• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Facebook unveiling $200 wireless Oculus VR headset in 2018

Bookoo

I said I CALLED IT! Y'ALL CANT DENY ME MY RIGHT!

denied.jpg

Kevin

I think I'm completely done with Oculus and after that insane Rift deal, I suspected that they are simply trying to clear out inventory and abandon the Oculus Rift. Then today this story hits. Oculus will attempt a relaunch next year with a low quality Gear VR knockoff.

Might be time to sell my Rift now before it's no longer supported and going for $50 on ebay.

I should have went with Vive. I hope HTC or somebody else steps up and offers a true next gen VR experience.

coughlanio

I think I'm completely done with Oculus and after that insane Rift deal, I suspected that they are simply trying to clear out inventory and abandon the Oculus Rift. Then today this story hits. Oculus will attempt a relaunch next year with a low quality Gear VR knockoff.

Might be time to sell my Rift now before it's no longer supported and going for $50 on ebay.

I should have went with Vive. I hope HTC or somebody else steps up and offers a true next gen VR experience.

Uh, HTC are doing the exact same thing with the Vive standalone. People need to start understanding that the future of mainstream VR is in these lower end, standalone devices. Your average Joe isn't going to go out and buy a $400-800 headset and $1000 PC on a whim.

12Dannu123

Welp, I was super wrong they weren't going to announce a new headset.

This makes the price cut seem like they're on the way out of the PC space.

If that is the case, then it's more to do with Microsoft then anybody else. There's no point developing for a ecosystem tied/trapped to a PC and inside that trapped PC is trapped to Win32 and no where else to expand, something that's not the case for MS and their AR/VR platform. The same case applies to Valve.

Oculus has Gear VR, this headset/Santa Cruz that runs on Gear VR software. So a piece of their ecosystem survives, however Rift/Valve's ecosystem will never survive a transition to Portable VR.

Sounds like a Gear with the phone included. And I'm not sure why would somebody want that.

I'm thinking the same and the only thing I can think of is ignorance and lack of information. This is going to be as damaging to VR as people trying Google Cardboard and nope'ing the fuck out.

Wollan

I mean, the form factor will likely be noticeably smaller than a Gear VR being a full custom design and not having to facilitate a phone.

Mindwipe

The point is the tech isn't there for a compelling product to exist at this price point yet. This is like putting down people criticizing the idea of a $3000 formula 1 racer. Like of course WE know it's not gonna be up to par with a standard F1 vehicle and fine, sure, maybe there's a market for people out there who wanna try formula 1 racing but don't have the cash/means to buy the real thing, but if it is marketed as and unknowing people buy it expecting anything close to an actual F1 experience, in the way that this thing almost assuredly will, people are gonna be sorely disappointed or at the very least nonplussed. And unlike $3000 F1 racers there's an actual realistic roadmap to a compelling and affordable VR product that could have chilled sales as a result of this down the line.

I'm not "putting it down", I'm saying that the silicon cost estimates set out in the article aren't even remotely plusible, and therefore the entire rumour is probably bollocks.

I'd really rather they focus on a $200 headset for use with PC etc. Not really sure how another GearVR is supposed to help the market since the quality is so low everyone drops it as a gimmick almost immediately.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Uh, HTC are doing the exact same thing with the Vive standalone.

No, they are not. Their standalone headset which is based on Google's Daydream has positional tracking. Which is the minimum requirement to provide a decent VR experience. A VR headset without positional tracking is like selling coloured glass as diamonds.
It will rather sour people on VR than convince them.

I find it funny how this thread contrasts with this one: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1375713

"Google to launch standalone VR headset w/inside-out tracking"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Welp, I was super wrong they weren't going to announce a new headset.

This makes the price cut seem like they're on the way out of the PC space.

technically speaking every VR manufacturers will make their way out of the PC space in the end, so people wont need a smartphone or a pc to run VR.

But in the near future, you are super wrong.

No, they are not. Their standalone headset which is based on Google's Daydream has positional tracking. Which is the minimum requirement to provide a decent VR experience. A VR headset without positional tracking is like selling coloured glass as diamonds.
It will rather sour people on VR than convince them.

"Google to launch standalone VR headset w/inside-out tracking"

The standalone headset that Google Daydream is collaborating with Lenovo and HTC , will cost as much as a Rift/Vive though, which means 2 to 3 times more than this $200 headset. So its either positional tracking and few hundred more to its price tag, or no positional tracking and a budget price tag

bounchfx

VR without positional tracking was underwhelming. it was only after I tried vive with the lighthouse system that I was sold. totally immersive whereas helmet 3d was kinda just that

VR has a ways to go but you can definitely glimpse the potential with what we have. It's gonna be dope as fuck in a few years

tsundoku

ah yeah, all those devs who have no idea what's going on in the field they spend all day working in

The same fucking morons who traipse about every day declaring "unequivocal truths" about motion sickness in VR that are flat out false?

Tain

The same fucking morons who traipse about every day declaring "unequivocal truths" about motion sickness in VR that are flat out false?

idk who you're referring to specifically, but pretty much every VR enthusiast I've interacted with acknowledges that it's a thing that exists in some kinds of software and affects different people to different degrees

Kevin

VR without:

-Positional tracking
-Motion controls
-Roomscale

is just not worth bothering with and I say this as someone who has tried Gear VR and the Oculus Rift.

Top Bottom