• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

grumbleatleastyoubloodyhadtimeoffgrumble.

sigh, living without a fridge or freezer (or oven or grill) is tough.

I don't have a freezer, I have a "food compartment," which is a slightly colder bit of fridge which isn't even separate from the rest of my fridge and means that the stuff in it doesn't quite stay frozen, and the stuff around it slightly freezes.

I also don't have an oven, but I got a halogen oven and the thing's a godsend. They're really cheap, so if you're going to be without an oven for a while it might be a good interim solution. They're cheaper to run than proper ovens too, apparently.

But yeah, I feel your pain. I've no idea what I'd do without even a fridge, though. HOW DO YOU MILK?

NinjaBoiX

I've had the whole weekend off work because Mint Lounge was shut, so I've played more games than I have in over half a year.

By which I mean about an hour of CoD:AW and 5 minutes of Driveclub.

It was pretty fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
After playing through DKC Tropical Freeze I decided to play through DKC Returns again because I never did unlock the final level so I've actually been playing quite a bit as I've done about two worlds a day over the last three days. I'm lucky that Wii games don't look too bad on my TV despite being HD. The one advantage of sticking with a smaller size.

Or oven or grill? Oof. I had a week without fridge/freezer a couple ago, very frustrating and more expensive on food. I feel your pain.

aye, apparently 'unfurnished' means 'you can't have an oven but you can have this broken fridge freezer that smells and takes up a lot of space'. been living like that since the 19th of december. christmas was a tricky challenge but we managed pretty well/gorged on biscuits!

I don't have a freezer, I have a "food compartment," which is a slightly colder bit of fridge which isn't even separate from the rest of my fridge and means that the stuff in it doesn't quite stay frozen, and the stuff around it slightly freezes.

I also don't have an oven, but I got a halogen oven and the thing's a godsend. They're really cheap, so if you're going to be without an oven for a while it might be a good interim solution. They're cheaper to run than proper ovens too, apparently.

But yeah, I feel your pain. I've no idea what I'd do without even a fridge, though. HOW DO YOU MILK?

ugh milk is what kills me. i LOVE cereal but i cannot have any, sighh. thankfully there is no heating in one room so we stick fruit and drinks in there to stay pretty damn cold. milk still lasts about 24 hours tops mind.
yeah we have a halogen thankfully, small but very useful.
our oven was installed yesterday, alongside a washing machine that wasn't installed because the last tenant took the sink's waste spigot with them for some unknown reason, haha. finally ordering a fridge-freezer tonight as we can't be bothered to wait for the landlord to move his junk and argos remove old appliances for a small charge.
sofa on tuesday, internet the following week... modern living is nearly with us!

To be fair that's true, I sat watching twitch all night. Phone rang like twice! Speaking of did Candice get her net fixed? ;D

Don't work for consumer yet, go send a complaint to Gavin Patterson if you want the HLE team to look at it. It'll get sorted quicker then.

I did, engineer came out Friday. Managed to get the Internet working and also gave us a free router. He was a cool dude.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Fuck all you cunts who have been off.

Off this week too. Don't worry. I'm sure this thread will bear witness to my misery when I go back. The absurdity of work will claim us all.

Morning all. Happy New Year.

You too!

aye, apparently 'unfurnished' means 'you can't have an oven but you can have this broken fridge freezer that smells and takes up a lot of space'. been living like that since the 19th of december. christmas was a tricky challenge but we managed pretty well/gorged on biscuits!

ugh milk is what kills me. i LOVE cereal but i cannot have any, sighh. thankfully there is no heating in one room so we stick fruit and drinks in there to stay pretty damn cold. milk still lasts about 24 hours tops mind.
yeah we have a halogen thankfully, small but very useful.
our oven was installed yesterday, alongside a washing machine that wasn't installed because the last tenant took the sink's waste spigot with them for some unknown reason, haha. finally ordering a fridge-freezer tonight as we can't be bothered to wait for the landlord to move his junk and argos remove old appliances for a small charge.
sofa on tuesday, internet the following week... modern living is nearly with us!

Welcom 2 der Norf we jus got brickz n that so ur lucky to hav indoors brickz grunt grunt grunt like

The_Poet

Banned
Morning!

Christmas was great, had 20 people in my parents house for dinner, put 3 tables together.

New years was great, went out for cocktails with some good friends then stayed up all night dancing to 60's-70's rock.

Depressed to be back at work, but going to China in 6 weeks!

SmokyDave

Happy new years dudes and dudettes!

Man, going back to work was a struggle. Two straight weeks of dossing around with the kiddo and the missus was bliss, but now it's back to the usual. Sigh.

I finished Persona 4 over the xmas break. Y'know what? It's a damned good game. I understand why people are so crazy over it now. I finished the story (blind) in about 45 hours and then immediately started a new game plus so I can do it right this time.

Welcom 2 der Norf we jus got brickz n that so ur lucky to hav indoors brickz grunt grunt grunt like

as a man that originated in the south west, i am used to the far more comfortable haybale.

happy new year sploatee, it is good to hear from you again. were your holidays nice? did the 'gaf break so any good?

SKINNER!

Banned
Man, going back to work was a struggle.

Tell me about it. Sucks being back in the office after I was pretty productive during the holidays. Managed to convert my old PC into an emulation machine. Wrote 2 articles for a small video game website (one got posted). Picked up some new clothes and a jacket. Met up with old friends and caught up with the parents. More importantly, I spent a good time re-evaluating my career and what to do in 2015. Promised myself I'd find something new this year. Gotta take up new challenges and see where life takes me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Morning!

Christmas was great, had 20 people in my parents house for dinner, put 3 tables together.

New years was great, went out for cocktails with some good friends then stayed up all night dancing to 60's-70's rock.

Depressed to be back at work, but going to China in 6 weeks!

Oh wow. Long break?

as a man that originated in the south west, i am used to the far more comfortable haybale.

happy new year sploatee, it is good to hear from you again. were your holidays nice? did the 'gaf break so any good?

Yes thanks. It did, actually. I just needed to decompress a bit and it's not easy when your smartphone is glued to your hands all of the time!

I don't have anything really exciting to relate other than that I'm going to work towards giving up meat, we have two new dwarf hamsters (Big Dave and Astrolord Boots) and I'm still in awe of what From have achieved with Dark Souls.

How was your break?

Me and the bloke are gonna get a lizard. We're looking at crested geckos. The bloke keeps coming up with stupid names though. Anyone got any suggestions?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Me and the bloke are gonna get a lizard. We're looking at crested geckos. The bloke keeps coming up with stupid names though. Anyone got any suggestions?

Norman Jefferson, III or Norman Jefferson, Jr. He was a lizard educated at Yale and went on to be a key part of the illuminati until George Bush, Sr. found out and demoted him to standard Gecko status.

I know that's stupid. But have you heard the names for our animals??!?!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm going to recommend (well, really, it's just what I'm into at the moment, but hey. We are all always in flux and things like that):

The album Nothing Important by Richard Dawson

The documentary Ways of Seeing by John Berger (which you probably already know)

Cezanne's series of paintings of mont saint-victoire

Dark Souls

Quorn chicken substitute chunks provided they are not overcooked.

You're all very welcome.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
And that's it. Just finished Dark Souls. All solo apart from the centipede demon because I like Solaire. That was probably the best game ever made. It did get easier near the end I think. Ornstein and Smough were the toughest, but that whole part of the game was just incredible.

Just amazing. It's like the game Ocarina of Time should've been. 😄

The_Poet

Banned
And that's it. Just finished Dark Souls. All solo apart from the centipede demon because I like Solaire. That was probably the best game ever made. It did get easier near the end I think. Ornstein and Smough were the toughest, but that whole part of the game was just incredible.

Just amazing. It's like the game Ocarina of Time should've been. 😄

It is known that some of the later areas were rushed for release (Lost Izalith especially).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It is known that some of the later areas were rushed for release (Lost Izalith especially).

I actually really liked Lost Izalith and I even thought the Bed of Chaos was quite interesting. The sunlight maggot sequence was fantastic, I thought.

The area I really despised was the Duke's Archives / Crystal Cave. There were moments that were interesting but it was the only part of the game that felt like a slog to me (apart from when I got lost in Blighttown for two hours).

The_Poet

Banned
I actually really liked Lost Izalith and I even thought the Bed of Chaos was quite interesting. The sunlight maggot sequence was fantastic, I thought.

The area I really despised was the Duke's Archives / Crystal Cave. There were moments that were interesting but it was the only part of the game that felt like a slog to me (apart from when I got lost in Blighttown for two hours).

Dukes archives was one of my favourite areas. had some of the best 'read between the lines' story elements, like the maidens, the record player, the way the prison was made, big hat logan (if you followed his story) and crystal cave was beautiful.

I'de recommend doing a playthrough with a full guide at some point, following some of the characters story arcs can be a little obtuse.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
(Sorry for the spam guys, I'm doing other things on the computer and I've got GAF open in a window.)

quorn gives me tummybads :(

No! Is it something to do with fungi?

Dukes archives was one of my favourite areas. had some of the best 'read between the lines' story elements, like the maidens, the record player, the way the prison was made, big hat logan (if you followed his story) and crystal cave was beautiful.

I'de recommend doing a playthrough with a full guide at some point, following some of the characters story arcs can be a little obtuse.

I sort of have done (inadvertently) - I got so stuck on Gwyn (odd now looking back on it) I decided to start watching some lore videos and then Mr Meat mentioned that there were some optional areas I wasn't even aware of. I also didn't want the game to end so I was hoping to find and do as much as possible before I put the world to rest.

Yes, that bit with the maidens was eerie and fantastic. Watching the man-serpents run away when the bell sounded threw me for a loop. The prison was good. I don't know what it was. I think it might be because I went there straight after Sen's and Anor Londo which were just two of the best levels I've ever played. I really did hate the Crystal Cave though. I just didn't click with the creature designs and the actual cave itself was just frustrating in a not-fun way (maybe because I ran out of prism stones). In Lost Izalith you had the weird suction cup / mouth things, those gigantic half-dragons (oops - I mean tyrannosaur type things) (walking in and seeing rows of them was a "whoa" moment (or in my Dark Souls headspeak "oh dear. I'm going to die very soon") and the way the trees had begun to reclaim the old city. Also the flamey-insecty Bed of Chaos looked fantastic.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
up 7am for a lecture at 2pm, been to the gym, paid my rent, bought some clothes and now in the library waiting for study buddy

Feeling good mannn

The_Poet

Banned
up 7am for a lecture at 2pm, been to the gym, paid my rent, bought some clothes and now in the library waiting for study buddy

Feeling good mannn

The productive uni days are the best. Mostly because they happen so rarely.
and the day is over by about 3

No! Is it something to do with fungi?

maybe! that or the amount of fibre.

i am paranoid waiting for a sofa to arrive as i already missed a bloody yodel delivery on saturday and our doorbell doesn't seem to work. we also live near a road so every ten seconds has me poking my head out the window just in case. thirty minutes ago they phoned saying they'd be here in half an hour so now i am on edge. some guys turned up in a plain white van, wearing high-vis, and just seemed to look at our bins (?) so i am guessing/hoping it isn't them. argos would have a big branded lorry, right? RIGHT!?
this is as exciting as my life gets, haha.

it's all okay! currently sat on my new sofa, hoorah! those other guys must've just been regular, normal bin-frollickers. phew!

double posting so you can all enjoy my mini freakout over a sofa delivery.

Decided to stop drinking, for good.

Going 6 days strong and it's got me thinking of more ways to spend my time.

To clarify, I'm 22 and i'm not an alcoholic. Normally my weekends would resort in just drinking friday and saturday night with friends/family and pretty much not doing anything with myself. It's been that way pretty much for a few years.

Plus living above a pub it motivates me not to end up like some of the regular freaks that stumble in.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
it's all okay! currently sat on my new sofa, hoorah! those other guys must've just been regular, normal bin-frollickers. phew!

double posting so you can all enjoy my mini freakout over a sofa delivery.

Phew!

There's a joke somewhere about fibre and pooping yourself.

To clarify, I'm 22 and i'm not an alcoholic. Normally my weekends would resort in just drinking friday and saturday night with friends/family and pretty much not doing anything with myself. It's been that way pretty much for a few years.

Plus living above a pub it motivates me not to end up like some of the regular freaks that stumble in.

I have up for a long long time and even though I still have a drink sometimes I've just fallen out of the habit. Do whatever feels right.

-

Are we doing a britgaf podcast or not then?

We can use Skype or some such and then just tape it.

IMO, if you have to state "I'm giving up drinking for good" you might be an alcoholic. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but it's not like you need to give up things that don't cause you any trouble.

Living above a pub though? Ouch! Temptation all over the place. Good luck.

This week I'm giving up smoking, it's really hard.

Top Bottom