• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Facebook unveiling $200 wireless Oculus VR headset in 2018

charpunk

I’d be willing to check this out if it has decent battery life. I liked my gear vr during the time I had a phone I could actually use with it.

hoserx

$200 headset not as good as $400 headset that requires beefy PC. "Sounds like crap"

ok

Yeah, I don't think that was the best way for them to put it. I'm not interested in either, I want it attached to a powerful machine, but calling it 'crap' before we even see it is awfully ignorant.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
it won't hit the mainstream even with wireless unless it gets positional tracking as well.

I'm not even talking about gaming use here. I'm saying that VR without positional tracking is uncomfortable and, yeah, potentially damaging to VR's future success.
Fully agreed. Positional tracking should be standard for all gen 2 devices. But guessing they haven't found a cheap solution yet for these cheaper wireless HMDs.

CALLED IT!!!
This is not the next gen Oculus HMD though. Not without positional tracking.

This is great for video content, which is easy to produce and has more mas market appeal. Makes sense, will see if it takes off.

I'd be willing to check this out if it has decent battery life. I liked my gear vr during the time I had a phone I could actually use with it.

same. If they can get around the overheating issue, too, we're talking something significantly awesome here.

I had a PSVR and enjoyed it, but i've been waiting on either google or oculus to make this announcement for some time. It's very surprising that this doesn't have positional tracking, but i guess at the price point this is the best that we can hope for. A better standalone Gear VR is a great thing and a BIG DEAL. I think that if 'Pacific' has a strong Oculus Store interface, allows you to play previously purchased GEAR VR games, and is completely standalone...

..at that price point, it's a home run. I'd almost rather have that over PSVR until VR completely matures into it's final form. Very excited about this news.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Fully agreed. Positional tracking should be standard for all gen 2 devices. But guessing they haven't found a cheap solution yet for these cheaper wireless HMDs.

This is not the next gen Oculus HMD though. Not without positional tracking.

Its not really a gen 2 devices. Its more like a category of its own (like a handheld to a home console). But VR isn't going to follow the standard iteration of upgrade pattern like the consoles for long. In the end, its all going to converge: mobile/standalone, positional tracking, high power, eye tracking, finger tracking etc.

I am just hoping it will be able to access Samsung Gear VR's library and app store.

Thraktor

The title should probably be changed to read "standalone wireless", just to clarify that this is a standalone VR device, not a Rift-style PC headset.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Its not really a gen 2 devices. Its more like a category of its own. VR isn't going to follow the standard iteration of upgrade pattern like the consoles for long. In the end, its all going to converge: mobile/standalone, positional tracking, high power, eye tracking, finger tracking etc.

I am just hoping it will be able to access Samsung Gear VR's library and app store.
Yea I can see that happening. Still seems like the next GearVR to me though and it definitely needs to support that Gear VR library if that's the case. They must nail this cause quality content is still scarce in VR.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I always said VR won't hit mainstream until they go wireless

Its already been mainstream. Mobile phones with Gear VR, Cardboard, etc.

Cant get more mainstream than smartphones.

I get your point tho, lol. Wireless and cheaper than Vive, Rift. The recent discount on Rift shows they are ready to take it there now.

Now this $200 headset.

Well, VR itself isn't conceptually a gaming peripheral.

I can certainly see Facebook being able to easily promote the telepresence experience of being on stage at your favorite bands sold out for months concert.

This too. Newspapers, magazines, etc had VR content for awhile now. Probably as long as mobile phones been doing VR.

Got a feeling this is more geared towards the mobile crowd than the Rift, Vive, PSVR crowd.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
we're getting there!

eventually mobile chips are going to be super powerful and wireless vr gonna be crazy

$200 headset not as good as $400 headset that requires beefy PC. "Sounds like crap"

ok

You're being sarcastic, but I think things like this do damage the image of VR overall. Because people will think this is all VR has to offer, and throw it away. You see it here all the time people who dismiss VR after not being impressed by Gear VR without realizing that Gear VR does not deliver an experience anywhere close to the immersion of high-end headsets.

Kind of a bait and switch in the OP there. This is a standalone headset not a wireless VR display. If we're gonna play this game we might as well call an ice chest a wireless freezer. On top of that there's no positional tracking which makes the value add over an upgrade to a phone that anyone in the market for this would already have and could make functionally equivalent for less money. I get the appeal of trying to make VR into an easy mass-market stratum but this literally adds nothing to what already exists on top of failing to be all that compelling in the first place.

Its already been mainstream. Mobile phones with Gear VR, Cardboard, etc.

Cant get more mainstream than smartphones.

I get your point tho, lol. Wireless and cheaper than Vive, Rift. The recent discount on Rift shows they are ready to take it there now.

Now this $200 headset.

This too. Newspapers, magazines, etc had VR content for awhile now. Probably as long as mobile phones been doing VR.

Got a feeling this is more geared towards the mobile crowd than the Rift, Vive, PSVR crowd.

Gear VR sold a lot yes but what kind of ongoing active engagement is there? It's more than possible that this was another dust-gathering Wii/Kinect fad situation. I'm not convinced there's any serious momentum in the mobile VR space. Anecdotal, sure, but I've yet to run into literally anyone besides myself who's used it for more than a few days.

I'm not sure I see myself picking one up, since I already have a Gear VR I never use anymore now that I have PSVR. But I like the concept and I hope it does well.

C.Mongler

Got excited at first, and then after reading it sounded like a $200 standalone VR YouTube video player and cheesy 10-polygon VR demo station. Lame.

megalowho

Curious to see what the middle ground looks like and exciting we're getting our first standalone headset so soon.

A bit skeptical that the functionality seems much closer in line with a Gear or Daydream than the console/PC path. Will this really be a significantly better experience from what's currently available on mobile? Is the standalone aspect that much more convenient and compelling to make this the entry level choice over what's already out there? Hard to imagine it will be but have to start somewhere.

What is the point of VR goggles if there is no position tracking?

You may as well just get one of these:

viewfinder-flash.png

megalowho

I don't expect positional tracking at this price point yet, but that doesn't mean entry level devices are worthless. It still approximates your head movements in 3D space and there's still an initial "wow" factor if you've never tried VR. It can be adequate for certain use cases when paired with a remote that also has (limited) tracking capability, but agreed it's no substitute for the real thing.

Mindwipe

I really can't see how you could possibly launch a Qualcomm based platform that had more graphics power than an S8 at $200.

You can probably launch one that is functionally equivalent to an 835 at $350/$400 by then, but even that would be extremely unlikely and you'd be operating at a loss.

klaushm

I really can't see how you could possibly launch a Qualcomm based platform that had more graphics power than an S8 at $200.

You can probably launch one that is functionally equivalent to an 835 at $350/$400 by then, but even that would be extremely unlikely and you'd be operating at a loss.

Exactly my point. It is unfair to say it will be better than Gear VR when it's almost an skeleton. If it is better than Gear VR and Daydream with their respective mobile devices, then congrats to them. It seems unlikely.

The point is the tech isn't there for a compelling product to exist at this price point yet. This is like putting down people criticizing the idea of a $3000 formula 1 racer. Like of course WE know it's not gonna be up to par with a standard F1 vehicle and fine, sure, maybe there's a market for people out there who wanna try formula 1 racing but don't have the cash/means to buy the real thing, but if it is marketed as and unknowing people buy it expecting anything close to an actual F1 experience, in the way that this thing almost assuredly will, people are gonna be sorely disappointed or at the very least nonplussed. And unlike $3000 F1 racers there's an actual realistic roadmap to a compelling and affordable VR product that could have chilled sales as a result of this down the line.

Can someone please explain to me what kind positional tracking is talked about here? Enhanced head-tracking for looking around or actual moving through a room?

As a disabled person I've been waiting for a decent VR headset option that allows me to play fully seated without having to move my arms :/

Can someone please explain to me what kind positional tracking is talked about here? Enhanced head-tracking for looking around or actual moving through a room?

As a disabled person I've been waiting for a decent VR headset option that allows me to play fully seated without having to move my arms :/

From what it sounds like this thing will purely track the rotation of the headset and nothing more, no forward/backward/translational movement, no motion controls besides maybe some rudimentary gyro tilting.

FWIW Oculus rift launched with a standard xbox gamepad only and the majority of its library is playable with just that.

*Splinter

[*]No positional tracking
An impressive package at that price, but this right here is a deal breaker for me.

Edit: lack of motion controls is honestly fine. My favourite VR games have not used motion controls.

If anyone is interested in budget VR but doesn't have a compatible phone, this looks like a good option (at the moment)

From what it sounds like this thing will purely track the rotation of the headset and nothing more, no forward/backward/translational movement, no motion controls besides maybe some rudimentary gyro tilting.

FWIW Oculus rift launched with a standard xbox gamepad only and the majority of its library is playable with just that.

Thanks for the explanation, from what I read and heard this kind of positional tracking seems to be very important and makes this device wholly mediocre to me.

Also I'm aware of that, I'm still waiting for VR to become a bit more affordable to take the plunge but I was getting worried that this kind of VR experience will become niche and full-movement VR will be the norm with non-motion VR becoming rare, it seems my worries are largely unfounded though thankfully.

Kevin

If this is the future of Rift, then I am out. Will look into what competitors are doing for their next gen VR sets.

This just sounds like a Gear VR competitor and that's not a good thing. The internal phone specs means it will only run games that would run on your typical cell phones. This means the games you already own, will almost certainly not run on this set.

No positional tracking means a watered down vr experience and will take you out of the experience a lot. Also no motion controls. Gross.

UNLESS Oculus has a few ace cards up their sleeves like maybe they found a new way to do tracking or maybe roomscale/AR without the need of the sensor arrays then there is nothing here to convince me. At $200 I very much doubt there will be any really cool tech surprises.

Sounds like Oculus is about to target the lower class of VR customers. Gear VR clones are becoming a dime a dozen and well Oculus wants to make a splash in that market and are working on something that no longer appeals to me.

I also wonder if this is the reason that the rumored Oculus Rift Xbox One X plan did not work out...

BigBusiness

Neo Member
Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but can someone explain what positional tracking adds to the experience?

Relatively new to the VR game, although I've tried a bit of Samsung VR and PSVR on separate occasions.

rambis

Banned
Wait revealing in 2018? Bleh. I honestly thought we would be advancing further and faster than this by now.

cakely

Head tracking allows you to move your head in three-dimensional space, so for example you could lean forward to peer at something on a virtual table, or peek your head around a virtual corner.

Without head tracking all you can control is the direction that you can look: your viewpoint is fixed in space.

Tain

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but can someone explain what positional tracking adds to the experience?

Relatively new to the VR game, although I've tried a bit of Samsung VR and PSVR on separate occasions.

Not having your virtual viewpoint reflect the subtle movements of your head (beyond rotation) makes basic VR use less comfortable and the sense of "being there" way less powerful, even if the game you're playing doesn't call for movement beyond simply looking around.

Furthermore, VR headsets without positional tracking so far have lacked the ability to anchor themselves to the real world, so to speak, causing the gyro-based rotational tracking to drift over time.

Bookoo

If you have used Samsung you will notice that leaning does not do anything within the headset. The only thing GearVR is tracking is the movement of your head.

PSVR has positional tracking because it is using the camera to track the lights on the front of the headset. This allows you to crouch down or lean forward to get closer to objects in game etc.

Top Bottom