• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks!

Oh my that doesnt sound good at all. D:

I had totally forgotten to sign up and do all of that while I was sitting in my corner lol. Will have to be taking a trip down south from tomorrow for a few days so at least being stuck on the train will give me more time to move further on in the game.
But am getting my ass kicked by the enemies in the
vampire castle since they are insanely strong in there if they get the chance to attack me. Am around lv 66 too
Managed to max out some of the classes which is cool. That
grow egg
item really helps. I wonder what happens if you equip 2 of them. Im guessing nothing? But dont have the patience to build up that amount of cash again lol. Right now trying to level faster along with the jobs is taking a main priority over money at the moment.

Zenaku

Some people seem to have received the costume. Anyone here?

I have, got it yesterday. Love it.

1r195.png

StayDead

Thanks!

Oh my that doesnt sound good at all. D:

I had totally forgotten to sign up and do all of that while I was sitting in my corner lol. Will have to be taking a trip down south from tomorrow for a few days so at least being stuck on the train will give me more time to move further on in the game.
But am getting my ass kicked by the enemies in the
vampire castle since they are insanely strong in there if they get the chance to attack me. Am around lv 66 too
Managed to max out some of the classes which is cool. That
grow egg
item really helps. I wonder what happens if you equip 2 of them. Im guessing nothing? But dont have the patience to build up that amount of cash again lol. Right now trying to level faster along with the jobs is taking a main priority over money at the moment.

Where do you buy those super expensive items you're talking about? o_O

Also, 51 hours on the clock for me, just farmed all classes to minimum of level 8 and now back on with the main story...

after my 3DS charges again >_<

hongcha

What's the deal with
the vampire job
? I unlocked the ability to get it at the end of
chapter 4
, but it seems impossible to do without leveling up for hours so I just skipped it and moved on into
chapter 5
. Is it still available later on in the game?

Jijidasu

Just picked up my white DS LL, BDFF and a few other games! Decided this was the push to jump back on board the 3DS train (and with a lot of games to play!).

Need some friend love! I'm at 2036-6362-8583.

Jijidasu

Took the liberty of adding the few people who dropped their friend codes in this thread. If you get a friend request it's probably from me!

StayDead

Took the liberty of adding the few people who dropped their friend codes in this thread. If you get a friend request it's probably from me!

Sadly until after the Wii U is released it doesn't work like that.

You've got to give us your codes so we can add you back :p

Jijidasu

Sadly until after the Wii U is released it doesn't work like that.

You've got to give us your codes so we can add you back :p

Oh, right. I never had much experience with friend codes and so on. I put mine in a couple posts back but again; 2036-6362-8583.

Sinople

What's the deal with
the vampire job
? I unlocked the ability to get it at the end of
chapter 4
, but it seems impossible to do without leveling up for hours so I just skipped it and moved on into
chapter 5
. Is it still available later on in the game?

It is, don't worry.
But it's also doable at low level if you avoid random encounters as much as possible and/or make good use of the skills available to you. The boss is not too difficult.

Jijidasu

Anyone want to give me a brief review, mostly the pros and cons?

I don't think my opinion is much to go by compared to some of the other people in this thread who have completed the game or are much further into it but I can say it does present itself well. The art style is exactly why I jumped in (Yoshida Akihiko directed) and the music is superb. The storyline thus far (note: I'm only an hour in.
I just unlocked White Mage and Monk
) is decent. given my position in the game I can't say much but if you aren't native or damn near close you might struggle to get a good grip on the game's story. The directive of the story is quite clear, but it's all the subtext that gives depth and detail to a story. This comes in the form of D's notebook, so far at least.

D's notebook is a book that Ringabel carries with him has lots of diary entries that are pretty much what making this game interesting thus far for me uses a, well, very descriptive writing style and thorough array of Kanji that even with JLPT1 and years of life here have had me asking my wife (who still couldn't get the correct reading :lol).

Being said, it's a good game so far and it's what I look for in games nowadays.

(I'm actually transcribing D's notebook into a document as I go through it. I figure someone might like it to read. Given the display resolution on the 3DS isn't fantastic some of the Kanji become blurry blocks of grey and black.)

StayDead

Animal Crossing kind of took my time, but I'mma jump back into this tonight. Love this game so damn much. It went within 2 weeks to being my second highest most played 3DS game of all time and I'm nowhere near done.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Real Final Fantasy Canada Dry, from which it takes a lot of game elements and terminology, Bravely Default gives a new epic breath to JRPGs, but on a handheld console. With its proven system and so much smarts jobs, acquisition of special abilities and dynamic combat, it already marks a point in the active side of the genre. The scenario is nicely naive, the art direction a feast for the eyes, and the excellent pace makes it a masterpiece of the genre. And don't forget the ambition of the team that also wanted to make a game from our time with incredibly intelligent use of the 3DS. Mutual aid without intrusion via StreetPass or Internet and codes friends, village reconstruction, super attacks transfer, socialization opportunities are quite amazing for a game like this. Beautiful, catchy, addictive and dynamic, Bravely Default and its perfect pace is also supported by a soundtrack that proves to be a sound orgasm. The best RPG of the year, simply.

+ best graphics on 3DS
+ simple and awesome combat system
+ intelligent use of StreetPass and friend codes
+ accessible interface to one or both hands
+ very intelligent balanced system
+ a simple and naively delicious story

- the game's title
- no localization intended

9/10 (editor's choice)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So basically the game is classic Squaresoft awesome which guarantees no localization?

Cuz Bad=Good and Good=Bad

Beat it.

First of all, fantastic final boss and I fucking loved the way it integrated all of my friends and their parallel worlds. Brilliant.

Oh god that ending was more depressing than I expected. Tiz was given life by the crystal/Airi's sister, so once the task was complete he collapsed dead in the graveyard while everybody else was getting ready for dinner. Ugghhhhhh, I also wasn't expecting Ringabel to choose a different world either.

The whole last 3 or 4 hours seriously played with me. Now I'm too sad to go get sleep. =(

Hmmmmmmmmm. No.

In my opinion, overall it's the most beautiful game on the system. The locations are absolutely stunning in 3D and the art design is wonderful across the board.

It's the first game where I felt compelled to actually keep the 3D on the whole time cause the game just looked so damn great.

In my opinion, overall it's the most beautiful game on the system. The locations are absolutely stunning in 3D and the art design is wonderful across the board.

It's the first game where I felt compelled to actually keep the 3D on the whole time cause the game just looked so damn great.
I'm sure BD is a good looking game, but it's nowhere close to Capgod Productions Inc. (MH3U, RER).

Zenaku

Yes.

I'm sure BD is a good looking game, but it's nowhere close to Capgod Productions Inc. (MH3U, RER).

Honestly, while MH3G and RE:R look great, they just don't have the sheer wow factor of BDFF. Even basic caves look absolutely amazing. You really won't understand until you see it with your own eyes.

Lucis

I can't stand the web game, arg. How does the special costume work? Is it just an armor equipment? great stat?

Sinople

Oh god that ending was more depressing than I expected. Tiz was given life by the crystal/Airi's sister, so once the task was complete he collapsed dead in the graveyard while everybody else was getting ready for dinner.

I'm pretty sure it's actually you, the player, that give life to Tiz, as a resident of the divine world (i.e. the real world). Though certainly invoked by Airy's sister.

hongcha

I finally completed this today, both the regular ending and
the true ending.
All jobs were obtained.

The regular ending took me 51 hours from start to finish, 55 hours total for
the true ending.
. I loved this game.
While the loops from chapter 5-8 were not my favorite thing in the world, I didn't mind them much. I did all the sidequests in Chapter 5, but for 6-8 I just did the crystals and each one went by in about an hour. I must say it was quite exciting when I figured out at the start of Chapter 7 that I could keep praying after Aerie said "stop, stop!" and eventually break the crystal. That whole sequence of events is one of the best things in this game.

Overall this is easily my GOTY, the best JRPG released on any console in a very long time, and Square's best game since the SNES days.

StayDead

Going through the game still, relatively slower pace right now due to having a uni assignment but.

LATE GAME SPOILERS:

I'm still on the second loop and I'm killing all the sub bosses again, I really do feel for some of them, especailly the Valkyrie woman. T_T

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you guys manage to play through this scenario? I'm only level 20 or so (at the town in which only females can live) and it's fucking terrible. It feels like it's being written in a way that completely panders toward otaku or something. I hate every single character, and their lines are just so damn cringe-worthy.

The Party Chat stuff takes the cake though. It's complete nonsense that's absolutely divorced from what's happening on screen.

"Ringabell has been out until morning the last couple of days!" <-- We just arrived in this town like 30 seconds ago, wtf!

"Hey I just went shopping and bought all these cute clothes! Thanks for letting me use your wallet! Tee hee!" <-- again, we just arrived in this damn town 30 seconds ago, you haven't done any such thing!

"Hey, you kind of stink! Have you been taking showers?" <-- what the fuck are you talking about? We're in a medieval fantasy world on a journey and we just got through a poisonous forest.

"I lost 3kg by going on a diet!" "And I gained 3kg by eating all of the food in the refrigerator that you didn't eat!" <-- Excuse me, what?! What refrigerator? What are you idiots rambling about?

It hurts that all of the dialogue feels like it's either some sarcastic net-lingo or taken right out of a stereotypical anime. "Mugugu" <-- are you fucking kidding me?

I like the visual style a lot, and the battle system is pretty neat, but the writing in this game is really killing my will to play. It feels like the story was written as a visual novel completely separately from the events occurring on screen or something.

Aeana

I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've been feeling a bit similar about the party chat. It's really taken me off guard because I didn't expect that at all in this game. I haven't seen a small breast joke yet, but the party chat is definitely skirting the Tales skit line at the moment. That said, it doesn't bother me immensely, and I feel that the story dialog itself is generally better (althrough there have been a couple of scenes...). And other than that, I'm incredibly positive on the game.

By the way, I need more people for abilinking! My friend code is 0791-1280-1356.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
How do you guys manage to play through this scenario? I'm only level 20 or so (at the town in which only females can live) and it's fucking terrible. It feels like it's being written in a way that completely panders toward otaku or something. I hate every single character, and their lines are just so damn cringe-worthy.

The Party Chat stuff takes the cake though. It's complete nonsense that's absolutely divorced from what's happening on screen.

"Ringabell has been out until morning the last couple of days!" <-- We just arrived in this town like 30 seconds ago, wtf!

"Hey I just went shopping and bought all these cute clothes! Thanks for letting me use your wallet! Tee hee!" <-- again, we just arrived in this damn town 30 seconds ago, you haven't done any such thing!

"Hey, you kind of stink! Have you been taking showers?" <-- what the fuck are you talking about? We're in a medieval fantasy world on a journey and we just got through a poisonous forest.

"I lost 3kg by going on a diet!" "And I gained 3kg by eating all of the food in the refrigerator that you didn't eat!" <-- Excuse me, what?! What refrigerator? What are you idiots rambling about?

It hurts that all of the dialogue feels like it's either some sarcastic net-lingo or taken right out of a stereotypical anime. "Mugugu" <-- are you fucking kidding me?

I like the visual style a lot, and the battle system is pretty neat, but the writing in this game is really killing my will to play. It feels like the story was written as a visual novel completely separately from the events occurring on screen or something.

I like the game even more now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I kind of did a 180 on my opinion on the game since my last post. Maybe not quite a 180, but I ended up going back and just played it to its conclusion with the true ending at 48 hours on the clock (all of my guys were level 81).

I think it's a good game that's worth playing, but there's a lot that bothers me about the characters and some of the settings/characters.

There are also some really irritating inconsistencies that stood out to me, but overall it's a pretty interesting story with some fun twists that I really wasn't expecting. The final twist, where it turns out that
you were actually Tiz who got called in to the world by a separate fairy who wasn't Airy
, was particularly interesting. Although that did bother me because
Tiz was about the least unrelatable psychopath protagonist in any RPG I've played

Oh well!

Despite my complaints, I enjoyed the majority of my time with the game and I hope Square makes more games like this. I just hope they go for different tone with the story and characters next time.

Oh, and that subtitle is pretty brilliant!

Top Bottom