• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBAMON: POKKEN TOURNAMENT Sees Red Numbers in Japanese Arcade

Resilient

Somebody give Miku the tag that Sn4ke_911 has..

miku
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(Today, 03:05 PM)

Tamanator

Nothing to see here, especially since this one arcade was able to sell their unit. So obviously it is profitable for other operators. If it starts becoming a trend, then perhaps it truly has failed as an arcade game. We'll see how the home console release fares in both Japan and worldwide.

Saw Pokken at the Pokemon Center at Osaka station this past Sunday . Barely anybody playing the game and one kid seemed to beg his father to play it and he told him it "wasn't a proper pokemon game", lol.

JoeM86

I don't like how sites are portraying it as failing country wide. It's just one arcade doing it because it's not profitable. Others are not. When we're getting more reports, then it's a "bomba".

xzeldax3

Saw Pokken at the Pokemon Center at Osaka station this past Sunday . Barely anybody playing the game and one kid seemed to beg his father to play it and he told him it "wasn't a proper pokemon game", lol.
Dad laying down the cold, hard, facts of life.

Played it on a Taito Center or someting like that in Akibahara last summer.

Game was fun, but not appealing to the classic arcade player.

Make a rythm Pokémon arcade game. Those arcades had big lines to play.

While this thread is definitely sensational, it would not surprise me in the least if this game would flop both in the Arcade and at home. Have people really been waiting for this? A very limited number of Pokémon fighting in a Tekken like game (with super simple controls?). I think the game removed all that which is really interesting about Pokémon - actually training them to fight. Another Pokémon Stadium would have been neat...

NaviLink

Been to Japan a couple of weeks ago, Pokken was in every single Arcade I've been to, it's quite popular. Clickbait thread.

Zalman

I read this yesterday and I knew someone would make a thread about it and make it seem worse than it really is.

Teknoman

Just hurry up any bring the home version with flawless online play.

Also lol at Pokémon dad. How long until parents are calling their kids casuals or having a heart to heart about EVs :p

Been to Japan a couple of weeks ago, Pokken was in every single Arcade I've been to, it's quite popular. Clickbait thread.

When I was in Japan for TGS, it was the opposite. Everyone was playing this Gundam arcade game.

I tried Pokken... I didn't like it at all. It was jarring to switch between 2D and 3D while using a D-Pad. I only had one match, but I'll stick to Smash I think...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just hurry up any bring the home version with flawless online play.

Also lol at Pokémon dad. How long until parents are calling their kids casuals or having a heart to heart about EVs :p
Eh competitive Pokemon already has"dynasties" so let's see if it carries on to the next family generation.

Apenheul

The cabinets next to Hakata station seem to be doing just fine, not spectacularly well but I see people playing it regularly. Played it myself too a couple of times and it really does feel like Tekken but with more emphasis on manoeuvring and long distance attacks and less emphasis on guarding. I think the slim roster restricts the popularity for now.

JoeM86

I'm fairly certain the post you quoted was not meant to be taken seriously.

You'd be surprised, there's a surprisingly strong Yo-kai Watch fanbase here. I've been accosted on Twitter because I dared to say about falling ratings and merchandise sales on a thread here on GAF with my concern about Level 5 Level 5ing the franchise, with them making out like I hate the series and am trying to sabotage it when that's far from the truth.

As such, it's hard to tell when people are serious or not :p

#notallgamecenters

When I was in Japan for TGS, it was the opposite. Everyone was playing this Gundam arcade game.

I tried Pokken... I didn't like it at all. It was jarring to switch between 2D and 3D while using a D-Pad. I only had one match, but I'll stick to Smash I think...

Gundam Extreme VS Maxi Boost has been top of the charts for the past year since it released, only switching between Tekken 7 just recently. The Gundam EXVS series is a monster there.

Pokken appears to be doing well enough though. Here's a list of the top 5 conventional arcade games in August.

Conventional cabinets list:

1. Tekken 7
Bandai Namco Entertainment

2. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS
Maxi boost

3. Pokkén Tournament

4. Dragon Ball ZENKAI Battle Royale
Super Saiyan awakening

5. Ultra Street Fighter IV
Capcom

Madao

Pokemon + Tekken is already a pretty weird crossover. when i tell people about this game, they think i'm joking at first. it's no wonder some places don't have people playing the game.

Somebody give Miku the tag that Sn4ke_911 has..

miku
If I ever post something in English which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(Today, 03:05 PM)

fixed

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's one game center. Also it's an expected trend. The usual boom of something new that slowly drifts down until they find a mean to drift.

Hell Pokken just did an event with new support mons Mismagus and Ninetales.

Whimsicott is still the best support it seems.

JoeM86

#notallgamecenters

Gundam Extreme VS Maxi Boost has been top of the charts for the past year since it released, only switching between Tekken 7 just recently. The Gundam EXVS series is a monster there.

Pokken appears to be doing well enough though. Here's a list of the top 5 conventional arcade games in August.

Conventional cabinets list:

1. Tekken 7

2. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS
Maxi boost

3. Pokkén Tournament

4. Dragon Ball ZENKAI Battle Royale
Super Saiyan awakening

5. Ultra Street Fighter IV
Capcom

Have you got a source for that Top 5? It might help me calm the Pokémon community somewhat.

JoeM86

Should have made Youkken instead clearly, silly Bamco.

To be fair, this game was The Pokémon Company's idea.

Bandai Namco came to them asking for a few songs for Taiko Drum Master again (which they often oblige) and Tsunekazu Ishihara agreed but also pitched the idea and bam.

Oregano

To be fair, this game was The Pokémon Company's idea.

Bandai Namco came to them asking for a few songs for Taiko Drum Master again (which they often oblige) and Tsunekazu Ishihara agreed but also pitched the idea and bam.

It was a joke, no need to be so insecure.

Danneee

Saw these when I was I Tokyo a couple of weeks ago but never tried one. Didn't look alll that fun and using a controller as input seemed like a weird design choice.
And I never once saw anyone play one either so it sure doesn't seem popular.

Boss Doggie

Now I'm not sure if you're serious. Does the Pokemon community need this much coddling?

I guess he means the twitter community, which is very uh... volatile. PokeGAF is fine (in fact we're more concerned about Build-a-Bear Pikachu). I'd actually say /vp/ but that place is troll-fest at this hour (seriously, /v/ has a better discussion about this than /vp/).

Except I'm Japanese, but my English is crap though. Forgive me.

So Japanese people are also making sensational threads? I thought you were over this :(

Arf it seems the thing happening to some Japanese visiting France may happen to me if I visit Japan. You're not a little US yet like UK? Please... :/

Piers

I'd imagine flopping in one arcade is still a bad omen. Pokemon by brand recognition alone is suppose to draw in players. D-pad for a 3D fighter also seems completely bizarre.

Golnei

D-pad for a 3D fighter also seems completely bizarre.

They were inspired by the universal praise garnered by Other M's revolutionary use of a D-pad to navigate 3D spaces. Harada has learned so much from Team Ninja.

Dpads are actually really common in the Western Tekken community.

I spoke too soon, I had no idea. How did that come about, and why is it just a thing with Western players?

Boss Doggie

I'd imagine flopping in one arcade is still a bad omen. Pokemon by brand recognition alone is suppose to draw in players. D-pad for a 3D fighter also seems completely bizarre.

it wouldn't have the same draw since different genre and device.

Pokken just did an event with new support mons Mismagus and Ninetales.
Darth-Vader-Nooooo.jpg
Typical that that the one pokemon I like that's been added so far is a support :/

Top Bottom