• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne will support up to 5 players online.

Finalow

never had 5 players online in any souls game, it wasn't possible at all or it was just very very hard to make that happen. not sure about DkS 2 remaster/update, 6 players? Really?
now considering that we hardly know how co-op works and we have no idea about the pvp system (we can assume that it's something similar to the other games) this could mean "5 players regularly, enjoy the brothel" or just "5 players if you get very lucky as in it probably won't happen."

I hope this won't a) have a too big impact on performance and b) that they use a better netcode than Dark Souls 2.
honestly? DkS 2 netcode is the one, out of all the 3 games, that worked better for me. so if it's anything like that I won't complain *too much*, because obviously that was far from being great.

Booshka

Doesn't make this any less stupid if it's true. Removing something we had before that makes the game more fun for a lot of people just sounds like a bad idea. The most fun I've had in the series was playing through the whole game with one of my friends after playing through it solo. I'm ok with the bell being random, but we should still be able to summon a friend if we want via some other method.

That's a Miyazaki thing, he never wanted arranged co op to be a thing in the Souls games, he likes the idea of strangers coming in to help you, then both of you go your separate ways.

I think first playthrough should definitely adhere to this design philosophy, but there should be a way for friends to arrange co op for NG+ or subsequent new playthroughs.

I did full co op runs of Dark Souls with 3 different friends, and it was fantastic, but my first playthrough was with strangers, and mostly solo. Seeing as that is Miyazaki's vision, I am totally fine with that being the norm for first playthrough.

gioGAF

Dark Souls 2's netcode shits all over the originals, regardless of how you look at it.
Wtf are you talking about? Demon's Souls was on dedicated servers, the online experience was way better than either DkS1 or DkS2.

Wtf are you talking about? Demon's Souls was on dedicated servers, the online experience was way better than either DkS1 or DkS2.

I meant compared to the original Dark Souls, which was peer to peer based and resulted in crazy teleporting most of the time.

Demon's Souls definitely has the best online though, I should have explained my post better.

gioGAF

I meant compared to the original Dark Souls, which was peer to peer based and resulted in crazy teleporting most of the time.

Demon's Souls definitely has the best online though, I should have explained my post better.
Okay, I can see why you would say that ;-)

On topic, I hope Bloodborne finds a way to balance PvE when there are multiple "blue phantoms" present. In past Souls games, you could steamroll over most areas + bosses with one blue in tow. If you can have 2 blue phantoms, things could get ugly for the bad guys.

hopefully it's matchmaking, i hate the stupid summon stone BS. just let me join with people around my level and do what i want.

kpaadet

Doesn't make this any less stupid if it's true. Removing something we had before that makes the game more fun for a lot of people just sounds like a bad idea. The most fun I've had in the series was playing through the whole game with one of my friends after playing through it solo. I'm ok with the bell being random, but we should still be able to summon a friend if we want via some other method.

You want your friend to help you? Get out casual!
Only half joking.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Dark Souls II still relies on P2P. It simply uses dedicated servers for matchmaking, which certainly makes connecting to other players easier, but the actual fights are just as full of crazy bullshit as in the first Dark Souls.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Ganking will evolve to a whole new monster known as mega ganking. Let the destruction and comebacks begin. I wanna see Oro do something stupid and try going 1v4 lol

Booshka

Ganking will evolve to a whole new monster known as mega ganking. Let the destruction and comebacks begin. I wanna see Oro do something stupid and try going 1v4 lol

No matter how many Gankers they throw at us, as long as there is Gravity to aid in our fight, Invaders will always have a chance.

g23

European pre-madonna
What's the online component like? is it 5 people clearing out a dungeon pve style?

Dark Souls II still relies on P2P. It simply uses dedicated servers for matchmaking, which certainly makes connecting to other players easier, but the actual fights are just as full of crazy bullshit as in the first Dark Souls.

I guess I've just had a lot of luck with my two playthroughs then.

On topic, I hope Bloodborne finds a way to balance PvE when there are multiple "blue phantoms" present. In past Souls games, you could steamroll over most areas + bosses with one blue in tow. If you can have 2 blue phantoms, things could get ugly for the bad guys.

Limited healing when doing co-op I hope, especially during boss fights.

Kane1345

I hope there will be an option to summon specific friends to your game. My gf and I were going to play this through together.

That's a Miyazaki thing, he never wanted arranged co op to be a thing in the Souls games, he likes the idea of strangers coming in to help you, then both of you go your separate ways.

I think first playthrough should definitely adhere to this design philosophy, but there should be a way for friends to arrange co op for NG+ or subsequent new playthroughs.

I did full co op runs of Dark Souls with 3 different friends, and it was fantastic, but my first playthrough was with strangers, and mostly solo. Seeing as that is Miyazaki's vision, I am totally fine with that being the norm for first playthrough.

This is exactly how I am, not even just in this series. I ALWAYS play by myself first so I can take everything in and not feel rushed. I'd be perfectly cool with it only being possible after NG+ for specific friends. It just adds a nice amount of extra replayability to the game. I played for 300 hours before playing with my friend and thought I had tired of it at that point but it made it somewhat fresh again. Not to mention all of the laughs that were had.

You want your friend to help you? Get out casual!
Only half joking.

You missed the part where I said I play it solo first lol. Not like this series is that hard if you've been playing since Demon's. I play at least to NG++ before playing with others since enough changes in NG+ to warrant another solo playthrough.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I guess I've just had a lot of luck with my two playthroughs then.

Well, From did add the option to disable cross-region playing. If you have that enabled, you may well notice a difference in lag and such compared to DaS1, where you could potentially play against people halfway around the globe.

You're doing god's work. I've convinced a couple people to get it just by showing them gameplay videos. I want From and Sony to know for damn sure that this is the kind of game we want more of.

showed some people gameplay and let some others borrow my demon souls and stuff

I lot of people who never played a souls game want to try it out with Bloodborne

Kyoufu

I skipped Dark Souls 2 so this is new to me. They should let one person play as a boss monster against 4 players in Chalice Dungeon. That would be amazeballs.

Cyborg

Dark Souls 2's Scholar of the First Sin update will support up to 6

10-HighSpec-OnlinePlay.0.jpg

Looks so bad :( graphics are so meh.

Kssio_Aug

I aggree. I dont care too much for PvP or co-op with strangers in Souls games, thats why I finished Dark Souls solo.

tcrunch

Well, From did add the option to disable cross-region playing. If you have that enabled, you may well notice a difference in lag and such compared to DaS1, where you could potentially play against people halfway around the globe.

The only difference disabling cross-region play makes in Dark Souls 2 is if you disable it you can't interact with people from Japan. The "regions" defined by the game are Japan and Not-Japan.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The only difference disabling cross-region play makes in Dark Souls 2 is if you disable it you can't interact with people from Japan. The "regions" defined by the game are Japan and Not-Japan.

Thank you, I did not actually know that. But considering around 70 percent of the people I dueled with in Dark Souls were from Japan and I'm living in Midwest US, even that demarcation alone can make quite the difference. That was on PS3, though.

I skipped Dark Souls 2 so this is new to me. They should let one person play as a boss monster against 4 players in Chalice Dungeon. That would be amazeballs.

Well you can invade in the Chalice iirc and there has been speculation that you can turn yourself into a beast so......

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Bloodborne is going to be awesome. going from 3 to 5 players opens some cool gameplay opportunities, from puzzles (unlikely) to MMORPG-style megabosses. Imagine 4 invaders at once in a special map where they spawn at 4 corners!

Some hectic fun will be had!

hitlerat

Sorry to bump thread ...
Will Bloodborne let us choose the friends to coop? I only played Demon souls and the coop/pvp are all with random people...

ty

Orayn

Sorry to bump thread ...
Will Bloodborne let us choose the friends to coop? I only played Demon souls and the coop/pvp are all with random people...

ty

Last we heard, it was supposed to be something like Dark Souls II where it's random players by default and there's a way to make it easier (but not guaranteed) to co-op with friends.

Top Bottom