the reviewer was under in just 40 hours (and yes, 40 hours is not that long when playing a souls game blind, in my first playthrough of dark souls, 40 hours was just the beginning) lead to 6 weapons being found doesn't necesasrily mean the game doesn't have much stuff to find.

anyway, into my veins it goes. or will go. whatever.

Vire

Hmm, the screenshots in the Edge article show the old starry night skybox for the Cleric boss which I liked much more than the one shown in the IGN video.

I wonder which one it actually is in the final game?

gelf

All sounds good to me. I never played Souls for the loot aspect so a small number of weapons is fine with me if they are distinct with different playstyles.

As I mentioned in the parallel thread...

This isn't a Souls game. "How can a Fallout fan like that there are no guns in Skyrim?"

It's made by the same dev, it has similarities but this is a new IP. The sooner people leave their expectations and parallels at the door, the better experience you're gonna have.
From Software has already had that example happen themselves with their King's Field series. They took the concept of those games and spun them off into stuff like Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring, which still shared the same perspective and controls but the mechanical changes made things quite fundamentally different. The same could be said to a lesser extent for all their mecha games with Armored Core.

Bloodborne is basically doing that again for the Souls series, and if this framework Miyazaki made with Demon's is gonna continue to be popular, I sure hope more modifications to the formula manifest in other new IPs along this one.

Hiko

Banned
people still compared Dark Souls to Demons even though they were separate. Bloodborne shares alot of similarities with souls and it's going to get compared to it. deal with it.

You haven't responded to any of the people who addressed your "concerns". Give it a rest already.

Top Bottom