• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

neos

Hello britgaf, don't know if i'm in the right place, but i'm travelling to London on monday and i'm looking for a place to sleep without spending all my Euros:D

I've seen shared dormitory are the cheapest solution, but i'd like to have my own room with my own toilet.
Any advice?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
A Brit GAF podcast sounds like a logistical nightmare! Herding ornery cats.

Speculatively, what would such a podcast be about?

Games and that!

I thought I was on ignore for a bit then ;)

/drys eyes

Steve! Congratulations on the marriage!!! How was the big day??

-

So is this Halo game meant to be good then? Was it good back when it came out? I'm giving up. I just can't wander through another square blue room into a square blue corridor and into a square blue room. It was fun for the first few levels but I'm just not having fun anymore. These middle levels seem so padded. I'm baffled. Doom was better. Is the terrible dialogue meant to be part of the charm? And why is a Cortana basically naked? . Is this plot meant to be good too?? Do they get better? grumble grumble grumble it's no Dark Souls / Ikaruga.

Games and that!

Steve! Congratulations on the marriage!!! How was the big day??

-

So is this Halo game meant to be good then? Was it good back when it came out? I'm giving up. I just can't wander through another square blue room into a square blue corridor and into a square blue room. It was fun for the first few levels but I'm just not having fun anymore. These middle levels seem so padded. I'm baffled. Doom was better. Is the terrible dialogue meant to be part of the charm? And why is a Cortana basically naked? . Is this plot meant to be good too?? Do they get better? grumble grumble grumble it's no Dark Souls / Ikaruga.

Oh no :( Halo is great, you've just been turned into a massive weeb by too much Japan.

Are you starting with Halo 1? Maybe give 3 a shot and see how that one feels to you - I think 1 suffers from too many early-FPS issues. Very repetitive design (which works if you consider the Halos are supposed to be unmanned Dyson-Sphere slivers - function over form) really lets the game down. IMO H1 is massively overlong and a bit dull, combined with having some huge difficulty spikes. H2 is much better, 3 is nearly perfect. 3 has some of the greatest set pieces in gaming, they're burned into my memory forever.

I will say this for Halo too, it's utterly unlike any other shooter to play. The jumps, the reliance on grenades and melee. Headshotting with the CE pistol (and later the Battle Rifle / DMR).

Looking at these games between 1 and 3 shows the massive leaps that gaming made between those gens as well.

SteveWD40

Steve! Congratulations on the marriage!!! How was the big day??.

Thanks!

It was pretty awesome actually, I was bricking it in the morning (not sure why) and nearly lost it when the wife walked in resulting in some great "groom reaction shots".

At one point, after the ceremony, they opened the double doors into the garden (see below) and the sun flooded in just as the strings played "Here comes the sun", which we couldn't have planned if we tried.

This was the place:
71327769.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sploat shut your brain off & Halo is a lot more fun. Though most of my fond memories consist of playing through the first two games in co-op mode and the multiplayer, so YMMV doing it solo all the way.
The lighting makes that building look computer generated
This is exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful venue regardless.

Volotaire

Hello britgaf, don't know if i'm in the right place, but i'm travelling to London on monday and i'm looking for a place to sleep without spending all my Euros:D

I've seen shared dormitory are the cheapest solution, but i'd like to have my own room with my own toilet.
Any advice?

Best place would be to ask Off topic honestly and make a thread.

The_Poet

Banned

Any advice?

Premier inn's, Holiday Inn's are pretty cheap no-thrills hotels

Search for local B&B's (bed and breakfast) on tripadvisor

SmokyDave

I'm good thanks, being married is pretty cool (I get say "wife", how very grown up), house hunting right now.
We've been married for, um, 3 months now and the novelty of saying 'just gonna text the wife' hasn't worn off. Glad you're enjoying it :)

How's the off-spring? are they as anti-gaming time as I keep hearing?
She's fucking amazing. I never thought I'd be moved to tears by another human being eating a breadstick. Shit's just amazing. I could sit and watch her little concentration face for hours.

She's certainly putting the squeeze on gaming time now she's a bit older, but I hear it'll get better again as time goes by. Not that I'm too bothered, being a dad is the most fun I've ever had.

SteveWD40

She's fucking amazing. I never thought I'd be moved to tears by another human being eating a breadstick. Shit's just amazing. I could sit and watch her little concentration face for hours..

Adorable, I am very fond of my nephews / niece so I can imagine how soft I will be when they are mine.

I would be very interested in the britgaf podcast. It would take a bit of work but would obviously be more feasible than an rpg. Plus I can provide my razor sharp wit and deliver it in a multitude of amusing voices.

Games.
Other entertainment.
News/current affairs
Plus we can answer questions posed by listeners/non participants.

A bevvy of things to talk about.

/night owl post

Son Of D

I don't think I'll talk on the podcast. Not only is my voice too quiet I'd be too busy "umming" and "aahing" when speaking. That plus I'm more of a part time BritGaffer now.

On another note why the fuck am I still awake at 3:15AM?

IMO, if you have to state "I'm giving up drinking for good" you might be an alcoholic. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but it's not like you need to give up things that don't cause you any trouble.

Living above a pub though? Ouch! Temptation all over the place. Good luck.

This week I'm giving up smoking, it's really hard.

Thanks but i'm nowhere near an alcoholic. It's just became a habit for me and my friends to just go for a drink friday and saturday nights. Never drink through the week. But it got to the point where i'd wake up Sunday afternoon or something and wonder where the weekends gone cause i've not done anything with myself. Then before i know it im back in this chair in work.

But yeah living above a pub, i've seen enough to put anyone off for life. Nevermind some of the awful fights i've seen too.

The_Poet

Banned
The thing that would really make a BritGAF podcast take off is a snappy name.

BritPOD?

BritGAF: The Podracingcast Experience

The 'I Swear we will try not to talk about Dark Souls' Show

The thing that would really make a BritGAF podcast take off is a snappy name.

The "the members of video game forum 'NeoGAF' who also happen to be from Great Britain and/or plan to visit or are visiting said group of countries in the near future talk about things possibly relating to their lives and other related lines of conversation" podcast

SKINNER!

Banned
BritGAF Podcast you say? I'm in.

Gonna be going to watch Birdman and that Stephen Hawking film at some point this week.

Oh and not been involved on gaf or whatsapp as much because I had to send my phone in for repairs :/ sucks but if it's still within warranty then I better take advantage of that.

oh and who kept posting Royal Blood stuff? Ninj? It's good stuff. Cheers!

If Brit GAF did do a podcast it would need to have sploatee or Cyanide Strike on it because conversation dries up without them around.

Where is Cy anyway, I hope he's ok.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's too late for a BritGAF podcast. The perfect time would have been when Tash was his old innocent self asking all the important questions like where in the USA do Canadians comes from.

The_Poet

Banned
BritGAF Podcast you say? I'm in.

Gonna be going to watch Birdman and that Stephen Hawking film at some point this week.

Oh and not been involved on gaf or whatsapp as much because I had to send my phone in for repairs :/ sucks but if it's still within warranty then I better take advantage of that.

I keep forgetting about Birdman looks great and everytime I'm reminded of it, I really want to see it.

StayDead

I didn't think Juniors could get banned and come back? I've been being super careful not to incur mod wrath!

I imagine that's someones alt account or someone who is very, very lucky since every junior I've known to be banned was permad. I don't really think that's right, but it's not my forum so whatever.

NinjaBoiX

We should def do this podcast thing, right after we release the BritGAF RPG and form the BritGAF band.
Yeah man, they're pretty good! Loose Change and Ten Tonne Skeleton are the best tracks on the record for me.
It's brill. Keaton is the perfect actor for that role. I'd go and see it soon though, I think it's been in cinemas for quite a while now...
Keaton almost managed to save that train wreck of a Robocop reboot, along with this on the soundtrack:

Focus - Hocus Pocus

But good lord, what a pile of shite. Way to entirely miss the point of the original!

Came out in the UK this week IIRC. It's been out in the states for a while though, all my podcasts were talking about it last year.

Oh really? I was just going by Wikipedia, and I remember seeing a RedLetterMedia review of it last year so I though it had been out since October.

Now that you mention it, I saw it on Friday and it was sold out. I thought it was just because it was a small cinema. Doh!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Come on, let's do a podcast thing then! Let's do a rotating chair thingy with like 3/4 people at a time. All we need to do is have a rough list of broad things to talk of, a stopwatch, Skype and a tape recorder.

Oh no :( Halo is great, you've just been turned into a massive weeb by too much Japan.

Are you starting with Halo 1? Maybe give 3 a shot and see how that one feels to you - I think 1 suffers from too many early-FPS issues. Very repetitive design (which works if you consider the Halos are supposed to be unmanned Dyson-Sphere slivers - function over form) really lets the game down. IMO H1 is massively overlong and a bit dull, combined with having some huge difficulty spikes. H2 is much better, 3 is nearly perfect. 3 has some of the greatest set pieces in gaming, they're burned into my memory forever.

I will say this for Halo too, it's utterly unlike any other shooter to play. The jumps, the reliance on grenades and melee. Headshotting with the CE pistol (and later the Battle Rifle / DMR).

Looking at these games between 1 and 3 shows the massive leaps that gaming made between those gens as well.

Sploat shut your brain off & Halo is a lot more fun. Though most of my fond memories consist of playing through the first two games in co-op mode and the multiplayer, so YMMV doing it solo all the way.This is exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful venue regardless.

I think I was getting irritated because I was feeling ill, bizarrely. I went back last night after having a nap and a bowl of soup and it was better. I think I'm being a bit unfair on it for not taking it on its own merits. If you did a chart of attention span, I thought it was pretty high up until I went into the Flood chamber, then low and now it's going up again now there are the sentinels and 343 Guilty Spark being a lot more interesting than "LET'S GET THEM MARINES!". I also thought there was a tonal problem - the Big Epic Sci-Fi stuff seemed a bit conflicting with the silly grunts, but seeing them mutated and horrific has justified that design choice for me. I think I'll see it through, thanks for the boot.

Thanks!

It was pretty awesome actually, I was bricking it in the morning (not sure why) and nearly lost it when the wife walked in resulting in some great "groom reaction shots".

At one point, after the ceremony, they opened the double doors into the garden (see below) and the sun flooded in just as the strings played "Here comes the sun", which we couldn't have planned if we tried.

This was the place:

That's amazing. So gorgeous and very serendipitous! Congratulations again from me and E. x

We've been married for, um, 3 months now and the novelty of saying 'just gonna text the wife' hasn't worn off. Glad you're enjoying it :)

She's fucking amazing. I never thought I'd be moved to tears by another human being eating a breadstick. .

:)

I was signed in on the wrong one...

sploatee is back HIII!

Hello! Are you still playing Destiny? The box sits on the shelf looking at me like "why u no play me no more!?" but the manner of the raising of the level cap has soured me a bit. I feel like although it was really great while it lasted, it's going to be a never-ending treadmill and that the game won't really respect the time I give up to play it.

Skele7on

Banned
Hello! Are you still playing Destiny? The box sits on the shelf looking at me like "why u no play me no more!?" but the manner of the raising of the level cap has soured me a bit. I feel like although it was really great while it lasted, it's going to be a never-ending treadmill and that the game won't really respect the time I give up to play it.

Yeah I just love the grind too much...

My playtime is now insane levels... I am level 32 but missing the new raid helm and still hawkmoon and bjallerhorn escape me.... The new crota raid we can do in 25 mins now.
Which is about the same time as templar section in VOG....

To be honest the grind isn't so harsh now, level 32 is fairly easy as raid gear drops are really common as there are no primary weapons on normal mode.

looking forward to Hard Mode Crota and the new content on March 10th.

Hope you had a great festive season!

The_Poet

Banned
Anyone ever play Super Cup Football as a kid?

51roki8khzL.jpg

Its the best table sports game ever, so much fun was had playing with my older brother.

That is until I beat him 3 times in a row once and he threw it down the stairs.

Anyone ever play Super Cup Football as a kid?

51roki8khzL.jpg

Its the best table sports game ever, so much fun was had playing with my older brother.

That is until I beat him 3 times in a row once and he threw it down the stairs.

No but my older cousin had Subuteo and I never could figure out how to play it so I would get trounced every time. He was a right dick, that guy.

Yeah I just love the grind too much...

My playtime is now insane levels... I am level 32 but missing the new raid helm and still hawkmoon and bjallerhorn escape me.... The new crota raid we can do in 25 mins now.
Which is about the same time as templar section in VOG....

To be honest the grind isn't so harsh now, level 32 is fairly easy as raid gear drops are really common as there are no primary weapons on normal mode.

looking forward to Hard Mode Crota and the new content on March 10th.

Hope you had a great festive season!

Probably rehashing something I said before but I think me and sploatee are in the same camp when it comes to the grind. I think of playing it again and the word "relapse" flashes before my eyes.

The thing is I'm not averse to a bit of grind. Things like the camo challenges for weapons in CoD had me hooked in completely, even entirely pointless challenges like the ones for dog tags in BF4 give me something to work towards. But I think it's the random nature of it I can't get behind with Destiny. Any other grind I can deal with but when you're doing it for the chance of a reward, I lose patience. Another game that did this for me was Ni No Kuni. The chance of even the option of capturing a monster appearing was like 2% or something ridiculous. And to really get into the post end game stuff you needed to craft weapons and armour for yourself, to do that you had to find rare monsters which might appear and might drop the materials you need. The idea of wasting my time infuriates me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Glad you are finding some value in Halo, sploatee. I always found the flood origin and the way they handle those levels very interesting, even if I also thought they were sometimes very derivative in their initial design (very similar to Half-Life headcrabs and other Sci-Fi creatures).
Genius.

Top Bottom