• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, total BS, I hope people just ignore it. They have 0 leg to stand on with this in a legal sense, and I don't see the reasoning behind even just asking nicely.

Well obviously we're not going to start suing people.

This kind of thing is pretty common when, for example, dealing with sending stuff out to the press early. And rather than making backers wait to play until reviews etc. are out, we figured we'd just apply the same rules to press as to backers, since they're getting the same thing. We aren't making press "sign an NDA" either, it's just a courtesy we're asking folks to extend to us. I'm sorry it rubs some people the wrong way; there's not really any way to please everyone, but we're trying to strike a decent balance between press, backers, and the general public who won't get to play just yet.

Purkake4

Banned
Well obviously we're not going to start suing people.

This kind of thing is pretty common when, for example, dealing with sending stuff out to the press early. And rather than making backers wait to play until reviews etc. are out, we figured we'd just apply the same rules to press as to backers, since they're getting the same thing. We aren't making press "sign an NDA" either, it's just a courtesy we're asking folks to extend to us. I'm sorry it rubs some people the wrong way; there's not really any way to please everyone, but we're trying to strike a decent balance between press, backers, and the general public who won't get to play just yet.
I just don't see the need to put the press getting free copies on the same level as backers who paid to get the game. Who cares if they post their impressions/reviews/whatever before? I was always under the impression that embargoes were a publisher level press-management thing.

Randdalf

I just don't see the need to put the press getting free copies on the same level as backers who paid to get the game. Who cares if they post their impressions/reviews/whatever before? I was always under the impression that embargoes were a publisher level press-management thing.

It gives everyone time to play the game and not have to make snap impressions to score hits more quickly than other sources. At least I think that's the idea behind it; making things more fair for everyone who wants to review the game gets to put as much time into it as they want.

Also, that trailer (that we're not meant to share around yet). Wow.

Purkake4

Banned
It gives everyone time to play the game and not have to make snap impressions to score hits more quickly than other sources. At least I think that's the idea behind it; making things more fair for everyone who wants to review the game gets to put as much time into it as they want.

Also, that trailer (that we're not meant to share around yet). Wow.
Yup, I understand why it's done for press. I don't think people posting their reviews/expressions on say GAF would care about clicks and whatnot.

It's just a matter of courtesy to the people who can't play it yet. It has nothing to do with clicks or anything. We would just prefer that, in the space of time between the backer release and the public release, the internet not immediately fill up with tons of Broken Age spoilers. And, again, I realize that there's nothing we can do about this from a legal standpoint or anything (nor would we attempt to, of course!), it's just that, as an adventure game, experiencing the story details of this game are disproportionately important to the experience relative to most video games.

Just read the email for backers today when I woke up. Very excited on checking it out! Nathan Stapley's art is just so organic; my fingers are itching to get back to digital painting again.

JSoup

Banned
I asked this in one of the other topics, but around when tomorrow should we expect the release to take place? Would a midnight release be a thing that can happen?

Kyari

There are just going to be a massive amount of people streaming this as soon as they can tomorrow despite all this, I imagine.

drgambit

Banned
I went to the bug reporting forums, and somebody has already put a post out there...

...its related to the 'Vella' trailer.

Do people really have no lives to complain about a fucking
trailer
for christs sake?

Purkake4

Banned
It's just a matter of courtesy to the people who can't play it yet. It has nothing to do with clicks or anything. We would just prefer that, in the space of time between the backer release and the public release, the internet not immediately fill up with tons of Broken Age spoilers. And, again, I realize that there's nothing we can do about this from a legal standpoint or anything (nor would we attempt to, of course!), it's just that, as an adventure game, experiencing the story details of this game are disproportionately important to the experience relative to most video games.
Ok, I can see what you're getting at here. I personally don't think it'll change anything, but good luck.

The new trailer on the kickstarter page is wonderful, I had kinda forgotten about the game to be honest.

I was planning on waiting till both parts were out and not play the Beta but after reading the newest update where DF writes that the game feels "polished and satisfying" I think I'll jump in tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

inm8num2

I found it very interesting to revisit this conversation between Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert in which they discussed ideas for the kickstarter ahead of launch, among other things. Nice bookend to where we are now. :)

Of particular note is the part at 32:30. Tim mentions that he remembers Elijah Wood said in an interview that his favorite video game was "Monkey Island". :D

Also noteworthy is the part at 29:50, where Tim mentions his fondness of Nathan "Bagel" Stapley's art and how he'd want to do the game with that visual style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_LWmRJK-g

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Wow at the trailer. Looks way better than I was expecting. The music and voice overs really help sell it.

zroid

Banned
That trailer (ノ ̄д ̄)ノ

Double Fine da gods (ノ ̄д ̄)ノ (ノ ̄д ̄)ノ (ノ ̄д ̄)ノ

Sharp

That trailer is pretty beautiful. I was never really worried about whether this game would turn out well but it's certainly exciting to see how far it's come.

causan

Just watched the newest trailer.

tumblr_mt17zsYLoT1sisy7qo1_500.gif

I haven't been this hyped for a game in years. The documentary is great, and I already know I'll enjoy the game since I love the music, art, writing, and voice acting that has been released early.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about the embargo stuff at all. How can you manage to muster any anger over that?

BraXzy

I wish I'd backed this when I saw it but I didn't have the money too, then I forgot about it and now the chance has passed. Will a purchase of the game at release unlock the documentaries and such? I really want to see them!

zkylon

zkylewd
hope it lives up to expectations, the whole thing's been a pretty emotional ride, following development and the advent of kickstarter, a whole lot is riding on this game. I even got to see tim in person when he came to argentina

I couldn't be more excited for this

louiedog

I just refreshed my humble library and was able to again claim Broken Age on my account.

It appears they purged the system because the new Humble page is a different key.

JSoup

Banned
Noooo, probably gonna be busy around that time :(

Oh well I can wait till evening I guess. I GUESS.

To be fair, you might have to wait until evening to play even if you weren't busy. With 90K copies being downloaded all at once (also depending on the size of the game), it's probably going to take a while.

Ogni-XR21

So looking forward to this. It also seems to scratch an itch I'm currently having with my personal life an career as far as the story seems to go (at least from what I can tell by what I saw until now).

JSoup

Banned
Wait did people already get their humble bundle link? I have not gotten a thing....

There should be a section at the top of your library page saying you've got stuff to claim. You can't actually get your code or anything yet, but you can confirm that humble bundle knows you're supposed to get one.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Wait did people already get their humble bundle link? I have not gotten a thing....

Isn't it at your Humble DoubleFine Bundle page? Or could you slackerback after that as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom