• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained for Wii U cancelled in favor of Switch

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wii U owners are old school players by a big margin. Im sure many backed for Wii U version.
Not to mention the wii u really was in its stride at the time, 2014 to like early 2015 a lot of people were actually pretty upon wii u but then it became clear Nintendo slowed down development on it right when it was starting to get some decent sales

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck them, and fuck them because Vita is next, before they had another company to port UE4 (sort of) to Switch and Vita.. now with Vita only out of the equation it's only matter of time.
I'm sure they'll still receive development support on Vita, as opposed to the WiiU. The Vita isn't "WiiU dead"

Very good for them to made the decision.
Last thing we need is some unnecessary port such as the PS3 or Xbox 360 version to waste resource on and slow the development down. (*cough* Mighty No.9 *cough*)

Wii U owners needs to move on, I don't see PS3 owner complain about Bloodstained being only on the PS4.

Jacce

Banned
Wii U owners are old school players by a big margin. Im sure many backed for Wii U version.

I can't imagine a single Nintendo fan would want this on WiiU over Switch at this point. I backed it on WiiU but I would be extremely pissed off if this released on WiiU over Switch now since by the time this comes out Nintendo fans will have completely moved on.

This was announced before it was clear when Switch was coming.

indask8

I had backed the PS4; but I've selected the switch version now; I prefer being able to play anywhere rather than better graphics.

Admodieus

Another game where I will move my Kickstarter from PC to Switch. Loving it. Now announce a Switch version of Psychonauts 2 please.

I backed this for a Wii U version of the game, but I'm not at all disappointed that it's being moved to Switch. I'm playing my Switch regularly and will continue to do so. Looking forward to seeing some Switch footage!

You know, this is second Nintendo-focused kickstarter giving Wii U backers the finger. I gotta wonder what percentage was made up of Wii U pledges.
Probably less than you'd think. The Kickstarter had been unveiled for days (weeks?) by the time the WiiU stretch goal was announced and it had already amassed almost three million dollars worth of support and that was when it was only announced for PC, PS4 and XB1!

I'm sure it helped but it wasnt the reason it was a big success.

Are we talking about the same Wii U? This was probably the only third-party game announced that year.

Kickstarter happened in 2015, right? That was the year that saw Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Tokyo Mirage Sessions (In JP), Animal Crossing: Amiibo Fest, and Mario Tennis hit the system.

The system was, as much as it could, absolutely peaking in 2015.

Do we need to go over the 2017 release calendar to really drive this home to you? Let's see there's Zelda and... *crickets*

Nesther

I understand the decision. By the time this releases it'll be hard to find a Wii U on storeshelves, I reckon.

Also now I gotta decide if I get it on Switch or PS4....

HardRojo

Really? The thing that bums me out about the Switch for 2D platformers is the absence of a d-pad. I actually prefer the separate buttons for occasional usage like swapping weapons and stuff, but I don't like using it as the main control. The day Nintendo sells an alternative left Joycon with a d-pad (ideally in the position where the left analogue stick currently is) can't come soon enough.

Ah yeah, that's a good point and part of the reason I'm sticking to the Pro Controller whenever possible when I get a Switch.

Durante

You know, this is second Nintendo-focused kickstarter giving Wii U backers the finger. I gotta wonder what percentage was made up of Wii U pledges.
In what way was this a Nintendo-focused Kickstarter?

The Wii U version was just a stretch goal.

(As was the Vita version. And both were and are really terrible ideas as I already argued for back then)

Kickstarter happened in 2015, right? That was the year that saw Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Tokyo Mirage Sessions (In JP), Animal Crossing: Amiibo Fest, and Mario Tennis hit the system.

The system was, as much as it could, absolutely peaking in 2015.

Do we need to go over the 2017 release calendar to really drive this home to you? Let's see there's Zelda and... *crickets*
No. We need you to go over the 2018 WiiU release calendar because that'll help, or something!

Boney

Banned
There was never a 3ds version (unless you're referring to the prequel mini game on 3DS which I assume is still on track).

They did announce a Vita version and it does seem that one's still on track though.
Ah, guess I just assumed it was! Makes sense since I was picturing it being not good

jholmes

Yes, that's correct, except that it's not correct.

Note: The actual reason for this is that Nintendo isn't interested to provide the kind of behind the scenes development support they need and it's uncertain if they'll still be certifying releases by the the time the game is out.

I don't know why you need to project like this. If you just responded with the truth, no one would have blinked an eye. Here's the post, pre-written for you: "I already own a Wii U and it's my preferred system. I don't plan on buying a Switch or any other system any time soon, so now I can't play this game that I paid for. This is disappointing for me. I guess I'll take the refund." It's totally okay for this announcement to simultaneously be the right decision for the project and bad news for you. That sucks, man. I'm sympathetic. I hate when I'm excited for something and it gets yanked out from under me.

I appreciate your sympathy in this difficult time.

x3sphere

I have a Wii U and I'm completely fine with this decision. I imagine a lot of Wii U owners are also getting the Switch so I doubt they'll get hit with a lot of refund requests.

Skeletos311

I backed this when they announced the Wii U version. I already bought a Switch, so I'm OK with this decision. Actually, I'm happy that they're doing this. I'd rather play anything on Switch over Wii U now.

I hope the development of the game goes smoothly from this point forward and we get to see the game again soon.

kunonabi

I can't imagine a single Nintendo fan would want this on WiiU over Switch at this point. I backed it on WiiU but I would be extremely pissed off if this released on WiiU over Switch now since by the time this comes out Nintendo fans will have completely moved on.

I would still prefer a Wii U version. I don't like Castletroids all that much and I like them even less without dual screens. The lack of a dpad on the switch doesn't help either. The Switch offers no real advantage aside from the visuals which probably still be downgrade compared to the PS4 version anyway.

Thud

"Height of its popularity"

Latest Kickstarter Wii U bait-and-switch, really tired of this shit.

I see what you did there justin.

Wii U was already far out of reach in terms of engine support, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

ramparter

Banned

I dont disagree at all, my point was what foxuzamaki said:

Not to mention the woo u really was in its stride at the time, 2014 to like early 2015 a lot of people were actually pretty upon wii u but then it became clear Nintendo slowed down development on it right when it was starting to get some decent sales

The decision to Switch to Switch is totally expected and fine.

Berordn

I would still prefer a Wii U version. I don't like Castletroids all that much and I like them even less without dual screens. The lack of a dpad on the switch doesn't help either. The Switch offers no real advantage aside from the visuals which probably still be downgrade compared to the PS4 version anyway.

There's portability and a console version in one on Switch, which is actually kind of tempting for me.

But if you're just using it as a console then no, there isn't.

Astral Dog

Portability.HD rumbly goodness

I hope they don't cancel the Vita version, the Wii U at least has a successor out in the market.
According to a podcast interview the guys on the Bloodstained forums did with Ben Judd a few months ago where he talked about the Switch port possibility we shouldn't have anything to worry about the Vita version getting canceled.

Zalman

Man, good on them for already announcing a physical version for Switch. A certain other Kickstarter still hasn't done that.

Expected, but I'm a bit surprised the Vita version hasn't been cancelled as well. I can't see that turning out well given the lack of UE4 support on the platform. If the Vita version actually ships, I expect it to be ugly as hell, at least 4-5 months late, and to frequently drop below 30fps.

(also, I'm reminded that the 3DS and Vita versions of Mighty No. 9 still haven't officially been cancelled AFAIK, lol)

BiggNife

Agree but thats what many said about Zelda U
Zelda is an exception in that it's the kind of insanely high profile game that would probably sell fine regardless of what system it was on. And even then, BotW is selling better on Switch for obvious reasons.

I see what you did there justin.

Wii U was already far out of reach in terms of engine support, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Porting an engine might be a bit of an arse but with a bit of work there's no reason wii u shouldnt have been able to run UE4

Ah yeah, that's a good point and part of the reason I'm sticking to the Pro Controller whenever possible when I get a Switch.

I'm not sure how widespread this sentiment is, but honestly when I was playing Shovel Knight this weekend I found myself preferring the JoyCon D-Pad buttons to the actual D-Pad of the Pro Controller. I'm not saying it's universally better -- I can certainly imagine that something like a 2D fighting game would be terrible with the JoyCon buttons -- but in this case I thought it was perfectly usable.

antibolo

Banned
Just changed my backer reward from Vita to Switch.

And seriously they should cancel the Vita port as well. Porting a UE4 game to Vita is just unrealistic, especially now in 2017/2018.

Top Bottom