• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Not falling for it nameless, sorry.

walter-white-wink.gif

Folks, if you're going to start discussing plot points from other shows, please use spoiler tags as appropriate. Thank you.

Speevy

Banned
How? Seriously, how can Walt be anywhere near as bad as Tony Soprano?

Tony Soprano only uses physical violence and intimidation, whereas Walter tortures the ones he loves with emotional abuse.

I'm just kidding. Tony is a mob boss who murders people who say the wrong thing to him.

Well, ultimately both Tony and Walt are horrible human beings, but it should be pointed out that Tony never poisoned a child in the Sopranos.

Speevy

Banned
The first episode is Walt and Jesse devising a plan to blow up the toilet Hank is sitting on before he returns to the patio.

tony is worse only insomuch he has a greater influence and responsibility. the show has placed so much emphasis on the purity of the meth that its allowed walt to rise to unthinkable power solely because he can produce a product that people can (apparently) distinguish from everything else out there. the purity bullshit is something you have to buy into if you're going to logically allow walt to have as much power as he has.

So I'm assuming those who hate Skyler are still behind Walt 100%, right?

Or do you guys think that even in spite of all the terrible things Walt's done it's still totally cool how he's treating Skyler?

I don't want to be inflammatory, but I am genuinely curious.

Read my post. I think they are both terrible people. Skyler is less entertaining which makes her scenes more annoying than anything. In fact I can't think of any scene that makes Skyler entertaining.

Speevy

Banned
The crystal meth is a metaphor for Walt's corrupted perfectionism.

You guys lend to much credibility and realism to a show that had an aircraft crash on account of a grieving father.

It's a show about a meth-dealing chemistry teacher from one of the guys behind the X-Files. It's got this constant dark energy and uneasy vibe to it. If you take everything at face value, you're really not giving the show much credit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So I'm assuming those who hate Skyler are still behind Walt 100%, right?

Or do you guys think that even in spite of all the terrible things Walt's done it's still totally cool how he's treating Skyler?

I don't want to be inflammatory, but I am genuinely curious.
They both suck as people. Walt moreso. But, Skyler alone is boring to watch (more often than not) and Walt (alone, or with other characters, or murdering, or trolling... or jerking off) is absolutely fucking incredible to watch and makes for much better TV than Skyler.

Thus, Walt > Skyler.

kehs

Banned
You guys lend to much credibility and realism to a show that had an aircraft crash on account of a grieving father.

I still don't know why people were so disappointed by it. I'm guessing it's because they wanted the initial hazmat scene to lead to something else.

Had the plane crash tied more into the storyline it would have been lame. I think they did a great job at using it as an unintended ramification for your actions. I'm guessing people didn't like it for the same reason they didn't life Fly. Same abstract implementation of how there's some shit you do that end causing things you never expected or could imagine.

Traffic controllers are monitored for stress/tiredness/etc for this very reason. Plans are flying all over the place unusually close, I don't consider it unrealistic at all that some dude could fuck up his routes and cause those planes to crash.

Can I hate SkySky for what she did with Ted and the kids? Does that make me misogynistic?

What do you think she did with Ted and the kids?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Can I hate SkySky for what she did with Ted and the kids? Does that make me misogynistic?
Yes. You HAVE to compare how horrible Walt is. SkySky is an angel in comparison. Hell, I'm surprised she didn't ask Walt for some meth while pregnant, smoking that up would have been fine, much better than making the stuff.

Bigfoot

I always love the "if you don't understand what the writers/producers/whoever are trying to say, than something is wrong with you" posts. It is such bullshit!

It is a TV show... a form of entertainment. Everyone gets something different from it and not everything has to have some deeper meaning. Also how do you even know what the show is trying to say, and if it is, maybe it isn't doing it very well?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Any Puerto Ricans on here?
I'm leaving to Luerto Rico for a week on the 11 th so sadly I'm gonna miss the premiere.
Or am I? Do they air it over there?
If they don't, does iTunes or amazon sell the episode on Monday or do I have to wait longer?

MormaPope

Banned
How? Seriously, how can Walt be anywhere near as bad as Tony Soprano?

- Walter sees a child get murdered, whistles a tune later. Along with pickle jarring the body.

- Walter doesn't care about drug dealers using children as soldiers and other roles

- Walter eventually has an empire where he produces thousands or hundreds of thousands of meth pound wise, remember people use meth, he doesn't transfer meth into a meth machine to get dollar bills

- Was willing to blow up any amount of a retirement home to kill Gus

- Inadvertently caused over a hundred people to die due to trust issues with Jesse's girlfriend

- poisons children

Walter has caused more harm than Tony. Tony is a capo or street boss of a organized crime family. Without spoiling too much the personal body count for Walter and Tony is pretty similar.

I think you need to rewatch The Sopranos, cause Tony ain't no Walter White. Both are sociopaths, but Walter has done a lot more naughty shit.

Yes. You HAVE to compare how horrible Walt is. SkySky is an angel in comparison. Hell, I'm surprised she didn't ask Walt for some meth while pregnant, smoking that up would have been fine, much better than making the stuff.

Yeah then she could have poisoned her kid which walter has never....oh.

They both suck as people. Walt moreso. But, Skyler alone is boring to watch (more often than not) and Walt (alone, or with other characters, or murdering, or trolling... or jerking off) is absolutely fucking incredible to watch and makes for much better TV than Skyler.

Thus, Walt > Skyler.

Well hey, if your complaint is that Skyler's scenes aren't as fun to watch....

Then I'm kind of with you.

I'm just sick of hearing people act like Skyler is (I hate this word but) pussywhipping Walt away from being a 'badass'.

Chris R

I wasn't comparing her to Walt. He is pure evil now, just saying I didn't like how she went off with Ted and then put him in a coma and that she sent her children away for so long with nothing more than a word. Poor Flynn and Holly :(

I still don't know why people were so disappointed by it. I'm guessing it's because they wanted the initial hazmat scene to lead to something else.

Had the plane crash tied more into the storyline it would have been lame. I think they did a great job at using it as an unintended ramification for your actions. I'm guessing people didn't like it for the same reason they didn't life Fly. Same abstract implementation of how there's some shit you do that end causing things you never expected or could imagine.

Traffic controllers are monitored for stress/tiredness/etc for this very reason. Plans are flying all over the place unusually close, I don't consider it unrealistic at all that some dude could fuck up his routes and cause those planes to crash.

I think you're right, I was initially harsh on the season 2 finale but looking back it wasn't all that bad.

I'll full fully admit that I was disappointed by the initial hazmat scene leading to the plane crash, but in hindsight I can see what they were going for.

What may have bothered some, wasn't necessarily the plane crash by itself but the fact that Walt ended up going to the same bar as Jane's father, and then the crash happening. Though it never bothered me all that much.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Aaron on Price Is Right was great.
I wasn't comparing her to Walt. He is pure evil now, just saying I didn't like how she went off with Ted and then put him in a coma and that she sent her children away for so long with nothing more than a word. Poor Flynn and Holly :(
Sarcasm

big ander

Is Plemons main cast for 5B? Fraser too? They weren't in the photos for 5A. Good for them

instead of continuing to touch skyskylark arguments, I'll just declare my true allegiance, the team I've been on from the moment the character was introduced

#TeamSkinnyPete

one episode must revolve around pete finally using his piano skills to start a successful band, and his past crimes bring him in to testify against Walt and turn the Heisenberg case into a media circus

tbh, anyone who doesn't like Skinny Pete is a misandrist.

kehs

Banned
I think you're right, I was initially harsh on the season 2 finale but looking back it wasn't all that bad.

I'll full fully admit that I was disappointed by the initial hazmat scene leading to the plane crash, but in hindsight I can see what they were going for.

What may have bothered some, wasn't necessarily the plane crash by itself but the fact that Walt ended up going to the same bar as Jane's father, and then the crash happening. Though it never bothered me all that much.

That bar scene was a little too convinient. Would have liked to see something a little more natural, maybe like him at the actual store buying diapers and her dad buying booze.

But, now that I think about it, walts too assholeish to actually go buy the diapers.

stktt

Banned

That was my problem with it on my first viewing. The whole situation felt too contrived. It was much better on a rewatch, where I could see it as more of an abstractionism for the effect Walt's action have on others.

- Walter sees a child get murdered, whistles a tune later. Along with pickle jarring the body.

- Walter doesn't care about drug dealers using children as soldiers and other roles

- Walter eventually has an empire where he produces thousands or hundreds of thousands of meth pound wise, remember people use meth, he doesn't transfer meth into a meth machine to get dollar bills

- Was willing to blow up any amount of a retirement home to kill Gus

- Inadvertently caused over a hundred people to die due to trust issues with Jesse's girlfriend

- poisons children

Walter has caused more harm than Tony. Tony is a capo or street boss of a organized crime family. Without spoiling too much the personal body count for Walter and Tony is pretty similar.

I think you need to rewatch The Sopranos, cause Tony ain't no Walter White. Both are sociopaths, but Walter has done a lot more naughty shit.

Post of the CENTURY. That point...DAMN, DUDE

that's a damn good point. dude takes pills.. either the cancer is back or he's addicted to painkillers or something. that'd be a pretty gnarly angle to take.

I've always thought the differences between Tony and Walter were this:

In the Sorpronos, the beauty of the show was that you were introduced to this mafia crime boss who you eventually subconsciously root for because of how the show is presented. At least until some time during the final season when you sort of stand up and go "WTF why was I rooting for Tony this whole time?" Like, you were programmed over the years to root for a piece of shit without realizing you were doing it.

Walter, however, is the opposite. He's the good normal guy you're feel empathy from the get-go. You even ignore some of his transgressions early on because dude was dealt such a bad hand so why the fuck not? But over time you're supposed to start disliking him to the point where you root completely against him and await his downfall with glee.

kehs

Banned
He also takes some pills in the bathroom of the S5 cold open. Even coughs a little, I think. Probably comes back.

Probably just methadone he's using to detox from getting hooked on his own crystal, because, you know he had to kill skysky with ricin when she wanted to leave him for being a junkie, which lead him to try and kill hank with the m4 because hank outted him as a lame lottery king pin.

Who else thinks that Walter Jr. getting addicted to meth by the end of the season would be the most trite, manipulative twist in TV history? I worried they're headed this way though with Walt Jr. now being 'emo mcgee'.

Who else thinks that Walter Jr. getting addicted to meth by the end of the season would be the most trite, manipulative twist in TV history?

Yeah its hard to see how that would happen, I'm not opposed to it provided they found a good execution for it, but at this point I have an easier time seeing Walt get addicted to the stuff than his son.

Edit: Wait whats this about Walt Jr. being emo, I haven't noticed anything like that?

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah its hard to see how that would happen, I'm not opposed to it provided they found a good execution for it, but at this point I have an easier time seeing Walt get addicted to the stuff than his son.

Edit: Wait whats this about Walt Jr. being emo, I haven't noticed anything like that?
The series will close out with Walt in that crack den from season 2, shooting up some blue in his dick.

Hank called him that in one of the all time great lines ever.

Bigfoot

I've always thought the differences between Tony and Walter were this:

In the Sorpronos, the beauty of the show was that you were introduced to this mafia crime boss who you eventually subconsciously root for because of how the show is presented. At least until some time during the final season when you sort of stand up and go "WTF why was I rooting for Tony this whole time?" Like, you were programmed over the years to root for a piece of shit without realizing you were doing it.

Walter, however, is the opposite. He's the good normal guy you're feel empathy from the get-go. You even ignore some of his transgressions early on because dude was dealt such a bad hand so why the fuck not? But over time you're supposed to start disliking him to the point where you root completely against him and await his downfall with glee.
Except I rooted for Tony until the end and I will likely root for Walt to the bitter end. Also Tony is worse than Walt, but both are angels compared to the witch that is Skylark.

Ridesh

Banned
If this is less than the absolute best season in TV history, I'll be disappointed.

And I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom