• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Press Preview Impressions (16/03/2015)

Finalow

Just because they did it before doesn't mean it was correct then, either. Embargoing reviews til really close to release nowadays tells consumers you're not confident in your game, even if you actually are. Too many awful games have had embargoed reviews to do this anymore. Blame the bad games for this, but any time you appear to be hiding something, you're telling the consumers that you ARE hiding something.

That said, I'm sure this will be a good game (well, at least I hope), but if you're confident in it, and know it's a good game... don't be weird about coverage, don't hold off on reviews until the last minute possible... don't have a PREVIEW embargo up a week before the game. It just gives off the wrong message. Don't be an assassin's creed unity. I agree w/ alberto.
it doesn't, really. not always anyway. first it depends on the consumer, you believe that? Your problem. I know From Software, the series and Sony Japan so I'm "scared" that they're hiding something which could undermine the quality or enjoyment of the game.

what weird coverage? A preview one week before release means "we're not confident"? It gives the wrong message if you take it as the wrong message. are people seriously screaming "AC Unity all over again!" just becuase the review embargo is one day before release. Lol.

oh, forgot to mention, I've been watching various streams and the game looks great, runs great and works great. the only problem has been lengthy loading times, which are probably going to be addressed with the D1 patch.

but please, keep the bullshit coming.

Except what you posted wasn't non-inflammatory; it was factually inaccurate and somewhat bizarrely so.
pretty much.
I'm more amazed at how mad he got after seeing legitimate reactions to his very questionable post. but hey, I guess that's one way to get out of an argument in which you're, among other things, factually wrong.

Its really awesome that they tweaked the remote play controls, though I think the rear touch pad is not as touchy as I would like. Guess I wont lock on as much.

Yeah, I'm really happy when devs rework controls for remote play. In this case, it seems like Bloodborne will work pretty well on the Vita.

Orayn

I would entirely agree with you if the post in question wasn't out of touch with reality. The game is being advertised on TV, they are flying journalists to Tokyo to play the game, they are giving lots of interviews; what basis is there to think Sony is being shy about this game? None.

Well, shy is relative. They're advertising, yes, but it's still pretty subdued compared to what they've done for games like The Order despite Bloodborne having just as much if not more positive word of mouth behind it. It's not unreasonable or "out of touch with reality" to observe that Sony's strategy seems timid in some ways.

secondratesaint

Neo Member
Absolutely cannot wait. Hopefully I'll be done with Type-0 and Hotline Miami 2 before it launches.

Does anyone know if Bloodborne is going to have unique audio modes for the Sony headsets yet? Has this been mentioned anywhere?

Read the thread. Multiple people jumped unreasonably after making a personal observation.

I see multiple people replying to his observations but not much other then that.

Edit: And the first few posters were correcting him. Are personal observations immune to criticism or something now?

When you make silly posts like this, with little basis in reality you better be prepared for half the thread to call you out:

Surprised the embargo isn't up yet.

Sony usually has a week-early embargo for games they're confident in and a week-of embargo for games they're not. But I also feel like they're weirdly scared of advertising Bloodborne - the all-CG reveal at E3, the skipped TGS reveal the previous year, the weird commercial, embargoed trailers, etc. It seems like everyone agrees it's an amazing game but Sony seems deathly afraid of talking about it.

It's like they still view FROM's Soul-types as extremely niche games.

There have been countless gameplay trailers, coverage from major outlets like EDGE and IGN, loads of interviews, alpha testing, and even streams.

The fact that there is a commercial for this game airing so early ahead of release in major channels/times shows how dedicated Sony is to this game.

but it's still pretty subdued compared to what they've done for games like The Order

In what way? Bloodborne looks to have more advertising than the Order.

Aurumaethera

Neo Member
You know, mulling it over, by far my biggest concern for the reviewing process is that without a large number of other players online, the game will lose a chunk of its charm.

Steroyd

Just because they did it before doesn't mean it was correct then, either. Embargoing reviews til really close to release nowadays tells consumers you're not confident in your game, even if you actually are. Too many awful games have had embargoed reviews to do this anymore. Blame the bad games for this, but any time you appear to be hiding something, you're telling the consumers that you ARE hiding something.

That said, I'm sure this will be a good game (well, at least I hope), but if you're confident in it, and know it's a good game... don't be weird about coverage, don't hold off on reviews until the last minute possible... don't have a PREVIEW embargo up a week before the game. It just gives off the wrong message. Don't be an assassin's creed unity. I agree w/ alberto.

What misinformation? Sure, games do it all the time now, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing anymore. Plenty of good games have release day embargoes... but so many bad ones do, too. It honestly tells me, as a consumer "uh... if they don't want review scores going out until after the game is on shelves... you should probably wait to see what they're hiding." Wayy to many games have hidden bad games behind release day embargoes for this practice to be normal/safe anymore.

Ads != talking about it. Ads != game coverage. Ads = Ads. Bad games have ads, as do good. Ads tell me nothing about what a game actually is. Ads tell me what the pubs want me to think a game is.

And again, don't get me wrong, if the game turns out well, it'll be the first game I pick up when I get a PS4, but in a world where you have companies doing reviews 2 weeks ahead of time for games they trust and reviews on release day (or not sending out early copies at all) for games that are total trash... it makes me a bit... apprehensive when a game's reviews are really late. It makes me ask "why?" That's all.

Here's a good articulation on why your minset of "closer review embargo to release = less confidence" is misplaced. It sounds more to me, that you've been burned far too many times by shitty publishers using embargoes for the power of evil more than anything, which is a sad thing that we've been conditioned that way.

Also another point can be made about online components especially in controlled environments, Battlefield 4 could have been reviewed 2 weeks early but the same fucked up online that the masses experienced which is a large component of the game, and create a backlash between the the reviewers and the ones reading the review for not pointing it out.

Fhtagn

Well, shy is relative. They're advertising, yes, but it's still pretty subdued compared to what they've done for games like The Order despite Bloodborne having just as much if not more positive word of mouth behind it. It's not unreasonable or "out of touch with reality" to observe that Sony's strategy seems timid in some ways.

The funny thing is that compared to the Order they are way way less shy about the actual game in this case. They may be advertising less (I don't know, I have only watched Better Call Saul, no other TV, so I don't have a sense) but they were very cagey about letting people play or discuss The Order (and we know why now.)

Where as they have been very open about Bloodborne from the jump off, and one gets the sense the stuff they are holding back on (certain mechanics) is out of a legitimate desire for people to be surprised by the end result.

What's subdued about it? They started running ads for this sooner than they did with The Order. They're also running at a more frequent rate. And as I mentioned before, they even held a going gold party for it in Japan. They don't seem timid about it at all.

Derpyduck

Banned
For what it's worth, people that got the game early have pretty much all agreed that the framerate (at least early on) is a solid 30.

PS Vita Remote Play Impressions

Being a PS4 title, we naturally had questions about how Bloodborne’s faster combat would translate to PS Vita‘s smaller form factor. I can happily report that FromSoftware has implemented various niceties that ensure a smooth transition from DualShock 4 to PS Vita, including a few clever re-mapping solutions:

After about five minutes of re-training my muscle memory, I was already dodging and counterattacking Bloodborne’s nightmarish beasts with the same finesse and ferocity as I was managing while playing natively on PS4.

I really REALLY wished remote play would work for me consistently as I think this would be a great on it after reading this. I'm guessing the game isn't going to have a true pause is it?

It also seems smart to keep as much information locked down until release like past souls games to make the game feel like a surprise and figuring new stuff about the game with other players.

I really REALLY wished remote play would work for me consistently as I think this would be a great on it after reading this. I'm guessing the game isn't going to have a true pause is it?

No

Aurongel

I've seen ads for Bloodborne during both The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

The marketing push behind it is real, the commercial being stylish and eye-catching is the cherry on top.

So now it's the review embargo date, huh? It seems like people really need something to be concerned about at all times regarding this game.

Loudninja

What's subdued about it? They started running ads for this sooner than they did with The Order. They're also running at a more frequent rate. And as I mentioned before, they even held a going gold party for it in Japan. They don't seem timid about it at all.
Not to mention the IGN coverage and the Edge preview.

Late game embargo seems like a postive thing for me tbh. Let the press experience everything this game has to offer. Souls games are quite deep.

The Jimquisition video brings up a solid point about why this game probably has a day before review embargo. It's a niche title and all impressions so far along with other indications point to it being a fantastic game, so the great reviews pre-release will probably help sales a bit.

Finalow

it's not like I counted the number of ads being shown per hour but I don't really see how it's subdued compared to past exclusive games.

Afrodium

Banned
Are we getting any chalice dungeon videos today? I saw a gif a few days ago of the Sen's Fortress area that the Gamespot preview mentions so assumed I'd get to see the whole video today.

Exactly. Its no wonder some people are throwing around the word "concern" when such posts have hardly any basis in reality or are results of massive conclusion leaps.

ced

If this is how you feel then use this, a discussion forum, to articulate why you disagree.

Not "THIS IS SOME BS RIGHT HUR"

I was going to let it go, because now the thread is going off-topic, party thanks to me but mostly from his post. It was either a troll or just a really misinformed post, I say troll since it's been pretty successful at derailing.

There is no correlation between game quality and review embargo. You can't use The Order to base this on, nor can we use the early review for TLOU. I'm making an assumption, but I'm sure From has some say in this as well, and seems to be sensitive about things being spoiled.

Sony not advertising it? Anyone with half a brain knows this isn't true.

CG reveal? Welcome to video game reveals...

No show of TGS trailer? They made the right call there, the game then and now is in a completely different visual state, it had a drastic visual upgrade.

Weird commercial? I don't even know what he is talking about.

Are we getting any chalice dungeon videos today? I saw a gif a few days ago of the Sen's Fortress area that the Gamespot preview mentions so assumed I'd get to see the whole video today.

I would hope so. It does seem weird gamespot only had the chalice dungeon preview lol

Honestly late review embargo is nothing new with FROM. This game is going to either be amazeballs or a giant pile of steaming crap. After watching streams and speaking to people who have already landed a copy or have played it a bit. I can safely assume it is not a giant pile of steaming crap.

OP has done nothing to help with the fact that the 24th is yet another week away.

Assuming this game gets a 90+ Metacritic like it potentially can, it may just sell really well. Would be the first AAA PS4 exclusive to do so, and the very first that isn't cross-gen or a remaster.

Aces&Eights

I'm not one to use reviews to make a purchase decision but especially in this case, I already know I will like this game and couldn't give a rat's behind about embargos. From the 30 minute stream I watched yesterday this game is everything I could have possibly hoped for. The setting, the gameplay, the creatures, the weapons, the pacing, the lore....

Not to be hyperbolic but this is most likely going to be the best game I have played in a long, long while. Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

jaaz

GAF has a serious problem with people getting defensive about games they're excited for. Honestly, circling the wagons in OTs and hype train threads is one of the worst things that goes on here and it deserves to be called out whenever it happens.

I would argue that GAF has just as serious--if not more--problem with people concern trolling threads where members express excitement about an exclusive game. In this environment, when another member makes a "concern" comment not rooted in fact, people are naturally going to react suspiciously.

Since when has a Souls game been niche? Even the original Demon's Souls did extremely well.
They're still generally low-key in the broader mindshare of the market. I'd be willing to bet if you asked any random shopper at Gamestop if they know Demon's Souls, most wouldn't have heard about it. I think "niche" more refers to the game's appeal anyway. I don't think the Souls games/Bloodborne appeal to a broad range of the gaming populace.

Aces&Eights

Since when has a Souls game been niche? Even the original Demon's Souls did extremely well.

I completely agree. To further support this point, this game is coming out while the PS4 is selling like hot cakes and there are A LOT of people new to the ecosystem that never played Demon's Souls. Some might have played Dark Souls but to me, that was niche as only people who played demon's really knew about it. Now, we have GAF threads up the wazoo and it is a PS4 exclusive that is being heavily advertised. Heck, in the Spoiler Thread yesterday there were quite a few people saying, "This will be my first Souls experience! I'm excited and terrified all at the same time!"

This game is going to sell like gangbusters.

Vanmunt

Banned
Demons Souls blew my mind, bought it on the back of Eurogamers brilliant review.. though I couldn't feel the love of the Dark Souls series. Looking forward to the co-op dungeons the most with friends.

Hopefully my Don Bradman cricket addiction will start to abate in 2 weeks, cannot stop playing it.. horses and courses and all that!!!

Afrodium

Banned
I would argue that GAF has just as serious--if not more--problem with people concern trolling threads where members express excitement about an exclusive game. In this environment, when another member makes a "concern" comment not rooted in fact, people are naturally going to react suspiciously.

But what's the big deal? The last page or two of this thread is now mostly about review embargoes when it should be about press previews. We got a bunch of new impressions but all we can do is yell at one guy who may or may not be a "concern troll." This wouldn't be a problem if people didn't care so much.

For those who are fans of Dark Souls and Demon Souls, Bloodborne is right up your street. It’s just not for me

So hopefully they have a fan of the series to do the review at this site? Otherwise, its a tainted review without even starting in on it. If the series " is not for me " then you will not enjoy the gameplay no matter how quality it is.

And now you can't be a niche title and still be a " console defining " title? Whatever that means.

Love it.

In this context, I think niche just means it doesn't hold casual/reviewers hands.

Nah hes using niche in the classic sense. Doesn't appeal but to a narrow range of people.

They're still generally low-key in the broader mindshare of the market. I'd be willing to bet if you asked any random shopper at Gamestop if they know Demon's Souls, most wouldn't have heard about it.

I wouldn't go that far, I mean I have overheard in my local gamestop back in the day that Demon's Souls was like getting kicked in the balls repeatedly. This was one customer speaking to another about possibly purchasing the game.

What bothers me most about this... How does one even know what it is like to be repeatedly kicked in the balls. What does one have to do to be continually kicked in the balls instead of just once?

Aces&Eights

I wouldn't go that far, I mean I have overheard in my local gamestop back in the day that Demon's Souls was like getting kicked in the balls repeatedly. This was one customer speaking to another about possibly purchasing the game.

What bothers me most about this... How does one even know what it is like to be repeatedly kicked in the balls. What does one have to do to be continually kicked in the balls instead of just once?

You've never been divorced, have you? :)

444444444444444pvuo5.png

Nabbis

Nah hes using niche in the classic sense. Doesn't appeal but to a narrow range of people.

There's always a first time. PS2 gen games that sold like hot cakes were far less mass market material than the modern ones are. I mean really, MGS2 is pedantic as hell compared to modern games. Yet it sold 7 million.

I have actually yet to hear of a gamer who has not at the very least heard of DS. Though that fame came long after it's PS3 release.

So hopefully they have a fan of the series to do the review at this site? Otherwise, its a tainted review without even starting in on it. If the series " is not for me " then you will not enjoy the gameplay no matter how quality it is.

Many of these previews are claiming that this is the Souls game that can bring in the casual audience. Therefore, I don't think someone with a predisposition against Souls games would necessarily "taint" a review; the opposite, in fact. I look forward to seeing what Bloodborne can do towards broadening the genre's audience, without having diluted the product. Reviews from "casual" reviewers are crucial towards that end.

Top Bottom