• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

If MS announces a few IPs, and then rounds it with this TV and entertainment focus... will you guys be happy? Wont mindshare favour MS if they are broadcasting to the general public (SpikeTV) and leading the way for new ways of watching TV?

This TV thing could be pretty fabulous

I would be happy, but I don't know if that would convince me to buy a Nextbox over a PS4. Those new IP's would have to be super-interesting, because infamous: SS, Knack, and The Witness are all games I really want to play.

prwxv3

It will be amazing to see the crow eating if always online is not true. I still don't think MS are stupid enough to actually do it.

KyleN

Banned
idDh0BQrtHobh.gif

Pennywise

I think they just waited for the Sony hype to die down a bit, since it was ages away from E3 and release. MS want to keep the hype up over the coming weeks and months.

Well it also provides a risk.
If they hype up the console as fuck over the event, they need to deliever so badly.
Sony delievered with their show and kept up the hype with small bits of nextgen games like MGS V and so on.
So clearly people knew what to expect from Sony and they get the opportunity to reveal megatons over the E3.

MS on the other hand got a rather short window to deliever, just imagine the always online rumor is true ?
That would produce so much pressure for the games that will be revealed at E3.

ari

Banned
Ari You can't possibly believe it was in any way a negative for Sony to show early. They have dominated all console talk since then with every press outlet online or print gathering rumors and interviews on it. Everyone knows the PS4 is coming out and it has a lot of positive buzz enough that it will take something impressive to shift the conversation back to Microsoft.
I really truly honestly think it doesn't matter.

I also didn't say it was a negative. All i said was that sony showed their hand too soon where ms could've learn from them

Raide

There will be hype but they'll be sharing that same hype with Sony's and Nintendo's news. If you mean the fervor they stirred up with not announcing it these past few months then I guess so.

They certainly have a lot to do. Lack of solid news and loads of random rumors is going to be a hard one to sort out. Should be an interesting event at least!

abadguy

Banned
Everyone has a bias just like you have a bias for Microsoft. Doesn't make it bad. It's human nature. However, making gifs and stuff of Ballmer and co. didn't have the same effect as the Kaz and Yoshida gifs.

This worship of boring corporate suits is always hilarious whomever does it. I remember when gamers didn't give a flying fuck who these people were, now they're looked at like rock stars or some shit.

eso76

Well, we've known this for quite some time now.

With this rumor confirmed, we should probably expect other leaks to be accurate too.
Tbh i'm not expecting to be surprised, i think we know everything about Durango

Verendus

Banned
I think MS has been quite smart with the timing of this reveal since Sony showed up early. From the reveal, through E3, there will be constant talk, attention and it gives them a chance to get a lot of spotlight and attention.

This is gonna be polished as fuck. Sony showed their hand too soon.
Not at all. Early buzz and hype was necessary considering the consoles will launching close to each other. And it was time for Sony to take the initiative seeing how disastrous everything was for the PS3 on the outset. Plus, there is a lot more to show on E3 and it's nice to get some things out of the way early.

If MS announces a few IPs, and then rounds it with this TV and entertainment focus... will you guys be happy? Wont mindshare favour MS if they are broadcasting to the general public (SpikeTV) and leading the way for new ways of watching TV?

This TV thing could be pretty fabulous
Because Spike's ratings in the Late Morning-Early Afternoon on a Tuesday are fabulous.

Hell, when the 360 revealed on MTV at least it was on during primetime.

prwxv3

Well it also provides a risk.
If they hype up the console as fuck over the event, they need to deliever so badly.
Sony delievered with their show and kept up the hype with small bits of nextgen games like MGS V and so on.
So clearly people knew what to expect from Sony and they get the opportunity to reveal megatons over the E3.

MS on the other hand got a rather short window to deliever, just imagine the always online rumor is true ?
That would produce so much pressure for the games that will be revealed at E3.

That has not been confirmed to be a next gen title just 360/PS3. There have been a bunch of other next gen/cross gen titles that have been announced for the PS4 directly though.

Wynnebeck

Banned
The fact that MS is putting so much stock into unveiling it to America gives me the idea that MS is really banking on North America (also UK) to pull them through this next generation as the rumored things Durango is planning on doing would have no effect in Japan and make people in Europe upset outside of the UK.

LCfiner

It will be amazing to see the crow eating if always online is not true. I still don't think MS are stupid enough to actually do it.

I would looooove to eat crow if they produce something that isn't as anti-consumer as the rumors indicated. i think most sane people would like to be wrong about this and for the actual box to treat games like the current gen machines and PS4.

Either way this should be fun.

Always online or no?

Kinect calibration required or no?

Will they answer any of the rumors or wait until E3 or later?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MTV has a wider reach

dat apple cutting into MS money so they gotta downgrade from 2005

I think the whole MTV thing was very much of its time.

How much audience reach would you get out of something like that you cannot get now with an a globally livestreamed event?

You can reach huge audiences online if you've an established brand and do enough advance hyping and promo (see: Apple keynotes for example, and - yes - the PS4 reveal). It's a different world now, I think. 'Authentic' is key these days, hence also the choice of location I guess. Cooling it up with a MTV event ala 360's...I don't know if it would be very 2013.

Man

I think MS has been quite smart with the timing of this reveal since Sony showed up early. From the reveal, through E3, there will be constant talk, attention and it gives them a chance to get a lot of spotlight and attention.
Sony will surely have the most new stuff to show at E3 including the console itself.

Nemesis_

The fact that MS is putting so much stock into unveiling it to America gives me the idea that MS is really banking on North America (also UK) to pull them through this next generation as the rumored things Durango is planning on doing would have no effect in Japan and make people in Europe upset outside of the UK.

You find it odd they are unveiling it in the country that it is developed in? :I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom