• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

StayDead

I want, nay need that Idea costume. Signed up for hangame. Hopefully they don't block me on thursday because of my UK IP.

Just beat the Superstar questline.

This games side quests just keep getting better and better. Admittedly this one was a lot of running around, but I loved the start/final parts, especially with Purin and the soldiers reactions to her.

Also... My god, I didn't kill someone! O_O

Farmed Idea to Level 9 Red Mage today, Tizz to level 9 Valk, Annies to Level 9 Black Mage (for Aspiru) and Ringabell to Level 9 White Mage.

My party went from 2 Black Mage, a Monk and a White Mage to now having a red mage in there. Really at some point want to go through and get everyone quite high levels on all the jobs, but for now I might just focus on getting everyones superstar levels high. Those shades on Tizz are awesome. :p

Early chapter 5 spoilers:

Ok, what. The world just rest and everything we've done has seemingly been for naught. Definitely seeing some Steins;Gate here. I love that all the previous sub bosses are back with new dialogue and development, also stronger than before. My first battle against Hollie actually saw me get my ass kicked! Though goddamn, way to make me feel like a dick for killing them. They're final back and forth was actually pretty sad.

Lolololololol chapter 5.

My god the water shrine boss kicked my ass for like an hour. The stronger versions of some of these bosses are a pain in the ass. Despite the fact that I could probably just zoom through each of the shrines pretty quickly, I can't help but want to re-fight all the sub quest bosses so I can get more info out of them.

Also, I recommend everybody read the journal. Not just the 100+ pages of journal entries, but also the character profiles. There's a lot of REALLY cool backstory and world building going on in there, in addition to the stuff in the game proper.

Sinople

The design choices really kill the momentum in and beyond chapter 5. Turned this from an incredibly enjoyable experience to a monumentally tedious one.

I'm here now, and yes it is. This will probably become the biggest criticism about the game.
I think the thing to do is to stop being OCD about doing every sub-quests several times and just follow the main quest.

I'm here now, and yes it is. This will probably become the biggest criticism about the game.
I think the thing to do is to stop being OCD about doing every sub-quests several times and just follow the main quest.

That's the thing, isn't it? If you just do the main quest and stop reseting the world/take the game to chapter 8, it's not really all that drawn out. I don't mind so much though because I want to see what the alternative versions of the villains have to say.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/software/index.html

Bravely Default going up on the JP eshop tomorrow, along with the older 1st party titles.

Currently still in Chapter 3
The stupid fucking glorified fetch quest for the Super Star job has been the worst part of the game for me so far. At least I learned you could go from one side of the map to the other, like a globe. Otherwise, mother fucker, I don't want to revisit every single town only to go back to where I started from just to complete a side-quest. Gragh.

Game is still good though.

Sinople

That's the thing, isn't it? If you just do the main quest and stop reseting the world/take the game to chapter 8, it's not really all that drawn out. I don't mind so much though because I want to see what the alternative versions of the villains have to say.

I'm in chapter 6 and only heard about ch. 7 and 8. But if, as you say, it's possible to skip those two and go directly to the final chapter, then that's not too bad. Still, it's kind of tedious after the awesome pacing of the first 4 chapters =/

The stupid fucking glorified fetch quest for the Super Star job has been the worst part of the game for me so far. At least I learned you could go from one side of the map to the other, like a globe. Otherwise, mother fucker, I don't want to revisit every single town only to go back to where I started from just to complete a side-quest. Gragh.

Hum... I hope you don't mind too much revisiting places already visited...

I'm in chapter 6 and only heard about ch. 7 and 8. But if, as you say, it's possible to skip those two and go directly to the final chapter, then that's not too bad. Still, it's kind of tedious after the awesome pacing of the first 4 chapters =/

Yeah.

You can go straight to the final chapter from chapter 5. 6-8 are completely optional.

Sinople

Yeah.

You can go straight to the final chapter from chapter 5. 6-8 are completely optional.

Chapter 6 is optional? :O
What did I do wrong?

Edit:
Curiosity had the better of me and I took a look at the wiki. Going through chapter 6 is apparently the proper way to do so I'm all good.

StayDead

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/software/index.html

Bravely Default going up on the JP eshop tomorrow, along with the older 1st party titles.

The end of that quest is well worth it.

Also while you're traversing the globe use it as an excuse to farm job points for other jobs. That's what I did.

Chapter 6 is optional? :O
What did I do wrong?

Edit:
Curiosity had the better of me and I took a look at the wiki. Going through chapter 6 is apparently the proper way to do so I'm all good.

Yeah. I just looked again and it would appear that the true ending is only available if you do the three cycles.

Sinople

Yeah. I just looked again and it would appear that the true ending is only available if you do the three cycles.

I saw that too but I'll go with the "normal" route at the end of ch. 6 for my first playthrough. Hopefully there's some kind of new game + that let you do the other route without having to start again from the beginning.

This page is becoming a wall of spoiler texts, lol.

jae

Related to the above about chapter 6+

You can "end" the game any time, but you have to go through and clear chapter 8 to get the true ending. It's stupid because nothing even changes after chapter 6. After you beat the last boss you can make a clear save which will put you back at right before you released the last set of crystals. I was really tired of releasing the crystals by that point so I put the game up on the shelf. Didn't bother going back out to the overworld to see if the bonus dungeon was still there without going through the steps again.

CinosAges

Chapter 5 and Last Class Spoilers:

So I have all but the last job, the evoker I think? Where does this job show up? I've heard you can miss things past Ch.5, but I've re-fought everything and I still haven't found it yet. Is it something I get in a later chapter or should I already have it by now?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea they planned to put this up on the e-Shop. What a pleasant surprise. Paying an exorbitant fee to import and having to deal with a cartridge was unappealing, but I'm all over this!

Downloading now.

StayDead

Chapter 4 Spoilers (Early on)

The battle between Victoria/Victor and my party was so intense. Got creamed the first time, but then I realised if I reflected my entire party they couldn't damage me. It got really tense as the fight went on and I lost my mana. I killed Victor first as his dark was really powerful, but I later learnt when Victoria used Curse that it was probably better to kill her first.

Either way I managed to scrape enough mana to get Tizz back to life on the turn I killed her so he didn't miss out on 999 job points. Pretty amazing fight though, went in with my alt party of red mage, valkyrie, black mage and white mage and it works out pretty well. Looking forward to playing around with both the new classes.

Story spoilers (from before previous spoiler)

I really found Victoria's story quite sad, same goes for Victors. That and the bit of story before about how they harness the crystals power to ressurect/keep people alive finally gives reason as to why eternia doesn't want their crystals power unleashed fully

I had no idea they planned to put this up on the e-Shop. What a pleasant surprise. Paying an exorbitant fee to import and having to deal with a cartridge was unappealing, but I'm all over this!

Downloading now.

So you can download internationally as long as you have a Japanese 3DS?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So you can download internationally as long as you have a Japanese 3DS?

Yep yep. Nintendo has always been awesome about this (well, since the Wii, at least). Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft do everything they can to make sure you can't purchase outside of the intended territory. Douchebags.

Anyway, this game is massive. 14,777 blocks. In comparison, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is 2,718 blocks and Pokédex 3D Pro is 3,347 blocks.

I might download BDFF2(?) if it's possible to transfer the play data to a 3DS game card. Assuming it goes up on the same day as the retail card version.

I really want to kill
Victoria

Famassu

Yep yep. Nintendo has always been awesome about this (well, since the Wii, at least). Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft do everything they can to make sure you can't purchase outside of the intended territory. Douchebags.

Anyway, this game is massive. 14,777 blocks. In comparison, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is 2,718 blocks and Pokédex 3D Pro is 3,347 blocks.
Umm... making a Japanese PSN account anywhere in the world & buying Japanese PSN $$$ (or yen yen yen) cards online is super-easy. It's super-expensive to buy hardware from Japan not to even mention risky (it's annoying if you get a shitty unit and have to start dealing with replacement units from the other side of the globe). Now... which one is the better alternative? I personally prefer the cheaper way that also doesn't lock me away from games bought from anywhere on Earth.

But hey, that's just me.

They don't do "everything they cn to make sure you can't purchase outside the intended territory" (or at least Sony doesn't). You can't use your Visa, but otherwise they haven't done anything to close you off from accounts of different regions (I have Japanese, British, US & Finnish PSN accounts that work just fine). Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to shit on consumers with their shitty region restrictions on both handhelds AND home consoles (not to even mention no separate profiles on at least home consoles).

StayDead

Just started Chapter 5.

What on earth just happened? OWEN IS ALIVE AGAIN? O_O

Want to play on, but my 3DS is almost out of battery I've played it so much today >_<!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Umm... making a Japanese PSN account anywhere in the world & buying Japanese PSN $$$ (or yen yen yen) cards online is super-easy. It's super-expensive to buy hardware from Japan not to even mention risky (it's annoying if you get a shitty unit and have to start dealing with replacement units from the other side of the globe). Now... which one is the better alternative? I personally prefer the cheaper way that also doesn't lock me away from games bought from anywhere on Earth.

But hey, that's just me.

They don't do "everything they cn to make sure you can't purchase outside the intended territory" (or at least Sony doesn't). You can't use your Visa, but otherwise they haven't done anything to close you off from accounts of different regions (I have Japanese, British, US & Finnish PSN accounts that work just fine). Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to shit on consumers with their shitty region restrictions on both handhelds AND home consoles (not to even mention no separate profiles on at least home consoles).

You're paying a premium any time you buy a Japanese PSN card. If you can find a place where I can buy it at a fair exchange rate, let me know. You need a credit card with a Japanese address tied to it to buy directly from PSN.

I agree that region locking is bullshit. I hate it, and am still angry at Nintendo for implementing it in the 3DS. With that said, now that so many games are getting or will be getting digital download versions, I much prefer having the ability to buy directly from the Japanese store than I do just being able to play physical copies from other regions. Obviously, the best system would be something that is completely region free, on which you can have multiple accounts for the various regions and pay with a credit card from anywhere.

Sinople

End of chapter 6:
Things are getting a little more interesting again. And the title screen now shows the secret hidden behind the subtitle :O

Related to the above about chapter 6+

You can "end" the game any time, but you have to go through and clear chapter 8 to get the true ending. It's stupid because nothing even changes after chapter 6. After you beat the last boss you can make a clear save which will put you back at right before you released the last set of crystals. I was really tired of releasing the crystals by that point so I put the game up on the shelf. Didn't bother going back out to the overworld to see if the bonus dungeon was still there without going through the steps again.

I see your point, I don't think anyone can say it's a good game design decision. With that said, I do like
how it appears through a countdown on Airy's wings and I really want to see what will happen.

StayDead

Read more spoilers than I probably should have, but
knowing the Steins;Gate scenario writer did this, I'm not surprised there's multiple loops (I really quite liked the ending of chapter 4, thought it was awesome and the beginning of Chapter 5 was pretty great too). I'm on the second one now and I guess the game loops again if you do all the side quests and go back into the pillar again?

I'm kind of confused about where I want to go next in Chapter 5.
It's somewhat overwhelming having all these sidequests again and not being sure which to do first.

I also really want to grind the job levels up, but I've not found the most efficient way, I tried doing 1 level at a time for all of them but swapping the jobs that often takes time. Any quicker ways people have found?

EDIT: Note to self,
do not go to do side quests until after levelling up some more. Got owned by Holly and Bailout. o_O

hongcha

Alright I'm in Chapter 3 and I've hit a roadblock.
I'm in the lava dungeon on the way to the fire crystal, the really long one with no save points. I got near the end twice only to get killed and lose 2+hours of work. My party is at level 42 and the jobs are red mage - super star - hunter - hunter, all around level 9. Any suggestions on a good party to get through this? The enemies in the third floor wipe me out because they counter each hit and do like 1000 damage each time. I can't seem to attack them before they attack me either.

EDIT: I got through it. For anyone else having problems, I just leveled up to 45 and had a party of [red mage - superstar - thief - hunter, all level 9~10] with fire defense rings.

Do any of you guys currently playing want to help a bro out with rebuilding his village by becoming 3DS friends?

My code: 1203-9402-8938

Rebuilding is easy, just use &#12493;&#12488;&#12501;&#12524;&#25307;&#24453;&#12288;once a day. The villagers keep working as long as the game is running, you don't even have to play.

StayDead

Rebuilding is easy, just use &#12493;&#12488;&#12501;&#12524;&#25307;&#24453;&#12288;once a day. The villagers keep working as long as the game is running, you don't even have to play.

Yup, I think I've got 4 friends on my 3DS with the game (didn't even realise) and that gave me the 4 abilink people I needed, but I've got 17 people just from &#12493;&#12488;&#12527;&#12524; and I finished rebuilding the town fully today.

I'll add you though.

My code is

0001-3269-2109

Thanks for that. Not sure if I get Abilink, but now I can properly experiment with it!

E: Odd, &#12493;&#12488;&#12501;&#12524; go to your village but friends don't?

Thanks for that. Not sure if I get Abilink, but now I can properly experiment with it!

E: Odd, &#12493;&#12488;&#12501;&#12524; go to your village but friends don't?

Yeah, 3DS friends do not go to the village. It's pretty stupid.

Try not to waste powerful AbiLinked moves on regular battles :p

Hobby

From an interview with Tomoya Asano regarding Bravely Default:

Q. Please tell me a problematic episode during development of Bravely Default.

A. Back when we were planning and working on Bravely Default, the game market was greatly changing with the rise of social games and the overseas game market. And in the midst of that, Bravely Default was developed with the intention of being a classic fantasy RPG with just Japanese game fans in mind, while also studying the good points of overseas games and social games.

http://mantan-web.jp/2012/11/04/20121103dog00m200020000c.html

Sinople

I finished the game yesterday, almost at 100% apart from a couple of entries in the bestiary and maximizing every job with every character.
I'm fairly pleased about myself as I found and beat the hidden boss
(the adventurer and his fox buddy)
without any guide =)

Chapter 5 and beyond really should have been condensed in one or two chapters maximum and they should have spent a little less in VA to create more actual content instead (new monsters and dungeons and more places to explore in towns), as the recycling is reaching some epic level here.
But despite its flaws, little or big, it's the most fun I had with a new JRPG since the PS2 era and I eagerly look forward to the sequel.

timmy

Is this the go-to thread for advice on this game? I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and really enjoying it. Something is driving me nuts, though. There's a marker on my map saying that I have a sub quest open in the city with the clock on the southeast continent, but when I go in, I can't find anything. Anyone know what I'm missing? It could be a language issue since my Japanese is weak.

hongcha

Is this the go-to thread for advice on this game? I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and really enjoying it. Something is driving me nuts, though. There's a marker on my map saying that I have a sub quest open in the city with the clock on the southeast continent, but when I go in, I can't find anything. Anyone know what I'm missing? It could be a language issue since my Japanese is weak.

Try going in at night.

Sinople

Wasn't this guy in 4 Heroes as well? Are there any direct references to that game?

Yes, same guy.
There's no direct reference to 4HoL though. It's like FF in this regard: the world and battle/game systems are different but they share the same overall feeling, the same monsters, a lot of abilities are the same and there's a couple of little references like the strongest sword being named after an important NPC in 4HoL.
I still don't get why they didn't name it Four Heroes of Light II.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
And back I am!

Btw Lord Ghirahim was right about the costume for Idea being the one from the social game. Though wonder if it will actually be useful. Since right now its too bad the costumes have stats attached to them rather than an option to turn on / off and lower defense at the end game just to look different is generally a bad idea.

And back I am!

Btw Lord Ghirahim was right about the costume for Idea being the one from the social game. Though wonder if it will actually be useful. Since right now its too bad the costumes have stats attached to them rather than an option to turn on / off and lower defense at the end game just to look different is generally a bad idea.

Welcome back! I don't even know if the costume will be of any use to anyone now, Square Enix messed up and people who reached rank 5 on BDPB on Nov 1 are still waiting for it!
https://twitter.com/search/realtime...450;&#12288;&#31048;&#31095;&#34915;&src=typd

Top Bottom